Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cage vs Sydal 3 2.78%
Ogogo vs Gunn 2 1.85%
Deeb vs Velvet 74 68.52%
Bucks vs Blonds 21 19.44%
Wild Things vs Acclaimed 8 7.41%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Already 90% there.

Sometimes people are good.

I know that billionaires are not my friend but TK's a hell of a lot better than most, he covered 2/3rds of it all by himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rarity posted:

I know that billionaires are not my friend but TK's a hell of a lot better than most, he covered 2/3rds of it all by himself

Tony used to post on DVDVR, and is probably keenly aware of the net's opinion of Vince McMahon. So it's certainly possible this is performative, but I'll take that over Vince's brand of management.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/aewontnt/status/1396934027475447808?s=21

lmao poor Bowens

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I’m kinda underwhelmed by the DoN card tbh, but I’m hoping it’s because they’re finally learning to underpromise and over deliver. I don’t think it’s a bad card by any means and many of these have the right people in them to make them very good, but nothing jumps out to me as “wow that’s gonna be amazing” like Mox vs Omega or Young Bucks vs FTR. Then again, I was completely uninterested in Young Bucks vs Jericho and MJF and that ended up being one of the better matches at Revolution

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I’m kinda underwhelmed by the DoN card tbh, but I’m hoping it’s because they’re finally learning to underpromise and over deliver. I don’t think it’s a bad card by any means and many of these have the right people in them to make them very good, but nothing jumps out to me as “wow that’s gonna be amazing” like Mox vs Omega or Young Bucks vs FTR. Then again, I was completely uninterested in Young Bucks vs Jericho and MJF and that ended up being one of the better matches at Revolution

If Archer vs Miro doesn't get you going then you're dead inside

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

StarkRavingMad posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/xsjr9-help-us-battle-leukemia

Cezar Bononi with a Go Fund Me to help pay for his wife's cancer treatments. Trying to raise 15k and almost there. I like looking at these because it's heartwarming to see what wrestlers donated :unsmith:

Right now there's Jon Cruz on there for $100, Pretty Peter on for $200, Nemeth on for $100, Lance Archer for $300, Shane Veryzer (Slapjack) for $100, Colt Cabana for $250, Samantha De Martin (Indi Hartwell) for $100, Brennan Williams (Mace) on there for $100, Evil Uno $100, Marvez with $50, Alex Abrahantes with $100. Cody donated $1000. Tony Khan appears to have donated $5000 twice for a total of ten grand.

There are also a number of anonymous $100 and $250 donations that could have been anyone who just didn't want any spotlight.

Of course Honk goes by "RyRy NemNem"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm concerned because I have all of the same beach gear Nick Jackson does.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

IcePhoenix posted:

That and Shida vs Britt are what I’m looking forward to the most

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grem posted:

I'm concerned because I have all of the same beach gear Nick Jackson does.

It means you're super cool.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

With this week's Dynamite being on Friday, ITV4 aren't showing it until Monday next week - after Double or Nothing, which seems a bit pointless.

It's meant I've finally stopped holding out and have got AEW Plus. gently caress me, it's like night and day. The broadcast resolution isn't utter shite and being able to watch stuff during the ad breaks is great.

I'm sorry I didn't listen to you all sooner and instead put up with a substandard quality just to save like £4 a month. Please forgive me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There are no good billionaires, but TK is making a real honest shot at being the first.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
TK's parents raised him right

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

SonicRulez posted:

There are no good billionaires, but TK is making a real honest shot at being the first.

No good billionaires but Illinois somehow managed to elect a billionaire who is actually a good Governor, so there are definitely shades of not good.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

IcePhoenix posted:

seriously

e: Also that Matt Jackson promo at the end of BTE was really good

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

rantmo posted:

No good billionaires but Illinois somehow managed to elect a billionaire who is actually a good Governor, so there are definitely shades of not good.

As someone who lives in Southern Illinois, it is amazing how the wealthy people worshipping chuds now suddenly think wealthy people suck.

This will revert back to normal worshipping when some chud billionaire becomes governor again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The build for a lot of stuff has been very low-key and kinda rushed. I dunno how much of this you can blame on THE DUD and how much of it, maybe is due to the shorter time between PPVs, but they did a pretty inelegant job disentangling Moxley from Omega and putting him over to the Young Bucks. For a pretty large chunk of this cycle, the whole Mox/King vs. Elite feud feud felt like it was leading to Mox vs. Omega 3 (4? whatever.) or Kingston vs. Omega. And Hangman spent most of the build as number 1 contender and they didn't start him feuding with Team Taz for way too long, and then they did SCU vs. Young Bucks on TV, quickly rushed Moxley and Kingston to the top of the tag rankings, hastily had Hangman get power bombed down to 5, abruptly announced an eliminator between Orange and PAC....

It all makes sense, it just feels inelegant and rushed.

Having said that, I personally am still excited for everything because everybody in this company is over with me.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have no strong feelings about who gets to do this, but I would like to see the obvious angle that's just waiting to be done, where someone actively wants to join Team Taz, and wears orange, and tries to suck up to Taz. And obviously is told no and gets the poo poo kicked out of him.

It feels like all the pieces have been laid out very well over the entire lifespan of Taz's time in AEW for that to happen.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that sounds like a good spot for christian cage

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
And just to press this point, I think they have low-key done a poor job with Hangman this cycle. I know that to a certain degree, he has to spin his wheels because you can't have him challenge Omega until it's time for him to win, but you have to keep him strong anyway, but he spent most of this cycle just....havin' matches with guys with no story, no stakes and no tension and then all of a sudden, he has a match with Brian Cage on a one week build. I loved the match with Cage and the way it set up the rematch, but it should've been built up more strongly and probably happened a little earlier.

Hangman just feels like a bit of a non-entity right now. And I know they can easily heat him up when it is time to fight Omega because there's so much backstory there, but, yeesh. They really need to be more aggressive with keeping him in compelling stories going forward or time's gonna come for him to challenge Omega and he's not gonna be as over as he should be.

rotinaj posted:

I have no strong feelings about who gets to do this, but I would like to see the obvious angle that's just waiting to be done, where someone actively wants to join Team Taz, and wears orange, and tries to suck up to Taz. And obviously is told no and gets the poo poo kicked out of him.

It feels like all the pieces have been laid out very well over the entire lifespan of Taz's time in AEW for that to happen.

Fuego wears red, that's close enough to orange.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MJeff posted:

And just to press this point, I think they have low-key done a poor job with Hangman this cycle. I know that to a certain degree, he has to spin his wheels because you can't have him challenge Omega until it's time for him to win, but you have to keep him strong anyway, but he spent most of this cycle just....havin' matches with guys with no story, no stakes and no tension and then all of a sudden, he has a match with Brian Cage on a one week build. I loved the match with Cage and the way it set up the rematch, but it should've been built up more strongly and probably happened a little earlier.

Hangman just feels like a bit of a non-entity right now. And I know they can easily heat him up when it is time to fight Omega because there's so much backstory there, but, yeesh. They really need to be more aggressive with keeping him in compelling stories going forward or time's gonna come for him to challenge Omega and he's not gonna be as over as he should be.

Fuego wears red, that's close enough to orange.

Isn't kind of the point of the ranking system to give these "stakes-less matches" stakes?

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

My hope is Hangman gets a strong win over Cage this weekend and then marches towards taking the title at All Out.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Isn't kind of the point of the ranking system to give these "stakes-less matches" stakes?

Which is fine most of the time but I think in the case of Hangman, the guy who is probably the next champion, he needs some more meat on the bone.

I guess, thinking about it, Moxley and Kenny rose to the title by just winning a bunch of matches but I feel like there was a lot more juicy character stuff in those. Moxley fighting Darby and Janela was awesome and Kenny gradually turning heel throughout the tournament foreshadowed him going full rear end in a top hat against Mox.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

GCW just announced two shows Fri/Sat of Labor Day in Chicago...

... Labor Day in Chicago, you say???

(all out returns home?)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hangman taking a backseat for a bit right now is fine, because I don’t think he’s taking the championship off of Omega anytime soon. At minimum he has all summer to heat up, and probably even longer than that.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Christian’s tights had orange detailing on it this week heyoooo

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I got the impression from the story presented that Hangman is intentionally NOT taking his shot against Omega despite being high up in the rankings, which fits his characterization. Because he took so long, Taz and Cage jumped him and managed to polevault themselves in a better position and derailed his own efforts, but thanks to the Dark Order being a positive companionship, he took the loss a lot better than his previous ones and immediately fires back on the guys who screwed him in a match.

Suffice to say, I’m actually really interested in the Hangman angle rn precisely because they’ve taken their time with it and slowly gotten Hangman out of being a total drunken wreck.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Hangman has hit rock bottom or he has to kick the booze at least once on camera and acknowledge that sub plot before moving on to the redemption arc in earnest

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Hangman loses on Sunday, pours the beer out. Move forward to All Out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think hangman's going to continue ducking kenny until the dude directly challenges him, maybe after the next time he hits rank 1

it's really one of those long-term stories that you don't have to burn quickly

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think they need to tease Mox vs. Omega again and have Hangman beating Mox for the #1 contendership.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

please get all your hangman/omega fantasy booking out of your systems now before orange cassidy wins the title and none of it is valid anymore

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they're going to fight over the tbs belt. turn based strategy. they're going to be god awful but at least kenny has played the fort condor mini-game in ff7

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

John Dudebro posted:

please get all your hangman/omega fantasy booking out of your systems now before orange cassidy wins the title and none of it is valid anymore

:sigh:

Fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

John Dudebro posted:

please get all your hangman/omega fantasy booking out of your systems now before orange cassidy Christian Cage wins the title and none of it is valid anymore

Will do.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Ethan Page is now over with me just because it's nice to see a quality crucifix powerbomb in 2021

can't wait to see him yeet Darby out of the ring through a table or something

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Cavauro posted:

they're going to fight over the tbs belt. turn based strategy. they're going to be god awful but at least kenny has played the fort condor mini-game in ff7

I think I speak for everyone in my generation when I say gently caress that mini game let me do it myself.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I didn't play FF7 but Triple Triad ruled.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cavauro posted:

the fort condor mini-game in ff7

was this in the original psx version? i dont remember it at all

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

smarxist posted:

Ethan Page is now over with me just because it's nice to see a quality crucifix powerbomb in 2021

can't wait to see him yeet Darby out of the ring through a table or something

if you're willing to go watch some old matches ethan has a long history of yeeting darby

https://twitter.com/ClassicChhun/status/741484856601874432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

flatluigi posted:

if you're willing to go watch some old matches ethan has a long history of yeeting darby

https://twitter.com/ClassicChhun/status/741484856601874432

jesus