Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Saladman posted:

Luxembourg has won Eurovision 5 times?? Good lord.

Hell, their 1967 entry was big enough that I'd hear I recongnized it from regular US oldies stations, from before I moved to Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah exactly Luxembourg used to be the centre of europe's music industry because they could broadcast stuff into surrounding countries while circumventing those country's laws. Also tax avoidance.

Read up on RTL (Radio and Television Luxemburg). They had stations in basically every surrounding country and RTL tv stations are still a thing, at least by name.

For instance RTL was the first commercial television station in the Netherlands, back when only public tv was allowed. They claimed back then that their (Dutch language) shows were recorded in Luxemburg but they never were, they just routed the signal through Luxemburg and back.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1396763211270086660?s=20

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Blut posted:

5 wins for Luxembourg, 5 wins for the Netherlands and 5 wins for Ireland. The secret to Eurovision success appears to be enabling corporate tax evasion.

7 for ireland! Though most of those wins were because none of the other countries wanted to host

There is a good documentary about it called "My Lovely Horse"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Blut posted:

5 wins for Luxembourg, 5 wins for the Netherlands and 5 wins for Ireland. The secret to Eurovision success appears to be enabling corporate tax evasion.

More presidents of the EU have also been from Luxembourg than any other country. I'm too lazy to make a map but presumably everyone here can visualize, number of EU presidents & amount of time they served:

Luxembourg: 3 (4 years + 4 years + 5 years)
France: 2 (4 years + 10 years)
Germany: 2 (10 years + 1.5 years, current incumbent)
Italy: 2 (1.5 years + 5 years)
Portugal: 1 (10 years)
UK: 1 (4 years)
Belgium: 1 (3 years)
Netherlands: 1 (not even 1 year)
Spain (6 months)

A five minute Wikipedia read synopsis: Apparently the Spain one was interim because he was VP under Jacques Santer, who was forced out because he was accused of corruption, but the investigation "only" found his administration to be grossly incompetent. NL was short for a similar reason, the previous Italian president resigned because he wanted to run for some Italian office. Not sure why the Belgian one was shorter.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 24, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This map gets updated pretty regularly

Should I use timg for these huge maps, or just post em in full?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This map gets updated pretty regularly

Use timg, please

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah exactly Luxembourg used to be the centre of europe's music industry because they could broadcast stuff into surrounding countries while circumventing those country's laws. Also tax avoidance.

Not just surrounding countries; Radio Lux was a thing all the way up in Norway when my parents were teenagers in the 60s.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Just post them unless they have super narrow aspect ratio.

The full image loads even with timg and large images no longer break tables. They just rescale to column width. No harm done.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Just post them unless they have super narrow aspect ratio.

The full image loads even with timg and large images no longer break tables. They just rescale to column width. No harm done.

I prefer timg because it lets me easily scroll up and down the thread, zooming in only where I need to.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blut posted:

That's 7 for Ireland based on that map (and 6 for Sweden)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

That's 7 for Ireland based on that map (and 6 for Sweden)

And weird, Luxembourg withdrew in 1994 and stopped participating after that? Odd.

Here's a map of qualifiers since 1994:

So Eurovision has turned into like an entirely Eastern European thing? Like not even a single qualification for France, Germany, Spain, the UK, or Italy in 25 years? I guess that's why I basically never hear anything about it except when the finals come around and it shows up on the free tabloid newspaper for a day or two.

VVV: Ahh, that makes way more sense. Weird map then, if it's impossible to directly compare countries.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:43 on May 26, 2021

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Saladman posted:

And weird, Luxembourg withdrew in 1994 and stopped participating after that? Odd.

Here's a map of qualifiers since 1994:

So Eurovision has turned into like an entirely Eastern European thing? Like not even a single qualification for France, Germany, Spain, the UK, or Italy in 25 years? I guess that's why I basically never hear anything about it except when the finals come around and it shows up on the free tabloid newspaper for a day or two.
The big ones are automatically qualified, because they throw the most money at the EBU.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The big ones are automatically qualified, because they throw the most money at the EBU blackmail the EBU with their viewership numbers.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I would be salty for Eurovision, but this dumb system gave us this year’s UK entry in the finals and I just laughed for the entire three minutes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also anyone who is in the top 10 (I think) automatically qualifies the next time

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Eurovision is the binocular football of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChK_kp-P9I0

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Also anyone who is in the top 10 (I think) automatically qualifies the next time

This was only a thing when there was one semifinal, not two. Currently only the big five + host (= previous winner) auto-qualify.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Back in the late 90s there was concern that the jury vote system was open to regional horse trading so the EBU decided to go towards televoting instead.

This, of course, made everything worse. By 2010, the EBU decided to go towards a 50/50 split which levelled the playing field for Western Europe a little and, in 2016, decided to award jury and televoting points separately.

Of course, this has rather exposed an uncomfortable truth, especially this year: black artists do much worse in the televote than the jury vote. Malta was the notable example, a potential winner which came third in the jury vote but fourteenth in the televote.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Young, attractive, and/or white artists tend to do better in televoting yeah. A winner is usually all three of these. Incidentally it gives me some semblance of hope that Eastern Europe keeps sending interchangeable scantily-clad ladies with early 2000's eurobeats and they didn't perform well this year.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

After Bucks Fizz won, partially because of the costume change during the key change, a lot of acts tried with various successes to do the same. I think that trend pretty was finally killed stone dead after Germany sent Dita Von Teese to dance around and ended up 20th.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

What is that Soviet enclave in Eastern Europe...?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Kaliningrad has been slowly moving north since the 40s.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

TinTower posted:

Malta was the notable example, a potential winner which came third in the jury vote but fourteenth in the televote.
Problem with Malta is that their song sucked. Italy deserved the win and were almost robbed by the juries. Abolish the jury vote, democracy now!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Italy deserved the win and they have been slowly working on it for years, sending one good song after another - remember Mahmood? But that Malta song is an ear worm, you can’t deny that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Deltasquid posted:

Probably supposed to be albania.
I want to know what happened to Rügen? Was it expanded and moved west? And the polish coast.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Glah posted:

Problem with Malta is that their song sucked. Italy deserved the win and were almost robbed by the juries. Abolish the jury vote, democracy now!

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKiHr5qEfA?

TinTower posted:

Of course, this has rather exposed an uncomfortable truth, especially this year: black artists do much worse in the televote than the jury vote. Malta was the notable example, a potential winner which came third in the jury vote but fourteenth in the televote.

TBH just from watching that video I would have guessed she was of Polynesian heritage, except maybe if I just saw the one scene with her in an afro wig. I'm not sure that racism is the best explanation for that particular singer, or at least not anti-African racism. It'd be interesting to see general stats on it, and I'm sure you're correct in the general trend. Seems like ripe statistics for a polisci paper. My wife lol'd at me when I first told her that many people were considered "black" in the US, like Trevor Noah.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deltasquid posted:

Based on the shape it's Kaliningrad, but shifted far to the east along with the rest of the border. It looks like the USSR begins at more or less the Astrakhan-Archangel line.

E: also note that the North Caucasus region is on the wrong side of the Caspian (and also it's just Russia not the USSR borders with the satellite republics)

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 27, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Interactive map of the Greenwood neighborhood and how it was torn apart by the Tulsa massacre.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
That just looks like the Asian part of the USSR but also including Kiev and parts of the Kola peninsula?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

tractor fanatic posted:

That just looks like the Asian part of the USSR but also including Kiev and parts of the Kola peninsula?

That was my first thought but it's really not even close to the generally accepted Europe/Asia border.

Also, RIP Alaska

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah it's literally some sort of affine transformation that's pushed modern day Russia a little south and very east.

Upon closer inspection the USA is wrong too, though to a much less obvious degree. The great lakes don't match up with the flag overlay, and San Diego and Seattle have apparently been ceded away.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

TinTower posted:

Back in the late 90s there was concern that the jury vote system was open to regional horse trading so the EBU decided to go towards televoting instead.

This, of course, made everything worse. By 2010, the EBU decided to go towards a 50/50 split which levelled the playing field for Western Europe a little and, in 2016, decided to award jury and televoting points separately.

It's possible, but Eurovision is a lot more inclusive than many other types of talent or award shows, I would wager, there's a pretty amazing variety in gender expression, sexuality, age and body type if you look at a historical list of all winners. It's true (IIRC) a black artist has never won Eurovision, but the percentage of black people in EBU countries is maybe something like 3% overall, yet every Eurovision edition I can think of in recent memory had a few black artists on stage. If countries didn't think black people could win the contest, they wouldn't send them.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
re: Malta in Eurovision

While no one can deny that European are very racist in many ways, it should also be noted that Malta gets absolutely wrecked by televotes pretty much every time (you need a really good song to compensate for the lack of neighbouring countries and expats)

note: on average country would get same score from both jury and public.

2016: Jury: 137, Televote: 16
2017: Jury: 55, Televote: 0
2018: Jury: 93, Televote: 8
2019: Jury: 87, Televote: 20
2021: Jury: 208, Televote: 47

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's possible, but Eurovision is a lot more inclusive than many other types of talent or award shows, I would wager, there's a pretty amazing variety in gender expression, sexuality, age and body type if you look at a historical list of all winners. It's true (IIRC) a black artist has never won Eurovision, but the percentage of black people in EBU countries is maybe something like 3% overall, yet every Eurovision edition I can think of in recent memory had a few black artists on stage. If countries didn't think black people could win the contest, they wouldn't send them.

Dave Benton was part of the Estonian winning act from 2001, but other than that, there haven't been any black winners.

Saladman posted:

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKiHr5qEfA?
TBH just from watching that video I would have guessed she was of Polynesian heritage, except maybe if I just saw the one scene with her in an afro wig. I'm not sure that racism is the best explanation for that particular singer, or at least not anti-African racism. It'd be interesting to see general stats on it, and I'm sure you're correct in the general trend. Seems like ripe statistics for a polisci paper. My wife lol'd at me when I first told her that many people were considered "black" in the US, like Trevor Noah.

It's not just anti-black racism, mind you — Australia also got bitten badly in 2017, when their Aboriginal Australian entry got 171 points from juries but only two from the televote — but this year it seemed more perniciously aimed towards the black performers.

There's a really good twitter thread from someone who's way more into Eurovision than I am, though, and replies to the thread back the assumption up.

https://twitter.com/scattermoon/status/1396398769516785666

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kennel posted:

That was my first thought but it's really not even close to the generally accepted Europe/Asia border.

Also, RIP Alaska

Just because Russia has a province much further west doesn't make that not part of the landmass of Europe.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I believe green + cyan is meant to be Europe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Doesn't Eurovision also have hilarious nationalist voting patterns? I've never followed it but I could have sworn I read something about people specifically voting against their nationals rivals.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't Eurovision also have hilarious nationalist voting patterns? I've never followed it but I could have sworn I read something about people specifically voting against their nationals rivals.

Here's what I know about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
It's more or less accurate, but politics have shifted a bit since then. Ireland gave zero points to the UK this year (as did everybody else)