Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Last I heard the goal for here in Spain is 70% vaccinated by the end of the year. :emo: Feels like I'm never seeing my family again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Last I heard the goal for here in Spain is 70% vaccinated by the end of the year. :emo: Feels like I'm never seeing my family again.

Hm. It's not quite as bad in the Netherlands, they say everyone should have at least one shot by (the end of?) July, which means everyone should be fully vaccinated by the start of autumn.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The official line in Germany has been for a while, and I think still is, "aiming to offer the vaccine to everyone until the end of summer", defined as I think September 31st, which I've always understood to mean if they tell me on September 30th "we have set your vaccination appointment for November 6th 2022" then that's that offer made and deadline kept.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

In case anyone is planning to go to Europe soon - don't.

The vaccination campaigns are only just starting up and in many countries, infection rates have been on the rise again. A bunch of countries are doubling down on their lockdowns again and others just keep their already strict lockdowns in place.

Latest is that we shouldn't even hope for any release until somewhere late May.

The only exception seems to be the UK who somehow got their hands on much more vaccines much earlier than any other country - but they are scared of travelers bringing in new mutations so their borders are locked tight as well.

The UK started stockpiling vaccines last year due to fears that leaving the EU in January would severely restrict access to vaccines manufactured in the rest of Europe. They also waived liability on the pharma companies accepting responsibility for any potential side effects, while in the EU companies are liable.

There's also suggestions that, being a smaller market than the EU, they're paying a lot more for the vaccines and this has bumped them up the list of recipients.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

My Lovely Horse posted:

The official line in Germany has been for a while, and I think still is, "aiming to offer the vaccine to everyone until the end of summer", defined as I think September 31st, which I've always understood to mean if they tell me on September 30th "we have set your vaccination appointment for November 6th 2022" then that's that offer made and deadline kept.

September 31st is a day that never comes. So that seems about right for Germany. Oh and they'll have plenty of paperwork for you to fill out for that, too.

loving horrible management of the whole thing. As stated earlier: don't come here now.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just for the record, here in Italy we're currently at about 10% of people who got the first shot, and 6-7% fully vaccinated.

The Official Vaccination Plan (actual lol) says everyone will get their first shot by the end of June, and will be fully vaccinated by the end of August.

I'm not optimistic.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

September 31st is a day that never comes. So that seems about right for Germany

I got a good lol from that. Not that anywhere else in Europe is doing any better besides the UK and Malta, which is anyway tiny and almost as British as Gibraltar. Even plucky Denmark, which seemed so promising to start, has seen its vaccination campaign collapse in the past few weeks, with only 5% getting a first vaccine within the last month. (The USA got 12% a first vaccine in the last month, and the UK 16%, albeit it doesn't do second vaccinations.)

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

loving horrible management of the whole thing. As stated earlier: don't come here now.

Very few nationalities are easily allowed in anyway, especially in the context of these forums which are predominantly US/Canadian (mostly not allowed in) or Australian/NZ (not allowed out). I wouldn't buy a ticket, but I could see Americans being let in by July, since they'll be almost completely vaccinated by then. It looks like Canada figured out in the last month that vaccines are a thing that exist, so maybe them too by September or so.

But... the travel rules are a confusing pile of garbage with metric tons of loopholes and ways to get in since the Schengen countries do not have uniform entry requirements or quarantine requirements. So for example, Canadians are not allowed to go as France to tourists, but they can go to Switzerland. So a Canadian who really wanted to could just fly to Geneva, rent a car, and then drive to France, without any quarantine or other issue, all they would need is a recent COVID test certificate (which they would anyway have needed for their flight) and one of those declarations of honor.

I doubt many people are doing that for casual tourism, since even though you can get in with a bit of hassle there's not much to do here especially in this season, but it certainly is quite feasible for people who have partners on the other side of the Atlantic but are unmarried and thus don't qualify for "family reunion" as a valid entry reason (depending on the country).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 24, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only exception seems to be the UK who somehow got their hands on much more vaccines much earlier than any other country - but they are scared of travelers bringing in new mutations so their borders are locked tight as well.
Our health minister watched Contagion and realised everyone would try to gently caress everyone else over when it came to vaccine supply, so got in there early with the loving. But our borders are leaky sieves.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Saladman posted:

Canadians are not allowed to go as France to tourists, but they can go to Switzerland. So a Canadian who really wanted to could just fly to Geneva, rent a car, and then drive to France, without any quarantine or other issue

I looked into this a little bit more, now that the USA is off the "risk zone" list for Switzerland as of this morning. It turns out people can't enter any Schengen country as tourists except from a very small list of EU-wide "green zone" countries (New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, ...) that are under the departments of migration. Each country has its own separate list of "green zone" countries which are for under the ministry of health — and these radically vary. So the only time tourists can enter without a quarantine is if the department of migration AND department of health have your country on the green list. Why these two lists aren't even remotely congruent, god only knows.

So a Canadian (or as of today, an American) can fly to Switzerland and then drive over to France, but they would either need EU/Schengen citizenship or residency, be married/partner of the child of a EU/Schengen citizen or resident, enter for a business reason (not sure how well that has to be substantiated), or a handful of other exceptions.

I guess someone who is very determined could easily lie since how are they going to check whether you're in a long term relationship with a Swiss person, but it'd certainly discourage casual travel or couples/family travel.

Kind of funny that it is now easier for Swiss citizens/residents to go between Los Angeles and Zurich than it is to go from Zurich to Amsterdam. I guess now with vacation season among us, there are going to be some pretty striking changes in the Easter destinations for Swiss.

E: The two lists: Department of Migration; https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/sem/aktuell/entry-restrictions-to-third-countries.html
Department of Health: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/hom...ende/liste.html

The Department of Health considers all EU countries as "non high-risk" even places like Czech Republic that are world leaders in COVID. Meanwhile CR is considered high risk by the Department of Health, which bases their quarantine policies on actual COVID numbers compared to Switzerland rather than random geopolitical agreements.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 26, 2021

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Is Albania Europe? Are the trains running? I think I'm going to spend a couple weeks Sarandë once I get my 2nd jab.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Casual Yogurt posted:

Is Albania Europe? Are the trains running? I think I'm going to spend a couple weeks Sarandë once I get my 2nd jab.

Not in COVID times regarding travel. Otherwise, I guess they're as European as Greece.

The US government embassies do a very good job of keeping up-to-date COVID restrictions and rules for every country where they have an embassy, which is the vast majority of countries.

https://al.usembassy.gov/updates_covid19/

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Bought flights to Greece for 2 weeks in October. Now gotta see how the summer pans out, we’re both fully vaxed, but I guess we don’t know what that means as far as tourism.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

Bought flights to Greece for 2 weeks in October. Now gotta see how the summer pans out, we’re both fully vaxed, but I guess we don’t know what that means as far as tourism.

Yeah this is a bit of a gamble right now, vaccine rollout has been disappointingly slow over here: we're only at 10% first shot right now throughout Europe.
Latest news is that the EU aims for mid-july to have sufficient vaccine coverage to open up again, how realistic this is is anyone's guess :v:

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Chikimiki posted:

Yeah this is a bit of a gamble right now, vaccine rollout has been disappointingly slow over here: we're only at 10% first shot right now throughout Europe.
Latest news is that the EU aims for mid-july to have sufficient vaccine coverage to open up again, how realistic this is is anyone's guess :v:

In the UK, we are aiming for summer opening and we’re on almost 50% with first dose, so I find it unlikely Europe will be able to open that soon.

A bunch of European countries seem to be entering a new wave, so I don’t know why anyone would want to visit, even if they themselves are vaccinated.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Worst case I bought regular economy so I can refund the flights and pay for whatever flights I might need later on that year.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

freeasinbeer posted:

Worst case I bought regular economy so I can refund the flights and pay for whatever flights I might need later on that year.

October's probably realistic. Israel is on track to having no COVID and they only have 60% vaccinated, and the USA is stable with only ~30% vaccinated and everyone out partying. At Europe's current rate we'll be at maybe 40-50% vaccinated by September, so I guess that will turn COVID rates to pretty minimal by the time you want to arrive. We'll see.

E: I certainly wouldn't book anything non-refundable though. I guess we'll know in a couple months whether the vaccines by themselves *really* get numbers down (e.g. watching Chile, the UAE, and the US in particular) or whether it went down in Israel and the UK significantly because of lockdown.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 7, 2021

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saladman posted:

whether it went down in [...] the UK significantly because of lockdown.

Don't know exactly what Israel's lockdown looked like before they did a lightning-quick vaccination kick, but I understood that the UK lockdown has been both a lot longer and a lot more strict than most of the rest of Europe. Aren't hairdressers even still closed there, where they've been open (and then partly shut down again) in most of Europe?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Drone posted:

Don't know exactly what Israel's lockdown looked like before they did a lightning-quick vaccination kick, but I understood that the UK lockdown has been both a lot longer and a lot more strict than most of the rest of Europe. Aren't hairdressers even still closed there, where they've been open (and then partly shut down again) in most of Europe?

All that stuff is opening again on Monday I think yeah. The real gently caress up has been how our government has vacillated about keeping lockdown in place and even tried bribing people to go out to eat at one point.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Drone posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant -- that it's difficult to tell based on the UK's data whether the AZ vaccine is especially helpful at reducing COVID cases, or if it's just a "nice to have". I hope that it actually works well, and we can kind of see that it probably does because rates dropped faster in the elderly than in the young. The Pfizer vaccine that Israel was using definitely works, but even that was in significant part due to a stringent lockdown. Chile and the UAE have also similarly high vaccination rates as Israel did 4-6 weeks ago, but their case numbers are still very high.

But who knows. Most of the EU governments have really catastrophically hosed up in every possible way on COVID, and when the dust clears they will have both higher death rates per capita than the USA while simultaneously also having done its best made its population miserable for 18-24 months, so I'm not super optimistic that this is the end of the closure waves.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Saladman posted:

But who knows. Most of the EU governments have really catastrophically hosed up in every possible way on COVID, and when the dust clears they will have both higher death rates per capita than the USA while simultaneously also having done its best made its population miserable for 18-24 months, so I'm not super optimistic that this is the end of the closure waves.

It's definitely not. Germany is soon to move from only regional-level lockdowns to full blown national. It's only getting worse.

The EU sucks at this. You're gambling if you do decide to try to go anywhere in Western Europe before like end of Q3 2021.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
On that note, has anyone in this thread been around a lot of France? Maybe Hookshot?

We're thinking of where to go within a day's drive of Switzerland for a 2-ish week roadtrip this summer during the next brief period of opening between lockdown #3 ending and #4 starting, so probably July. We were thinking about Brittany, but now that I've read into it, I'm not sure whether it really makes more sense to go there than to go to like the Ardeche-Luberon area to enjoy nature and then down to the Mediterranean to enjoy the coast, if what we're looking for is nice and relatively not densely populated outdoors areas, nice little cafes and dining options, and nature. We would not go to France in August.

The coast is lovely, but inland looks kind of dull and every little village I randomly Google Street View in Brittany looks like 1950s-1970s construction and not at all cute... basically all of it looks like https://www.google.com/maps/@48.252...!7i13312!8i6656

Did Brittany also get destroyed in WW2 like Normandy and Pas-de-Calais? There are a handful of towns like Dinan, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

It's definitely not. Germany is soon to move from only regional-level lockdowns to full blown national. It's only getting worse.

The EU sucks at this. You're gambling if you do decide to try to go anywhere in Western Europe before like end of Q3 2021.

I can hardly express how loving insane it is that the UK of all places seems to doing relatively well with vaccinations and actually getting the infection rate down to somewhere where opening back up seems like a reasonable decision

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Julio Cruz posted:

I can hardly express how loving insane it is that the UK of all places seems to doing relatively well with vaccinations and actually getting the infection rate down to somewhere where opening back up seems like a reasonable decision

The UK A). pulled a fast one with the Astra Zeneca shot and so swiped a load of doses that should have gone to the EU and B.) Gambled that having a 12 week gap between doses instead of the tested-for 4 week gap would not cause the vaccine to be much less effective.

They got really, really lucky with B.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 20, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the EU's rates of vaccination are nearly all less than half of the UK's, though, and that's not down to the UK stealing all their vaccines as far as I can tell

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's notable that the vaccination rollout as far as I know has been handled entirely by the NHS. The rest of the shitshow of the last year has been a parade of disgusting corruption.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

The UK government also hedged their bets by ordering basically every in-development vaccine a long time ago. For a population of less than 65 million, we’ve got 400 million doses ordered. Procurement and rollout are basically the only things that have been done right.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Pookah posted:

The UK A). pulled a fast one with the Astra Zeneca shot and so swiped a load of doses that should have gone to the EU and B.) Gambled that having a 12 week gap between doses instead of the tested-for 4 week gap would not cause the vaccine to be much less effective.

They got really, really lucky with B.
Plus we used AZ on old-people downwards, avoiding the worst of the blood clotting problem. The EU managed to do the opposite.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Saladman posted:

On that note, has anyone in this thread been around a lot of France? Maybe Hookshot?

We're thinking of where to go within a day's drive of Switzerland for a 2-ish week roadtrip this summer during the next brief period of opening between lockdown #3 ending and #4 starting, so probably July. We were thinking about Brittany, but now that I've read into it, I'm not sure whether it really makes more sense to go there than to go to like the Ardeche-Luberon area to enjoy nature and then down to the Mediterranean to enjoy the coast, if what we're looking for is nice and relatively not densely populated outdoors areas, nice little cafes and dining options, and nature. We would not go to France in August.

The coast is lovely, but inland looks kind of dull and every little village I randomly Google Street View in Brittany looks like 1950s-1970s construction and not at all cute... basically all of it looks like https://www.google.com/maps/@48.252...!7i13312!8i6656

Did Brittany also get destroyed in WW2 like Normandy and Pas-de-Calais? There are a handful of towns like Dinan, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I've been to most areas of France, aside from the central south (Limousine area), and ironically, Brittany. Technically I've stepped foot in Brittany but haven't gone any further west than Mont Saint-Michel and the nearby town that has amazing oysters. For what it's worth, my favourite areas of France were probably the east (Alsace-Lorraine), the central west (Loire valley sort of region), and the southern coast (Provence and Nice). If you're after quaint medieval towns, Alsace is probably the best bet - check out Colmar, Riquewihr, central Strasbourg, and Provins a little further away.

You may already know this, but be aware that if you're planning a French road trip, the freeways are surprisingly heavily tolled - usually about 1 euro per 10 kilometres, or at least it was when we did our three month trip in 2018.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Also, last time I was in France I had to deal with the environment city regulations.

In a sense it's similar to Germany - several cities have environment regulations and you need a sticker on your car showing its emissions are low enough to be allowed to enter certain cities.

The difference is that where in Germany it's a national system, in France it's local. Every city seems to have its own little system. In some places it's only applicable on certain days. I have no idea if they have a single sticker or multiple types. And the exact rules can only be found somewhere deep in the city's government website or whatever. The only good thing is that it only applies to a handful or large cities, so don't worry about it for small towns.

There are prob tourist organisations that try and keep track of them, but after a city just changed its rules they had no idea either.

If you're planning to go within the limits of any large city in France and bring a car, make sure to investigate those regulations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you're planning to go within the limits of any large city in France and bring a car, make sure to investigate those regulations.

Yeah I just heard about those yesterday when reading – can't remember having that before, or maybe I just ignored it and was never ticketed/noticed. I have an electric, and previously had a hybrid since 2004, so I guess I qualify but I'll have to figure out how it works. Here's a FAQ I found: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

In case anyone else like me wants one, apparently you get them here: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande

I don't remember ever seeing those French-equivalent-of-ZTL signs, but I haven't been to a major French city in ~18 months and haven't driven in a major French city in probably 4 years.

E: Ordered one, like €4.40. Not bad, the equivalent thing in Switzerland will be like €50 if they ever make such a thing. Although now I'll have one more drat sticker on my windscreen, unless maybe I can stick it on the back or somewhere random like the old and no-longer-used Swiss emissions check stickers. EE: Apparently Geneva is already doing it: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-in-europe/switzerlands-stickair-stickers-what-you-need-to-know/ but at least they accept the French stickers.

webmeister posted:

For what it's worth, my favourite areas of France were probably the east (Alsace-Lorraine), the central west (Loire valley sort of region), and the southern coast (Provence and Nice). If you're after quaint medieval towns, Alsace is probably the best bet - check out Colmar, Riquewihr, central Strasbourg, and Provins a little further away.

You may already know this, but be aware that if you're planning a French road trip, the freeways are surprisingly heavily tolled - usually about 1 euro per 10 kilometres, or at least it was when we did our three month trip in 2018.

Thanks, always heard nice things about the Loire area but don't seem to know people who have been there, although since people stopped posting vacation pics to Facebook like 4-5 years ago, it has become harder to know who has been where, and I don't generally remember content from IG stories. I've been through most of the Alsace area, but almost always just incidentally on the way north from Switzerland or south to Switzerland, stopping for a day here or a day there.

The French autoroute system drives me crazy, especially in August when it's slower than using the routes nationales, since there is always a 20 km queue at the péage station when it switches from one network to another if you're going towards the coasts in early August or towards Paris in late August. Also god forbid you miss an exit on the péage, then it's 40 km to the next exit at which point you've lost €4 in tolls, €2 in gas, and 45 minutes in time, eating up the half the time savings of using the autoroute versus the RN in the first place.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 21, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Saladman posted:

Thanks, always heard nice things about the Loire area but don't seem to know people who have been there, although since people stopped posting vacation pics to Facebook like 4-5 years ago, it has become harder to know who has been where, and I don't generally remember content from IG stories. I've been through most of the Alsace area, but almost always just incidentally on the way north from Switzerland or south to Switzerland, stopping for a day here or a day there.

The French autoroute system drives me crazy, especially in August when it's slower than using the routes nationales, since there is always a 20 km queue at the péage station when it switches from one network to another if you're going towards the coasts in early August or towards Paris in late August. Also god forbid you miss an exit on the péage, then it's 40 km to the next exit at which point you've lost €4 in tolls, €2 in gas, and 45 minutes in time, eating up the half the time savings of using the autoroute versus the RN in the first place.

Yeah I figured you'd probably been to Alsace a few times given that you're in Switzerland. But honestly, most areas of France outside the major cities are pretty nice. I can't recall offhand anywhere that was boring/lovely etc, though it probably helps that we were there during late spring when the sun's shining, flowers are blooming and it's not too cold.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Saladman posted:

Bretagne is a loooooooooooong drive from Switzerland, though it technically is doable in a day. My mom's brother used to rent a place in Brittany every year for their family, and a few times we went over with them and so I've spent a lot of time on the beach there. You're right that the inland honestly isn't that nice, and I'd probably pick the Med over Brittany for what you're after. You could also consider the Biarritz to Bordeaux part of the Atlantic coast which would probably be a little bit less busy (I hear the area around the giant sand dune is super nice). On the Mediterranean you could do things like visit the salt flats at Aigue Mortes, things that aren't QUITE as popular as just sitting on the beach with everyone else.

If it were me, I'd do a trip that more or less follows the Pyrenees between the Meditteranean and the Atlantic. Fewer people but still tons of great stuff to see, some of the coolest nature in France, awesome weather, cute villages, and water.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

Ally McBeal Wiki posted:

If you're fully vaccinated, you might have a chance for mid summer, depending on how this plays out:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
COVID is trending down massively in most places now. This summer might actually be good to come if you’re adventurous enough.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Spain reopens to most/all vaccinated tourists on June 7, so at that point I guess that means that, in practice, the Schengen zone will be open to tourism, although you'd have to fly into Spain first.

Iceland opened up a while ago to foreign tourists but did not let them continue to the rest of the Schengen zone, and I believe Greece is also the same – but both of those countries are islands in terms of immigration. We'll see how it works in practice on June 8th but I don't really see any other way that could go, as it has already been the case for the last year that if you were able to get into any country in the contiguous Schengen zone, you were good to go for the rest.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What is happening is that Europe is working on a "vaccination passport". This will be a paper or digital thing containing a QR code that says you're vaccinated, recently recovered from an infection, or have a recent negative test.

Every country can decide for itself how exactly it will handle vaccination passport holders, and also how it will handle non-passport holders.

You can expect that if you have a vaccination passport, travel to many places will be relatively easy, unless a place gets a new spike in infections in which case they might lock it down again.
Without a passport, even travelling between Schengen countries will continue to be severely restricted, having things like mandatory quarantines every time you cross a border and such.

There will be most likely spot checks so even if you do get through you might've just done an illegal act and you might get into trouble for it later.

If you want to travel to Europe in this year, please figure out how, as a non-European, you can get your hands on an EU vaccination passport, and check out the local rules of every country you're planning on visiting.

Edit: Also, realize the risk you're taking is on you. It's unlikely, but IF a country suddenly goes back into lockdown and you can't get to your hotel or anything, nobody is gonna help you with that.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 24, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a co-worker that lives just outside of Bologna and he said he was so confined to his area he couldn't even go downtown to the city he lives in. How common is this? It seems wild to me as an American full of dumbass freedom people

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

kiimo posted:

I have a co-worker that lives just outside of Bologna and he said he was so confined to his area he couldn't even go downtown to the city he lives in. How common is this? It seems wild to me as an American full of dumbass freedom people

Italy has a tier system for regions, depending on how well (or bad) things are going re: the plague, based on Rt (transmissibility index) and number of new infections per 100 thousand people over the previous week. It's basically as follows:

White area: Rt less than 1, AND less than 50 infections per 100 thousand people.

- Masks and social distancing.

Yellow area: Rt less than 1, and between 50 and 100 infections per 100 thousand people.

- Masks and social distancing;
- Curfew from 10 PM to 5 AM (except for emergencies);
- You can move within the region, and beyond if the destination is also yellow area, for work and essential business (e.g. grocery shopping);
- Once per day, you can visit someone;
- All shops are open;
- Restaurants and cafès and bars are closed from 6 PM for on-site eating, from 10 PM for take-away, no restriction for delivery;
- No indoor eating and drinking in restaurants and cafès and bars (outdoor is allowed);
- Open-air swimming pools and gyms are open.

Orange area: Rt less than one, more than 100 infections per 100 thousand people.

As in yellow area, plus:

- No traveling outside city limits except for work or essential business;
- Restaurants and cafès and bars are closed, except for take-away (until 10 PM) or delivery;
- Malls are closed on weekends (except for essential business inside malls);
- Swimming pools and gyms are open.
- One-person outdoor sports (running, biking) are allowed with social distancing and masks whenever you cannot keep distance;

Red area: Rt more than one.

As in orange area, plus:

- No leaving your house except for work or essential business;
- Non-essential stores are closed.

As of right now, all of Italy is in yellow area. We'll see how it goes from here on.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kiimo posted:

Ireland has fairly recently come out of the heaviest restrictions - only allowed travel 5km from your home (unless required by work), work from home wherever possible, all non-essential retail closed, all pubs and bars closed, no indoor dining, no gyms, cinemas etc.
Things are slowly opening back up, but cautiously since our healthcare system is a bit shite and could easily become overwhelmed like it did just after Christmas when our case numbers absolutely exploded. Vaccination roll-out is trundling along; we're probably going to start on otherwise healthy 40-45 year olds this week.
People are bored and tired of it, but the majority are still willing to stick to the guidelines since it looks like there really might be light at the end of the tunnel. Something like 80% of the population intend to get vaccinated :unsmith:

I think it helps that most people here do trust that the government/health authorities are not actively trying to do harm. Yeah they bungle stuff and yeah there's the usual shady cronyism you see in most governments, but there's very little support for anti-lockdown/5G/Big Pharma & Bill Gates are installing microchips conspiracy stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I can't imagine booking a trip right now. Too much uncertainty. You're not going to get a refund on anything if your plans get screwed up. Things might be closed. The locals might be pissed that you're there (more than normal).

Air Canada got a government bailout recently and is apparently going to refund me for my flight that got cancelled last May. So that's nice.