Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One thing I wish I knew is some manufacturers offer an "extended life" kit, which is just another anode rod added to the tank. It seems like it would be fairly cheap to get that installed at the same time as the water heater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Any recommendations for an electric 40 gallon hot water heater?

java fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 24, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

java posted:

Any recommendations for an electric 40 gallon hot water heater?

The common trade-sourced one for your area. Not one from a big box store.

java
May 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

Got it. Thanks!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

I know nothing about them, why not one from the Lowes Depot?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I know nothing about them, why not one from the Lowes Depot?

You can probably find a decent one there, but the normal local tradie one is gonna be a known quantity with available parts that are on everyone's truck. Not some thing they happened to have in the store that may or may not have local parts avaiilability.

I default to "what is common in your area" a lot for the sake of parts and service. While there may be technically better choices, it's gonna suck to not have anyone who knows how to service something and/or nobody's got the parts so it's 3+ days before you can have hot water, heat, AC, a working well, a working toilet, a working shower, etc again.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

it's gonna suck to not have anyone who knows how to service something and/or nobody's got the parts so it's 3+ days before you can have hot water, heat, AC, a working well, a working toilet, a working shower, etc again.

Yea I never really thought about this, its a good point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea I never really thought about this, its a good point.

If you know what you're looking at and do your own service you can get away with a lot more. So I'm not presenting a nuanced opinion here. But I'm presenting one that I think fits with someone asking "which brand/model of home infrastructure should I buy?"

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Moved into a house over the winter and finally got the AC started up and seasonal maintenance check done on it - good pressure/etc. Works great but the compressor in the outdoor unit (not the fan) is drat noisy and of course it was installed on the back patio, making it hard to enjoy.. It's a carrier brand unit - anyone know if that's fixable without spending gobs of $$$ or do I just have to live with it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

unknown posted:

Moved into a house over the winter and finally got the AC started up and seasonal maintenance check done on it - good pressure/etc. Works great but the compressor in the outdoor unit (not the fan) is drat noisy and of course it was installed on the back patio, making it hard to enjoy.. It's a carrier brand unit - anyone know if that's fixable without spending gobs of $$$ or do I just have to live with it

Depends. What kind of noise? It could be a repair issues (rattly sheet metal, bad compressor) or just generic noise. The fan is usually pretty loud, so if something is louder than that is sound like maybe transmitted vibrations? How/what is is mounted on? Perhaps putting it on some rubber isolators or similar could help?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

It is mounted on a 2'x2'x2" concrete/patio slab on the wood deck (ugh), so does vibrate fairly well. I'm looking into a hard rubber pad for that. As to the actual noise, it's just loud db wise, not a rattle of a loose piece of metal. The fan motor is a different noise and lower db level than the compressor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The silver lining is this: if it's hot enough to necessitate air conditioning then the patio is probably too hot to enjoy anyway

(or it can be turned off for the short time that you would want to be outside)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

QuarkJets posted:

The silver lining is this: if it's hot enough to necessitate air conditioning then the patio is probably too hot to enjoy anyway

(or it can be turned off for the short time that you would want to be outside)

This is a somewhat unique opinion. 80F is warm outside for sure, but soak up some sun, maybe take off your shirt, it feels good on my alabaster skin. 80F inside though is no bueno, especially trying to sleep. Very happy I have central air now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

unknown posted:

If the capacitor is old then that can make it louder than normal, but you have no baseline. They're really cheap if you know how to DIY one without blowing your fingers off. Central AC units are loud on their highest settings unless you buy specifically fancy quiet ones.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Home ownership day 1:

Sanding and filling holes in the walls for paint prep.

Cleaned the vaulted tongue & groove ceiling with a micro fiber cloth attached to my pole sander.
While cleaning the quarter round trim near where the ceiling and chimney meet, I pushed right through a piece where the paint was structural.

This will be fun.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

unknown posted:

How old is it? Even when working normally, older AC / heat pumps are just plain loud, especially if it was a builder-grade unit.

The 18 SEER two-stage Goodman I had installed on my old house was far quieter than the 20-year-old Lennox it replaced. As a bonus the noise that it does make is much more "fan" than "compressor" and more easily treated as white noise.

Beef Eater
Aug 27, 2020
My parents and I have a three acre property with our homestead on it. It's near a residential area of town with some suburbs and apartments, and it's zoned residential. It's got a lot of open space and a few outbuildings that are right now just glorified sheds and garages. One half of the property is completely undeveloped and is a liability to us from the labor and equipment we have to put into its maintenance. What I'm wondering is what would be the best way to leverage this property to make some money. My parents and I are all on fixed incomes and it's not enough to live, so we need to figure something out. We're looking at renting out the attic or the basement to a roommate, for one thing. But is there anything else you can use a property like this for?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Well FML. Went to Lowes this weekend and talked with the guy in the appliance center who said I could just buy the Bosch 800 and it would be in by July 12th. I'm in no rush, so I'm game for that. But I'm looking at the floor model and that fucker looks bigger than my 24-in Whirlpool that I want to replace. Store associate (and the internet) are all like, "Dishwashers are all sized to fit any standard hole in your cabinets, so if you already have a 24-in then you're fine." I'm doubtful, so I hold off and go home to re-measure my dishwasher.

First things first, I cannot find the dimensions for this fucker anywhere on the internet. I'm not even sure what year it's from because I cannot find the installation guide for the model # (DU920PFGB3). So I need to measure it myself and just try and be accurate. The width of the thing appears to be standard (and the width of the hole is actually quite a bit larger than 24-in), but the height is only 33 3/4 inches. That seems short, so I ask my wife to independently measure and she gets the same number. She also measures the total height of the hole as 33 13/16...so just short of 33 7/8 inches. I'm thinking that is really small for a height, but I can clearly see there is barely a sliver of clearance between the top of the machine and the counter.

Meanwhile, the specs for the Bosch are all 33.887 inches (or 33 7/8). So it's literally taller than the hole. I drive back over to Lowes to confirm I'm not loving things up and measure the floor model. Yup, it's taller than my dishwasher and the hole. So my wife tells me to just look at all the floor models and find one that's listed as being small enough, and every single machine is either 33.88, or 34 in, or 34.5. All larger than my hole. I swear to Christ, every single appliance left in this house is somehow slightly smaller than it should be. The stove, the fridge, and now the dishwasher are all "non-standard" and somehow barely fitting into holes that are slightly smaller than they should be. Even the other Whirlpools were larger than this thing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

That happened to me, what you need to do is find an appliance store that will sell you the ADA model. ADA models are slightly shorter (~32" tall).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

That happened to me, what you need to do is find an appliance store that will sell you the ADA model. ADA models are slightly shorter (~32" tall).

THANK YOU! That solves it. Now I just need to find a place that sells it.

EDIT: gently caress, I wonder if everything is so wonky here because it's all ADA-models? The place was owned by the same couple for like 50 years, so I'm sure the last surviving owner was pretty old when they got their appliances installed.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 24, 2021

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Beef Eater posted:

But is there anything else you can use a property like this for?

Would you want to sub divide the property selling lots of the unused parts to developers? Depending where you are that could be a good way to pull some money in that you can invest after getting advice on how to do so to generate some income to help.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

33 13/16...so just short of 33 7/8 inches.

This is so close I'm going to suggest that you see if you can pull the dishwasher out. I have a sneaking suspicion someone put in kitchen flooring on top of whatever flooring was already there and jus floored around the dishwasher/cabinets. That type of situation can get ugly for servicing/swapping a dishwasher so better to know now before you commit to a purchase.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Motronic posted:

This is so close I'm going to suggest that you see if you can pull the dishwasher out. I have a sneaking suspicion someone put in kitchen flooring on top of whatever flooring was already there and jus floored around the dishwasher/cabinets. That type of situation can get ugly for servicing/swapping a dishwasher so better to know now before you commit to a purchase.

Its 99.9% gonna be this.

*Maybe* there will be enough room with the adjustable feet fully retracted to get the old one out and the new one in.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Beef Eater posted:

My parents and I have a three acre property with our homestead on it. It's near a residential area of town with some suburbs and apartments, and it's zoned residential. It's got a lot of open space and a few outbuildings that are right now just glorified sheds and garages. One half of the property is completely undeveloped and is a liability to us from the labor and equipment we have to put into its maintenance. What I'm wondering is what would be the best way to leverage this property to make some money. My parents and I are all on fixed incomes and it's not enough to live, so we need to figure something out. We're looking at renting out the attic or the basement to a roommate, for one thing. But is there anything else you can use a property like this for?

How open is the open space? Grassy or wooded? Do you get regular rainfall?

My first thought outside of subdividing and selling off parcels was, if open/sunny with regular rainfall, you could plant a fuckton of cutting flowers and open a flower stand and/or see about becoming a supplier for a local florist or wholesaler. Once you have an acre+ of flowers that bees are going to love, an apiary or hobbyist beekeeper might be interested in renting space for their hives. And you'd probably get some free honey as a bonus.

The thing about cultivating flowers over something like vegetable crops is that other than being way less intensive to operate/maintain, it would be much more likely to fall under allowable subordinate land use for a cottage industry because it's a field of flowers rather than a blatant agricultural operation. And it's something that makes use of the land while keeping it open and full of nature, which I think is a huge plus.

Oh, another thought: could you rent some of the outbuildings to artists as studio space?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

Well crap, I just took a look along the sides with a flashlight and this is indeed the case. It's going to be a bitch to slide the current one out, but it's gotta come out eventually, so what can be done.

I really wonder how old this dang dishwasher is since I don't think the floor was done any time in the last decade.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Well crap, I just took a look along the sides with a flashlight and this is indeed the case. It's going to be a bitch to slide the current one out, but it's gotta come out eventually, so what can be done.

I really wonder how old this dang dishwasher is since I don't think the floor was done any time in the last decade.

There should be a sticker inside, probably on the door. You can put in the part number and get a general idea of the year and also probably find an installation manual online. That might be helpful to see if/how you can retract the leveling feet enough to slip it out from under the counter.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Previous house had a similar issue with the fridge where it was in an alcove in the cabinets that was just too small for standard fridges available from big box stores. In the end I had to shave some off to get it to fit. Sometimes people who are building these things just don’t think about replacing the appliance they have right now.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

BigPaddy posted:

Previous house had a similar issue with the fridge where it was in an alcove in the cabinets that was just too small for standard fridges available from big box stores. In the end I had to shave some off to get it to fit. Sometimes people who are building these things just don’t think about replacing the appliance they have right now.

That's especially bad given how important it is for air to be able to circulate around/behind the fridge.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

GEMorris posted:

Its 99.9% gonna be this.

*Maybe* there will be enough room with the adjustable feet fully retracted to get the old one out and the new one in.

Yup. It was really bad in our case because they tiled it in with Saltillo. Lifting/cutting the counter was out of the question too for us so i ended up literally having to cut the broken dishwasher in half to get it out.

Not a conventional or even recommended solution...but it worked!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Ours was floored in as well but not too terribly, once the toe kick slid out far enough to meet the floor the geometry worked out that I could get it out easily. The downside was the flooring was on top of old flooring and the old flooring wasn't under the dishwasher either so it was a 3/4" recess in there that I had to shim up and it was close but never perfect because it was good enough and I didn't want to pull the washer anymore.

I ended up loving with that thing like 6 times. First install, kitchen remodel, replacing a pump, and cleaning mouse droppings off a couple of times from an infestation that got past our pest control expert, a blind cat.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

StormDrain posted:

I ended up loving with that thing like 6 times. First install, kitchen remodel, replacing a pump, and cleaning mouse droppings off a couple of times from an infestation that got past our pest control expert, a blind cat.

We have 4 cats and somehow I found mouse droppings behind/under the couch in the basement.

Ballsy little idiot; I suspect he got got in the end, though.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

My neighbor's cat goes outside and catches mice to bring inside to play with later so hey, you're at least lucky that your defective killing machines aren't downright malicious.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh right, I keep forgetting I live in the bay area in the middle of a pandemic. Two quotes so far for a 50gal hot water tank + labor + CA earthquake stuff: $3200, $3700. :wtc: If it didn't involve risk of killing my daughter and/or voiding my homeowners' insurance requirement that gas-related items be professionally installed, I'd actually try to do this myself at that price.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
$3528 later, I have hot water again. :suicide:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sundae posted:

Makes you wonder if you should have considered the DIY option of an empty steel 55 gallon drum and some firewood, eh?

Edit: If it's good enough for Goku, it's good enough for me, yeah?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Zarin posted:

Makes you wonder if you should have considered the DIY option of an empty steel 55 gallon drum and some firewood, eh?

Edit: If it's good enough for Goku, it's good enough for me, yeah?

I washed my hair last night with water from an electric kettle. Give me my loving hot water heater.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Not til you enter your PIN number at the ATM Machine!

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sundae posted:

I washed my hair last night with water from an electric kettle. Give me my loving hot water heater.

Y'know, they make dry shampoo.

I've never used it, but I'm aware that it exists.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Cold showers are great. Should’ve just gone for a run beforehand and you would’ve loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Sundae posted:

Out of curiosity, how much did the CA-specific add-ons contribute? That seems beyond excessive for anything less than a 50gal that also serves you premium espresso in the morning. Anti-tipping shouldn't be more than a few securely fastened straps tethered to something solid. If the home collapses from the earthquake, who cares about the water heater?