Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qirex posted:

at least being animated they don't have to limit themselves to one cool action set piece per episode

they very clearly do though, the only decently animated parts of the show are the fights and even then there's obvious differences in quality between them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

if your star war or marvell thing colors just a little bit outside of the lines disney will absolutely take it away from you and give it to a trustworthy company hack

for star wars disney didnt have any lines at all

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shaggar posted:

for star wars disney didnt have any lines at all

they did, as evidenced by sacking the original RoS/Solo creative teams. they were just really poorly drawn

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Fool posted:

also why Adam west is the best Batman
Until Robert Pattinson's feverishly masturbating Batman takes his throne

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I would have liked invincible more if the gore wasn't quite so extreme and watchmen and the boys and jessica jones and legion and a dozen other "what if superheros were real and had really hosed up personal lives?" shows didn't already exist, at this point it just feels like one more on the pile, at least being animated they don't have to limit themselves to one cool action set piece per episode

eh, for most of the show it's less "superhero has a hosed up personal life" and more "superman is a violent rear end in a top hat". equally tired, though, even with the twist of seeing it from a naive perspective. it's not even a slow reveal: the audience learns it in the first episode, and invincible only learns it at the end (and not because he's oblivious, but because people are hiding the evidence from him). it's only a slow reveal to the mother

honestly what i found most interesting was that choice to clue the audience in immediately. i guess that choice means they get to show ultra-violence straight away, which i shouldn't discount. it's probably also like that in the source material. regardless, it's an interesting trade-off, because it means we get to see the father repeatedly be loving and supportive to his family (in a way) while knowing that he's really a murderer and having a pretty good idea about why; but we don't get to really experience that slow recognition, excuse-making, etc, that someone we thought we were supposed to sympathize with is actually quite evil

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Army of the Dead sucks. whoever earlier said this thing tanks 20 bullets was wildly underestimating. nothing made of meat is eating that much 5.57 and maintaining enough intact muscle to remain upright let alone lift its arms and poo poo

I doubt an elephant would be able to walk more than a few steps

e: it looks pretty though. so it’s on par with the last few Nolan movies

e2: oh poo poo it’s Kaneda. and Theo Rossi is so good at playing a piece of poo poo

indigi fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 25, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Fool posted:

he really is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

Army of the Dead sucks. whoever earlier said this thing tanks 20 bullets was wildly underestimating. nothing made of meat is eating that much 5.57 and maintaining enough intact muscle to remain upright let alone lift its arms and poo poo

well if you’re gonna go with that, you have to commit to it. they didn’t make it out of the opening credits before showing other zombies get completely torn to shreds by guns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ok this movie kind of rules actually. this dude is about to fist fight a zombie. I didn't realize it was this kind of movie at first because they tried to Explain Things when really, they shouldn't have

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im giving psycho goreman a spin

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

mystes
May 31, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im giving psycho goreman a spin
It's mean to do this while Smoka is probated.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i watched it and thought it was loving great yeah

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

im watching game of death cause i wanted to see just how bad they did at hiding that it's not bruce and boy did they barely try

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I would have liked invincible more if the gore wasn't quite so extreme and watchmen and the boys and jessica jones and legion and a dozen other "what if superheros were real and had really hosed up personal lives?" shows didn't already exist, at this point it just feels like one more on the pile, at least being animated they don't have to limit themselves to one cool action set piece per episode

true, i bounced on jj after a while and didn't even touch legion for the same reason. the gore being flashed back to was a bit much for me, but i'm also not s fan of crushing skulls GoT style. the kaiju battle at the end is more like it but i'm guessing the graphic scenes were from the comics and maybe(?) edgier at the time. comic shows and movies as kid material has gone hard in the opposite direction to be otherwise

The Fool posted:

the last adam west batman episode i saw was the riddler dropping film maker hints and all his scenes were shot with a gratuitous dutch angle. it was absolutely amazing commitment to a gag :allears:

indigi posted:

they very clearly do though, the only decently animated parts of the show are the fights and even then there's obvious differences in quality between them

in animation, that's called the inverted goku

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jessica jones was so fuckin bad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jessica Jones season 1 was objectively good and David Tenant was a very good villain

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah it was awful. the resolution of season 1 is jessica jones finally decides to kill the bad guy, not because he abused her and everyone he comes across, but because he hits on her best friend.

like as a joke its really good, but i dont think that was the intent.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Fool posted:

Jessica Jones season 1 was objectively good and David Tenant was a very good villain

doesn't he play a serial rapist or something

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

*in a very shaggar voice* if I were a traumatized abuse victim I would simply murder my abuser. it's that simple.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

doesn't he play a serial rapist or something

a supervillain who uses mind control to trap jones in an abusive relationship

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/mjsamps/status/1396820632210448385

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I saw yesterday that they are making a movie about cruella's backstory. Apparently the reason she wants to skin dogs is because people were mean to her as a kid???

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's very important to humanize our cartoon villains, the ones intentionally created to be so outlandishly evil that you could make a very simple tale of good versus bad for children

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Emma Stone being made fun of for being a Woody Allen defender turned her into Cruella.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I saw yesterday that they are making a movie about cruella's backstory. Apparently the reason she wants to skin dogs is because people were mean to her as a kid???

The first trailer looked like Disney's™ The Joker™

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

shoeberto posted:

The first trailer looked like Disney's™ The Joker™

want to know how i got these scars? i never trim my dogs nails!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

true, i bounced on jj after a while and didn't even touch legion for the same reason.
legion is... different. it's weird as gently caress and really leans on the weirdness and although it ends up being about saving the world it keeps it at reasonable human scale, plus most of the lead actors are really good which helps a lot. and yeah I watched the rest of jessica jones but I only really liked s1. hell, that and luke cage were the only of those netflix shows I actually enjoyed

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

legion is... different. it's weird as gently caress and really leans on the weirdness and although it ends up being about saving the world it keeps it at reasonable human scale, plus most of the lead actors are really good which helps a lot.
legion is almost a Fargo TV show spinoff lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

legion is... different. it's weird as gently caress and really leans on the weirdness and although it ends up being about saving the world it keeps it at reasonable human scale, plus most of the lead actors are really good which helps a lot. and yeah I watched the rest of jessica jones but I only really liked s1. hell, that and luke cage were the only of those netflix shows I actually enjoyed

i tried to watch luke cage season 2 and it bored the heck out of me. put it down to do something else for a week and totally forgot i was ever watching it until i read this post

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
iirc the problem with luke cage and a lot of those marble netflix shows is that half the season is good (not great) and half the season is terrible and you never know which is gonna be which

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

season 1 was decent i thought

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

fart simpson posted:

season 1 was decent i thought
iirc i liked the front half better than the back half. wasn't bad overall tho. I don't think the defenders even had a good half

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

luke cage somehow managed to feel it rushed to the boss fight at the halfway point of the season while also being slow moving and boring as gently caress for large amounts of it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

luke cage somehow managed to feel it rushed to the boss fight at the halfway point of the season while also being slow moving and boring as gently caress for large amounts of it
yeah the pacing on all the shows was kind of hosed. I did like that they had the luke cage villain lady using a gold MacBook one lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

luke cage felt like the biggest waste imo, i liked basically all the cast, the setting, everything was set up for it to be real good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the problem with Luke cage s1 is that the good villian got knocked out half way through, the rest of the season suffered as a result

I’ve posted this list before but good marvel Netflix:

daredevil s1 and 2
Jessica Jones s1
like cage first half of s1
punisher s1

the rest is garbage

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

luke cage felt like the biggest waste imo, i liked basically all the cast, the setting, everything was set up for it to be real good
yeah even the blaxploitation (musical) aesthetic was nice. utterly wasted yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i thought the problem with the netflix/disney shows was that it became clear early on that the companies were going to be competitors going forward (as netflix spent to develop their own content and disney started moving towards building their own streaming service) so that neither company had any real incentive in making sure those shows succeeded, which was reflected in their budgets and turnover and marketing

they were dead projects walking from the start, only being made because of contractual obligation (much like the microsoft kin and the apple/motorola ROKR phone)