Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The thing that stands out to me here is that these guys keep talking like you should just have a bitcoin and sit on it, like an egg, forever, because that will make you Rich.

My understanding is that in order to do anything with money, you have to exchange it for something else -- even the omega-rich are more like "I have effectively all the money I want, because I own a shitload of assets, and have set it up so the accounting systems automatically shuffle around and reconcile things for when I buy a $27million house for my rent boy."

You can't do that so easily with bitcoins... indeed it seems like all this distributed ledger poo poo means you would have a hard time doing it at all without basically handing your private key to your accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nessus posted:

The thing that stands out to me here is that these guys keep talking like you should just have a bitcoin and sit on it, like an egg, forever, because that will make you Rich.

If you believe that Bitcoin will one day be the world's main currency that is an entirely rational thing to do.

OTOH it's a completely insane belief, not just for the oft-mentioned technical problems of bitcoin that make it impossible to use at large scale, but also because that would mean that every bitcoin would be worth about $1.5 million and the early money hoards (satoshi, the mtgox theft wallet) would be multi-trillionaires. It's obviously impossible that the world would just hand over that much money for nothing.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

xtal posted:

I mean, it's a fundamental principle of computing and expected knowledge of any computer scientist in the last decade...

Alright, I'm a Computer Science major and a Computer Science teacher, and so far, reading your posts has revealed to me that either I know nothing about Computer Science, or you don't.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't worry guys or lord and savior Elon has had a chat with the bitcoin folks and they are totally going to use renewable energy. Pinky swear.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1396914548167233537?s=20

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Code Jockey posted:

how long until we hear a leak out of Tesla that Elon asked his team about running doge miners in the cars, like including it in a mandatory firmware update or something

Would certainly explain their propensity to catch fire.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Bible posted:

Alright, I'm a Computer Science major and a Computer Science teacher, and so far, reading your posts has revealed to me that either I know nothing about Computer Science, or you don't.

What, you mean you've never heard of Zooko's Triangle, a fundamental tenet of computer science that is definitely taught by serious schools and not some obscure blog post that resurfaced on ycombinator a couple months ago and therefore a particular breed of incurious, credulous tech junkie now thinks is established fact (don't check the sources, they didn't)?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zooko's triangle sounds like a fancy night club for clowns.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

The Bible posted:

it's not you :ssh:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

spankmeister posted:

Don't worry guys or lord and savior Elon has had a chat with the bitcoin folks and they are totally going to use renewable energy. Pinky swear.

I wish Elon would find a new pet project to obsess over, because his interference in Bitcoin is getting tiring quickly. Cheers at ETH switching to PoW by either end of 2021 or mid 2022 though, exciting news.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snuff Melange posted:

I wish Elon would find a new pet project to obsess over, because his interference in Bitcoin is getting tiring quickly. Cheers at ETH switching to PoW by either end of 2021 or mid 2022 though, exciting news.

Oh yeah, I'm sure those changes will happen this time for sure!

Also, they're supposedly switching to PoS.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

spankmeister posted:

lol

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Fame Douglas posted:

PoS my Eth hole.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I just took a look at bitcoin.com and the recent stories are packed with hilariously histrionic whataboutism and flailing rage. "The US dollar is backed by the US military which emits lots of carbon. What now, nocoiners!" :kingsley:

Snuff Melange
May 21, 2021

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Fame Douglas posted:

Oops you caught me bad posting, PoS is right, wasn't rubbing my brain cells together enough.

I'm optimistic although that has proved detrimental in my little involvement in crypto speculating thus far, you could very well be right.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

spankmeister posted:

I thought Stefon retired from the culture beat.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I just took a look at bitcoin.com and the recent stories are packed with hilariously histrionic whataboutism and flailing rage. "The US dollar is backed by the US military which emits lots of carbon. What now, nocoiners!" :kingsley:

Someone (probably ITT) said while bitcoin is backed by math, the dollar is backed by nuclear bombs, which is also backed by math along physics and chemistry.

The choice is clear.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

spankmeister posted:

This is potentially good for bitcoin! :shepspends:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Wow, that is..... incredibly stupid. Wondrously inept and with a stunning lack of common sense

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

EorayMel posted:

the dollar is backed by nuclear bombs, which is also backed by math along physics and chemistry.

Math is just a system we found that is useful for describing things, seems hard for something real to be "backed by Math"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It's always a painful moment when folks who know how to drop obscure buzzwords run into folks who actually work in the industry and know how to look things up

See: Every evangelist for "blockchain technology" talking to folks who actually do programming

Somfin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 24, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Fame Douglas posted:

Math is just a system we found that is useful for describing things, seems hard for something real to be "backed by Math"

bitcoin is backed by HODL, a shared delusion, and nothing else. but that's enough in some cases

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

By the way, doesn't proof of stake automatically bake in control for those who already have a ton of coin? Am I misunderstanding the fundamentals? Because that seems obvious to me

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

It's always a painful moment when folks who know how to drop obscure buzzwords run into folks who actually work in the industry and know how to look things up

See: Every evangelist for "blockchain technology" talking to folks who actually do programming

Aren't you the person who compared blockchains to a SQL database? I thought you said you were some kind of project or program manager, meanwhile I'm an actual cryptographer...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

xtal posted:

Aren't you the person who compared blockchains to a SQL database? I thought you said you were some kind of project or program manager, meanwhile I'm an actual cryptographer...

Who cares, stop posting.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

xtal posted:

you do seem the type to roll their own crypto

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Fame Douglas posted:

Who cares, stop posting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

xtal posted:

Funny, you sound more like a forklift operator.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

xtal posted:

Decrypt this: opstay ostingpay.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm a grass fed, organic cryptocoiner AmA

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

oxsnard posted:

I'm a grass fed, organic cryptocoiner AmA

Is centralization immoral?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Bronze Fonz posted:

are 13 year olds able to give consent? What kind of question is that

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

xtal posted:

meanwhile I'm an actual cryptographer...

Wow! You draw maps?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

xtal posted:

People try and fail to make approachable metaphors all the time. Comparing blockchain to something like a SQL DB is unfair because that makes it seem more complicated than it is.

Blockchain is essentially a cryptographically verifiable email chain. Instead of a central signing authority, the signature comes by way of a nondeterministic polynomial function where people waste resources by trying to be the oracle for the next block. That's why I think Hal Finney was Satoshi - He solved a problem he had already solved in a new and novel way that removed the need for a central authority.

Blockchain has extremely narrow applicability, so people who were excited by it tried to apply it to all kinds of real world problems where a database would be better. It's not a relational database at all. It is a database in the same kind of way the windows registry is though.

Edit: where a simple database would be better.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bronze Fonz posted:

poor xlol, thought of states and died

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

xtal posted:

You're a cryptographer? Name every prime number.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Please just keep him busy so he stays out of the healthcare thread and stops telling us posting cool bone scans is ‘creepy’

Stop coming here xtal, nobody wants you, nobody likes you, go roast your brain over a few half melted graphics cards

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

please knock Mom! posted:

Please just keep him busy so he stays out of the healthcare thread and stops telling us posting cool bone scans is ‘creepy’

Stop coming here xtal, nobody wants you, nobody likes you, go roast your brain over a few half melted graphics cards

Normally by the time people melt down this much I know them but who are you again?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I once made a text adventure in SQL. I doubt it's possible on a blockchain.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
The single 1985 nintendo that could run the entire bitcoin blockchain by itself could also run a text adventure, same thing right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Cryptography is a weird subset of computer poo poo. You're doing a bunch of automata and algorithms and discreet math and then BLAM. Here comes a whole new algebraic notation (⊕ anyone?) with a bunch of logarithms and crap. I can see why that would melt your brain and turn you into a CSPAM poster.