Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Snowy posted:

So is it then conventional wisdom to generally avoid the 4-letter acronym kits? That seems to cover so many of them, at least it might help narrow it down I guess.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The HGs with four letters are the good ones. There are older HGUCs that have aged poorly but broadly speaking, 4 letters starting with HG are better than 1/144 HGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Top priority in selecting a kit is whether you think it looks cool

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I finished my first big kitbash/repaint thing!

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1396529416369491975

My next paintjob will hopefully be a bit less messy looking, but I'm still really proud of the candycoat look on the red armor parts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Argas posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. The HGs with four letters are the good ones. There are older HGUCs that have aged poorly but broadly speaking, 4 letters starting with HG are better than 1/144 HGs.

Most kits made after 2012 are really good and solid but there are always stinkers here and there. Before that things are more hit and miss but even some 2006 kits are good.

Few things are quite as bad as the Tristan kit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 24, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sea Lily posted:

I finished my first big kitbash/repaint thing!

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1396529416369491975

My next paintjob will hopefully be a bit less messy looking, but I'm still really proud of the candycoat look on the red armor parts.

Nice!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPNOTTeTcoY

Entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LUIcjZvcSI

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Generally, what is the purpose of making some of these super cool, highly detailed environmental dioramas I see on instagram (of like a Zaku fighting an RX-79 in some trees as an example). Is it just kind of a subset of the hobby for people who really enjoy the minutiae, or do less talented people like actually buy these things from the dudes who make them?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It looks cool

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gin_Rummy posted:

Generally, what is the purpose of making some of these super cool, highly detailed environmental dioramas I see on instagram (of like a Zaku fighting an RX-79 in some trees as an example). Is it just kind of a subset of the hobby for people who really enjoy the minutiae, or do less talented people like actually buy these things from the dudes who make them?

It's for the same reason you build a robot model in the first place; you enjoy doing it. Making a diorama for a robot is some times just an extension of building the model. You add weathering to make it looks like the robot has seen action, why not go a step further and put it on the battlefield? Or in a field, suggesting that the war is over and the robot has been abandoned.

I actually just saw an example of that on Twitter. Consider the Mechatrowego. It's a functional looking little hobby robot that you can imagine in a domestic scene.

So why not just go ahead and make the domestic scene.

https://twitter.com/arakichi1969/status/1396116638483681280?s=20

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Are you actually asking why people spend time to make their model robots look nice, in this, the robot model thread?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Droyer posted:

Are you actually asking why people spend time to make their model robots look nice, in this, the robot model thread?

Yes, though mainly because I think the diorama and weathering stuff is something I would eventually want to move towards, but my wallet and limited shelf space are giving me anxious looks. I guess what I am really wondering is will I have to eventually trash some of my creations to make room for new ones or are there people out there who would actually want them if it came to that?

Like personally, I don't think I would want someone else's diorama, just as I wouldn't want a pre-made gunpla kit on my shelves.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There are people out there who'll commission known builders to build and paint a kit, then send it to them. It just means they have money to pay someone else to do it and for whatever reason (time, equipment, etc.), don't do it themselves. It is probably a bit harder to sell an old diorama of yours but not impossibly so. It's just the standard issue of exposure on the internet.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Kind of tangential to my previous question... I want to grab a couple of cheap guinea pig sets that I can use as a test bed for custom painting, water slide placement (before trying it on my RX-78), weathering, etc. I think my local Hobby Lobby has had lots of HG Jestas and/or HG Wing Zero customs, but I am not sure if those have water slides... can anyone verify or point me towards a cheap HG that might fit my needs here?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gin_Rummy posted:

Kind of tangential to my previous question... I want to grab a couple of cheap guinea pig sets that I can use as a test bed for custom painting, water slide placement (before trying it on my RX-78), weathering, etc. I think my local Hobby Lobby has had lots of HG Jestas and/or HG Wing Zero customs, but I am not sure if those have water slides... can anyone verify or point me towards a cheap HG that might fit my needs here?

Maybe try some of the 30MM part or armor sets, if not a 30MM kit in full if you want a full robot to paint? Same plastic, and much cheaper to test on.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gin_Rummy posted:

It's pretty rare for an HG kit to come with waterslides (only one I can think of offhand is the Mobile Doll May for the eyes). You can buy sheets of waterslide decals made by Bandai or third parties though.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

wdarkk posted:

It's pretty rare for an HG kit to come with waterslides (only one I can think of offhand is the Mobile Doll May for the eyes). You can buy sheets of waterslide decals made by Bandai or third parties though.

Just to double check... the Origin HG RX-78 has waterslides, right? I am pretty sure that is what this additional sheet of non-sticker/sticker-like things is, but I honestly am not positive on that.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maybe try some of the 30MM part or armor sets, if not a 30MM kit in full if you want a full robot to paint? Same plastic, and much cheaper to test on.

Hobby Lobby has 40% off kits, so honestly I don't mind just painting a full robot. I don't really care to keep either the Jesta or Wing Zero either, so it wouldn't matter if I were to gently caress it up.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The HG Origin RX-78-2 doesn't have waterslides, just decals. Waterslides are on a blue sheet, decals are on green ones.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Ah, ok, I didn't realize there was a difference. How are the decals applied then?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Just to double check... the Origin HG RX-78 has waterslides, right? I am pretty sure that is what this additional sheet of non-sticker/sticker-like things is, but I honestly am not positive on that.

No. Both of those sheets are stickers. The ones on the foil are just shiny. Green backing on a Bandai sheet is for stickers, blue is for waterslides.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Ah, ok, I didn't realize there was a difference. How are the decals applied then?

I just take them off with tweezers and apply them.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Well I'm loving dumb. I didn't see any easy place to peel them off at, so assumed they were water slides. Thanks for informing me, guys!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The HG Origin RX-78-2 doesn't have waterslides, just decals. Waterslides are on a blue sheet, decals are on green ones.

Huh, this is like the first time I’ve seen stickers referred to as decals. Usually decals and waterslides are synonymous.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
After working on the Haze'n Thley II-Rah I feel the need for a runner organizer. Who makes a good/cheap one?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

wdarkk posted:

After working on the Haze'n Thley II-Rah I feel the need for a runner organizer. Who makes a good/cheap one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CKS-BA51-Chrome-Victorian-Toast/dp/B002G6C2MA/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=toast+rack&qid=1621894685&sr=8-6

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Literally any crappy old folder organizer. You could even get a wall-mounted one if you felt fancy.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
There's a meta-commentary there on getting so into the hobby that you forget you don't need a specific DSPAIE or whatever that RAZER and SOFTER thing is to get stuff done.

I was trying to find ballast weights for the nose of an aircraft model since I've never done one before, and called a few hobby shops before realizing I could just use fishing tackle from Dick's or pennies or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fishing line sinkers are great anytime you need small weights.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zodack posted:

There's a meta-commentary there on getting so into the hobby that you forget you don't need a specific DSPAIE or whatever that RAZER and SOFTER thing is to get stuff done.

I was trying to find ballast weights for the nose of an aircraft model since I've never done one before, and called a few hobby shops before realizing I could just use fishing tackle from Dick's or pennies or something.

It's illegal in the UK to deface coins by sticking dioramas to or around them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Fishing line sinkers are great anytime you need small weights.

BBs are good too, especially since you can also put them in paint bottles to help stir them up.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

sassassin posted:

It's illegal in the UK to deface coins by sticking dioramas to or around them.

We were right to revolt against this tyranny.

Gripweed posted:

BBs are good too, especially since you can also put them in paint bottles to help stir them up.

Don't use BBs for this. They'll eventually rust and gently caress up your paint. Glass or hematite beads are the safe bet.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

5/6 complete. Also first blood sacrifice.

Balache404 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 25, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Balache404 posted:

5/6 complete. Also first blood sacrifice.

If you use imgur you won't have to contend with crap watermarks, just as an fyi.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you use imgur you won't have to contend with crap watermarks, just as an fyi.

Remedied.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

THEY'RE DOING IT!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

P-ban Leo-S

https://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000158892/

That back skirt and that head... HG Tallgeese soon??

e: fb

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Side Seven guy finally got back to me and did indeed update my address. I can't wait to not make those kits!

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

That Leo is beautiful

It can be fun to look at the P-Bandai lineups for other regions. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't done it before. We never did get the Final Battle RG Banshee, right?

Additional q, anyone heard back from Jojo's recently? I have the general gist of their situation, but I'm eager for any developments. I still have an order pending...

Ramie fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 25, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

catgirlgenius posted:

It can be fun to look at the P-Bandai lineups for other regions. I highly recommend it for anyone who hasn't done it before. We never did get the Final Battle RG Banshee, right?

That one happened before the US store came online and they haven't reprinted it, though if they do another run I'd expect it to come here.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

catgirlgenius posted:

That Leo is beautiful

Additional q, anyone heard back from Jojo's recently? I have the general gist of their situation, but I'm eager for any developments. I still have an order pending...

I had a Varguil order that came a few weeks ago that I originally ordered in January of 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The 30MM Effects parts and Scenic Base kits are pretty disappointing. The fact that they don't work together at all is surprising. I thought I could put the stand from the Effects parts on the base, but the hole and pegs are not compatible. So not only does the stand not work, if you want to have a little explosion on the ground you just have to put it on top of the base since it doesn't clip in in any way. That's true fort he rocks and dust swirls in the Scenic Base kit too, they don't clip in they can just be put on top of the base. And if you want to put the dust swirls in the back to suggest the robot is moving forward, too bad, they're only molded on one side. The stand in the Effects parts kit is surprisingly useless. It is strong enough to hold a little explosion effect up, and that's it. I tried to use it as a third leg so I could have the Portanova Water Type standing up, since that thing is unstable as gently caress, and it wasn't strong enough to do it.