Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

i am harry posted:

there are accounts of UAPs physically reacting to aircraft, shutting off systems, etc..maybe that would just be a side-effect of something else.
personally a "why" is more interesting than a "what"...like why even be here at all? there can't possibly be anything special here...there are near infinite planets in the universe.

there are so many unanswered questions and i cant even begin to pretend i have a good solid "theory" lmao. i have guesses. like yeah maybe it's just a weird side effect involving some.....quantum disruption i don't know. radiation from space can flip single bits in computers at complete random. If ufos have an extradimensional origin the downside is gonna be that it's plausible that we could never comprehend their effects or the "why" etc. "why" is, as far as we know, a solely human concept. It sounds like a huge cop-out answer and bends into the realm of unfalsifiable hypotheses but I think there is a decent chance we just may never know, and that's ok, as loving annoying as it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hatebag posted:

If humans had the capability to go to other planets where there was intelligent life, we'd obviously murder them and take anything we wanted from them or put them in like psychic slavery or something. Maybe the aliens are just having a look-see because they're observing all intelligent life they find and this is just one planet they're watching, or they're prepping us to be enslaved in their hellraiser psychic slavery devices where we're all tortured until death to fuel their flying saucers

the idea of hostile aliens imo is more of a cultural fear than a plausible one. we absolutely would do that because we are descended from apes with a brutal social hierarchy. we have all sorts of cultural baggage and history involving colonization, war, destruction. I'm of the opinion that it is perfectly possible that an alien species could evolve with intelligence without the brutality that came along with our monkey brains.

as an example, imagine a species that shares a consciousness, similar to an intelligent fungus. It may still require a form of social intelligence to maintain, but it might not necessitate brutal violence.

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 00:07 on May 24, 2021

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

The extra dimensional explanation doesn't make sense because if m-theory is correct we live in a universe with 10 spacial dimensions plus time. We're in 11-dimensional timespace, the 7 dimensions we can't perceive were inside us all along. Like the coordinates we perceive are (x,y,z,t) but really there's a bunch of other ones to make some equations work.
Unless you're talking about beings from a parallel universe

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

the idea of hostile aliens imo is more of a cultural fear than a plausible one. we absolutely would do that because we are descended from apes with a brutal social hierarchy. we have all sorts of cultural baggage and history involving colonization, war, destruction. I'm of the opinion that it is perfectly possible that an alien species could evolve with intelligence without the brutality that came along with our monkey brains.

as an example, imagine a species that shares a consciousness, similar to an intelligent fungus. It may still require a form of social intelligence to maintain, but it might not necessitate brutal violence.

Yeah on the one hand i doubt that a species like us could keep from killing itself before it got to interstellar travel but what if there's just some extremely powerful immortal demigod ruling the evil alien empire and he keeps everyone under his control with a vast network of spies and brutal domination. I guess that's just god emperor of dune or warhammer lol

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Hatebag posted:

The extra dimensional explanation doesn't make sense because if m-theory is correct we live in a universe with 10 spacial dimensions plus time. We're in 11-dimensional timespace, the 7 dimensions we can't perceive were inside us all along. Like the coordinates we perceive are (x,y,z,t) but really there's a bunch of other ones to make some equations work.
Unless you're talking about beings from a parallel universe

im definitely not gonna speculate as far as a parallel universe because then id just be bullshitting and moving the goalposts. im curious as to a more in-depth explanation of m-theory though if you can link to one

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Hatebag posted:

Yeah on the one hand i doubt that a species like us could keep from killing itself before it got to interstellar travel but what if there's just some extremely powerful immortal demigod ruling the evil alien empire and he keeps everyone under his control with a vast network of spies and brutal domination. I guess that's just god emperor of dune or warhammer lol

Agreed, we're basically speed running towards Necromunda as it's.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

That's the poo poo I want, put it right into my veins.

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

i am harry posted:

there are accounts of UAPs physically reacting to aircraft, shutting off systems, etc..maybe that would just be a side-effect of something else.
personally a "why" is more interesting than a "what"...like why even be here at all? there can't possibly be anything special here...there are near infinite planets in the universe.

the answer to the why question, might have something to do with the Fermi paradox. its probably the cia, its always the cia

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Bullfrog posted:

im definitely not gonna speculate as far as a parallel universe because then id just be bullshitting and moving the goalposts. im curious as to a more in-depth explanation of m-theory though if you can link to one

I've been reading about M-theory for like a decade and my understanding of it is murky at best. The wikipedia seems ok, idk though:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
Basically general relativity and quantum mechanics had a baby called string theory, and then the strings grew another dimension and became membranes, and that's m-theory and now there're 11 dimensions

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Hatebag posted:

I've been reading about M-theory for like a decade and my understanding of it is murky at best. The wikipedia seems ok, idk though:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-theory
Basically general relativity and quantum mechanics had a baby called string theory, and then the strings grew another dimension and became membranes, and that's m-theory and now there're 11 dimensions

trump's dad gives good brane theory

Backcountry
Jan 16, 2009
Back in the 90’s I worked with a guy who saw a UFO. He was solid and stable average guy. Read the sports page, had a newborn, new house, tucked his shirt in. Nothing prior led me to believe he was anything but a guys guys.

Anyway, I was extremely counter culture and it was obvious being around me. Sp we were very different but had a good working friendship.

One day he pulls me aside and says “Hey man, cal I talk to you about something?”

He starts to tell me about how he thinks he and some friends saw a UFO while driving through Chickamauga battlefield, and he is afraid his family, friends and pastor would all think he’s crazy.

I Immediately started asking direct questions like “how far were you from it, what was it’s shape, did it make noise, how long did you see it, was anyone with you” and stuff like that.

He goes on to exactly describe what is now referred to as a black triangle UFO. I was never into UFOs so this was the first time I’d heard about such a thing. I kinda freaked out when years later stories of exactly what he described starts showing up all over.

Anyway, personally I think they are A.I. from our future.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Backcountry posted:

Back in the 90’s I worked with a guy who saw a UFO. He was solid and stable average guy. Read the sports page, had a newborn, new house, tucked his shirt in. Nothing prior led me to believe he was anything but a guys guys.

Anyway, I was extremely counter culture and it was obvious being around me. Sp we were very different but had a good working friendship.

One day he pulls me aside and says “Hey man, cal I talk to you about something?”

He starts to tell me about how he thinks he and some friends saw a UFO while driving through Chickamauga battlefield, and he is afraid his family, friends and pastor would all think he’s crazy.

I Immediately started asking direct questions like “how far were you from it, what was it’s shape, did it make noise, how long did you see it, was anyone with you” and stuff like that.

He goes on to exactly describe what is now referred to as a black triangle UFO. I was never into UFOs so this was the first time I’d heard about such a thing. I kinda freaked out when years later stories of exactly what he described starts showing up all over.

calling it now, tr3b is gonna replace the f22

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Backcountry posted:

superintelligent AI from the present that just set up shop in the deep ocean so it can keep itself cool and tap geothermal + mineral resources on the ocean floor, imo. thats my stupid scifi poo poo bet

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ill be sad if TR-3B ends up being a blimp but the full circle "airships" story would be pretty great

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Here's the Washington Post today on UFO chatter, but in the local section, nothing really new:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/05/23/ufo-report-sightings-search/

My boring cold water take:

* Several years ago, Senator Reid got money to "look into" UFOs more or less as a pet project for constituents and locals
* The money was spent to look into UFOs
* After looking into UFOs, these videos and images were found and are now going to be released

So it's less "breaking crazy new evidence" and more "this is the result of what Reid put in motion years ago." Some unexplainable shapes moving around near planes, but like... not little green men.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

bigelow didnt find poo poo

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

i am harry posted:

Unless ftl, intergalactic wormholes or whatever other magic is a thing travel is probably limited to within the Milky Way. The Milky Way is ~100,000 light years across, so moving at .1 lightspeed(extremely fast but not magic) gets you across in 1 million years. The closest galaxy to ours is Andromeda which is 2.5 million light years away and there's nothing in between, it's a whole next level of vast and that's the absolute closest one.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Unless ftl, intergalactic wormholes or whatever other magic is a thing travel is probably limited to within the Milky Way. The Milky Way is ~100,000 light years across, so moving at .1 lightspeed(extremely fast but not magic) gets you across in 1 million years. The closest galaxy to ours is Andromeda which is 2.5 million light years away and there's nothing in between, it's a whole next level of vast and that's the absolute closest one.

smh at this guy ignoring the megellanic clouds and other dwarf galaxies where most of the most interesting astronomy is happening

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Mr. Sharps posted:

smh at this guy ignoring the megellanic clouds and other dwarf galaxies where most of the most interesting astronomy is happening

Woops you're right, I legit thought Andromeda was the closest in the local cluster but not even close.

Err I meant closest full galaxy that's the ticket

Ratios and Tendency has issued a correction as of 01:49 on May 24, 2021

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even the feds coming out and saying "we found poo poo and we have no idea" would be existentially terrifying for a lot of folks so it'd be interesting for that to be the message they go with

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
Everything will be revealed July 8th or possibly 18th

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueHistor...utm_name=iossmf

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

quote:

9. Genghis Khan : Yesugen

This is fun

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Think Less posted:

really been grooving on the poo poo being dumped ITT, keep it up folks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The cynic in me knows that you're just a god tier larper, the human in me is too loving dumb to not get suckered in. pls be real

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

superintelligent AI from the present that just set up shop in the deep ocean so it can keep itself cool and tap geothermal + mineral resources on the ocean floor, imo. thats my stupid scifi poo poo bet

This might be a tidy way to clear up "The Bloop"

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The human in me also loves that subreddit and is excited to see what the next few months bring

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Think Less posted:

I'm going to have a BBQ on those days :)

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

coelomate posted:

The human in me also loves that subreddit and is excited to see what the next few months bring

Considering the topic of the thread this is very sus wording :thunk:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
very obvious ARGs are less interesting to me

i mean i'm happy people are having fun on the internet, but i just think it's important we keep the tone of discussion a little higher here in the ufology thread on the leftist shitposting subforum of a very dead and gay discussion board of a derelect and disgraced comedy website.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

my theory for how jeff goldblum's virus worked is that it didn't actually break or shut down any of the aliens' computers its just that the laughing skull was so spooky they all were scared to death

Did that ever get used in an apple commercial? How could it not have

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Inspector Hound posted:

Did that ever get used in an apple commercial? How could it not have

Made Macs cool again in the way Oregon trail in the school computer lab never could.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Independence Day terrified me as a child.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK6xkOizAbU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Gods_Butthole posted:

This might be a tidy way to clear up "The Bloop"

Someone said this was actually an iceberg calving of something

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Zisky posted:

Independence Day terrified me as a child.

I pretended to laugh at mars attacks but it secretly gave me nightmares for months

edit, same with the movie Critters, which I saw on daytime tv at 2pm as a 7 year old

Zisky
May 6, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I pretended to laugh at mars attacks but it secretly gave me nightmares for months

I couldn't even make it all the way through Mars Attacks when my mom took me to see it, she had to take me out of the theater.

I had dreams about it for what felt like forever

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

edit: this really is incredible vid, wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Ifj2DgBGg

Bullfrog has issued a correction as of 04:59 on May 24, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
and when the ghoulies went to college...*shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

after tromp failed to die of covid i feel like i can deal with pretty much any hopes and expectations that don't pan out

let's goooooooooo