Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, pork historically has a bad reputation for harboring food-borne parasites, particularly trichinosis; this is also why older recipes for pork will call for cooking it to within an inch of its life. I've heard that as the practical explanation of pork prohibition, but I have no idea if that's accurate to the real history.

Fun fact about pork: freezing kills trichnosis so you can eat your pork sashimi as long as you freeze it for like a week before eating (don't do this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Most of these sound like motivated reasoning to help put a shine on not being able to partake of swine.

I do imagine that it indirectly assisted in keeping the cohesion of the Jewish community in the diaspora, though, since it would be harder for them to dine with Gentiles (except for trivial things like bread) and thus either be tempted into their society or intermarry with them.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, pork historically has a bad reputation for harboring food-borne parasites, particularly trichinosis; this is also why older recipes for pork will call for cooking it to within an inch of its life. I've heard that as the practical explanation of pork prohibition, but I have no idea if that's accurate to the real history.

I'm pretty sure eating any sort of undercooked meat (or fish) is bad for you

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Fun fact about pork: freezing kills trichnosis so you can eat your pork sashimi as long as you freeze it for like a week before eating (don't do this)

You want to do this (hard quick freeze at a very low temperature) to anything eaten raw. Next time one eats salmon look for little round circles in the fillet, those are parasitic nematodes. There are so many cysts, and eggs and worms in anything wild.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
In countries with modern agricultural standards, pork is as safe as steak. There's no need to turn it into a shoe these days.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

Most of these sound like motivated reasoning to help put a shine on not being able to partake of swine.

I do imagine that it indirectly assisted in keeping the cohesion of the Jewish community in the diaspora, though, since it would be harder for them to dine with Gentiles (except for trivial things like bread) and thus either be tempted into their society or intermarry with them.

A lot of the dietary laws don't have any basis other than "you're not them. They eat X, so you don't." Pork probably falls in that category - not eating it simply differentiated the Hebrews from the other groups around them.

Many other laws fall are the same way. They're not particularly onerous, just picky. If you're serious about being part of the group, then this is what you do. If eating pork or wearing cloth with mixed fibers is more important to you than being a Hebrew, then :getout:.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm pretty sure eating any sort of undercooked meat (or fish) is bad for you

Are sashimi and steak tartare are notably lethal in your world...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DigitalRaven posted:

Are sashimi and steak tartare are notably lethal in your world...

Basically all fish used for sashimi is flash frozen at -20C most beef is hard frozen after processing too.

Worms and nematodes are no joke.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
The chicken lays eggs, the cow and goat gives milk, the sheep gives wool. The pig offers nothing until you slaughter it. Meaning it is more expensive to raise pigs than other animals in a bronze age society. Since pigs also drink quite a lot of water, they are not really suited to nomadic desert life.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there a process in Buddhism for determining if there’s a new Boddhisatva? Christian denominations have methods for determining new saints, and it seems like Boddhisatvas have intercessory powers too, so how can the existence of a new one, or discovery of an old one from a previous universe, be discerned?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Any follower of the mahayana path is a bodhisattva. A mahasattva which is who people pray to generally has their existence revealed by the buddha

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.psypost.org/2021/05/new-study-links-intrinsic-religious-motivation-to-higher-level-patterns-of-thought-60857

Kind of interesting article I stumbled on. Certainly holds true to me personally. I can't say I've ever thought as much about the how's and why's of life as I did once I became religious.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Any follower of the mahayana path is a bodhisattva. A mahasattva which is who people pray to generally has their existence revealed by the buddha

i once went to a talk by a buddhist teacher who told us that the word boddhisatva is sometimes just used as a very nice complement towards a person, when you want to express that you you think they do a good job applying the teachings of buddhism to their life/community. i don't know if all schools of buddhism do this though

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i once went to a talk by a buddhist teacher who told us that the word boddhisatva is sometimes just used as a very nice complement towards a person, when you want to express that you you think they do a good job applying the teachings of buddhism to their life/community. i don't know if all schools of buddhism do this though

Boddhisattva means like 8 different things. It means one of the "gods" (technically not gods but they function the same) you pray to, a person who will eventually become a buddha (the south-east asian version of aesop fables is something called the Jataka tales where the main character is always the past life of the buddha as like a pigeon where he learns a moral he carries with him into buddhahood) any buddhist who has decided they're just going to stay in Samsara to help everyone, someone who acts in a morally upstanding manner reminiscent of one of the "gods" you pray to like what your guy was talking about etc. etc.

Bodhisattvas are recognized in theravadin buddhism (the buddhism of southeast asia minus vietnam but plus sri lanka) but they're pretty irrelevant there. They're very much a mahayana thing where they're the defining feature of the denomination.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Boddhisattva means like 8 different things. It means one of the "gods" (technically not gods but they function the same) you pray to, a person who will eventually become a buddha (the south-east asian version of aesop fables is something called the Jataka tales where the main character is always the past life of the buddha as like a pigeon where he learns a moral he carries with him into buddhahood) any buddhist who has decided they're just going to stay in Samsara to help everyone, someone who acts in a morally upstanding manner reminiscent of one of the "gods" you pray to like what your guy was talking about etc. etc.

Bodhisattvas are recognized in theravadin buddhism (the buddhism of southeast asia minus vietnam but plus sri lanka) but they're pretty irrelevant there. They're very much a mahayana thing where they're the defining feature of the denomination.
It makes sense for it to be an idiomatic thing for a good person, much like "saint" though

White Coke
May 29, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A mahasattva which is who people pray to generally has their existence revealed by the buddha

Revealed in what way? Scriptural exegesis?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone sent me this story today and it is relevant to the current conversation

http://www.electricsheepcomix.com/jain/01.html

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That owns

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

CommonShore posted:

That was absolutely amazing!

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

CommonShore posted:

That was beautiful

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

CommonShore posted:

I started reading and couldn't stop until I had finished it. Truly inspiring! 😮

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CommonShore posted:

Got around to this finally and it's making me think many thoughts. Cheers.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My Bishop is lifting the Mass dispensation as of the last Sunday of this month. I hope this doesn’t prove to be premature.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i assume an order like that has carve-outs so high risk people aren't being told "you need to come back and possibly be exposed to anti-vaxxers who might be carrying", right?

ugh, this stupid virus :v:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i assume an order like that has carve-outs so high risk people aren't being told "you need to come back and possibly be exposed to anti-vaxxers who might be carrying", right?

ugh, this stupid virus :v:

I imagine most reinstatement-of-the-obligation orders don't have explicit carveouts, no. A person's pastor can always dispense them from their Mass obligation, but that'd require telling your pastor you need to be dispensed, and not everybody's up for that. (My own archbishop's order specifically reminds pastors that they can dispense someone, for example, but even then - not everybody wants to tell their pastor that they're in a high-risk group or what have you.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm glad that everyone enjoyed it! I'll tell my friend who shared it with me.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Someone in this thread might find this talk I found interesting: it's about Christianity from the perspective of Buddhism and Buddhist philosophy by someone who is somehow both a Christian and Buddhist contemplative. Skillfully done imo as it doesn't really detract from either tradition.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

zhar posted:

Someone in this thread might find this talk I found interesting: it's about Christianity from the perspective of Buddhism and Buddhist philosophy by someone who is somehow both a Christian and Buddhist contemplative. Skillfully done imo as it doesn't really detract from either tradition.

Sounds interesting, I’ll have to listen to it. Does she address whether YHWH is an entity bound to the cycle of rebirth like everyone else, or the eternal, uncreated creator God of Abrahamic tradition? Because that seems to me to be an irreconcilable sticking point. From what little I’ve read about it Dvaita Vedanta seems to posit an eternal God outside of the cycle of reincarnation, so I can see that form of Hinduism being reconciled with Christianity in a way that Buddhism can’t. I think one could even have some success reconciling non-dualistic teachings with Christianity as long as they’re theistic.

zhar
May 3, 2019

White Coke posted:

Sounds interesting, I’ll have to listen to it. Does she address whether YHWH is an entity bound to the cycle of rebirth like everyone else, or the eternal, uncreated creator God of Abrahamic tradition? Because that seems to me to be an irreconcilable sticking point. From what little I’ve read about it Dvaita Vedanta seems to posit an eternal God outside of the cycle of reincarnation, so I can see that form of Hinduism being reconciled with Christianity in a way that Buddhism can’t. I think one could even have some success reconciling non-dualistic teachings with Christianity as long as they’re theistic.

It is addressed. In Vajrayana there is this concept of primordial pure awareness that is free from birth or cessation that the phenomonal world is a creative display of.

You may find this article I dug up from one of Eva's buddhist teachers interesting, it goes into a bit more depth on this point.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

I saw this posted in another thread, and I thought the posters here might get a kick out if it.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Came across a very long baptismal record the other day, which is always interesting to me. Whenever the priest felt like writing stuff down, there's got to be good stuff there, so I usually save those in a big ol' text file. Oh also, this is in Denmark, so we're talking lutheran protestantism. Anyway:

It was from the 1730s, but the girl was born in the 1720s. It said that "due to the midwife's thoughtless act, the child was baptized in beer instead of water". It went on to specify, that when this had become public (no idea when), the bishop had declared that the girl should be re-baptized once she had reached an age where she "by teaching could know what the baptisim is, and explain the apostle's creed". Thus, the 9 year old girl was re-baptized, and indeed given a more fancy version of her original name (her request?).

I shared this with other genealogists, and a former priest told me that by contemporary law, the priest and the bishop should have lost their jobs, if not been excommunicated. The various baptist denominations that practiced adult baptism were strictly illegal in Denmark at the time. It was sufficient for a baptism to have been made in the name of the trinity etc, whether the sacrament was done with beer or water. In fact, beer would probably be safer, as it had been boiled

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Leonard Crow Dog made his journey to the spirit world last night. Crow Dog was one of the greatest living spiritual leaders of the Lakota people and very active in pan-Indian political activism (AIM, Wounded Knee, etc).

https://web.archive.org/web/20100605030756/https://www.mnsu.edu/emuseum/history/mncultures/crow_dog.htm

quote:

His father chased off truant officers with a shotgun to keep him out of school, because acculturation into white society would have spoiled his training as a medicine man.

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

The Christian bibles i have has a passage saying: "Are you scared of hundreds of thousands of people?" Yes i surely am.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shaddak posted:

I saw this posted in another thread, and I thought the posters here might get a kick out if it.

This touches on a lot of interesting things! The first many baptists in Denmark went straight to jail because of their tenet of adult baptism, which was seen as subversive and dangerous at the time. I believe it got outlawed in 1741 by the Konventikel Plakaten (which I suppose translates to the Conventicle Act, though the literal translation would be 'Conventicle Poster', perhaps a new moniker for our baptist goons? - A 'conventicle' is a religious meeting, and it was at these the many outlawed sects did stuff the main church did not approve of), which also banned sermons by traveling preachers and indeed any religious meeting outside of official church rooms.

Getting control of the baptists was only a desired side-effect, as the Konventikel was primarily concerned with the actions of reknowned Pietists like Hans Nielsen Hauge, Carl Olof Rosenius and Peter Spaak. Their Pietism placed the personal relation with God outside the control of the state, and so it was considered dangerous for christian unity (and state control, natch).

It didn't work out well (surprise!), and some time in the 1700s we decided to take the sting off the Pietist revolution by, uh, adopting Pietism as our state religion! Still, it was the Hallensian branch that got used, as it had a more positive view of state and church.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Tias posted:

This touches on a lot of interesting things! The first many baptists in Denmark went straight to jail because of their tenet of adult baptism, which was seen as subversive and dangerous at the time. I believe it got outlawed in 1741 by the Konventikel Plakaten (which I suppose translates to the Conventicle Act, though the literal translation would be 'Conventicle Poster', perhaps a new moniker for our baptist goons? - A 'conventicle' is a religious meeting, and it was at these the many outlawed sects did stuff the main church did not approve of), which also banned sermons by traveling preachers and indeed any religious meeting outside of official church rooms.

Getting control of the baptists was only a desired side-effect, as the Konventikel was primarily concerned with the actions of reknowned Pietists like Hans Nielsen Hauge, Carl Olof Rosenius and Peter Spaak. Their Pietism placed the personal relation with God outside the control of the state, and so it was considered dangerous for christian unity (and state control, natch).

It didn't work out well (surprise!), and some time in the 1700s we decided to take the sting off the Pietist revolution by, uh, adopting Pietism as our state religion! Still, it was the Hallensian branch that got used, as it had a more positive view of state and church.

That's actually kind of interesting. And here I was just laughing about the baptism with beer part.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Shaddak posted:

That's actually kind of interesting. And here I was just laughing about the baptism with beer part.

Beerptism

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

this is when you burp and you feel the real presence of beer

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MAWWIAGE

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Some of you might dig a novel called Between Two Fires. It's a story about a faithless knight and a young girl travelling through France during the time of the black death. God has gone missing and Satan has decided to make war on the earth and heaven. Some of the imagery from it will stick with me for a while.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Some of you might dig a novel called Between Two Fires. It's a story about a faithless knight and a young girl travelling through France during the time of the black death. God has gone missing and Satan has decided to make war on the earth and heaven. Some of the imagery from it will stick with me for a while.

I also heartily recommend this. It's a beautiful book but harrowing in places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacegrass
May 1, 2013

Does anyone here of the Christian faith believe in Hell? I have seen it; well, at least when I was really suffering. I do feel it was God giving me a 2nd chance. Although even if He will not do it, the threat is strong enough that some of us need to straighten up.