Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imperator divides the map into cities and rural areas and straight up asks you how much slaving and pillaging to do when you take a city. I feel like a form of that could work in EU period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
I'm not sure what my favorite part of the new monument systems is:

-That they put in a button to move them except only like 1 of them is actually movable
-That the UI forgets you have a monument upgrade going when you log out so you can't see the progress or use the speed up buttons
-That there isn't a monument map mode so you have to go through and find each one manually
-That most of them are religion/culture locked, some of them extremely narrowly

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Finally time to rip the bandaid off and get into this game. Can anyone recommend some decent guides on how to get started? I'm used to ck2/3 so I keep looking how to marry off my fail children, then get sad when I can't.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Trust me, it's the worst time to try this game. Wait for a major patch.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ilitarist posted:

Trust me, it's the worst time to try this game. Wait for a major patch.

Nah, just set the game to 1.30.6 and learn it that way, it's a nice stable patch.

I'm currently playing on 1.31 since it's at least playable now but might revert to 1.30 long term. Depends on exactly how silly the new mechanics end up when they're done rebalancing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Had a very weird bug on latest patch. I made my heir a general (because he sucked) and he died after not too long... but the general him didn't die. But when I would go and assign him to an army, the generals name changed and his stats flipped (2 fire 5 shock became 5 fire 2 shock). Sadly, he died before I could wage a war with this ghostly apparition.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i had that happen and he went from 3 siege to 0 siege

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Firebatgyro posted:

I'm not sure what my favorite part of the new monument systems is:

-That they put in a button to move them except only like 1 of them is actually movable
-That the UI forgets you have a monument upgrade going when you log out so you can't see the progress or use the speed up buttons
-That there isn't a monument map mode so you have to go through and find each one manually
-That most of them are religion/culture locked, some of them extremely narrowly

That you can stack monuments in one province if you move them. Why, why, why?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I saw there was a new expansion out, read about the monument system, got very excited because my favorite thing to do is just build infrastructure and wonders/monuments/megastructures/whatever, then read the reviews.

Then I read up about the details of monument system after the first few patches when it was starting to look playable and got even more disappointed. "Congrats! you get a monument, maybe, if your nation is lucky enough to have it in its borders, and also you never change out of the strict requirements."

Just let me build civ style wonders, drat it, paradox.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you do want to try out the game, it might not be a bad idea to play as Portugal. Ally Castile on day one, then between them and England (who you start allied to) you should be golden for the rest of the game. The only things that might go bad would be Morocco attacking you for your North African province or England dragging you into a war with France, but in both cases you should be able to get out for minimal damage (giving up the contested province to Morocco or dealing with being fully occupied until England peaces out France).

Take exploration ideas, drop a colonist in the New World, and just chill for a couple centuries while learning some of the mechanics.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like Paradox just announced Victoria III? I am not sure if it is a joke or not.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Looks like Paradox just announced Victoria III? I am not sure if it is a joke or not.

It's a joke unfortunately :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i dont think eu4 even got mentioned

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gaius Marius posted:

This is mean.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Now that I have had some time to really look into it, it appears like it is pretty real, or a very elaborate hoax.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Now that I have had some time to really look into it, it appears like it is pretty real, or a very elaborate hoax.

It's very real and already has a steam page: Victoria 3

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Forming Siam as Ayuthtya via mission is still bugged and doesn't seem to give you the siamese ideas.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

For the life of me I haven't been able to really crack another Paradox series -- I had a decent Aquitaine game in CK2, I've done a straightforward Germany run in Victoria 2, and I can futz around in Darkest Hour, but I don't feel like I understand any of them. What's the easiest one to get into from EU4?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sorry, misread.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 23, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cockblocktopus posted:

For the life of me I haven't been able to really crack another Paradox series -- I had a decent Aquitaine game in CK2, I've done a straightforward Germany run in Victoria 2, and I can futz around in Darkest Hour, but I don't feel like I understand any of them. What's the easiest one to get into from EU4?

Impertor is supposedly the closest in character. Personally I'd slam your head into Vicky 2 until you get it, once it clicks the rest of the games feel lesser in a way that's hard to describe

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

CK3 is pretty easy to get into right now. It's much more accessible than its predecessor and doesn't have any feature bloat since it's a new title.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I object to the thread title, Stellaris doesn't deserve to be compared to the mess that's EUIV.

Alternative thread title: Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan - It's like Stellaris, but worse.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I object to the thread title, Stellaris doesn't deserve to be compared to the mess that's EUIV.

Alternative thread title: Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan - It's like Stellaris, but worse.

EU4 is a bit of a mess right now but atleast the game is fun to play, something Stellaris still hasn't managed to get working.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

No.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I reverse object to the thread title, EU4 may be a mess this patch but doesn't deserve to be compared to the boring slog that is Stellaris.

Alternative thread title: Europa Universalis 4: Leviathan - It's like Stellaris, but at least it will probably get better

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More, more hot takes

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Stellaris is good now, and given the trajectory EU4 is on it will likely remain better than EU4 in perpetuity

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EU4 is still the best Paradox game by far. A sloppy expansion release doesn't change that.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

EU4 is still the best Paradox game by far. A sloppy expansion release doesn't change that.

Eu4 is currently the worst game in the pdx catalog. Its not even just about this patch anymore. Its a Frankenstein monster of spaghetti code and ill fitting expansion mechanics mashed into each other. This latest expansion is just the logical conclusion of the trajectory EU4 has been on for a while.

Its to a point that I have had more fun with Imperator for the past few months than ive had with EU4, and dont get me started on how badly it compares to CK3, the actual best game in the pdx catalog. I enjoyed my time with it but its time to recognize that its just past its prime and the only future in store for it is to become an even more bloated mess than it already is.

Thats why I dont really care about any EU news until its EU5 because the series desperately needs a fresh start. Though with Vicky 3 being the up and comer its gonna be a while until thats on the table.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Again and again, I see that you have earned your doctorate in video games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i can't get into the stellaris 4x style start anymore compared to eu4's

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
CK3 is pretty bad actually

A well-polished pile of boring. Medieval dress-up is the only actual good part.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I just lost my loving bloodline in EU4. I like to play royal lineages and I really dig the Solomonids in Ethiopia.

But I hosed up because I disinherited a loser and the dadking was too old. I really thought all the modifiers I had would make it a easy shoein for a new one.

I did spread the solomonids to my vassals and one ally so is there any way I can get them back in control?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Affi posted:

So I just lost my loving bloodline in EU4. I like to play royal lineages and I really dig the Solomonids in Ethiopia.

But I hosed up because I disinherited a loser and the dadking was too old. I really thought all the modifiers I had would make it a easy shoein for a new one.

I did spread the solomonids to my vassals and one ally so is there any way I can get them back in control?

RMs and disinheriting heirs from the new dynasty?

It's RNG but it can give you their dynasty/your old one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

oddium posted:

i can't get into the stellaris 4x style start anymore compared to eu4's

:agreed:

Stellaris really could have benefited from a non-random start with fully fleshed out empires and species that you could learn about through playing. It would have been a lot more effort, but it would fit more with paradox's style.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Fister Roboto posted:

:agreed:

Stellaris really could have benefited from a non-random start with fully fleshed out empires and species that you could learn about through playing. It would have been a lot more effort, but it would fit more with paradox's style.

Yeah when they announced a 'grand strategy' 4x i assumed this was their plan. Just seems like such an obvious missed opportunity. I mean people seem to love the opening exploration phase of stellaris even though that's by far the dullest part to me so :shrug:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fuligin posted:

Yeah when they announced a 'grand strategy' 4x i assumed this was their plan. Just seems like such an obvious missed opportunity. I mean people seem to love the opening exploration phase of stellaris even though that's by far the dullest part to me so :shrug:

I like the exploration part. But then again I also like the first 50 or turns in the various Civ games too for the same reason. I just like the exploring. I can't tell you how many games of Civ I've played where I'll play through the first 20-30 moves and then quit because I don't like the area around me for one reason or another.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TMMadman posted:

I like the exploration part. But then again I also like the first 50 or turns in the various Civ games too for the same reason. I just like the exploring. I can't tell you how many games of Civ I've played where I'll play through the first 20-30 moves and then quit because I don't like the area around me for one reason or another.
I'm on the same boat. Not sure why I like it so much but I know it has something to do with loving maps.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm on the same boat. Not sure why I like it so much but I know it has something to do with loving maps.

Same. I just love maps. When I was in my 20s working at a gas station I was the go to guy for directions. The store had a 6 county map book of the Chicago area and I would just constantly look it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think finding the perfect combination of geography and modifiers that aren’t just always there by design is very compelling. You start thinking “ok I could do this and take these traits and build this building” and see it all unfold in your head, which is basically always better than actually doing it. PDS games just don’t have anything like that really, which is why I hope they keep that side of the game in Stellaris 2 (and whatever fantasy GSG they’re working on) and try to shore up the late-game grand-strategy stage. I’m sure the presence of the first makes the second hard/impossible, but the PDS stable is large enough at this point to have different types of games imo.