Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
My last night actually statused as a photographer I ended up getting pulled to shoot a proposal in Japan with fireworks going off. My manager and I got into position early (so I could take some test shots to make sure the important ones turned out well). It was super cool, I got a lot of good candid unposed shots of them watching it and then went full shutterbug when the actual proposal was happening.

I also shot one inside of chefs de France which was pretty cool too.

My wife on the other hand told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to propose anywhere near the Disney parks. I did it after an escape room instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

WhiteHowler posted:

I always make it a point to wear shorts with zippable pockets when I'm going to ride roller coasters.

I did forget to take my hat off once on Tower of Terror. Fortunately, it went straight up (or, rather, stayed straight up) and fell in my lap, so I sheepishly grabbed and pocketed it mid-ride.

I did this on Space Mountain when I was a kid, my favorite hat flew right off my head and I was devastated until I got off my ride and my brother, who had been sitting behind me, handed it to me. Apparently it landed right in his lap.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Bottom Liner posted:

You gotta try the motorbike side, totally different ride! I was surprised by how substantial that waist restraint was and thought I'd just sit back and ride it like a normal coaster, but as soon as the first launch hit I grabbed those handlebars and held on tight haha. It really captures the feel of riding a motorcycle around twisty turns and sitting that high off the track in an aggressive upright position feels like you're flying around. They could have done a broom themed ride the same way and it would have been equally successful.

I haven't ridden a motorcycle in several years (due to being older and much more terrified of death), but goddamn did Hagrid'd make me feel like I was back in the saddle. I lucked into the first row twice!

It made me want to buy another motorcycle.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Cais posted:

My wife on the other hand told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to propose anywhere near the Disney parks. I did it after an escape room instead.

Imagining an elaborate scheme where the ultimate unlock for the room is the ring and you run out of time and then have to scramble to explain to the escape room staff

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Cais posted:

My last night actually statused as a photographer I ended up getting pulled to shoot a proposal in Japan with fireworks going off. My manager and I got into position early (so I could take some test shots to make sure the important ones turned out well). It was super cool, I got a lot of good candid unposed shots of them watching it and then went full shutterbug when the actual proposal was happening.

I also shot one inside of chefs de France which was pretty cool too.

This rules.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1395822463796359174

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

He must've seen a snake.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

A couple years ago I was at WDW with my good friend and goon DigitalMocking along with my wife and his GF. He proposed and I got a great shot of them with the castle in the background. It was awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hooo boy that company's insurance is not going to be happy

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Has anyone used SFB for flying in/out of Orlando? There's a regional airport and airline here that has flights going to it. It's a little cheaper and will save me a ton of time going to the airport. I'm just curious if there's anything bad about the airport that would make it less of an option.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Has anyone used SFB for flying in/out of Orlando? There's a regional airport and airline here that has flights going to it. It's a little cheaper and will save me a ton of time going to the airport. I'm just curious if there's anything bad about the airport that would make it less of an option.

It's further from WDW and rush hour traffic could be an issue depending on when you arrive or depart.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
If anyone is looking to take the little ones to Disney on Ice, the new show "Mickey's Search Party" is way better than the Disney on Ice "Dream Big" show. Much bigger set pieces, and there is more of a circus element with acrobats doing stunts. It was cool, and my toddler really enjoyed it, and if it comes back around would definitely take her again. 8 out of 10 Dole Whips, or something.

If you've been to the Dream Big show, they trimmed Frozen back bigtime, which was nice. Instead of going through literally the entire movie after intermission, they do a quick rundown of the main three songs and move along.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 23, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Boxman posted:

I proposed at Magic Kingdom, at the end of the first night of our trip. I stashed the ring in my pocket when we headed out for the parks, then spent the day terrified of losing it. You can see in all the on-ride photos from that day that I have one hand in my pocket with a death grip on the ring box.

Heh. So a few years ago, I proposed to my wife in the middle of a Christmas party we were hosting (just having a bunch of friends over to watch Christmas movies and TV episodes). I figured it was going to be the most obvious thing because she knew it was on the horizon, but other than ITSHAPPENING.gif going on in her head the moment I opened my mouth, it was a total surprise. We had an April DW trip planned and she was certain that was when I was going to go for it.

She was super relieved because the whole thing would have been so stressful and distracting to me for multiple reasons and by the time I would have asked the question, we'd probably be tired, sweaty messes. To this day, she will still randomly just say, "God, I'm glad you didn't propose at Disney."

Also, two funny stories from the proposal:

1) Only two friends, a married couple, were in on it. One to play our song when I got down to one knee and the other to take pictures on her phone. They were tense the whole day because of it and my now-wife spent the day thinking they were having a huge fight and were trying to hide it from everyone.

2) One friend was in the bathroom during the entire proposal. He came out minutes later, casually wondering why everyone was cheering. A year or so later, when he announced his own engagement on Facebook, me and my wife raced over who could comment, "Sorry, I was in the bathroom. What I miss?" first.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

The travel time from there to Disney might offset whatever time you save traveling to your regional airport. Especially if its during rush hour. Driving through downtown Orlando during rush hour just really, really sucks.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Their time will almost assuredly be shorter flying into Sanford, I’m guessing. “Theres a regional airport here” means (I’m pretty sure) that a large airport is at least an hour away, and said airport may not have direct flights to MCO (or not every day).

Jose, do you happen to be talking about Allegiant Air?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Their time will almost assuredly be shorter flying into Sanford, I’m guessing. “Theres a regional airport here” means (I’m pretty sure) that a large airport is at least an hour away, and said airport may not have direct flights to MCO (or not every day).

Jose, do you happen to be talking about Allegiant Air?

Yeah. The closest large airport is PIT which is 90 minutes from me vs. the regional which is less than 30 minutes. Plus the regional has free parking last time I checked. The other issue is that Allegiant only flies out two days a week so I have to factor that in with planning things. I thought of the things people brought up. I was just wondering if the airpot itself sucks or like, is it a huge colossal pain in the rear end getting an Uber or other rideshare. With the Magical Express going away and replaced by that new paid thing, it made me think about using that other airport again.

edit: Since you mentioned it, have you used Allegiant? How was it? I used another budget airline, Spirit once (someone else paid for the tickets) and I'm not sure if they actually saved any money factoring in luggage and the whole experience itself wasn't that great even for a short flight like that.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 24, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I've flown Allegiant five or six round trips. It’s completely … average and functional, in my experience. Small regional jets tend to be kind of loud. A three hour trip from your house to Orlando sure beats a 9 hour journey including a layover.

I don’t remember much about Sanford airport. Walked out, went to the car rental area, left. Reverse for departure. Nothing ever stood out as bad. Can’t say anything about Uber or whatnot.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Budget traveler who makes a lot of trips between San Francisco and Las Vegas, and I can add is that Spirit tacks on lots and lots of charges and will take you to the second string airport some miles off from a big city, but it will take off roughly about when they say it will. Allegiant is more inclusive and sticks it's hands in your wallet less often, but god only knows if you will actually get to take the flight on the day you booked it.

Spirit: Lots of fees, most of which are on luggage and perks like choosing a seat. I avoid most of these because I'm traveling between two cities where my family owns property so I can mail poo poo off before I fly. I have never been delayed.

Allegiant: Company is based in Las Vegas, and is mostly doing what the old National Airlines of 1999 did in commuting people from lower capacity airports to Vegas. Las Vegas doesn't work unless people are flying in from everywhere to dump their money, so there has always been a "Vegas Air" of sorts that uses LAS as a hub and flies to all sorts of minor regional airports that major airlines pass on to make sure everyone nationwide can lose money gambling and not just the people in big cities. Allegiant's finally retiring the most ancient of their fleet, but I had a flight that was basically delayed ~20 hours because it was one of the old McDonald-Douglas planes that was on it's last few journeys, and I chose to take three free flights and use one on a replacement flight a week later. This kind of thing is not uncommon.

The other thing is that Allegiant tends to do one or two flights a week on many small routes, Spirit does the ten flights a day every day sort of thing you'd expect from Southwest or JetBlue. If you don't get to fly on Allegiant after all, they likely will not have another flight between where you are and where you want to be for four or five days.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Chapek announcing, much to my dislike, that virtual queues (i.e. RotR) are here to stay. Park reservation system sticking around for the forseeable future as well.
Seems odd to me to continue the park reservations past the pandemic since that really kills the value of park hopper which I imagine is such an easy upcharge to cash in on

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Park reservations and no fastpass forever, says I.

For reals I've heard attractions CMs on other boards saying that the stated queue times are longer than they actually are and the jobs are much less of a hassle with FP being gone. They see the size of the line and their thinking is that line will take 80 minutes to process but it actually takes 45 because there is no FP line-cutting. Basically so few frontline CMs exist from before 1998 or whenever FP rolled out that most of these kids have never seen how well the attractions run at peak efficiency.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fastpass can rot in hell. And not the cool one with Hades.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Park reservations are still needed because they are still operating with (reduced) social distancing. As soon as the CDC says otherwise I imagine they will stop the reservations or at least make the capacity so high as to be effectively stopped.

Mostly because for every 1 person they stop from going to the park they are losing hundreds of dollars in admissions and spending. There is no way they keep capacity limited long term.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There’s no reason they can’t return to full capacity and still use the reservation system. As pointed out before, it lets them balance labor needs precisely and never over staff. Not to mention food prep and all the other logistics that having an exact head count helps with.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bottom Liner posted:

There’s no reason they can’t return to full capacity and still use the reservation system. As pointed out before, it lets them balance labor needs precisely and never over staff. Not to mention food prep and all the other logistics that having an exact head count helps with.

Full capacity means there is always a reservation available except maybe on Christmas and New Years. As I said… effectively gone.

They were also already very lean pre-COVID with the data they got from MDE/FP+/Magic Bands. Long gone were the days with 5 minute waits for Space Mountain at the end of the night because they staffed for more people than showed up. Now they know exactly how many people to keep and when to remove cars to keep the lines long until close.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 24, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems insane to think of Disney artificially capping capacity when huge people-eating rides are on extended shutdown, because they could just make a bunch of money to sell people a half-operational park and they have done that before. But part of the reason FP grew to be everywhere is due to people saying it made them want to come back. Having a park that's packed full and has little to do doesn't make people come back.

Basically Disney operates under the motto that they're confident you want to come visit right now, but what can they do to get you to come visit in some unspecified future after they have slashed budgets and aren't offering as much?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Zero One posted:

Full capacity means there is always a reservation available except maybe on Christmas and New Years. As I said… effectively gone.

Sure, but it also helps them foresee a random weekday being 10-20% slower and let’s them adjust in prep. There are (were) still slow afternoons at the parks even if the overall trend was mostly busy.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, but it also helps them foresee a random weekday being 10-20% slower and let’s them adjust in prep. There are (were) still slow afternoons at the parks even if the overall trend was mostly busy.

I editted my post but they already were able to Min-Max operations before COVID thanks to all the money they spent on the systems around Magic Bands and the app. Except for freak weather those slow afternoons are gone. And if they did get slower than expected they know right away thanks to the data and cut staff and the lines stay long.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Disney's been capping still (A lot of is currently more due to cast shortages than anything else at the moment). They are reopening it quickly as possible, that's why they are restarting the college program ASAP. The caps Disney has had lately (which will keep going through the end of the month) have been spilling over into the other parks, so SeaWorld and Universal have been SLAMMED since the mask changes began. This whole summer is going to be slammed.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

Seems odd to me to continue the park reservations past the pandemic since that really kills the value of park hopper which I imagine is such an easy upcharge to cash in on

Park hopper's back, I think. You just have to check into your reserved park first, and you can't hop until...I don't know, sometime in the afternoon.

Permanent park reservations are a bit of a mixed bag, since it just depends how Disney wants to handle it. What's the most likely scenario? That reservations 2 weeks out are 90% of what's forecasted, and Disney cuts staff; or that reservations are 110% of what's forecasted and Disney adds staff? Obviously all those numbers are made up, but hopefully I'm getting the idea across. The Mouse just having that data doesn't necessarily mean anything without knowing how they'll handle it.

What's somewhat interesting to me is that if they're keen on keeping it, they're presumably getting much more precise data out of this than FP+ bookings. This makes sense; the hardest headcount to predict would've been the people that weren't booking their FP+ in advance (since they were presumably making more spur of the moment decisions), but as always, I'm curious what proportion of Disney guests showed up with various levels of no planning. What percentage of people decided on a park the night before? That morning? It couldn't have been zero.

EDIT:
Thank you :)
vvvvvvv

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 25, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
2pm for hopping, Boxman.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
one day when im done with my current career, I wanna go do data science for Disney.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Boxman posted:

Park hopper's back, I think. You just have to check into your reserved park first, and you can't hop until...I don't know, sometime in the afternoon.

I know it's back, been back since early spring I think. Still doesn't have as much value as it used to since you can't hop until 2pm I think.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If they're keeping Park Pass, they need to drop the whole different buckets for regular tickets/APs/resort guests. It's very annoying to want to go on a random day, check the app and see APs are blocked but regular ticket and theme park guests can get spots. Same-day availability shouldn't be bucketed

ETA: And increase the limit from three days for APs to some other number. It's a nightmare and stressful trying to coordinate trips with family. if they buy a six or seven day ticket, I can only guarantee I can go with them three days, and the rest are a crapshoot.

Omne fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 25, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/foutchhy/status/1397378997709795331

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1397537226469347329

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

but with masks on surely, right? :ohdear:

I'm holding on to my reservation at the moment for the 50th but my spouse is probably stuck in the middle east, I have two dogs in hospice care, and I'll be back on funeral duty in August so I probably ain't gonna get to go. And even if I have the ability, I'm gonna wanna watch infection rates awfully close right now.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Wrong thread

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

but with masks on surely, right? :ohdear:

I'm holding on to my reservation at the moment for the 50th but my spouse is probably stuck in the middle east, I have two dogs in hospice care, and I'll be back on funeral duty in August so I probably ain't gonna get to go. And even if I have the ability, I'm gonna wanna watch infection rates awfully close right now.

Given the amount of passive ventilation on those things (at least when they are moving) prob a non issue.

Cases are down about 30% from 2 weeks ago and appear to still be steadily declining. I wouldn't be shocked if we are looking at acceptable even for your standards by end of summer.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Given the amount of passive ventilation on those things (at least when they are moving) prob a non issue.

Cases are down about 30% from 2 weeks ago and appear to still be steadily declining. I wouldn't be shocked if we are looking at acceptable even for your standards by end of summer.

22k cases yesterday, almost 700 deaths. While cases seem to be coming down, I'd really like to see deaths keep falling faster, too. Maybe we'll get there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

22k cases yesterday, almost 700 deaths. While cases seem to be coming down, I'd really like to see deaths keep falling faster, too. Maybe we'll get there!

Deaths have always been a lagging indicator. If you follow any sort of trends, deaths will lag behind by 2-4 weeks with new cases. That said, deaths are still down about 15% over 2 weeks, so also, trending correctly.