Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nullEntityRNG posted:

Is it typical that a group working together hoard bugs they find? I figure the object was to collectively work together and verify with each other the total amount of bugs, and wouldn't have differing amounts.

It varies depending on the people testing. A general rule of thumb in my experience (at least here in the states) is that whoever first finds / notices a bug is the person who writes it up. Occasionally though they may pass a bug off to someone else if they're actively testing / verifying something else. It's a bad habit to "sit" on bugs without writing them up (as you can forget to write them / forget important details), so often if a tester is investigating something they may "give" the bug to someone else who isn't.

In situations where everyone obviously sees the bug at the same time (such as if it crashes or something), then it depends on the group testing and the company's culture. If it's a company that doesn't care about bug numbers, then usually the most responsible tester will offer to write the bug. Otherwise, they'll be divvied up evenly so everyone does roughly the same work. This isn't a hardcore system, it's usually just like "hey, NEET you haven't written a bug up yet have you? Go ahead and grab this one." If a lead is helping with the testing, then they'll usually be the ones divvying up bugs. Roughly evenly, but also if the lead doesn't trust some testers to write good bugs then they'll give them fewer bugs, or "easier" bugs that require less research. If the company DOES care about bug numbers, then usually they'll still be divvied up evenly, but sometimes you get jerks who jump to call dibbs on the bug. If the rest of the group is fairly timid then one person can wind up claiming most, if not all, of the bugs.

It's unclear how NEET's company handles things. They have a leader board for bug counts, but that could just be for fun rather than being a quota that determines pay / bonuses / continued employment. Surprisingly, the number of bugs a person finds is NOT a good qualifier for how valuable they are as a tester. Different testers can specialize in different areas, and a good test team has a wide variety of skill sets among their testers. One tester may find fucktons of bugs, while another may find a few but they wind up being very valuable (crashes, soft locks, etc). A third tester may not be great at finding bugs, but is very good at completing test cases. A fourth may be very good at verifying fixes, etc. Very big AAA companies often tend to focus purely on bug counts because it's an easy quantitative number to point to, but it's very rarely a signifier of the actual value of the testers themselves.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

nullEntityRNG posted:

Crognor found only one bug. Smash bug with club. No good meat, Crognor starve.

Is it typical that a group working together hoard bugs they find? I figure the object was to collectively work together and verify with each other the total amount of bugs, and wouldn't have differing amounts.

A friend of mine is very, very good at finding bugs no one else notices even when we're all playing together, especially while playing Smash. Most of the bugs are in the form of "my character isn't doing what I told them to do" or "that's not what I pressed" or "my controller is broken." Sometimes they even notice the computer cheating! I think they should be a QAer!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I hope tohru isn’t run over because the red light is in black and white!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, this takes place during a time when arcades in Japan were starting to go out of fashion due to online games exploding.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Nii-kun, have you ever heard of a thing called Ice-9?

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Shotgunning is a quick and easy way to make spirits.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shotgunning is also a quick and easy way to ingest spirits.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

McGavin posted:

Shotgunning is also a quick and easy way to ingest spirits.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

McGavin posted:

Shotgunning is also a quick and easy way to see spirits.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
see spirits
ingest spirits
see more spirits
see spirits return

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nii-kun, let me tell you about butt-chugging

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
She obviously means when you have to use a shotgun filled with blessed rocksalt on Petwo lwa since she's been eating all your crops again.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Shotgunning is a cold reading technique involving firing off general statements, e.g. ""I see a woman with blackness in the chest, lung cancer, heart disease, breast cancer..."

The 'psychic' watches the subject's body language for any emotional reaction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading#Shotgunning

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

BigBadSteve posted:

Shotgunning is a cold reading technique involving firing off general statements, e.g. ""I see a woman with blackness in the chest, lung cancer, heart disease, breast cancer..."

SPOILERS

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gripping.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
An entire building sprung up overnight, how is that not intense action?!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

BigBadSteve posted:

I like your moxie, but please let Lady Yoriko be our guide to the wonderful world of psychic charlatanism. There is MUCH, MUCH pedantic discussion ahead of us.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

I like your moxie, but please let Lady Yoriko be our guide to the wonderful world of psychic charlatanism. There is MUCH, MUCH pedantic discussion ahead of us.

:psyduck:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

OK, sorry for spoiler.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

BigBadSteve posted:

OK, sorry for spoiler.

It's fine. I don't mean to be a dictator about it. Just believe me, we will all walk away with a general understanding of this stuff before too long lol. (and your input will be appreciated.)

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Translator's Notes:

What she's saying here almost doesn't translate. In Japanese "shotgun" is ショットガン and "shotgunning" is ショット・ガンニング. That little dot in the middle is called an interpunct and one of its uses is to separate foreign words and names so the breaks between words is clear (Japanese text doesn't really use spacing).

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Casually picking your nose in front of your girlfriend. That's true love.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
She is being so unbelievably pedantic about this while also refusing to even answer the question. I think this panel alone explains why we're seeing this flashback.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
sleep, op

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Were back to the central theme lads... the reason we are all here. What will nii do between these tough choices

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Is this a timeline splitting decision that we can vote on? I'd say sleep.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It is now.

Definitely sleep. You can eat anytime.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I say food, for us readers' sake.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

He overanalyzes things before he goes to sleep though

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Quickly gobble a snack, then sleep some more. But this would not provide enough inner turmoil for Tohru.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Hot Stunt posted:

Is this a timeline splitting decision that we can vote on?

I've tallied all the votes, and:

End of Page 40

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Brother Make posted:

I've tallied all the votes, and:

End of Page 40

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009