Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I bought a 'blemished' vibrating multi-tool from them and I can't tell it was anything other than brand spanking new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looks like Lowes is finally dropping Portal Cable, all the local stores in my area have clearanced out all their power tools. If you have stock in your area and want to check they seem to be going for about 50% off right now.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Oh no I'm still talking about forsner bits.

Steakandchips posted:

Forstner drill bits are for good quality holes, and it’s good to buy quality forstner drill bits.

Spade bits are for quick and dirty holes. Buy cheap ones.

Thank you for clearning this up. What kind of forsner bit is better? Straight ones: https://www.amazon.ca/Yonico-43028C-Diameter-Carbide-Forstner/dp/B07CZ3CCYG sawtooth ones https://www.amazon.ca/Yonico-43021S-8-Inch-Diameter-Forstner/dp/B07CZ38QG4 or other?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I seem to remember reading that sawtoothed is better, but I can't remember why :shrug:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All of mine are sawtooth and they're great-- though I bought some (admittedly cheap and lovely) flat metric ones that were miserable so I think I'm team sawtooth?

But it's not like I'll need to buy another set of forstner bits any time soon. Especially not the massive 1.5"-3" bastards I have

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thank you for the information. I will join you on team sawtooth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

DreadLlama posted:

Oh no I'm still talking about forsner bits.

Thank you for clearning this up. What kind of forsner bit is better? Straight ones: https://www.amazon.ca/Yonico-43028C-Diameter-Carbide-Forstner/dp/B07CZ3CCYG sawtooth ones https://www.amazon.ca/Yonico-43021S-8-Inch-Diameter-Forstner/dp/B07CZ38QG4 or other?

I have never seen forstner bit like that first one with the carbide.

CMT makes pretty decent ones at a reasonable price. https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=cmt+forstner+bits&crid=1GYJII2RKRMM6&sprefix=CMT+for%2Ctools%2C169&ref=nb_sb_ss_fb_1_7_ts-doa-p

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

FCKGW posted:

Looks like Lowes is finally dropping Portal Cable, all the local stores in my area have clearanced out all their power tools. If you have stock in your area and want to check they seem to be going for about 50% off right now.

Anyone have a review on their compressors and/or brad nailers?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Anyone have a review on their compressors and/or brad nailers?

Nothing recent, but my dad been using his Porter Cable tank and nailer for years. It’s really never disappointed, and has hung up plenty of trim.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Nothing recent, but my dad been using his Porter Cable tank and nailer for years. It’s really never disappointed, and has hung up plenty of trim.

Yup I've got one and it's done lots of trim

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Couldn’t find anything under that label today. Cleared out already, maybe?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Porter Cable is yet another brand that used to be pretty danged good (esp. their routers) that’s been run into the ground and bears no resemblance to its former self. It’s owned by Stanley/Black & Decker which also owns the Craftsman brand now and I imagine they don’t feel like competing against themselves for shelf space at Lowe’s so they’ve pulled the PC line. If you can get stuff on clearance it’s probably basically fine for made in China or Mexico and comparable with lower tier stuff like Kobalt or Craftsman, but tbh I wouldn’t count on the brand existing in 5 more years. I don’t know if they still make any battery stuff, but I wouldn’t buy it if they do.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Yup I've got one and it's done lots of trim

Same for me. Tank, two nailers, and a stapler for $200 bucks several years ago and not a single issue.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Did a bunch of stuff with my Ryobi kit this weekend, and honestly I'm mad at how useful that stupid flashlight is.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rexxed posted:

The Ryobi hot glue gun is 18V so that may be the issue. I've found that's it's not too power hungry so I can use the awful 1.2Ah batteries that came with the 7 tool kit in the glue gun. I got a couple of 5Ah from direct tools factory outlet for the ones that actually use a lot of power. It's a shame the new multi tool kits don't include the hot glue gun, it's probably the most used tool I have from that kit (with the second being the vacuum, I'm never buying a dust buster vacuum that can't take replaceable batteries again).

Huh, I just assumed it was 12v and didn't look closely. I'm into Milwaukee 12v and Makita 18v. And AliExpress does sell 18v Makita battery -> Ryobi tool adapters.

This might end badly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ryobi days are on!!! And it's pretty much meh. Good if you need to add to your collection not great if you're looking for a bit of a deal.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'm normally a Red toy boy, but I pulled the trigger for Ryobi days on the 8in pruning chainsaw.

My battery set doesn't come in for a couple days so I'll finally get to test my 18v Milwaukee->Ryobi battery adapter on something other than my Surebonder glue gun.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Curious about the efficacy of a pruning chainsaw vs the big pruning sawzall blade. The latter is kinda meh, so I assume a chainsaw is much better at this but would love some trip reports!

I'm kinda tempted to get one of the electric chainsaws because there's a lot of stuff that doesn't need me to break out the 18 inch gas saw.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It’ll be faster than a sawzall but it’s a pretty bad design from what I’ve seen. It doesn’t even have an oiler for the chain. The Milwaukee 12volt one is lightyears ahead of it for a small pruning chainsaw.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Since my last posts, I had been waffling on the leaf blower/mulchers. I was trying to decide between the Worx WG509 and the WG512 last night and got a CCC alert for the 509. It dropped from $180 to $99, hell yeah. This thing is gonna make fall so much easier with my 45-foot backyard oak.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Since my last posts, I had been waffling on the leaf blower/mulchers. I was trying to decide between the Worx WG509 and the WG512 last night and got a CCC alert for the 509. It dropped from $180 to $99, hell yeah. This thing is gonna make fall so much easier with my 45-foot backyard oak.

That's a great deal! I think you'll be surprised how well it works.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I've gotta admit that I don't really get the point of a pruning chainsaw vs. a pole saw. I have the M12 pruning saw that I got as a gift and the M18 pole saw, and I literally never use the pruning saw. It's a little inconvenient for low branches, but less inconvenient than switching tools anytime I need to get something higher. And I usually find that a hedge trimmer is the better tool any time the pole saw is really unsuitable.

Maybe I just don't understand the use cases, though.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I'll let y'all know how well it works. I wanted a one handed pruner to trim some branches from a neighbors tree that hang over my fence. It's kind of awkward for a pole saw and I felt this would be a step up from the sawzall.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Corded angle grinders between 6 and 7.5 amps. Bosch or DeWalt? Ones I'm looking at are within $5 of each other in price.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Literally A Person posted:

Corded angle grinders between 6 and 7.5 amps. Bosch or DeWalt? Ones I'm looking at are within $5 of each other in price.
I’d go with the dewalt because they are reliable and ubiquitous and I’m sure the Bosch has some overengineered whirlygig to change disks, where the deWalt one is easy and simple.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

I've gotta admit that I don't really get the point of a pruning chainsaw vs. a pole saw. I have the M12 pruning saw that I got as a gift and the M18 pole saw, and I literally never use the pruning saw. It's a little inconvenient for low branches, but less inconvenient than switching tools anytime I need to get something higher. And I usually find that a hedge trimmer is the better tool any time the pole saw is really unsuitable.

Maybe I just don't understand the use cases, though.

I think you understand the use cases just fine. The only thing a pruning saw excels at is being able to throw it in your car easily. The only thing I'd want in that size would be a climbing saw and for most people they don't do that so no real point.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’d go with the dewalt because they are reliable and ubiquitous and I’m sure the Bosch has some overengineered whirlygig to change disks, where the deWalt one is easy and simple.

This is in line with what I was thinking too. Also, the DeWalt is the one that's $5 cheaper so....

Pulling the trigger.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is the "Ryobi Days" battery+tool deal available in stores, or is it online only? I checked out my local store and they didn't have anything, but looking online they don't have any batteries in stock. But it's a slightly smaller store, and looking online other stores in my metro area have hundreds in stock. I want to get the multi-tool, but the multi-tool is unavailable online. I can get the battery and tool in my online cart for $99, but I can't select the battery for pickup anywhere, and I have to pickup the multi-tool from a store, can't ship.

If it's in stores I can just drive to a store that has them both in stock and pick them up, but if it's online-only I'll do the weird online jujitsu, ordering batteries to be shipped and multi-tool for pickup.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Home Depot has a free tool with purchase of a Milwaukee battery starter kit promo right now

These deals are "hackable" meaning if you set the battery to store pickup and the tool to ship, you can cancel the battery and get the bare tool at a discount. Up to you if the hassle is worth it or not.

M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Starter Kit with One 5.0 Ah and One 2.0 Ah Battery and Charger + Free Tool - $199
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-1852/315426067
Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless 5" Random Orbit Sander (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tool (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless 1/2" Hammer Drill/Driver (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 Fuel Surge 18V Cordless 1/4" Hex Impact Driver (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 Gen 2 18V Cordless 4000 Lumens Rover LED AC/DC Flood Light (Tool Only)

M18 18-Volt Lithium-Ion High Output Starter Kit with Two 6.0 Ah Battery and Charger + Free Tool - $299
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...1862S/315426486
Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless 7-1/4" Circular Saw (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless Rocket Dual Power Tower Light (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 18V High Output XC 8.0 Ah Battery
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 18V Cordless 4-1/2" Grinder w/ Paddle Switch (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 18V Cordless Hackzall Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 Fuel Gen 3 18V Cordless 3/8" Compact Impact Wrench w/ Friction Ring (Tool Only)
Milwaukee M18 Fuel 18V Cordless 2.5-Gallon Wet/Dry Vacuum (Tool Only

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rufio posted:

I'm normally a Red toy boy, but I pulled the trigger for Ryobi days on the 8in pruning chainsaw.

My battery set doesn't come in for a couple days so I'll finally get to test my 18v Milwaukee->Ryobi battery adapter on something other than my Surebonder glue gun.

You're talking about their pole saw? I got one a few years ago after giving my buddy my electric as payment for helping me down a massive bradford fuckpear.

They're kinda underpowered, imo. Kinda interesting the way the pole links 2 cables together to power the chain. It is a full 8' though, if that's consolation (it is for me) and I've cut some fat branches with it....just need to be patient. Also a lovely little wrench for tightening the chain and no slot or anything to put it. Strap is useless too. And it does have a bar oiler, so.....

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

You're talking about their pole saw? I got one a few years ago after giving my buddy my electric as payment for helping me down a massive bradford fuckpear.

They're kinda underpowered, imo. Kinda interesting the way the pole links 2 cables together to power the chain. It is a full 8' though, if that's consolation (it is for me) and I've cut some fat branches with it....just need to be patient. Also a lovely little wrench for tightening the chain and no slot or anything to put it. Strap is useless too. And it does have a bar oiler, so.....

Nope the little 8in mini chainsaw looking pruner. https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-One-8-in-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pruning-Chainsaw-Tool-Only-P5452BTL/314799961

It looks like it'll do alright for what I was intending, standing on a ladder and trimming some branches intruding on my fence. I'll find out tomorrow. Looks like it might be useful to throw in the truck for drive up camping too.

Rufio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 24, 2021

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Rufio posted:

Nope the little 8in mini chainsaw looking pruner. It looks like it'll do alright for what I was intending, standing on a ladder and trimming some branches intruding on my fence. I'll find out tomorrow. Looks like it might be useful to throw in the truck for drive up camping too.

The guys who chipped up a ton of branches in my yard this spring said those little pruner saws are really handy. So I guess trust the experts? :p

The 8" ryobi one seems a little big though, it seems like it's built to be used with 2 hands instead of the smaller 6" Milwaukee that looks like it's a more convenient shape for holding stuff in one hand and slicing it up with the other

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is the "Ryobi Days" battery+tool deal available in stores, or is it online only? I checked out my local store and they didn't have anything, but looking online they don't have any batteries in stock. But it's a slightly smaller store, and looking online other stores in my metro area have hundreds in stock. I want to get the multi-tool, but the multi-tool is unavailable online. I can get the battery and tool in my online cart for $99, but I can't select the battery for pickup anywhere, and I have to pickup the multi-tool from a store, can't ship.

If it's in stores I can just drive to a store that has them both in stock and pick them up, but if it's online-only I'll do the weird online jujitsu, ordering batteries to be shipped and multi-tool for pickup.

It's available in stores, my local one was only setting up the Ryobi Days display this afternoon.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah it seems like HD is slow to put poo poo out. It took them a day to get the impact wrench that was released in feb down for me kuz it was still up on the pallet.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Can I just add another muffler to my lawn mower? It's a wide deck self propelled with an 8hp Briggs. I'd love it to be quieter.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wrar posted:

Can I just add another muffler to my lawn mower? It's a wide deck self propelled with an 8hp Briggs. I'd love it to be quieter.

you can, I'd start with replacing the muffler (your muffler might be borked). While at it Look for a quieter muffler possibly as well ( talk to some small engine shop / repair guys) you can't usually just bolt a muffler to a muffler. Another option would be to find a beefier muffler and weld up some piping to adapt to it. You can also look at adding some dynamat to your deck / area where the muffler blows out air to try and dampen the sound reflecting off the deck / mower.

edit: look up your engine model number Apparently B&S has multiple muffler options available for their engines, so take a look.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 26, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't remember if this has been discussed recently...

Any battery-powered mower recommendations for a 1600 sq ft lawn?

I'm team yellow, but don't really mind buying a different brand. Greenworks and Home Depot both have this for $400 (15% off). I don't really ever use the self-propel feature on my gas-powered Husqvarna, but when I make my kids mow the lawn, they typically do. So I guess it's a nice to have, but definitely not a hard requirement.

Looks like most of the Greenworks can only go as high as 3.75". Being in Northern CA, I like to bring my lawn up to 4" during the summer, so only being able to go up to 3.75" isn't optimal. I see the DeWalt only goes up to 3.75 as well.

20-21" width would be preferable.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ego has mowers that'll go up to 4" https://www.acehardware.com/departm...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds and the newer/pricy: https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tool...edium=affiliate

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I can't remember if this has been discussed recently...

Any battery-powered mower recommendations for a 1600 sq ft lawn?

I'm team yellow, but don't really mind buying a different brand. Greenworks and Home Depot both have this for $400 (15% off). I don't really ever use the self-propel feature on my gas-powered Husqvarna, but when I make my kids mow the lawn, they typically do. So I guess it's a nice to have, but definitely not a hard requirement.

Looks like most of the Greenworks can only go as high as 3.75". Being in Northern CA, I like to bring my lawn up to 4" during the summer, so only being able to go up to 3.75" isn't optimal. I see the DeWalt only goes up to 3.75 as well.

20-21" width would be preferable.

I got the Kobalt 80v last autumn on half price clearance. Did not know that day that I wanted it. It will easily do that much on a charge. I'm pretty confident saying it'll handle twice that much on a single charge. But you'd have to wait until November for that kind of deal. They may have a sale this weekend or Father's day, idk.

edit- oh poo poo, 4", well I try to avoid the lawn ever getting that high. You may be able to rig some wheels onto it to get that, but that's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just grab the $200 Ryobi, pretty sure mine goes up to 4". 1600 sq ft is nothing, go cheap.