Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hodgepodge posted:

Tony could win a lot of points right now by ending this chapter with a heroic display of willpower resulting in... telling a joke to Annie.

"For what you said to Jones just now, I should give you a hand. Kat can just grow me a new one."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Tony is a CUCK that is GASLIGHTING Annie from his SAFE SPACE

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
"Does this clarify my 'mental state'?"
"It does. It seems you are doing well."

Next page: :geno: "She is not doing well."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!
annie enters her house

shortly thereafter: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1263

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
tbh I'd feel way less wary and have more faith that the narrative is going somewhere satisfying if it wasn't for the specific things in the text below the pages in this chapter.

"We are all one person."

"Kind of explains it."

"Say what you want."

"It's not much but it's something."

But particularly this one:

"She isn't looking for a pat on the back."

Is that Tom talking to the audience or just commenting on the comic (like he often did in the past), or is this still Annie's perspective leaking out of the pages?

Because if it's Annie, yeah, that tracks with a teenager trying to make peace with her situation and her usual defiant streak. But if it's Tom...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
His comments have always been dry matter of fact restatements of what is happening on the page.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
In like two pages there will be a panel of annie cracked like a mirror or something.

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 25, 2021

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Even if there’s a “psych” page coming (increasingly doubtful tho I cling to hope) I feel this was just… badly done?

We’ve gone from some downright beautiful sequences with mysteries explored and solved by our protagonists to multiple back to back chapters where a deus ex machina kicks in, big important events happen off screen and are explained in text boxes/everyone monologues now, and an abrupt return to status quo followed by a draining grandstand speech where everyone stands there and recaps their feelings and the plot, emotional development, the Kat and Annie doing mystery adventures together has been gone for a while.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Let's pretend that the next page or two somehow tie everything together and make everything that's happened in the chapter so far worth the long build-up - that the pages upon pages of monologuing was a set up that is perfectly paid off.

It still doesn't change the fact that the experience of reading live as the pages post is hurt by this format. Even if the format was 100% necessary for this theoretical payoff, and said payoff could not have worked without it, there's still a solid argument to be made that this was a poor choice because of the impact on page-to-page readers.

Maybe it'll be the best payoff in the comic so far, but that doesn't change the fact that this is turning off a lot of fans and may not have been a smart choice.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also regardless of everything else, two Annies ruled and this has been really boring and thus not particularly reassuring after killing one of the more interesting new quirks of the comic.

Also also, gently caress the TicTocs thing was a disappointment.

Like Tom has done seemingly disappointing things that pay off later before, but we've just had an incredibly long string of chapters that currently seem to resolve big things unsatisfyingly to the point that if this isn't leading to some major payoff then it feels like the comics kinda cratered. Or Tom's doing some kind of deliberate Andy Kaufman bit which would also suck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also the two Annie's thing was really dumb from a plot perspective but easily forgivable because it seemed to have so much potential from a narrative one and boy oh boy did it squander it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If this monologue was a setup for it to be contradicted in the next few pages / next chapter, which I doubt, it still needed to be edited down so it wasn't nearly 3 weeks.

Remember this page?
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=981
Big ol' monologue happened, but it was pushed into the background so something else interesting could happen. This chapter has been listening to the math lecture instead.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Also the fact that one page was uploaded in the wrong order and no one noticed.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This chapter should have been one page long like Breakout just Jones asking Annie about her mental state, Annie laughing about it, scene missing, "It's not my blood!", boom, done, move the comic on if this is all there is to say.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Also the two Annie's thing was really dumb from a plot perspective but easily forgivable because it seemed to have so much potential from a narrative one and boy oh boy did it squander it.
Would've been nice for that dynamic to have been more than a prompt for Kat to realise all Annies that survived the bridge fall are shifted, discarded almost immediately after.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

GlyphGryph posted:

I think that one's not done yet. It got "solved" by Zimmy becoming the comic, which raises more questions than it resolved.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 25, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FunkyAl posted:

It got "solved" by Zimmy becoming the comic, which raises more questions than it resolved

I love this comic so much

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhGzVyF5zxc

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just off panel is a Jagganoth, holding his face in shock. He's appalled and embarrassed that he left his mouth laser going as he turned to look at his friend, Goggy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
wait is this the gunnerkrigg thread or the k6bd thread

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

whoa wtf

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This is the Kill Six Billion Personal Demons thread, you're one door over, sorry

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

eating worm is the perfect way for Tony to resolve his mind cage problem

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Zimmy merged the threads.

They are Fine Now Thank You, Please Leave.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Which artist was Forest Tom and which was City Tom?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Abaddon is a whimsical chaos elemental so he's clearly Forest Tom.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CJacobs posted:

This is the Kill Six Billion Personal Demons thread, you're one door over, sorry

Seems more like Kill One Personal Demon For Six Billion Pages

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

:hmmyes:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
my expectations for tonight's comic from least to most likely

3. jones ends her commute and gives her true thoughts on annannie / tony's situations to someone else
2. annie and tony have an incredibly minute and imperceptible interaction which gives her a depressing level of inner satisfaction
1. a series of establishing shots

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
We will get close-up to Annie's eye only to see Loup grinning from inside of it, while two Annies are chained to the wall behind him. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Oblivious posted:

:drat: doesn't even cover it lmao

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Fecha posted:

my expectations for tonight's comic from least to most likely

3. jones ends her commute and gives her true thoughts on annannie / tony's situations to someone else
2. annie and tony have an incredibly minute and imperceptible interaction which gives her a depressing level of inner satisfaction
1. a series of establishing shots

You got 1 and the opposite of 3, congrats?

With the court finally making its move against loup, possibly involving their omega project, there’s not a whole lot of threads left unresolved in this comic

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

cut to: TONY before the ELDERS OF THE COURT

TONY: She is ready. Initiate instrumentality.

Well, gently caress.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh it's specifically the guy who took the Lake Water from Annies when they retreived it.

...why wait then? They said that they'll return the water on their terms, and that Annie is not to be involved.

also what's the symbol behind him wasn't that associated with Kat aaaaaaaaaaaa

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kikas posted:

Oh it's specifically the guy who took the Lake Water from Annies when they retreived it.

...why wait then? They said that they'll return the water on their terms, and that Annie is not to be involved.

also what's the symbol behind him wasn't that associated with Kat aaaaaaaaaaaa

That's the symbol for bismuth, it's the emblem of the Court.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Well then, I think it's safe to say that this chapter sucked absolute balls and, unless they are keeping some consequences or issues with the Annie recombination in reserve for later chapters (fat chance), so did the last chapter. But I guess the big picture plot seems to be finally moving again? :shrug:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 26, 2021

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
We got what we wanted, the monologue is over.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Pyre File posted:

We got what we wanted, the monologue is over.

much in the same way a man being crushed by rocks wants relief, yes, we have finally been freed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Urgh