Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

zoux posted:

They think the gore is gratuitous and that it makes comic books look childish. That's my recollection anyway, I stopped posting there a long time ago.

The gore is the point though, it's supposed to make you feel bad. If anything I think it should be more but people talking here so much about the horror of the train scene, maybe I'm an outlier.

I dunno, should I feel bad for getting a kick out of Batman and friends going splat? God I'm desensitised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheBlackVegetable posted:

The gore is the point though, it's supposed to make you feel bad. If anything I think it should be more but people talking here so much about the horror of the train scene, maybe I'm an outlier.

I dunno, should I feel bad for getting a kick out of Batman and friends going splat? God I'm desensitised.

OK Garou.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

a Loving Dog posted:

Comic books are childish anyway. Who cares, why not embrace it

But they'll make fun of me, the jocks that live in my head

One example of a book that uses violence to do some really cool poo poo with art is Luther Strode. I cannot overstate how poorly written the story and embarassing the dialog is, but Trad Moore does some insanely cool stuff with layouts and it's some of the most dynamic action art I've seen and it is just dripping with gore

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 21, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ungulateman posted:

having god shove you face-first into a train full of civilians is sanitized of emotional weight or intellectual honesty. it's the trolley problem but there's a solution and it's "god wants you to kill them all and you have no choice"

Which is why him making the choice not too is so impactful

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

To some extent, it felt like (sorta comic books spoiler) some bottled up rage over the fact that pretty much everyone he has known or will know dies before him, so he's literally rubbing Mark's face in the reality he has spent his whole life with.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bust Rodd posted:

Which is why him making the choice not too is so impactful

he doesn't make the choice not to kill everyone - that implies that he has any agency in making that decision, when he's literally being used as a weapon by god. he just cries and bleeds until god gives up.

it's an extended abdication of responsibility onto an all-powerful figure that makes all your decisions for you. no wonder jeff bezos funded it (this part is a joke)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

what

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This comic book takes the violence too seriously, which is bad. It should be more like Mortal Kombat and have people taking selfies with the chunks of former civilians and making heart-shaped holes in people's torsos. That's that good poo poo. Proper gore makes you laugh.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the train scene doesn't take the violence seriously though. mark goes through a lot of effort to save one pilot's life and his dad (aka god) flies down and says 'gently caress you' and kills him to prove a point. it's a good scene! remember my earlier point about how this film feels like it's responding to man of steel? this scene is why superman isn't running around saving civilians, because zod would just do that. that's a scene that takes the violent murder of a person, and the consequences of the characters' actions, seriously.

the train scene is the exact same sequence, but this time god (aka his dad) kills a WHOLE BUNCH of people, because it hasn't already been established that that's what he's going to do and is doing already - no, wait, it has, in literally the scene before that. we already know a bunch of civilians are going to die because mark can't do anything to stop his dad (aka god), and the building collapse with its single (visible) horrible death communicates that really well. having god (aka his dad) shove mark's face into a train full of people is just a bunch of extra-violent death for its own sake.

it works better on a meta-level, where the show is literally shoving your face into the pointlessly over-the-top gore and asking "can you deal with this? is this what you wanted? this is what you're getting", but the scene should function on its own terms first.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ungulateman posted:

he doesn't make the choice not to kill everyone - that implies that he has any agency in making that decision, when he's literally being used as a weapon by god. he just cries and bleeds until god gives up.

it's an extended abdication of responsibility onto an all-powerful figure that makes all your decisions for you. no wonder jeff bezos funded it (this part is a joke)

yes he explicitly makes the choice not to join his father, thats the choice Im discussing, that's the impact of the train sequence and everything else. God is literally removing your teeth with his hands, he is causing heaven and Earth to crumble and burn, there is literally nothing you can do BUT join him because the alternative is certain death for you and everyone you love... and still he makes the choice not to join him.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Honestly I don't get the idea that everything must be goofy and zany and any attempt to take things more seriously makes it Bad. MCU has poisoned this kind of story I think.

And yeah, there's definitely a lot of gallows humour in that whole episode.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The gore issue is not the main reason Invincible as a comic sucks poo poo.

It’s the enthusiastic authoritarianism.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's nice to see you've found a new reason to hate the comic after having been comprehensively dunked on over how stupid the last one was. This time you've picked an argument that can be levelled at almost any superhero comic book except Invincible, though.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I like the complaining about gore and whatnot when the true horror of a man beating his son to a pulp 'for his own good' is just sort of glossed right over. The gore is there to distract you, and it's working, hahaha. That poo poo's horrifying.

As a separate thought... Mark earns his name in that final moment, not because he took it or because he managed to do flashy hero stuff, but because no matter what he kept his ideals and made his own decisions: exercising your agency in the face of the overwhelming is the only real choice anyone gets. Whatever happens, happens, but nobody controls what you think.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jedit posted:

It's nice to see you've found a new reason to hate the comic after having been comprehensively dunked on over how stupid the last one was. This time you've picked an argument that can be levelled at almost any superhero comic book except Invincible, though.

Keep your narratives straight when attaching your identity to the media you consume. The argument you were offended at last time was praising the comics over the show, for the arc that the show has covered.

Tell me more about how replacing bad dictatorships with good ones is a completely normal level of autocracy loving tho.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You're doing a good job keeping people engaged, so I'm proud of you for playing this bit so well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

If we're gonna talk about the comics do it in another thread.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Superheroes are almost by definition Authoritarian, they are literally Ur-People who deign to shape the fates of hundreds/thousands/potentially millions through the sheer unstoppable expression of their will.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
For whoever needs to hear it: it's okay to enjoy problematic media. it doesn't make you a bad person.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

a Loving Dog posted:

For whoever needs to hear it: it's okay to enjoy problematic media. it doesn't make you a bad person.

it's telling people they're too dumb to see the problematic aspects of it that makes you a bad person

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ALLOW ME TO CAST THIS HEAVEN SENT KNOWLEDGE DOWN FROM THE MOUNTAINTOPS THAT I MIGHT ENLIGHTEN YOU POOR UNWASHED PLEBES

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

EVERYTHING YOU LIKE IS BAD

AND WRONG

BADWRONG

BADONG

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

a Loving Dog posted:

Here’s another one: someone calling something “problematic” online doesn’t mean they are correct, or even have any idea what the gently caress they are talking about!!

There is no such thing as media with perfect politics, every story has an internal bias and agenda, that’s why it’s called “telling a story” and not “reporting”

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

reporting also has these problems but critical analysis of media is harrrrrrrrrdddddddddddd

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

https://imgur.com/a/msISXaJ

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Bust Rodd posted:

Here’s another one: someone calling something “problematic” online doesn’t mean they are correct, or even have any idea what the gently caress they are talking about!!

There is no such thing as media with perfect politics, every story has an internal bias and agenda, that’s why it’s called “telling a story” and not “reporting”

drat right bust rodd

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Casnorf posted:

I like the complaining about gore and whatnot when the true horror of a man beating his son to a pulp 'for his own good' is just sort of glossed right over. The gore is there to distract you, and it's working, hahaha. That poo poo's horrifying.

Yeah, the entirety of Episode 8 is some really exceptional parenting from Nolan. The back to back combination of using his son to Man of Steel an entire city, followed by "Your mother's life is pointless", followed by the comment that he's been lying to Mark his whole life. And it just gets worse from there!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

It would be nice if there was a spoiler thread to talk about potential plot ramifications going forward seeing as the order of events (and some characters) have been rewritten

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I like that Mark succeeded in episode 1 against the bully by letting him beat on him until the bully left, and then succeeded in episode 8 against his dad because his dad left after beating on him until "giving up."

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, the entirety of Episode 8 is some really exceptional parenting from Nolan. The back to back combination of using his son to Man of Steel an entire city, followed by "Your mother's life is pointless", followed by the comment that he's been lying to Mark his whole life. And it just gets worse from there!

This is one reason I'm so impressed by Mark's refusal to give in. He knows exactly what that means, and Nolan's reaction isn't the one he expected at all. It's not about a noble death (which is a lovely way to approach things) and not about sacrifice (because that's just as bad). It's about looking a tyrant in the eye and telling him he's wrong, and drat the torpedoes. Nothing more and nothing less. A tyrant, a bully, an abusive father? When you decide they are wrong, and never, ever give in...that's strength. It's rarely so cut-and-dried, and even here Mark loves his father, idolizes the man. But Nolan and his attitude are wrong, and Mark stands up to him. This is worthy and I will sing its praises, whether it's in a silly gory cartoon for manchildren or in real life.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aces High posted:

It would be nice if there was a spoiler thread to talk about potential plot ramifications going forward seeing as the order of events (and some characters) have been rewritten

Maybe if everyone would just read the drat comic ALREADY

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

Honestly I don't get the idea that everything must be goofy and zany and any attempt to take things more seriously makes it Bad. MCU has poisoned this kind of story I think.

And yeah, there's definitely a lot of gallows humour in that whole episode.

It doesn't have to be bad, but being super serious while also having bad writing kinda sucks. At least Marvel knows it's just schlock but tries to have fun with it.

That said, I don't think Invincible s1 has that problem. I sure felt that way about The Boys though. And for that matter, I think the comic Irredeemable is a much better take on the "evil Superman" concept and I'd like to see an adaptation of it.

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 22, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Personally, I'd like to see the subversive take of "Superman is a good guy and fights for world peace". :v:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Personally, I'd like to see the subversive take of "Superman is a good guy and fights for world peace". :v:

Sounds like you want to watch Jupiter's Legacy.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Red Son, where Superman fights for the real key to world peace, global communism

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Elman posted:

It doesn't have to be bad, but being super serious while also having bad writing kinda sucks. At least Marvel knows it's just schlock but tries to have fun with it.

That said, I don't think Invincible s1 has that problem. I sure felt that way about The Boys though. And for that matter, I think the comic Irredeemable is a much better take on the "evil Superman" concept and I'd like to see an adaptation of it.

I read irredeemable recently because I saw it on comixology unlimited and found it to be a total slog. It started off good and had a few good turns but the characters were just dull to me. Besides maybe the supervillain (mobius?) that eventually figured out he was actually just horny for evil Superman which was a kind of interesting arc.

The boys also bored me. The comic was short enough that I got through it and was like ‘ok, sure, that was fine’. But the shows pacing made me give up after the first season

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 22, 2021

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pik_d posted:

Sounds like you want to watch Jupiter's Legacy.

just saw the first episode. man, that show has some BAD special effects

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

just saw the first episode. man, that show has some BAD special effects

It's remarkable, they don't look low budget either, just bad. Show gets better once the back story plot kicks in, so worth sticking with it imo.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not watching S2 of The Boyz because S1 was “too slow” seems, uh, totally nuts to me, but then again you’re literally the first goon on this entire website to say something nice about the comics but to not like the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/samsykesswears/status/1396495574321360898?s=21