Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ass-penny

my downfall is having a real low tolerance for bullshit. pretty much it's my ability to have a real conversation with my boss and a handful of coworkers who I like keeping me here.

e: :widowsnypa:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Give me the strength

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Someone tried to step on my neck and take my Big Ears business so I ended up stealing it back.

Do NOT try me, I am like war.

cruft

You do NOT want to mess with those soap people. They are not afraid to get dirty.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

No like, for real, don't come in after I've done all the work and try to steal my account. That poo poo pisses me off. At least cut me in on the poo poo under the table.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

No like, for real, don't come in after I've done all the work and try to steal my account. That poo poo pisses me off. At least cut me in on the poo poo under the table.

They can't have done a very good job of stealing your account if they were ready to jump ship entirely on your company.

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

rear end-penny posted:

They can't have done a very good job of stealing your account if they were ready to jump ship entirely on your company.

It was an outside vendor trying to steal the business out from under us.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

[another soap joke goes here]

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

There's no sense getting in a lather about it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

cruft posted:

Please don't.

cruft

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "Big Fort Boogaloo", and I'm disappointed that nobody's talking about big forts.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cruft posted:

Every time I see this thread, I think it says "Big Fort Boogaloo", and I'm disappointed that nobody's talking about big forts.

Be the change you want to see in the world thread

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Boooooo!

It's so weird and frustrating to be sitting there, knowing what needs to be done to keep a business afloat or maybe prosper just a little more, and being actively ignored/sidelined.

Ass-penny

Mormon Nailer posted:

:bustem: well they sure chose the right time to try and snipe that from you. Guess they didn't know they were dealing with a real OG like you.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm just tired of working so hard for things as a distraction from *flails* and then someone coming in going "thanks, this is now mine." I've already got money and a purchase order in hand from this company, what the gently caress are you doing.

Finger Prince

One neat trick companies use to make sure people working from home need to go back to the office:
Slow, lovely, flaky VPN that keeps disconnecting

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Someone stole my work bike.

To be fair, I stole the work bike first, but now I don't have a bike to ride in the parking lot.

It's a bike that was left in the woods and rusted all to poo poo.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

One boss is out today. I'm pumped.

cruft

Mormon Nailer posted:

Someone stole my work bike.

To be fair, I stole the work bike first, but now I don't have a bike to ride in the parking lot.

It's a bike that was left in the woods and rusted all to poo poo.

Our dump always has this pile of bicycles. Only takes about 20m of picking through 'em to find enough to make a FrankenBike.

In Seattle, I think the police department had a gigantic lot of bicycles you could go through before they got hauled off to the dump and mangled. Must easier to get a working one.

Finger Prince

Looks like it wasnt the VPN, it was my internet. Down for emergency maintenance now to repair a fiber optic cable. Extended lunch break for me I guess!

Ass-penny

This is how we're "deciding" if we let customers back in or not. As you might be able to tell, some of us don't take much anything seriously. Probably doesn't help that some of us are here five or six days a week and other people once a week. And that this board has only previously hosted nonsense questions that we all habitually turned into jokes.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I don’t know how freight/trucking companies keep existing because they are the least customer-oriented companies ever.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don’t know how freight/trucking companies keep existing because they are the least customer-oriented companies ever.

Ms cruft worked for a shipping company when I met her.

Right after we started dating, we were telling each other what we did at work. It went like this:

quote:

cruft: I'm a systems programmer, so mostly I keep servers up and identify repetitive tasks that can be automated, then automate them

ms cruft (pending): I'm doing administrative work for this freighting company to put myself through college, right now I'm going through hundreds of powerpoint files of shipping rate maps and multiplying everything by 2% with a pocket calculator, then editing those figures in the powerpoint

cruft: ... holy poo poo

This exchange might only be funny to people who program computers.

Finger Prince

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The customer is the freight. Everything else is just middlemen.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

cruft posted:

Ms cruft worked for a shipping company when I met her.

Right after we started dating, we were telling each other what we did at work. It went like this:
This exchange might only be funny to people who program computers.

Please tell me "powerpoint files" was a typo, please. I don't want to think of someone having to pull data from slides. :ohdear:

Thanks to Dumb Sex-Parrot for the Christmas citrusy sig!

more falafel please posted:

just turn that impostor syndrome into "I'm Poster" syndrome

Vernii

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I worked in an HR role for a trucking company for a while and it was an internal poo poo show. I suspect they all stay in business because clients don't really give a poo poo as long as the loads arrive on time and the shipping departments that have to deal with them probably don't have much internal influence anyway.

cruft

Zil posted:

Please tell me "powerpoint files" was a typo, please. I don't want to think of someone having to pull data from slides. :ohdear:

No, it was exactly the horror show you fear. The sort of thing I could have whipped out in 10 minutes with awk, and she was three 40-hour weeks into it when I met her.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hey guess what, I have to do that poo poo too.

Yes it makes me want to die a little more each day, as a computer toucher that could fully automate this entire process and in fact, most things I do.

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm guessing they're the only game in town.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Freight companies loving suck to work for as much as the service sucks. Maybe if they were nicer to their employees, their service would improve.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Escape From Noise posted:

I'm guessing they're the only game in town.

No there are like a dozen of them!!! It actually wasn’t awful they just showed up at exactly the wrong time, but they got my machine on the ground without shoving it off the lift gate so that was an improvement over past experiences.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

xcheopis

Mormon Nailer posted:

Freight companies loving suck to work for as much as the service sucks. Maybe if they were nicer to their employees, their service would improve.

I've worked at two different rail companies (mostly logistics) and it was not fun, except that one job was near the train tracks and I like trains, so that part was good. The other was smack in the middle of a lot of shopping which was... sort of bad?
The people, though. Sucked.

Everywhere, everyone is red and green
I gotta lust for glory and a tape machine
I'm living out Frank Coppola's dreams
Outta my mind, I'm feelin' mean

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I worked for a trucking franchisee for a big logistics/transpo company for exactly one month in 2012. I had a stapler thrown at me. I walked out and never went back. It took them an entire labor board complaint to pay me, some months later.

I currently work in a place where I frequently interact with logistics/transpo companies, and can tell you exactly what the workers have told me, and it's real bad there. If my job is a hell environment, theirs is the inner circle of hell.

xcheopis

About five months before I started at the first place, one of the women in customer service (phone) had an actual nervous breakdown which I'm told was horrifying to see.

cruft

xcheopis posted:

About five months before I started at the first place, one of the women in customer service (phone) had an actual nervous breakdown which I'm told was horrifying to see.

I had a nervous breakdown once when I was working as a barista in the mall. That's actually the moment I resolved to go back to college so I wouldn't have to work retail ever again.

I can't even imagine how much worse it would have been if the belligerent customers were entitled business jerks.

cruft

Going out to dinner with the roller derby team made it pretty clear who had never held a customer facing job in the past. It seems like the sort of thing everyone should experience, if for no other reason than to have an extremely trying emotional experience to draw upon for some loving compassion.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
It should be mandatory that everyone put in a year of retail work.

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

It should be mandatory that everyone put in a year of retail work.

What like some countries have mandatory military service?

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Finger Prince posted:

What like some countries have mandatory military service?

Yeah, totally. Everyone should experience the fun of retail just once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince

Achtane posted:

Yeah, totally. Everyone should experience the fun of retail just once.

I think I'd rather have the military service.