Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Star posted:

Think it was called East vs West or something but I don't remember why they cancelled it in the end.

It was a cold war game touting its ship designer.

Enough said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Star posted:

Think it was called East vs West or something but I don't remember why they cancelled it in the end.

too many straits

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Panzeh posted:

It was a cold war game touting its ship designer.

Enough said.

An excessive and largely pointless effort devoted to detailing ship designs is very in keeping with the Cold War though.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

in all seriousness east vs west was simply never going to be a satisfactory simulation of the time period because it was just a HoI mod at heart. good for milhist nerds that have spent 1000 hours thinking about the fulda gap, not so great for everyone else

vicky 3 might be a pretty good base for a cold war mod with all of its diplomatic features and industrialization/infrastructure stuff

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hadn't even thought about the idea of someone making a decent cold war mod for V3, that would be extremely good

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was cancelled for being vastly over schedule with little to show for it. All the DDs were poo poo like straits and the ship designer instead of the base game mechanics that would make it fun. Also paradox forumites were allowed to add their führsonas in as ministers. Half of Europe would’ve been run by cosplaying danish teenagers and the majority of both Germanies’ cabinets would be members of monarchist parties in pickelhauben

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was cancelled for being vastly over schedule with little to show for it. All the DDs were poo poo like straits and the ship designer instead of the base game mechanics that would make it fun. Also paradox forumites were allowed to add their führsonas in as ministers. Half of Europe would’ve been run by cosplaying danish teenagers and the majority of both Germanies’ cabinets would be members of monarchist parties in pickelhauben

I never actually looked, look at all the content in this dev diary!
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/east-vs-west-developer-diary-10-strait-talk.756154/

I get “straits are changing so the suez crisis can be a thing” but then they pad by listing every strait on the map? That was the second to last dev diary, the last one was a bit about AI and lua scripting. 2 weeks later the game was cancelled.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/east-vs-west-developer-diary-10-strait-talk.756154/

I get “straits are changing so the suez crisis can be a thing” but then they pad by listing every strait on the map? That was the second to last dev diary, the last one was a bit about AI and lua scripting. 2 weeks later the game was cancelled.

the seventh page of that thread is people going "hey where's the new dev diary, wasn't it supposed to be weekly?" and then all threads were locked lol

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
ACTUALLY I think you'll find that EvW was canceled because Paradox was afraid of it competing with and outperforming the upcoming HoI4. :colbert:

Or at least that's what a lot of salty fans back then tried to argue. I remember there was one guy insisting that the game being overbudget couldn't possibly be an issue because the devs were working on a mod-based development system with free contributors which meant they could program for free and finish things up eventually as long as Paradox allowed them to, so Paradox pulling the cord was clearly part of an evil plot.

Also nevermind that the game was nearing HoI4's release time only because it was badly behind schedule.

This all happened shortly after Magna Mundi went under so there was a pretty fair population of angry conspiracy theorists out there at the time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I think I vaguely remember someone modding the leaked version to make it playable without too many crashes etc but it being pretty much just HoI.
E: And yeah lol I never realized at the time that the strait DD was just "aw poo poo we haven't done any work, time to pad this out" with all the straits listed.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tomn posted:

This all happened shortly after Magna Mundi went under so there was a pretty fair population of angry conspiracy theorists out there at the time.

Remember when Ubik said he now owned EU3 because ______

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Remember when Ubik said he now owned EU3 because ______

he had johan attacked by PIRATES! who stole the rights for him

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am weirdly euphoric about the news about vicky3

sincerely hope for it to be at least somewhat inscrutable as a homage to the pure beauty of vicky2

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1396856316631650306?s=19

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

:allears:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Wiz is posting about this in the V3 thread right now, too.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Cease to Hope posted:

Wiz is posting about this in the V3 thread right now, too.

Link to the thread?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mokotow posted:

I want a Paradox cold war game. Am I remembering correctly some crazy rear end modder starting a dev studio and working on something like that before PDX pulled the plug?

Now I'm wanting a post-cold war game, where you have to manage a bloated military budget and make sure that all your defense contractors and representatives are happy so you just keep building main battle tanks and carriers, even though that's not what's needed.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

trapped mouse posted:

Link to the thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968353

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Thanks!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

cant believe paradox is investing in a tank designer no one wants instead of creating a vicky 3 expansion with a political party designer EVERYONE wants

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Beamed posted:

cant believe paradox is investing in a tank designer no one wants instead of creating a vicky 3 expansion with a political party designer EVERYONE wants

What we're all waiting for is the factory designer tetris minigame.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I kinda would've preferred it if the tank designer was a bit more of a black box, like "you" or rather you controlling the "army" makes orders from the military-industrial complex to generate designs according to broad specifications and then you go through trials like the siege tick timer mechanics for the Stellaris archeology digs with success/failure chances modified by the skills of your design companies/individuals. You could retrofit it for Vicky for battleship and gun designs too.

The more times you go through design trials the better your designs get, but there's a chance it takes longer and is more expensive then you were thinking/expecting or there's various flaws you don't want but need to accept for now but can be ironed out after the DLC production begins.

Instead of players managing a bunch of sliders and min-maxing the design that everyone just reads a guide and uses the community crowdsourced "best" design; its a semi-autonomous system whose successes/failures depend more on your country and how you have set things up on a macro level; but also lets the developers try to model some of the strengths and weaknesses of the US/Germany/USSR procurement systems with modifiers. For example perhaps the USSR is better at making designs that can be iterated over without affecting mass production much; but german designs eat a higher penalty to production gearing but more variants are cheaper and can respond to a wider degree of circumstances more easily.

So the national level macro stuff more easily guides to certain outcomes but there's a degree of quasi-randomness to the actual designs based off of the process of natural selection of the battlefield.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Beamed posted:

I think we all agree that the tank designer was a huge mistake for EU4.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
Tank designer? Meh.

Tankie designer? Now we're talking.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Remember when I was asking you all about memorable megacampaigns? There was a reason for that: https://twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Thanks for helping with the research. And for the many years of great LPs.

Edit: Actual link is https://twitch.tv/videos/1032428222

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 25, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ah, yeah, of course. Paradox's Twitch page. Makes perfect sense.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Hellioning posted:

Ah, yeah, of course. Paradox's Twitch page. Makes perfect sense.

Ugh, I'm terrible at copy + paste apparently: https://twitch.tv/videos/1032428222

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

hobbesmaster posted:

"We’ve aimed at including straits worldwide on a previously unseen scale!"

I do love the idea of a Cold War where the Foveaux Strait in New Zealand somehow becomes a key flashpoint.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

idhrendur posted:

Ugh, I'm terrible at copy + paste apparently: https://twitch.tv/videos/1032428222

Sweet and cool.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
WW2 was the wild west of Tank Design so there should be a mechanic where you can get stuck with a complete dogshit tank design that you know is bad but your factories are tooled to make it and a bad tank is better than no tank.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Sadly the tech trees stop that from happening. I'd rather have a much more opaque system of design tenders, specs, prototyping and testing. Skip the testing if you're in a hurry or if it's too expensive. Find out that your torpedoes are ineffective and your tanks are breaking down. The tech tree system makes the war seem like a steady and linear progression.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I have an extra key of Imperator I got from a bundle. First person to PM me gets it.

Edit: Taken

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 27, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Acute Grill posted:

WW2 was the wild west of Tank Design so there should be a mechanic where you can get stuck with a complete dogshit tank design that you know is bad but your factories are tooled to make it and a bad tank is better than no tank.

Yeah I would be interested to see a system where the weapons systems that were historically dominant (eventually) aren't necessarily the best option every game, so that the player can't just focus on the same stuff every game.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Acute Grill posted:

Shadow Empire does this very well. You devote research points to a council that designs your vehicles. You tell the council roughly what you want (medium tank, fighter, etc) and they come back with their best shot. Sometimes it's great or good enough and you put it into production, or it's dogshit and you send them back to the drawing board. It's cheaper to build on an existing model than to start over so if something is close or meh you can have them refine it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I would be interested to see a system where the weapons systems that were historically dominant (eventually) aren't necessarily the best option every game, so that the player can't just focus on the same stuff every game.

I think it was Rule the Waves that did something like this, where there was a randomized tech option so that certain things (like torpedos, various types of guns, and so on) would get randomized bonuses or penalties that wouldn't be clear until testing. The idea was that you couldn't jump ahead by knowing ahead of time what was historical, and instead could get an alt history where, say, the best possible design was a lot of fast firing guns, or massive torpedo broadsides like the Japanese tried on certain cruisers.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Acute Grill posted:

WW2 was the wild west of Tank Design

WW1 Russia would like a word.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Acute Grill posted:

And if you're Germany, you can receive a poo poo rank design, sat that it's poo poo and you don't want anything to do with it but it turns out 2k are already in production.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vichan posted:

That was the Wild East of tank design tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Vichan posted:

Yeah, I guess WW1/Interwar would be more accurate, aside from the Nazi-Soviet Heavy Tank Escalation, the war had us find out what didn't work and all trend toward modern tank design.

I still want some absolutely stupid poo poo on the field in '39 though.