Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Random small companies put licensed stuff on their stuff all the time. Around here there’s a pool company that plasters Mickey Mouse on their trucks and their company logo. I doubt they are owned by Disney.

The actual rights holders don’t go after them because they don’t know about it and they are too small to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Overbite posted:

Random small companies put licensed stuff on their stuff all the time. Around here there’s a pool company that plasters Mickey Mouse on their trucks and their company logo. I doubt they are owned by Disney.

The actual rights holders don’t go after them because they don’t know about it and they are too small to bother.

I don’t think that second part is true - I believe you have to fight any unauthorized use you know about to keep the trademark.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Correct, otherwise the bigger fish will use "you let them use it, why not us?" against you in court when there's a lot more money on the line. Which is where you get these seemingly deeply unfair situations where a multibillion dollar video game company squashes a mod team out of existence

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

you're not a True Retro FPS Master until you've beaten heretic e4m1 on black plague and gotten 100% kills

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Serephina posted:

Did they... just straight up steal that logo, and nobody's around anymore to contest it? **After a quick google, the software name still exists as a zombie corporate acquisition, so I guess it's remarkable that the tow company hasn't been dob'd in yet somehow.

lol they even use it on their trucks. i'm surprised activison blizzard hasn't sued them

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New Half-Life 2 mod in development called Arrowhead. Devs are heavily inspired by Stephen King's The Mist, which of course was the initial inspiration Valve had for Half-Life 1.

https://medium.com/@thetaxcollectorman/arrowhead-something-stirs-in-the-clouds-a360354e1a41

https://twitter.com/ArrowheadDev

Not much shown right now but the premise is intriguing for sure.

....Buuuut it could end up like every other ambitious Half-Life mod and never see the light of day. v:shobon:v

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Flannelette posted:

Gimble lock?

There's a tow company in Grafton that get's a nerd chuckle every time I drove passed it.

Weedle posted:

lol they even use it on their trucks. i'm surprised activison blizzard hasn't sued them

Man, like why Raven? Maybe they really liked the games they made. Maybe they're ex-Raven :tinfoil:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

I haven't bought it because Early Access, but I really like the look of Viscerafest's gameplay but dislike the look of its...look.

The sprites seem very flat, with little shading, and the colour choices seem like something out of a VGA palette.

Not a fan either.

Icarus is saying it plays like Doom Eternal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJn-9Pd31sg

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

They established long before the game company and I guess when they were updating the person doing the branding just typed "raven logo" into google images.
Or :tinfoil:
Before forming a software company someone went on a family holiday through Grafton.

Also on the topic of 90s companies eaten by Activision to make CoD dlc they sent Toy's for Bob to the Cod salt mines recently that' the StarControl guy.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 25, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's a laser tag place in my suburb that has a giant PS1 Lara Croft on the side of the building and I guarantee you Square Enix didn't sign off on it. Nobody cares.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Viscerafest looks cool but I’ll wait until it’s a finished product before giving it a try.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Not much interest in playing Viscerafest but the player character is awesome. Need more completely unhinged lunatic women in games.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i like what ive played of the early access but i don't think theyve quite gotten the balance right yet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm glad Elden Ring has trained me on waiting for New Blood's stuff because I want Gloomwood and Fallen Aces bad.

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1397188628951060481?s=20

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
More Civvie doing More Duke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYqDq9nGIg

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/MaryLaufeyson/status/1397103546647130112

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

raven still has a surprising amount of their original staff working there. its not like a bioware where its just a hollow shell

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

juggalo baby coffin posted:

raven still has a surprising amount of their original staff working there. its not like a bioware where its just a hollow shell

Instead of a big hollow shell it's a whole lot of hollow shells :smith:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Trying to figure out a way to play Descent on my ShieldTV and maybe my Kindle Fire. There's a good desktop source port of it, but no Android version. Other than learn how to make software so I can make my own Android port, is there a way to run Descent on Android I haven't thought of? I've considered doing DOSBox.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doom got ported to the SA forums, and Armitage is doing a live playthrough with audience participation.

I'm sure most of you have already seen this, but if not, enjoy. So far, they've beaten GBS, BYOB, FYAD, and a few others. Plus, Doom guy's been modded into Duke (currently) and a Chex.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Doom got ported to the SA forums, and Armitage is doing a live playthrough with audience participation.

I'm sure most of you have already seen this, but if not, enjoy. So far, they've beaten GBS, BYOB, FYAD, and a few others. Plus, Doom guy's been modded into Duke (currently) and a Chex.

lmao i cant believe the humorless dickheads in fyad probated armitage

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

lmao i cant believe the humorless dickheads in fyad probated armitage

Wow :wtc:

Man, he had god mode on and everything but the secret FYAD base did not care. :rip:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

and imp zone gassed his thread there too

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
how dare you assume to suggest that someone such as i ever read gbs, you filthy peasant

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first map of Alien World Tour's final arena is really good and why I wanted to play Duke again and then oh, right, incomplete package randy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Why is Alien World Tour messed up on source ports?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why is Alien World Tour messed up on source ports?

Because BUILD.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

probably the cursed randy port has some extra code in it that regular build doesnt

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/3DRealms/status/1397562416800559106

Graven is out on early access at 10AM PT/1AM ET.

v:geno:v

I didn't like the demo and 3D Realms can eat it, so.

Gloomwood when??

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

probably the cursed randy port has some extra code in it that regular build doesnt
Yeah, there's some CON commands in World Tour for handling the new monsters and director's commentary stuff, as well as some stuff relating to the new graphical features. These were never opensourced like the rest of the game, so it's taken source ports a minute to figure them out and care enough to implement them.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I thought the graven demo was excellent and it has some real quake mapping talent behind it. A very pleasant surprise for sure.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Going back to this:

catlord posted:

The firemace is such a weird weapon. I don't understand it, really. I mean, it's useable, you can kill stuff with it, but everything about it is bizarre. Is there some sort of post-mortem or something on Heretic and its development? That could be really interesting, I'd love to hear them explain why they made some design decisions.
Someone on Civvie's Patron discord claimed to have asked a friend who works at Raven about it (so grain of salt etc.). Long story short, it was created primarily with Deathmatch in mind, since when you power it up with the Tome it lets you kill people using the invulnerability ring powerup. They put it in single player too, because they thought it was cool. Apparently they didn't want to do a traditional BFG-style superweapon because the Tome of Power effects kind of took that role.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Going back to this:
Someone on Civvie's Patron discord claimed to have asked a friend who works at Raven about it (so grain of salt etc.). Long story short, it was created primarily with Deathmatch in mind, since when you power it up with the Tome it lets you kill people using the invulnerability ring powerup. They put it in single player too, because they thought it was cool. Apparently they didn't want to do a traditional BFG-style superweapon because the Tome of Power effects kind of took that role.

Huh. That makes sense. I didn't know it could break an invincibility powerup, that's something that'd only ever come up in multiplayer, but that's wild.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hi i was told this is the place to discuss the half life, doom, and other game mods, is that correct

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

GManLives (not a favorite of this sub) did a video revisiting the original Shadow Warrior. So yeah, that's a thing. (Also, if you can get past the.... well.... all of it all.... Wanton Destruction is probably the strongest level pack in the build engine)

Shame that he hasn't learned how to tamp down his neckbeard-ness at least a little bit. Zero Punctuation still leans in that direction occasionally, but its clear that Yahtzee is quite aware of where those limits are.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

Narcissus1916 posted:

Shame that he hasn't learned how to tamp down his neckbeard-ness at least a little bit. Zero Punctuation still leans in that direction occasionally, but its clear that Yahtzee is quite aware of where those limits are.

The your mom jokes are incredibly stupid, but he does make a point every once in awhile.

Didn't realize Graven is releasing later today. I loved the demo, really excited to dig my heels into it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

hi i was told this is the place to discuss the half life, doom, and other game mods, is that correct

It is! Hello!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Mornin Mr Freeman

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Bought Graven. 3d Realms aside, some of my favourite community members are working on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

OMGVBFLOL posted:

You'll just have to wait until after the test. :colbert: