Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

He’s been tossed out of just about everywhere else.

Yeah, Zak made Ettin post his legally required apology pretty much everywhere Zak has been kicked out of, no doubt Zak appealing to his own narcissism. "Now that one person's been proven wrong, they'll all have to listen to me and let me back in!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arivia posted:

The Troika crew that he refers to as being trolls are very much being a harasser crew on Twitter. It's Zak being the broken clock that's right twice a day, his guesses about what the gently caress is up with them are all wrong, but he's right to call them out because they've very much been trying to establish themselves as the in-crew for the OSR and related circles and shutting down anything and anyone they don't like.

Can you provide some further context/receipts for this? As someone who recently stumbled onto Troika it seemed like a great community, but I like to know who my RPG dollars are supporting and that doesn’t sound great :(

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mode 7 posted:

Can you provide some further context/receipts for this? As someone who recently stumbled onto Troika it seemed like a great community, but I like to know who my RPG dollars are supporting and that doesn’t sound great :(

Only thing I've seen was some woman got into a conflict with them over some DMs, she called them out, they reviewed her products on itch and bombed them, seemingly. There's a lot of backstabby poo poo in that crew as well, there was some weird as gently caress drama regarding Skerples(OSR blogger, creator) choosing to remain aggressively anonymous(and why wouldn't he at this point, with Zak firing off lawsuits and people and Skerples being a Canadian, its easier to win defamation suits in Canada) and acting like this was some kind of pile of horrid red flags. Someone else blundered into it from the Troika crowd, made some dark intimations and mutterings about how bad of a dude he might be, and then everyone who had ever worked with Skerples popped up to say "actually he's not anonymous to me, I got my money on time and with a name attached???????????? wtf"

That's the long and short of the drama, people just getting mad and stirring poo poo. But I don't follow Troika regardless. Zak probably hates them because they poo poo-talk him from time to time.

Them reviewbombing someone apparently:
https://twitter.com/ForestedDepth/status/1370829733030600704

The recent drama in march:
https://twitter.com/j_d_duncan/status/1376276506951946242

https://twitter.com/Skerples1/status/1377011017847250946

https://twitter.com/Skerples1/status/1376677304596787207

https://twitter.com/TrebuchetOps/status/1376645839112798219

It's a lot of storm in a teacup slapfighting, but maybe Arivia has more insight. The OSR community is way too stressful to keep up with, lots of weird backbiting behind the scenes.

Michael's always been nice to me. But it's kind of funny with him trying to sell people on the idea that someone going:
"being anonymous all the time? fishy."
"bro im right here, wtf"
"no i meant someone else"

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 23, 2021

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I appreciate you providing some further information but this is just reinforcing that I loving hate Twitter and Twitter discourse because most of those threads are obnoxious vagueposting that doesn't actually loving name anyone.
Like even at a base level, how are either Michael T Lombardi or Skerples related to Troika?

I promise I'm not trying some sort of "just asking questions" schtick I just don't follow anything on Twitter so I feel extremely out of the loop.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Mode 7 posted:

I appreciate you providing some further information but this is just reinforcing that I loving hate Twitter and Twitter discourse because most of those threads are obnoxious vagueposting that doesn't actually loving name anyone.
Like even at a base level, how are either Michael T Lombardi or Skerples related to Troika?

I promise I'm not trying some sort of "just asking questions" schtick I just don't follow anything on Twitter so I feel extremely out of the loop.

Anecdata at best, but Lombardi is buddies with one of the Melsonian Art Council crew (infinite_mao on Twitter), and the latter was taking potshots at Skerples oh so coincidentally right about when the "if you're anonymous you must surely be up to no good" smearing started. And if I recall correctly shortly before the Xmas holidays Skerples reviewed a Melsonian Arts Council book and was less than glowing (about it and Troika in general), though still frankly fairly inoffensive about it if you ask me.

So, yeah, it's just backbiting on the part of some Troika folks and their associates.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

taichara posted:

Anecdata at best, but Lombardi is buddies with one of the Melsonian Art Council crew (infinite_mao on Twitter), and the latter was taking potshots at Skerples oh so coincidentally right about when the "if you're anonymous you must surely be up to no good" smearing started. And if I recall correctly shortly before the Xmas holidays Skerples reviewed a Melsonian Arts Council book and was less than glowing (about it and Troika in general), though still frankly fairly inoffensive about it if you ask me.

So, yeah, it's just backbiting on the part of some Troika folks and their associates.

Yeah Skerples as far as I know has only gone in hard on one person, and that was Zak. I really liked his response to finding out Zak had an actual dossier of everyone who ever slandered him

Warthur
May 2, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Yeah Skerples as far as I know has only gone in hard on one person, and that was Zak. I really liked his response to finding out Zak had an actual dossier of everyone who ever slandered him
Link the response?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Mode 7 posted:

As someone who recently stumbled onto Troika it seemed like a great community, but I like to know who my RPG dollars are supporting and that doesn’t sound great :(

For what it's worth, I think Jared/infinite_mao is the only one of the Troika!-adjacent fight-pickers who's actually worked on any official Troika! stuff. The game's creator, Daniel Sell, is no longer on Twitter, but the only discourse-y stuff I remember seeing from him was getting a little snippy when someone called out some Troika! content for being imperialist/ableist... and then within 24 hours, he publicly announced a concrete plan for addressing the criticism, which he actually followed through on.

The rest of them are mostly just involved with making third-party content, as far as I can tell, and aren't really problematic or harmful so much as annoying.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Warthur posted:

Link the response?
I'll find the screencap for you(Google+) but he basically said "huh. I guess I wasnt expecting you to actually have a dossier."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Jared/infinite_mao is the Melsonian Arts Council guy who is most outspoken and frankly, he has terrible ideas about game design and gets very moralistic about them.

He likes to hate on The Forge and accuse people who say 'system matters' of being outright coercive, and he and a clique around them like to accuse indie games of having the outlook or approach of a corporation and therefore not really being indie.

It has the very definite feeling of, like, niche protection - going after possible competition in the indie space as somehow corrupt, or indie outlooks that care about game design qua game systems as somehow coercive.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Jared is someone I used to follow back when I started using twitter and eventually had to block because in addition to what everyone else has said, they also seem to love posting "hot take" clickbait just to stir poo poo up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I do not have any more particular insight into the Jared/Axes and Orcs clique, I've just seen them go after friends of mine and try to stay out of their way. Same as pretty much everyone else here.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Joe Slowboat posted:

He likes to hate on The Forge and accuse people who say 'system matters' of being outright coercive, and he and a clique around them like to accuse indie games of having the outlook or approach of a corporation and therefore not really being indie.

Wait, was he the guy that melted down at the Death in Space guy for "ripping off" Mothership based on a two-page preview in a tweet, then admitted he didn't know anything about the game and just assumed they were the same genre because the art had spaceships?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This might not be a good example because that 'I'm the toxic one' comment is referring to Lane posting people's actual info in Discords and harassing someone who gave their work a bad review, so the review-bombing might be in response to that.

EDIT: Not trying to say that the people involved aren't poo poo, just that Lane is poo poo too. There is no-one good in that tweet.

Tsilkani fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 23, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Wait, was he the guy that melted down at the Death in Space guy for "ripping off" Mothership based on a two-page preview in a tweet, then admitted he didn't know anything about the game and just assumed they were the same genre because the art had spaceships?

YEP

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tsilkani posted:

There is no-one good in that tweet.

This could be the thread title

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
One of the Troika folks is a goon, SoundNinja, who did a lot to encourage me to publish my games, and does a lot to help push others with his yearly contest.

I wouldn't presume them to be lock-step from everything I've seen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One of the Troika folks is a goon, SoundNinja, who did a lot to encourage me to publish my games, and does a lot to help push others with his yearly contest.

I wouldn't presume them to be lock-step from everything I've seen.

Yeah, I think that's a good point to clarify: not everyone who worked on/plays/creates content for Troika is someone lovely, far from it. It's just this group of lovely people on Twitter who kind of coalesced around Troika and publishing stuff for it that are the problem, but they're a subset, not the whole.

beeoi
Mar 4, 2012

I don't know much about Troika as a whole because their whole brand seems to be willful obscurantism, but I can confirm that Jared, Lombardi and some others (others who seem to spend half their twitter presence with twitter on private and the other half fighting battles for these two) are without exaggeration some of the scummiest people I've ever encountered on the internet, to the point where I can name actual criminals I respect more. Having bad game design principles and being very vocal about it is no big deal. Trying to shame and deride people into following lock-step with these principles is bad, but also, sadly, so common it's not worth caring about. Taking these principles so far as to organize and encourage your clique to review bomb people you don't' like and purposefully run people off twitter for imagined slights manifested by petty differences is where it starts going from stupid and obnoxious to Actually Really loving Bad.

But I think the worst thing about them is that, unlike most other arrogant RPG ideologues, if you actually take the time to ask them what the gently caress they are actually talking about and why they are this angry about it, they will either sarcastically deflect you or just straight up refuse to answer/block you.

beeoi fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 23, 2021

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Tsilkani posted:

This might not be a good example because that 'I'm the toxic one' comment is referring to Lane posting people's actual info in Discords and harassing someone who gave their work a bad review, so the review-bombing might be in response to that.

EDIT: Not trying to say that the people involved aren't poo poo, just that Lane is poo poo too. There is no-one good in that tweet.

:stare:
So yeah, theres a reason I stopped paying attention to the community, wrote my own system, took stonehell and all the gillespie books and hosed right off.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I... think that was a buddy of his, not Jared himself? But I think Jared weighed in supporting said guy.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Warthur posted:

Link the response?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NxvQodb0TbfoEraMLy0DFtgRRwUt8lgl/view

Skerples provided the entire conversion.

So yes, Zak has a dossier, and each and every thing you say about him is almost certainly screenshotted and backed up, based on this assertion. lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't want to devote my life to fighting on the Internet, but you see, MY GIRLFRIEND, who is very sick, says it's very important, so when you think about it, disagreeing with me is attacking a disabled woman, I'm suing you

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Well, now that he doesn't have the sick girlfriend anymore (because she left him over being an abusive rapist), he has been more free to sue people (for calling him an abusive rapist).

Such as his former sick girlfriend.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

LatwPIAT posted:

Well, now that he doesn't have the sick girlfriend anymore (because she left him over being an abusive rapist), he has been more free to sue people (for calling him an abusive rapist).

This was the sick girlfriend who he was super busy caring for and thus could not be expected to answer questions about his various deranged allegations and so on, right?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So yes, Zak has a dossier, and each and every thing you say about him is almost certainly screenshotted and backed up, based on this assertion. lol

Sounds like the worlds worst Monster Manual.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm just imagining sarcasticly inquiring after someone's Enemies List and they respond by immediately confirming it's existance.

LOL, but also :psyduck:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I wonder if he's got every white-noise grogs.txter on there, tagged with who they might be an alt of.

hi zak its me ur roomie shannon

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He most definitely did.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

Even before Mandy came out with the least surprising news ever, he would post stuff like "Well guys I've got to go I have a sick girlfriend and dozens of trolls to deal with" and I was like uhhh dude get your priorities straight

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I wonder if he's got every white-noise grogs.txter on there, tagged with who they might be an alt of.

hi zak its me ur roomie shannon

He tracks threads here still and will screenshot and "rebut" poo poo on them on his own blog, so yeah he's been doing this for years.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nuns with Guns posted:

He tracks threads here still and will screenshot and "rebut" poo poo on them on his own blog, so yeah he's been doing this for years.
They say "living well is the best revenge"

Obsessively screencapping posts on a message board you got kicked off of five years ago in order to "rebut" them is the exact opposite of living well, and is thus the worst revenge.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

FMguru posted:

They say "living well is the best revenge"

Obsessively screencapping posts on a message board you got kicked off of five years ago in order to "rebut" them is the exact opposite of living well, and is thus the worst revenge.

Nah its the best revenge. Cultivating bootlickers who get banned for discussing BLM is a sign you are on the right track.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
that's amazing considering how many people on this thread have publically stated, or privately admitted to me, that they personally know zak and take great glee in posting about him here. It's shocking how many people who constantly talk about him online have had many face-to-face interactions with him personally and professionally. I'd imagine that at this point almost anyone he's interacted with IRL is likely a poster in this subforum.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nah its the best revenge. Cultivating bootlickers who get banned for discussing BLM is a sign you are on the right track.

God, I always love accounts like that too.

"You see, there I was being the most polite and rational person who is also very smart, and they BANNED me - ME! - for being so smart and rational, can you believe it?"

You just know he linked some goddamn National Review article or some poo poo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Darwinism posted:

God, I always love accounts like that too.

"You see, there I was being the most polite and rational person who is also very smart, and they BANNED me - ME! - for being so smart and rational, can you believe it?"

You just know he linked some goddamn National Review article or some poo poo

If you like that, have this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYBsh4rjrY

Please do note the image of him as Socrates taking Hemlock. You may be thinking this is some 2015 - 2017 video, but this man decided to get into the "historical figure with meme poo poo edited onto it rantsona" thing in 2020!

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 24, 2021

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

If you like that, have this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxYBsh4rjrY

Please do note the image of him as Socrates taking Hemlock. You may be thinking this is some 2015 - 2017 video, but this man decided to get into the "historical figure with meme poo poo edited onto it rantsona" thing in 2020!

"My name is Malcolm Rose and I write about cryptocurrencies and run a gaming YouTube channel."

It's like they make these fuckers in a factory

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Darwinism posted:

"My name is Malcolm Rose and I write about cryptocurrencies and run a gaming YouTube channel."

It's like they make these fuckers in a factory

They stole one of the machines used to make 90% of Twitch streamers and Twitter checkmarks and somehow found a more evil purpose for it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Impermanent posted:

that's amazing considering how many people on this thread have publically stated, or privately admitted to me, that they personally know zak and take great glee in posting about him here. It's shocking how many people who constantly talk about him online have had many face-to-face interactions with him personally and professionally. I'd imagine that at this point almost anyone he's interacted with IRL is likely a poster in this subforum.
This isn't surprising; the "let's talk about RPGs online" scene is very small in the grand scheme of things. I know a bunch of people who have interacted with Zak in passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Also, for about 5, maybe 10 minutes when Zak showed up, he was very popular with the burgeoning OSR crowd. He had a hip actual play blog, he pushed hard for OSR success... it's just once people interacted with him for a while that the red flags started popping up.