Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

tuyop posted:

It’s a chromium browser created by a libertarian mega-chud. Other than that I think it’s been audited to death and is quite secure.

However, I think the iOS version is just a wrapper for WebKit, like all third party iOS browsers, and not the full on Brave that you get on a proper computer.

I guess I’m okay with using software developed by a CHUD as long as I don’t contribute to their incomes. Being able to play YouTube videos as audio only with the screen turned off is what I’ve been looking for forever.

Vegastar posted:

AdGuard found a way around the YouTube ads in safari and built a shortcut for it temporarily until they can integrate it in to the app as well:

https://adguard.com/en/blog/how-to-add-a-shortcut-to-block-youtube-ads.html

Seems to work for me, fix stays in place until you close or reload the tab, in which case you just run the shortcut again.

This is neat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess I’m okay with using software developed by a CHUD as long as I don’t contribute to their incomes. Being able to play YouTube videos as audio only with the screen turned off is what I’ve been looking for forever.

This is neat too.

Yeah I don’t think you’re Bad for doing so or anything, just something to be aware of.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tuyop posted:

However, I think the iOS version is just a wrapper for WebKit, like all third party iOS browsers, and not the full on Brave that you get on a proper computer.

Agree, all iOS browsers other than Opera mini (if it still exists) are just WebKit.

But Brave seems to be doing stuff I didn’t think iOS allowed:

I don’t recall ever seeing adblocking in any other browser before (or it being possible) - Non-safari browsers don’t even get to use the safari content blocker functionality, so generally have zero ad blocking (Firefox, Chrome on iOS etc) and are thus unuseable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got a kid that will be driving soon (:stonklol:) and we've got other kids going this way and that all week with various school, friends, sports practices and poo poo. Other than Find My, which can give an instantaneous location, are there any other kid-tracking apps that are a bit more useful? Looking for location history, location notifications (like arriving at school and whatnot), and for the driver, maybe speed and poo poo to make sure he's not being a dickhead. I've had a friend recommend Life360 and it seems to have the features I'm interested in. Anyone use this? I feel like the constant location and speed-tracking stuff would melt phone batteries.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
It will also probably melt any trust between you and the kids, so there’s that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've got a kid that will be driving soon (:stonklol:) and we've got other kids going this way and that all week with various school, friends, sports practices and poo poo. Other than Find My, which can give an instantaneous location, are there any other kid-tracking apps that are a bit more useful? Looking for location history, location notifications (like arriving at school and whatnot), and for the driver, maybe speed and poo poo to make sure he's not being a dickhead. I've had a friend recommend Life360 and it seems to have the features I'm interested in. Anyone use this? I feel like the constant location and speed-tracking stuff would melt phone batteries.

Don't janitor your kids.

Find my does Geofencing already (notifying arrivals/departures) but not sure if that's something you can make recurring. I guess if you want to get real fancy you can set up home automations as well.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

They make devices specifically for this, they plug into the OBD-II port on the car.

Automatic used to be the best one, I had one awhile ago for my own sanity as far as what may be wrong with my car and stuff like that, but ever since they've died, people started marketing them towards parents of teen drivers. I was looking for one to track where my car is (mostly) and just ended up getting AirTags earlier this year, but there are some options when looking for the location, driving speed, driving habits, stuff like that.

The top ones I found were Bouncie, Verizon's Hum (which is clunky to set up, and Vyncs. Hum requires Verizon, so that's its major fault. It's also $100 for the base model, but you can get a cheap one on eBay and Verizon will replace it for free if it doesn't activate. Then it's $10 a month. Bouncie is $8 and on its own, I just didn't like the UI back then.

This guy made a video directed kinda directly at people in your predicament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhnS7np82Bs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm going to add to the chorus trying you dissuade you from stalking your kids. If you don't trust them to go out and drive, then just don't let them go out and drive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ODB devices can cause weird fuckery with your electronics too. We sent back most of our Hums in work.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm going to add to the chorus trying you dissuade you from stalking your kids. If you don't trust them to go out and drive, then just don't let them go out and drive.

Yeah. Get a dash cam for accident/scam prevention reasons, if you really need to you can pull the footage from the SD card. The ones with GPS will even stamp the video with the current speed I think. But don't get something just for tracking your kids that you has zero barriers to looking at it, that's a great way to rile yourself up so you flip out over something extremely minor and make your kids feel like they need to hide poo poo from you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
OP asked for tech advice, not for parenting advice. But yes this is a thing you probably shouldn’t buy. :ohdear:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I appreciate all the parenting advice in an app thread, but if I’m paying for the car, the insurance, the gas, and the phone, I’m definitely going to have location data available anytime I want it. Trusting your kid and kids doing dumb poo poo aren’t mutually exclusive.

Also, thanks for the actual app feedback. I do have a dash cam with GPS available but it’s really a pain to pull the card regularly. I don’t need a live feed video, but I do have it available if anything does happen. It’s definitely saved my rear end once so far.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hey, just trying to help. But if you wanna LoJack your kids go for it.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Can’t comment on the paid features but the free tier of Life360 works well and doesn’t drain the battery excessively. HTH op

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I have a weird non-critical bug with Siri where using "Hey Siri" cuts off Siri's audio response before it finishes. It gives the results on screen like normal but the sound doesn't play all the way.

Like, "Hey Siri, when is the next eclipse?" And Siri shows the wolfram results and says "The next solar eclipse will--" and then just stops.

I use it a lot (for more important stuff) when I'm slightly away from my phone doing something else and it sucks having to grab my phone every time.

14.6 seems to have fixed this, which is nice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Look my parents didn’t obsessively stalk me when I turned 16 and now look how I turned up, a something awful forums poster.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I appreciate all the parenting advice in an app thread, but if I’m paying for the car, the insurance, the gas, and the phone,

Ah cool you’re on of those that equate paying to raise your kid as giving you the right to lord over their every move. that works out so well every time in maintaining a good relationship as they become more independent.

Are they going to start paying rent when they turn 18 too?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Trusting your kid and kids doing dumb poo poo aren’t mutually exclusive.

I mean, I guess, but I'm not sure "I'm going to surveil my child's driving habits" is the solution.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

don’t be surprised when they choose a college on the other side of the country to get away from you, when their relationships are all with people who stalk them like you do, or when they stop talking to you the second you’re not providing financial incentives to do so

they’re your kids, not prisoners

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Jesus Christ, am I in the parenting thread? Maybe we should lay off the unsolicited criticism of a family situation we have zero context for? Obviously parents tracking their kids can be harmful if they use the tracking to be over controlling and abusive, but all of you experts don’t know anything about this situation at all. It can be totally benign, and good in emergency situations. Stop trying to Bean Dad this guy when you have so little information.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

babby delivered, not sure how to handle. Any apps teach parenting?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My children are my property to do with as I please.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i assume everyone who tracks their kid's phone is an abuser. similarly, everyone who uses homekit is re-enacting the classic play "gas light" about terrorizing your spouse

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Weedle posted:

everyone who uses homekit is re-enacting the classic play "gas light" about terrorizing your spouse
This except it’s Siri doing it to me by pretending it can’t understand anything I’ve ever said to it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that can tell me when new comics release? I want to be able to add, for example, a 2020 run of Ms. Marvel or something and have it show me the upcoming releases, alert me when a new one releases, stuff like that.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

looking for an app that lets me track my child's haircuts - willing to pay $5

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that can tell me when new comics release? I want to be able to add, for example, a 2020 run of Ms. Marvel or something and have it show me the upcoming releases, alert me when a new one releases, stuff like that.

Are you going for physical releases / trades or digital? ComiXology as a platform is fantastic and while they don’t have a storefront in the app (it’s just a reader) you can set up wish list and reminders for series when new issues or titles come out. You can even pre-order.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Comixology subs works pretty well. I get an email when new issues are out.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'll have to check that out. I initially avoided it because it was digital, but I guess the purpose is all the same regardless of where I end up buying them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Any recommendations for making gifs?

I tried using the shortcut scripts but the quality of the gifs is poop.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use ImgPlay and it works great. I paid the $5 or whatever to remove the watermark I used it so much. You can make them from live photos, videos, etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Any recommendations for making gifs?

I tried using the shortcut scripts but the quality of the gifs is poop.

I like Motion Stills a lot.

Violator
May 15, 2003

This Siri integration with music services is awful. Now every time I ask for music to play it tries Pocketcasts and says it can’t find it. “Hey Siri, play AC/DC” “I’m sorry I can’t find that in pocketcasts.” Well play it in Music you idiot!

Edit: Now I specifically say “… in Apple Music” like I’m some sort of caveman. Just let me set it somewhere because obviously the machine learning for this sucks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Violator posted:

This Siri integration with music services is awful. Now every time I ask for music to play it tries Pocketcasts and says it can’t find it. “Hey Siri, play AC/DC” “I’m sorry I can’t find that in pocketcasts.” Well play it in Music you idiot!

Edit: Now I specifically say “… in Apple Music” like I’m some sort of caveman. Just let me set it somewhere because obviously the machine learning for this sucks.

This started happening to me too and I loving hate it, except for me it’s with Overcast.

Thanks for making Siri + Apple Music worthless Tim Apple.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 28, 2021

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
That happened for me once but I only use overcast and AM. vOv

Just tested it and it worked fine. I use it very regularly so vOv

Violator
May 15, 2003

That’s the weird thing, when it would ask me I would always say Apple Music. I never play podcasts via Siri so it should have learned to always try Apple Music first.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Same. Only Apple Music and Overcast. I’ve never used Siri to control Overcast, ever. I used Siri to control Apple Music quite regularly before the update that hosed everything up. Now when I’m driving and think of a song I want Siri to play, she can’t find it on Overcast. Or when I think of a band I want to play but no specific song, she tries to play a podcast with that band’s name in it and fails because I need to unlock my phone or some poo poo before she can do that. And the few times she’s asked me which music app to use, of which I have a grand total of one (Apple Music), I’ve said Apple Music and she does not get the hint. I have no shortcuts that use Overcast, and I’ve never said “play … in Overcast” ever in my life. I don’t have the Apple Podcasts app installed, or Spotify, or anything else.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Edit: I can’t read and posted in the wrong thread, goddamnit.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is there an app that relatively accurately shows you 3/4g signal strength and related info? I am new to this stuff and live in an area with bad coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jippa posted:

Is there an app that relatively accurately shows you 3/4g signal strength and related info? I am new to this stuff and live in an area with bad coverage.

You're looking for the field test mode (not an app).