Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/orangecassidy/status/1396637199731499011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

CHARLES IN CHARGE
OF OUR WRONGS
AND OUR RIGHTS

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I'm just coming the total opposite direction. I liked that week of backstage brawling, but after that let's get to the matches. Hopefully IC loses and we can move on. I don't get the "rush" thing when this Jericho/MJF story has been going on for months. I don't feel deprived of like New Japan style undercard tags of Spears & FTR vs Guevara & PnP. Would the matches be good? Yeah probably, but I'm good on this story going even longer.

wait, what the gently caress

you want them to get to the matches but you also don't want them to get to the matches?

I want them to stop with the bad sports entertainment segments and to do better ones, and also to get to the matches, it's a five on five stable war, there are so many combinations I would love to see in singles matches, tag matches, and even trios matches, before I need another big match like stadium stampede or blood and guts

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/AnthonyOgogo/status/1396657354737913859

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Impact's teasing his appearances, the WWE's wishing him a happy birthday. Everyone wants a piece of the American Dragon! Yet we still have no idea where he's going in the wrestling world, so now we're back to revisiting a much less compelling one instead. Time for Episode 3, The Talented Mr. Long.

Episode starts introducing a magical artifact that's been passed down through the ages, complete with a pretty nice art shift segment based on a lot of old style paintings. I always like when shows play around with their mediums like this. If there's one thing I like about more modern animated media, it's being more willing to do that. There was a period where art was really stagnant despite animation being able to depict whatever you want, and stuff like Spider-Verse bringing some really engaging, flexible art styles to the big screen was pretty drat groundbreaking! This, obviously, isn't even on the same level, but it's a neat little bit of uniqueness.

Said uniqueness leads right into a cliche the title may've warned you was approaching. Buckle up! We've got a school talent show episode! The stakes are that artifact we just talked about, which accidentally got made into a trophy for the talent show this year.

Oh hey, crazy magic-believing professor recognizes it right away and wants to make a grab for it. I had a feeling this guy'd be popping up in an antagonist role sooner or later.

This episode seems to be about the space case of Jake's friend group trying to win the talent show to make up for his magician grandfather's bad reputation. It'll be interesting seeing one of them actually stepping into the spotlight for a change, because man have they been cardboard cutouts so far. They're the same kind of Savvy Girl and Dorky Guy you've seen little variants of in every show by now.

Now, a water genie. That you don't see in every show like this! Regardless of this show's problems, it's at least 3 for 3 on being pretty creative with the magical world aspects so far.

It's nice that both Jake and the professor are in the loop about this talent show trophy being something suspect. I also like that we're getting a little twist on the usual talent show format. We're slipping into "main character has to win a talent show", but we're adding in the wrinkle of him needing to betray his best friend's earnest motivations and win it out from under his nose. Unfortunately, the cast (especially Jake's friends) can be . . . thin, to say the least, so the kind of intrigue that we could get out of this just isn't there yet.

We're also getting a lot of random-rear end "that happened" humor this episode. Jake awkwardly beatboxing out of a room to hide the fact that he was snooping for the trophy a minute ago. Half a minute of some really strange cowboy yodeling. If last episode was really rushed and discordant, this one is clearly trying to stretch its premise out.

Using his talking animal sidekick to pretend to be a ventriloquist is a pretty creative choice for the talent show, honestly. It's better than us getting Jake rapping.

I do like that the show is doubling down on Jake needing to prioritize his duty over his friends, even when they don't just differ but outright clash. Typically the worst a hero in a show like this has to do is neglect their friends a little, not go out of their way to crush their dreams. It also helps highlight that every lesson Jake's learning now is one his grandfather has to learn the hard way. It's one thing to have some nebulous destiny. It's another to look a friendless old man in the eye and have to accept that his path is one you'll have to walk.

Naturally, the teacher's recruited the jock from last episode, and the two are trying to cheat their way through the competition. Guess I have to redact the whole "he seems chill" thing from last review. But, man. The school parts really are the same cliches we've seen everywhere, aren't they? At least until the part where Jake knocks himself out with a toilet trying to escape the room those cheaters locked him in. The resulting flooding causes the goblet to fill up with water, summoning the water genie that serves as this episode's magic baddie. Sometimes, I don't know how weird the things I'm describing sound until they're already typed up. It's also a little surreal seeing this strangeness interrupt the cliche school stuff on a literal dime. Sure, Jake's grandpa told us exactly how the genie works. But the chain of events that actually lead us to the episode's conclusion came at a seriously breakneck pace, so it feels like it's coming right out of nowhere.

Also coming out of nowhere: the return of gross CGI spinning Jake! I forgot all about this and I hate it.

Justifying the fight happening in front of an audience by having it happen during Jake's friend's magic show is a neat way of letting that setpiece play out. Having the magic words said friend's magician grandpa used being the incantation to spirit the genie away? That's a bit more eyerolling. This show seems to have a problem with snapping its fingers and going "fight's over, sorry," usually by complete at-random coincidence. I get it, this is American Dragon Jake Long, we're not in for a bunch of high-quality fight scenes. But it's weird. If you're going to end on an anticlimax, end on a clever or funny one, you know?

We end the episode with Jake withdrawing from the competition, his friend winning the trophy, and the group reconciling over what happened. In a show with a bit more between-episode characterization, I'm sure this'd change the group dynamic a bit, but it seems we're strapped in for the status quo long haul on this front. All the other loose ends this episode tie up pretty cleanly. Jake's friend gives him the trophy as thanks for withdrawing, so there's no hanging drama over a potential genie re-emergence. Or is there? Neither of them have the chalice, so where could it be?

Wedged in some woman's butt. They lost it in the subway, you see, and she sat on it. Height of comedy here, folks.

I guess my disappointment with the show so far is that it has that promise of being more interesting. You'll notice a lot of times during this episode I found myself saying "in a show with a bit more development," something would happen. Maybe I'm being harsh on it since I'm only a few episodes in. If I went back to Danny Phantom, I'd probably feel similar watching the first three episodes, you know? But I know Danny Phantom fleshes out and develops into a surprisingly compelling show, and I don't have that same knowledge for Jake Long. At the same time, those flashes of potentially being something more always feel walked back before they even get a chance to settle, let alone develop over time. It's also baffling having climactic fight scenes and moments of character growth get clipped to fit in more gross-out humor and strange, awkward attempts at . . . jokes? Are they even attempts at jokes, or just things happening?

I'm starting to realize this endeavor is a lot like watching RAW. Except it's only 30 minutes of my life, not 3 hours, so I'm still coming out on top.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

quote:

How many lbs of blood are you going to be losing in your poo poo the night of May 30th after I turn your rib cage into powder Piss Boy?

What the gently caress does this mean

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it means Cody is a piss boy

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Barry Bluejeans posted:

What the gently caress does this mean

It means what it literally says; Cody will poo poo copious amounts of blood after Ogogo punches his ribs (and thus the organs contained within) into powder. Cody is talking about a weight cut, and Ogogo is going to give him that, hardway

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Also Cody is a huge Piss Boy, like Shawms said

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Not gonna lie, if a guy told me he'd punch me until I peed and pooed blood, I'd be pretty intimidated. Sure, it's gibberish, but it's gibberish I don't want to touch with a ten foot pole.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
I get it, Ogogo is a Scary Foreign Heel but we don't have to pretend what he typed is gibberish or difficult to parse in the least

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Maybe gibberish wasn't the best word choice. But it at least has the same energy as the Doom Guy threatening to rip and tear someone's huge guts.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
thinkin bout Who Will Go In the Jags' Pool:

Almost Certainly Wet
Shawn Spears
Ortiz
Tully

Might Get Wet
MJF
Jericho
FTR

Probably Safe
Hager
Guevara

Dry Boys
Santana
WARDLOW (although imagine the hair flip)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i wonder if Rosa will get her title back from Deeb and suddenly The Doctah sees a timely opportunity to avenge her loss and we get another title for title super fight

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Ogogo right now:

https://youtu.be/tCtYuARcQPg

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

How do you not put Leyla in this unit?

Because Leyla and Ryo are off being best friends.

And by off being best friends I mean killing people in the ring.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Edge & Christian posted:

Rebel and Fuego del Sol are both from Oklahoma, as is Bill Goldberg. Past that there's uh... Brent Albright and Erik Watts? I guess Gerry Brisco is a free agent right now? Open the Forbidden Door and so a gimmick change for the Great O-Klahoman?

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/1396283330916753411
Just a weird legit friend pairing to see.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the rumors have been circulating for months about those two

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
For the people who want to see this IC/Pinnacle thing keep going for months and months, what story beats are you planning on using to fill that time? Cause if all you want to do is Pinnacle/IC multimans for 3 months straight that sounds incredibly boring and would mean that by the time we get to the blow off we'd have stopped caring cause we'd have seen it all way too much already

Like, the only matches here actually worth caring about are FTR/PnP and MJF/Sammy (and WARDLOW/anyone, obviously)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What’s the story with aew this week, dynamite on Friday is it?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What’s the story with aew this week, dynamite on Friday is it?

Yup. Elevation and Dark on their regular nights, then Dynamite at ten on Friday.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

For the people who want to see this IC/Pinnacle thing keep going for months and months, what story beats are you planning on using to fill that time? Cause if all you want to do is Pinnacle/IC multimans for 3 months straight that sounds incredibly boring and would mean that by the time we get to the blow off we'd have stopped caring cause we'd have seen it all way too much already

Like, the only matches here actually worth caring about are FTR/PnP and MJF/Sammy (and WARDLOW/anyone, obviously)

I don't think anyone explicitly said they wanted to see IC vs Pinnacle exclusively for months, I wanted Pinnacle to exist as its own thing and grow into something a bit more organic/interesting rather than just popping out of IC's corpse and cannibalizing it instantly. if Pinnacle is supposed to ONLY just be a setpiece for MJF, I don't think FTR is taking that role, so if they're NOT supposed to exist longer than MJF destroying IC or winning a belt then it doesn't appear that way at all right now (at least to me), if the swerve is that MJF burns it all down to snatch gold soon-like, there's compelling storytelling there to me, but the only OTHER interesting way to do it would be Pinnacle arriving like any other faction and mixing it up with singles wrestlers and other trios/factions and doing some kind of build or re-engagement with IC where the "settle this once and for ALLLLL". the ink hasn't even dried on their t-shirts yet, i dunno, it felt a bit rushed/uneven, too me

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think it’s less “I want to see months and months of pinnacle/IC now” and more the fact they’ve gone in with the kind of matches you’d usually see at the end of a long program near the very start, so it feels way too soon for there to be a decisive outcome because the stables as they exist now have only been feuding for 5 minutes.

It’s not time for IC to break up but it’s also way too soon for pinnacle to be losing, imho.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I think maybe the reason I'm responding more positively than some people are is that I don't view the Pinnacle as an independent longterm faction.

Like, The Inner Circle exist in the context of the Inner Circle. They are the main characters in their story, and whoever they're in a feus with, they will continue to exist at the end of the feud (unless the point of the feud is to break them up). Same with Dark order. Same with Team Taz. Same with the Nightmare Family.

The Pinnacle to me exist not in their own context but in the context of another group. Hence in a sense they only exist as long as this story goes on. My expectation is that the end of the IC / Pinnacle story is the collapse of the Pinnacle, and I think we're already seeing some of the signs of that. This is the same as the Factory, who exist only as the shadow of the Nightmare Family. It doesn't make them a less fun group, but it does mean that I don't expect that by the autumn we'll be a month and a half into a Dark Order / Pinnacle feud, or Best Friends / Factory.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching the twitter kerfluffle because JR said Randy Orton is better than Kenny Omega and thinking about how cool the Belt Collector angle has turned out so far for a lot of reasons (mostly Don Callis and Kenny), but one thing I just remembered was that promo Matt Buck cut on SCU before their match (on BTE); to me i feel like this told a big CHUNK of Kenny's story better than Kenny has told it so far and it was incredibly good timing for the Bucks to throw all that language out there

Kenny has to lean into the "pro Wrestling God" thing until his fall, and using his close friends to shed some light on the aspects of his situation that he can't promo on is very deft storytelling indeed, I wasn't that hot on it when they dropped it, but i'm seeing it in a different light rn, because it alllllll applies to Kenny, but on another order of magnitude more pressure

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
JR also writes blogs about how he watched matches where a guy sat in a chinlock for 45 minutes back in 1967 and the crowd loved it and wrestling should go back to that, of course he thinks Randy Orton is the best wrestler.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Omega is better than Orton because he has cooler moves and does them more often.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think Omega ever poo poo in anyone's bag either.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Someone above mentioned, "if the Pinnacle is only supposed to be a setpiece for MJF..." and that sums it up for me. It feels like this is really just a Jericho/MJF feud with stables as proxy setpieces. FTR should just be going for the tag titles, as should PnP, and Sammy is really over now and should just go on his own. It seems like other than MJF/Jericho, the other members are in a holding pattern and it doesn't make too much sense to have the groups still going. Especially The Pinnacle - they are clearly just a tool for MJF to destroy the IC. FTR is less effective with the group than they were before.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edge & Christian posted:

Rebel and Fuego del Sol are both from Oklahoma, as is Bill Goldberg. Past that there's uh... Brent Albright and Erik Watts? I guess Gerry Brisco is a free agent right now? Open the Forbidden Door and so a gimmick change for the Great O-Klahoman?

JR can manage Hager and Fuego and constantly argue with Fuego about how he's taking too many risks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

The feud gets so violent that gradually members of both teams are taken out by either "injury" or "suspension", until it just boils down to the final two men, either Jericho vs MJF as the leaders remaining, or Sammy vs WARLOW in a David vs Goliath batte.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Yeah, the thing I don't like about IC/Pinnacle is that they can seemingly only have group brawls. Why not have Sammy do some singles matches, or FTR vs PNP on Dynamite sometime? And yet there's no indication that anyone is even considering letting the members of the groups have individual matches.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The feud is about a month and a half old and they started with a build towards a group match, give it some time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah, the thing I don't like about IC/Pinnacle is that they can seemingly only have group brawls. Why not have Sammy do some singles matches, or FTR vs PNP on Dynamite sometime? And yet there's no indication that anyone is even considering letting the members of the groups have individual matches.

They probably will? The first match in the feud was a singles match. They have a big grudge match to build on a PPV where other people need time. This is one of those feuds where I can just wait and see where it goes because the talent is there, the matches and promos have been good so far and AEW has a good track record.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mons Hubris posted:

Because they’ve already established that this rivalry is heated enough that you’re not gonna see lot of singles or tags with clean finishes. AEW booking is smart enough to accept these crews are gonna fight each full force every chance they get

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a Jericho/MJF match would be so good on the next big PPV

cams
Mar 28, 2003

feud sucks

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Mons Hubris posted:

what they should do is both set up individual feuds by maybe having some sort of promo where the two factions stand face to face and individual members cut promos against the people they specifically dislike, and then set up a reason for those matches to happen by having some sort of situation happen involving one of the factions no longer being able to work together

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Feeling like its Friday when its really only Friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MJF gets a bunch of goons to lord over and gives him the last bit he needs to feel like a legit world champ (I'm putting the odds of MJF being the one to unseat Page as 'definitely not 0%)
FTR gets a bunch of goons to interfere in matches for them like the old school heel tag team they are.
Spears gets to be surrounded by more over people and gets another shot to reinvent himself.
Wardlow gets to be a breakout star when he goes Batista on MJF.

I would prefer Sammy/MJF because Sammy needs a big win to begin the trek to finding himself on the same level as MJF and Darby, and MJF has suffered so few setbacks (his only singles loss in over a year and a half is to Moxley) that if he can't eat the L and be fine is he really world champ material? (spoiler; he can and he is). And they just did Jericho/MJF in November. It was decent.

As far as finding yourself on the same level as your peers, Jungle Boy is going to need a major reinvention to get there. He is absolute fire in the ring but is dull as dishwater out of it. He's not a great promo to start but his character being 'dude in a loincloth who hangs out with a dinosaur' gives him a ceiling in terms of being compelling. Hopefully he won't go Scorpio Sky and just not have that in him.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 24, 2021