Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That’s amazing, they’ll just ignore the ~6 people less on board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

less fuel to burn on the flight to Vilnius

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

O'Leary called it state-sponsored hijacking on the other hand

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Strong calls of condemnation and a call for an international investigation so far. Sigh.

Poland would be in a position to do something here, but unfortunately it chose today to ignore the EU COJ's order to stop coal extraction on the Polish-Czech border, since the plant there was built witout sufficient cross-border consultations. Before they chose to ignore the EU ruling on some legal matters. Any call Morawiecki is now going to make regarding international law will be summarily laughed out.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Could various member nations order any airline registered in their country to stay out of Belarussian airspace for safety reasons? Effectively cutting Belarus from airline service.

That's already happening with some. AirBaltic is diverting flights around Belarus. Air France is not. Will have to see if this goes from a really stupid thing Luka did to an incredibly stupid thing.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm going to go ahead and guess that there will be zero repercussions

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Oh look, another Ryanair flight just entered Belarussian airspace

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Nitrox posted:

I'm going to go ahead and guess that there will be zero repercussions

Lithuania's just banned all incoming air traffic from Belarus or coming through Belarus effective tomorrow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mokotow posted:

Oh look, another Ryanair flight just entered Belarussian airspace

A little hosed up that there hasn't been enough of a reaction to make the above unthinkable for any airline, let alone Ryanair again. Idk how the EU can realistically pressure Lukshenko, but I expected some kind of response.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I mean Belarus kidnapped a passenger of theirs, for gently caress's sake

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
loving hell, it's getting dumber and dumber. So first today, there was another bomb threat. This time it was a Lufthansa flight from Minsk. No information so far about any arrests, the flight has left Minsk after a search. Could be a legitimate prank call inspired by yesterday's events or an attempt to show that, look, this stuff happens all the time, ha-ha, we just got lucky with Pratasiewicz.

After that a press secretary for the department of aviation said that the Ryanair bomb threat came from Hamas. Sure, let's get Israel involved in the middle of a fragile ceasefire.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Paladinus posted:

loving hell, it's getting dumber and dumber. So first today, there was another bomb threat. This time it was a Lufthansa flight from Minsk. No information so far about any arrests, the flight has left Minsk after a search. Could be a legitimate prank call inspired by yesterday's events or an attempt to show that, look, this stuff happens all the time, ha-ha, we just got lucky with Pratasiewicz.

After that a press secretary for the department of aviation said that the Ryanair bomb threat came from Hamas. Sure, let's get Israel involved in the middle of a fragile ceasefire.

Hamas wanted to make lukashenko look bad but I can't explain why until I've drank another 6 bottles of vodka.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1396830824587223042

I have no words to describe this. LOL

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rinkles posted:

O'Leary & Ryanair wouldn't let something like that get in the way of making money. It'd cost slightly more money to fly around Belarusian airspace so hey, gotta take the risk.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Isn't Ryanair the company that wanted to charge to use the bathroom on flights?

If routing around Belarus costs them one liter of extra fuel, they'll keep flying through it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Lukash is just following Putler in breaking all possible rules because suddenly they realised that EU doesn't care at loving all. They can (and will) condemn super seriously all they want tho.
It's like two guys are walking around some big city beating people to death and police is following them, shaming and saying that they can't do this and should stop.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
So looks like the entire Latvian embassy got expelled just now, after the FM and the mayor of Riga jointly took down BY's red/green flag at the IIHF hockey championship venue and replaced it with the Pahonia.

hell yeah.

edit: https://twitter.com/tvrain/status/1396844848590819335

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Latvia's already expelled all Belarusian diplomats. I know it's easy to think nothing will come of it outside of token gestures, but for some reason I have that feeling that Lukashenko's got himself in more trouble than usual.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lukashenko is the only one who can save Israel from Hamas aggression.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Paying particular attention to Protasiewicz's girfriend, who was also taken in. She's a Russian national, and is not wanted in any capacity in Belarus, and the Russian embassy is apparently requesting to see her.

There was also a US national on board, which apparently open up the door for the US to be a side in this clusterfuck.

Also, go plucky lil Latvia!

And for our friends Seknr and Paladinus, you're awesome (because I can't really do anything else to help you)

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 24, 2021

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Well, that didn't take long - Protasiewicz is now reported to be in critical condition in a Minsk hospital due to cardiac issues. Mind this is very fresh and some people are saying it's fake to stress his family out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

gently caress i didn't realize he's just 26

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Mokotow posted:

Well, that didn't take long - Protasiewicz is now reported to be in critical condition in a Minsk hospital due to cardiac issues. Mind this is very fresh and some people are saying it's fake to stress his family out.

If I were hauled off a plane in a country where charges against me made me a candidate for a bullet in the back of my head I would have cardiac issues too.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mokotow posted:

This was initially reported by NEXTA who said they spoke to Roman's mother. According to an official statement, he's fine and wasn't hospitalised, though.

E: They've now released a video where Roman says he's fine and he's making a confession in organising riots. He does look fine, as much as one can be fine in this situation.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 24, 2021

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Actually, Hamas issued a statement denying any involvement.

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1396900282093686788?s=21

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 24, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Welp, results of the EU meeting are in. EU+UK will ban all Belorussian airlines in their airspace. Strong recommendation to all airlines to avoid Belorussian airspace from now on and there will be more sanctions on individual Belorussian kleptocrats.

It's not much, but I seriously don't know what else they could have done.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

oh no they arrested a neonazi

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Trash Ops posted:

oh no they arrested a neonazi

Do you have anything else to add? I haven't heard that this journalist is a neonazi, and nobody else seems to be saying it.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

check the rap sheet and postcount on that peep... epic poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

How are u posted:

Do you have anything else to add? I haven't heard that this journalist is a neonazi, and nobody else seems to be saying it.

You see, he participated in the 2014 Maidan in Ukraine, so he's a neonazi now.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

when you fight with the azov battalion yr a neonazi, its pretty simple lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Trash Ops posted:

At least not an actual Nazi thank god

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Trash Ops posted:

Полезный идиот.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Полезный идиот.

thats our boy roman for sure

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Apparently he was a war journalist in the Donbass working for the Belorussian euroradio, which Russian propaganda and their fronts for mush-brained westerners are now spreading as "HE'S A NAZI AND FOUGHT FOR AZOV"

With how this horseshit is disseminated in a year or two every single person alive will have been accused of being a nazi that fought for Azov

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Somaen posted:

Apparently he was a war journalist in the Donbass working for the Belorussian euroradio, which Russian propaganda and their fronts for mush-brained westerners are now spreading as "HE'S A NAZI AND FOUGHT FOR AZOV"

With how this horseshit is disseminated in a year or two every single person alive will have been accused of being a nazi that fought for Azov

Oh so just more Russian propaganda. Thank you!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

How are u posted:

Oh so just more Russian propaganda. Thank you!

Yeah, if you were following twitter you could see in real-time how first Kremlin bots were flooding Russian-language replies related to the topic with either "but but MORALES PLANE SNOWDEN 2013" and then the "NEONAZI AZOV MAIDAN"

After this the narrative spread to the english-speaking part through the usual propaganda outlets like Sputnik, the Grayzone (Ben Norton) and the surrounding disinfo ecosystem, they are just trying to flood the debate with poo poo. (Which is notable, the Kremlin is helping out Belarus here)

The "source" is an anonymous (pro-Lukashenko) telegram channel, which got picked up by Russian outlets, which got picked up by one Ukrainian outlet, which was used as a source link on wikipedia

https://mobile.twitter.com/SpaghettiKozak/status/1396920095302164481
https://mobile.twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/1396896211311939585

Somaen fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 24, 2021

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
well I think we can all agree that NOBODY is as much as a nazi as PUTLER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I find 'Putin the Poisoner' has a more satisfying and scornful ring to it, personally.