Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

goatface posted:

Flamers and infernos are in the "enemy weapon" place where I don't like fighting them but have no desire to use them.

The flamer fuel limit seems odd. Would flamers without fuel limitation (or with an ammo count of ~20) be game breaking?

With what they did with the heat scale, it ends up being like that, normal battletech does not have your mech start melting the moment it overheats

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/CBT_Tables#Heat_Point_Table For the example. Now, you do run the risk of your ammo cooking off it your heat gets really high, but since CBT has all weapons fire happen at the same time, if you are in flamer range you just use less gun to cut down on your potential heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Kodiak too, its "only" long range weapon is an ER Large Laser, but... Clan ER Mediums being what they are, it's still totally cheating.

The Sagittaire is a good one from later eras, it's a jumping pulse laser carrier and it's murderous in a city fight. It's just hugely vulnerable in open battles.

"Juggernaut" Assaults are relatively uncommon in later eras, the Clan paradigm shifts the way assaults get used after their appearance.

In 3025, the roles are basically:
Light - Scouts, Raiders
Medium - Trooper 'Mechs, Scout Hunters
Heavy - Cavalry, Fire Support
Assault - Juggernauts (tanky, short-range city fighters), Fire Support

The Clans do things differently:
Light - Training, Troopers, Scouts
Medium - Scouts, Raiders
Heavy - Trooper 'Mechs, Scout Hunters
Assault - Cavalry, Fire Support

They don't really use assaults the same way, and Clan fire support assaults eat the old IS juggernauts alive. So the Inner Sphere shifts their tactics to match or counter. That's why you start seeing more monsters like the Devastator and the Cerberus and fewer of the classic AC/20 carriers as the timeline progresses.

Edit: Infernos (Inferno++, at least) can be really good on over-engined 'Mechs with two or more missile hardpoints they'd normally have trouble using. They're not useful all the time but they're a good way to keep 'Mechs with long minimum ranges from getting swarmed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 21, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

King Crab variants can be pretty good for a "close range" mech, but even so most of those up the long range damage and then swap the AC/20s for LB-X for exploiting holes in the enemy armor.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Why is Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock bad? I assume it's because you don't take Breaching Shot or Sensor Lock unless you want to use them pretty much constantly, and since you Sensor Lock instead of attacking, you can't really do both.

That or the kind of mechs where Sensor Locking is a good and worthwhile thing are not the kind of mechs where Breaching Shot is a good and worthwhile thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There are two defensive skills in the game. Having either one is a huge boost to survivability. Taking Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock means you took neither of them.

The 'strongest' combo in the game is Coolant Vent + Surefooted (both defensive skills and Coolant Vent is a big offense boost for a 'Mech that runs hot).

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

And running hot means the mech has more gun, and more gun means killing the enemy faster which is also less damage to you.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Have you ever done a Let's Play with the BTA 3062 mod? I would be interested in watching that, if you have.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm not sure if BTA would end up frustrating or not in a Let's Play. I started a new career recently and it has been far less crash prone than in the past (the select salvage-> return to Argo one is what used to plague me). But it's also kinda not really set up to be the power fantasy stunt on the AI capable experience that you can do with vanilla/PTN's mods, mostly because there are no +++ buffed weapons.

I like it a lot, to be clear, it's my most played mod, I just don't know how much of a draw it would be.

I think the expanded mechlab options are WAY more engaging, but that's too me as the player who loves tweaking Mechs, more than me watching to see what someone else builds.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Filthy Lucre posted:

Have you ever done a Let's Play with the BTA 3062 mod? I would be interested in watching that, if you have.

I'm always down for more LP of pretty much anything in this universe. Admittedly, most of that comes from having Good Posters with knowledge of the universe regularly contributing. :thumbsup:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Regarding the Roughneck, it might be nice to see it get some use. I like the Grasshopper, I've had fun using and seeing others use it but that's the thing, it's a fairly common heavy with a straightforward use. The RGH looks like it fills a similar niche, but I'm always interested in seeing weird or different stuff get used. The COIL Dragon and things like it are a treat to see.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A comment on the roughneck and SDLF status in this mod: You can tell which mechs can't be headcapped by their pilots, listed as 'Ace Mechwarrior' or 'Legendary' as opposed to the usual skill determined roles. If they can't be headcapped, they can't take head hits from weapons at all, this includes stray headshots from random missiles or lasers. The roughneck in 66 was listed as a regular Defender, and caught a missile to the noggin in the course of normal play. You could have headshot it with impunity.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I started playing this game again because of this LP, and did you know you can fit two PPCs on an Urbanmech? :kheldragar: The best part is that the speakers blasting Vengabus at 140 DB on loop don't even cost extra tonnage.

Don't actually do this, your trash can with feet will become a microwave with feet and cook itself to death. Two Large Lasers on an Urbie, though? Now that's spicy.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 24, 2021

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I prefer sticking double LBX-2s on my Urbies, shotgun all the things

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The UrbanMech is in an interesting place. It's a gimmick 'Mech, and its gimmick is that it's really good in the very early game when you're fighting half-armor light 'Mechs.

The usefulness of the Urbie drops off at the same rate as the usefulness of the Autocannon/10. Aside from moving the ammo out of the torso, the stock UrbanMech is plenty usable until you can replace it with something better (which usually doesn't take long).

Edit: Unfortunately, the UrbanMech isn't endgame viable. It just doesn't move fast enough to generate enough evasion pips. If you wanted to try to use one longer, my suggestion is Snub-nose PPCs.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 24, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, no, I’m not going to keep using it for long, but 2xLL Urbie is a fantastic meme mech.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

girl dick energy posted:

Oh, no, I’m not going to keep using it for long, but 2xLL Urbie is a fantastic meme mech.

2xLL is actually fairly good at tech 1, if both hit you are stripping 1 ton of armor from a mech per turn. that is really not a bad pace especially against other smaller mechs that won't be heavily armored themselves.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

2xLL is actually fairly good at tech 1, if both hit you are stripping 1 ton of armor from a mech per turn. that is really not a bad pace especially against other smaller mechs that won't be heavily armored themselves.

Especially because the damage is more concentrated than most weapons early on. I always struggle with missiles early because pilot accuracy is terrible and the damage is spread so evenly it takes forever to core something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Pilot skill chat:

Everyone's got different takes on what to build first. Mine isn't simple, but I've got a few core rules:

1) Get your gunnery to 2 (if it isn't already). It really should be at least 2. You can safely ignore Gunnery 3, the UI is lying. Unless you're using a mod that changes skills, Gunnery only has value on even numbered levels (2, 4, 6, 8, and 10), which each offer a 5% accuracy boost. The odd levels do nothing at all, so you should never ever feel pressured to up your Gunnery unless you can get two levels at once.

2) Train your 'core skills' to 4 to unlock them. Most of the time this should be Guts 4 + something else, although there are a few workable exceptions (Surefooted + Master Tactician is endgame viable but riskier than the Bulwark version; Surefooted + Breaching Shot is a gimmick but works fine on one-gun gimmick 'Mechs like an Assassin or our Dragon). Before you hit Gunnery 4, you'll want to boat as many lasers as you can. Their accuracy bonus is great in the early game.

3) Get your remaining skills up to level 4, particularly Gunnery. At Gunnery 4, it's safe to start working SRMs into your builds.
3a) If you have an SRM Bomber, you'll probably want to push the pilot to Gunnery 6 as soon as you can.
3b) For anyone who's not running SRMs, focus Tactics until you hit the first Called Shot bonus.

4) After that, you have a decision to make:
- Option 4a) Push for your third skill. If this is something build-defining like Breaching Shot or Coolant Vent it's worth pushing for now. If it's something situationally useful like Ace Pilot you can push for it later. If it's Master Tactician? Bonus! This choice just became easy!
- Option 4b) Push Tactics up to level 9 for Called Shot Mastery. If you're pushing for Master Tactician you're already gold, it's just one more level. If you're not, getting this on at least one of your pilots is a huge boost to your ability to engage two enemy lances at once.

5) Push for Piloting 10. Pick up a few bonuses from Guts here or there if you're running autocannons or weapons with minimum range. Grab Gunnery 6 as you can, if you can jump from 4 to 6 in one go.

TLDR: Tactics may be the best skill, but Piloting is the best skill to max first.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I haven't really played the game since they overhauled the skills a lot. Good to see Bulwark is still the end-all for skills even after they nerfed it. Can you explain a bit why Piloting is so useful? I've seen how powerful called headshot snipers are in your LP, but it's a little harder to pin down why you want Piloting first. Also, aside from 'not putting Bulwark in your build', are there any other traps in the skill tree to avoid?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The only bad skill combos are Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock and Multitarget + Master Tactician. Of the two, Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock is worse, because Master Tactician is extremely good. Everything else is at least usable, Surefooted isn't much weaker than Bulwark until you start rolling assault 'Mechs, it just won't save your pilots from lucky headshots.

Piloting is very good to max, because Piloting 10 gives you:
- +3 hit defense (1.5 evasion pips for free)
- +6 melee hit defense (3 evasion pips when someone tries to punch you)
- +25% melee hit chance (just like gunnery, hit chance only raises every 2 levels despite what the tooltips say)

You'll also pick up +2 unsteady threshold at Piloting 9, which makes it harder for you to be knocked down and murdered by called shots. That's a real risk when you start fighting Archers and other endgame LRM boats.

Piloting lets you take silly risks, the only reason I was willing to risk those turrets was because Dekker's piloting 10. He would've been murdered if he hadn't been.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only bad skill combos are Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock and Multitarget + Master Tactician. Of the two, Breaching Shot + Sensor Lock is worse, because Master Tactician is extremely good. Everything else is at least usable, Surefooted isn't much weaker than Bulwark until you start rolling assault 'Mechs, it just won't save your pilots from lucky headshots.

Piloting is very good to max, because Piloting 10 gives you:
- +3 hit defense (1.5 evasion pips for free)
- +6 melee hit defense (3 evasion pips when someone tries to punch you)
- +25% melee hit chance (just like gunnery, hit chance only raises every 2 levels despite what the tooltips say)

You'll also pick up +2 unsteady threshold at Piloting 9, which makes it harder for you to be knocked down and murdered by called shots. That's a real risk when you start fighting Archers and other endgame LRM boats.

Piloting lets you take silly risks, the only reason I was willing to risk those turrets was because Dekker's piloting 10. He would've been murdered if he hadn't been.

PTN is not kidding about how lethal an archer can be

You can also do gimmicky things like boat 4 lrm 20s on a king crab

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The BTA 3062 mod has a periphery Urbie with a supercharger, masc or something, and a COIL. It's either going to kill you or it's going to kill itself lol

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone give me a rundown on the various modpacks and what they add/change? There's... a lot going on here, and all I know for sure is that I'm probably nowhere near good enough at this game to enjoy RogueTech.

Also if there's a mod that makes it so I at least get a turn of warning before reinforcements drop in and I suddenly have two Panthers, a Jenner, and a Firestarter up my rear end who all immediately get turns?

Edit: Or at least a cheat sheet on where reinforcements spawn on various maps.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This isn't really the thread to discuss the mega mod packs. I don't like any of them so I don't use them, but the HBS BattleTech megathread in games can give you a rundown.

As a general rule, your start location will usually be safe and can't spawn reinforcements. If you keep your back to your starting position, attackers generally can't spawn behind you (but will very likely spawn to your side).

You can generally guess where reinforcements are going to spawn if you find and follow the map edge. If there's a big open area on one side and not so much on the other, reinforcements are probably going to spawn in that big open area.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

As a general rule, your start location will usually be safe

In modded universe: 200 ton superheavy mech with superpilots with 20 stats and the red october say hello.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 26, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
And that's why I don't play the mega mods! :pseudo:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Excellent, thank you.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

SugarAddict posted:

In modded universe: 200 ton superheavy mech with superpilots with 20 stats and the red october say hello.

isn't this modding in general? you've beaten the base game and mastered it, now you need to make it more challenging for you and anyone below your level is just going to suffer

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
In large part, yeah. If the base game's totally a pushover and there's no combination of units it can throw at you to present a challenge, then it's time for new stuff. I actually wish some of the mods would lean further in to fielding customized actually good mechs, they do exist in BTA, but they're all generally very rare because they like to follow the usual tabletop thing of "This faction only fields these units" (Insert equipment table lists from the 90s) and relegates the newer/fun stuff to rare sightings.

Instead they all rely on mission control and simply amping up the number of units you face which turns the game in to a slog.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

The BTA 3062 mod has a periphery Urbie with a supercharger, masc or something, and a COIL. It's either going to kill you or it's going to kill itself lol

Yeah, the UM-R29 is, uh, something.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
....ECM on an Urby sort of makes a lot of sense (ambusher!), except for the in-game part where ECM can sort of make some stuff more noticeable via sound effects?

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Is there any way to make a Cicada or a Locust useful the way you've used the Spider in this campaign?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Servetus posted:

Is there any way to make a Cicada or a Locust useful the way you've used the Spider in this campaign?

Locust yes, Cicada no. The Cicada is utterly without value.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Indeed. The Cicada is literally a 40 ton Locust. Anything it can do, the Locust can do exactly as well, while being 20 tons lighter and acting in the initiative a phase earlier, with no loss in armor or weapons. The engine on the Cicada is just /that god drat big/ that it completely negates the advantage of being twice as heavy as the Locust.

Edit: To put this in perspective, in order for a Locust to reach the speed that it does, it needs a 160 rated engine that weighs 6 tons. For the Cicada to match the Locust's speed, its engine needs to be rated 320, which weighs /22 and a half tons/. The engine alone for a Cicada weighs more than an entire Locust, and the engine in a Battlemech is easily the most expensive piece of equipment on a Battlemech. So much so that the Cicada costs 3.7million C-Bills compared to the 1.5 of a Locust, and the Locust is also far far more common so spare parts are a breeze to get for the bloody thing.

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 26, 2021

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The write-up on Sarna for the Cicada is kinda hilarious in how it details the mech's history: Trying to compete with lighter scout mechs, the company having no real experience in building mechs, earning a positive reputation (that wasn't really earned). The fact it also had crappy heatsinks in the fluff is just icing on the cake.

I have mentioned it before, but I absolutely adore crappy mechs and this is no exception.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PoptartsNinja posted:

It looks pretty when blown up :shrug:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

The write-up on Sarna for the Cicada is kinda hilarious in how it details the mech's history: Trying to compete with lighter scout mechs, the company having no real experience in building mechs, earning a positive reputation (that wasn't really earned). The fact it also had crappy heatsinks in the fluff is just icing on the cake.

It gets even funnier once you realize the Cicada -3F is one of the best 'Mechs in tabletop. XL engines saved (or could have saved) a lot of the lovely 3025 designs. XL Dragons could have been really good if House Kurita had decided to put more guns on them instead of using the weight savings to make the engine even bigger.

That said, not even an XL engine can save the Charger. You need an XXL to make it efficient.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

Indeed. The Cicada is literally a 40 ton Locust. Anything it can do, the Locust can do exactly as well, while being 20 tons lighter and acting in the initiative a phase earlier, with no loss in armor or weapons. The engine on the Cicada is just /that god drat big/ that it completely negates the advantage of being twice as heavy as the Locust.

Edit: To put this in perspective, in order for a Locust to reach the speed that it does, it needs a 160 rated engine that weighs 6 tons. For the Cicada to match the Locust's speed, its engine needs to be rated 320, which weighs /22 and a half tons/. The engine alone for a Cicada weighs more than an entire Locust, and the engine in a Battlemech is easily the most expensive piece of equipment on a Battlemech. So much so that the Cicada costs 3.7million C-Bills compared to the 1.5 of a Locust, and the Locust is also far far more common so spare parts are a breeze to get for the bloody thing.

To put it in another perspective, the cicada's engine is bigger than the one you would put in an atlas or king crab, those use a 300 rated engine. like you could have stepped the cicada's engine down like one tier, to a 280 and it would probably work fine for a mech.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

That said, not even an XL engine can save the Charger. You need an XXL to make it efficient.

I like the -1A5 variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Technowolf posted:

I like the -1A5 variant.

They had to downgrade the engine for that model. It's like the difference between the Banshee 3S and all the others.

See also: the Hatamoto-Chi. The Hatamoto-Chi is just a Charger with a smaller engine and some Samurai-themed armor.