Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

gleebster posted:

Stop trying to make the Finnish language make sense.

I can see you're not a yesterday grouse's son!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gleebster posted:

So, if I were to ask a Finn "how many were there?"and the Finn answered "kuutonen". I know there were anywhere between 1 and 6?

No no no. The answer to "how many" isn't the name of the number six, it's the number six.

Like if, in English, you ask "how many", the answer isn't going to be "the number [whatever]."

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No no no. The answer to "how many" isn't the name of the number six, it's the number six.

Like if, in English, you ask "how many", the answer isn't going to be "the number [whatever]."
What is the word for the numerical concept of 6?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercury posted:

What is the word for the numerical concept of 6?

"Eläköön Paholainen"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I don't like where this is going.

Next thing we know, you're going to be making GBS threads on viperless milk and man trains.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bread doesn't mean money; the guy was just being a huge rear end in a top hat

It took me a while to realize that it did, in fact, mean money.

"Man, what are you doing here?" certainly fits in with that gay bar interpretation, though that still seems pretty questionable

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

The spruce, the spruce, the spruce is on fire
we don't need no water let the mother fucker burn

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

gleebster posted:

Stop trying to make the Finnish language make sense.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Shifty Nipples posted:

The spruce, the spruce, the spruce is on fire
we don't need no water let the mother fucker burn
so six moons over my hammy, anything to drink?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thanks to a sudden bout of listening to Kate Bush i just learned that i had no idea what the novel Wuthering Heights is actually about. I mean, i knew "turbulent love story", two names, and something about moors i suppose, but that's it. There's a lot more revenge, and death, and ghosts apparently.

Maybe i should read the drat thing.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
It's wretched, don't.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

packetmantis posted:

It's wretched, don't.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just spend five seconds on wikipedia so you can nod and look intelligent when it comes up in conversation rather than having to read the drat thing

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A hundred thousand words about Heathcliff and it's not even the cat.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

BrigadierSensible posted:

This would probably be best served in a "misheard lyrics" thread. But I just figured out what it is supposed to be, so it technically fits here too.

For the longest time, I thought the words to Billy Joel's Piano Man included the phrase "And the piano sounds like a carnivore..."

It never made proper sense to me, and I justified it as in he had been playing so long that it all mashed together in a dull roar, much like a lion or tiger would give.

But I recently figured out that the words are actually "And the piano sounds like a carnival" Which makes so much more sense.

I heard the same thing as a kid and it was because the piano/dead-end gig at a bar was eating his whole life away. A carnivore :hmmyes:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Trabant posted:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Trabant posted:

Catherine loves the meat tank?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A "social gadfly" is a person who interferes with the status quo by asking the difficult/annoying questions that other people usually avoid asking, and spurs society into confronting difficult issues in the same way that a gadfly biting a horse will spur it into action.

For some reason I always assumed it was a carefree person who spent a lot of time at dinner parties, "gadding about" socially

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Piano Man is just the poor mans The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Piano Man is just the poor mans The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me)

Pfft Tom Waits can't even play that one in key

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I wish I understood Tom Waits.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fizzymercury posted:

I wish I understood Tom Waits.

Metaphorically, or literally?

Because he's just a weirdo who early on decided to lean hard into an oddball persona that was part Howlin' Wolf/Captain Beefheart/carnival barker. But also writes incredibly beautiful and inventive music non-stop for the last 40+years.

If you literally can't understand what he's singing I'm surprised, because despite the demonic delivery he actually enunciates pretty well

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Trabant posted:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Metaphorically, or literally?

Because he's just a weirdo who early on decided to lean hard into an oddball persona that was part Howlin' Wolf/Captain Beefheart/carnival barker. But also writes incredibly beautiful and inventive music non-stop for the last 40+years.

If you literally can't understand what he's singing I'm surprised, because despite the demonic delivery he actually enunciates pretty well

Philosophically.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fizzymercury posted:

Philosophically.

Yeah I guess he's not really trying for mass appeal or anything, just pottering along doing his thing.

For about 20 years Waits was just the horrible poo poo my older brother listened to, not cool like the Slayer and GnR records he gave me. Then somehow it just clicked. For me Mule Variations or Rain Dogs are both easy ways into Waits, but also if he doesn't do it for you that's cool too

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tom Waits is basically GBS: performatively always-somehow-30-something, drunk or on drugs, vacillating between what is cool now, what was cool when we were kids, and what might be cool in the future.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
30-something? :wtc:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tom Waits pisses me off because I love Rain Dogs very much but I have exactly the wrong sort of voice to sing his stuff. I have no gruffness at all, so when I sing, it sounds ridiculously sugary. Big Black Mariah is my favourite track and I cannot even begin to sing it. Diamonds and gold has been my in-head background music for literally decades at this point. Fuckin hell, Cemetery Polka rules.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 22:31 on May 26, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Tom Waits pisses me off because I love Rain Dogs very much but I have exactly the wrong sort of voice to sing his stuff. I have no gruffness at all, so when I sing, it sounds ridiculously sugary.

I know very little Tom Waits music, but I know Downtown Train was on Rain Dogs and it got Rod Stewart a shitload of airtime in the early 90s

I guess that wouldn't help much if you were sick to death of Downtown Train, like me in the early 90s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Packs a day

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
It's called an airlock because it's a lock. For air.

Like a canal lock.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I love Tom Waits. Seeing him in movies is always one of the most rewarding little moments in a film. His voice is amazing and his acting is also top-notch.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I love Tom Waits. Seeing him in movies is always one of the most rewarding little moments in a film. His voice is amazing and his acting is also top-notch.

This right here is why I wish I got his music. He seems neato.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My friend had some Penthouse magazines from the 70s in his apartment for some reason. First page I open and there's an interview with a 20-something Tom

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Splendid posted:

It's called an airlock because it's a lock. For air.

Like a canal lock.

Holy poo poo. :same: I never made that connection.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I love Tom Waits, if I saw him in concert I'd cry. His first 4 albums are amazing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pocket Billiards posted:

I love Tom Waits, if I saw him in concert I'd cry. His first 4 albums are amazing.

Seeing him in concert was Top 5 lifetime gigs for sure.

It was in a massive circus marquee tent. During one song he put on a hat that was covered in reflective panels like a discoball, and slowly rotated while the spotlight shone on him, sending rainbows all around the tent.

The only shame was no Marc Ribot on that tour, but I would kill to see him again

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My folks got into Waits in the '70s (after seeing him on Letterman) and passed that love onto me from an early age. When he finally, finally toured in the early '00s, we bought the first tickets we could, almost blindly, and wound up going on a road trip from Detroit to Birmingham, Alabama for the Glitter and Doom Tour. It was beyond fantastic. What an experience.

We made sure to see him in Detroit in '06, too. It was about a week before my son was born and he was banging around inside right along with Tom. :3:

His earliest albums might be a good introduction, without a lot of the later quirk, pageantry, and gruffness that can turn people off. Other accessible albums I like to recommend are Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs.

Bonus: https://youtu.be/wflJVB4cM_c

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Im sure it's there in the compilation, but one of my favourite Waits TV appearances is him doing Make It Rain with half of JSBX. Great vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR5SHuJDlUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?