Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the opening pub scene in the Korgoth of Barbaria pilot rips off the scene where we’re first introduced to Guts’ ginormous sword. I think they steal the sex-with-a-lady-but-it’s-a-demon gag too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Berserk entered publication when Miura was just 23 years old

An old post, but this is probably among the things that bothers me most about Berserk and Miura's passing. It's proof positive that real artists are born, not made, and if you don't have your magnum opus before 25, you're never going to.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Flesnolk posted:

An old post, but this is probably among the things that bothers me most about Berserk and Miura's passing. It's proof positive that real artists are born, not made, and if you don't have your magnum opus before 25, you're never going to.

I mean Tolkien didn't get the Hobbit published until he was 45.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

TheLoneStar posted:

I feel bad for Rosine, even though she really had to be put down. Got turned into a demon without knowing what she was really doing and clearly went completely insane as a result. ... Went from giving a girl a knife to slit her wrist with to just telling Jill to go home because it's too dangerous for her to be with him.
Seems like your demons kill you, define you, or you go through hell overcoming them. Choose your path.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

The gently caress?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Flesnolk posted:

That is certainly not the takeaway I would glean from that tidbit.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

It says more about the serialized nature of manga and the debut process and how someone can start with something so-so that then evolves into something amazing through repetition.

Plenty of great novelists, etc were never published until their late 40s. Plenty of directors don’t get the chance to be directors until they’ve gone through 10-25 years in below the line jobs in the film biz. It really depends on the industry and the opportunities mixed with skills that are developed alongside work ethic. Talent is a very nebulous thing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"You think I came out of the pussy drawing Mozart?"

Lot of people hit their stride later in life.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Flesnolk posted:

Shigeru Mizuki, also an incredibly storied and respected author and artist, did not get any manga published until he was 38 after having lost his primary arm in WW2 and had to relearn how to draw with his non-dominant arm. Go gently caress yourself with this.

Talent is fake, the only thing that exists is putting the work in. And Miura absolutely put the work in. After all, it probably killed him.

mdct fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Saying that Miura was born with it basically invalidates all of the years of life he sunk into his work and not going out and living it. I know you're trying to be positive about his talent but in the context of "he probably died due to decades of never leaving indoors to work on his manga" it doesn't look great.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

David D. Davidson posted:

Where my little fan theory comes from is that quite a few thing probably would still have happened without Griffith sacrificing The Hawks

Exactly what I was thinking

TheLoneStar posted:

Just finished Lost Children, and it was pretty depressing. I feel bad for Rosine, even though she really had to be put down. Got turned into a demon without knowing what she was really doing and clearly went completely insane as a result. And it seems like Guts is going to keep traumatizing children by slaughtering those they hold dear. Speaking of which, I'm glad Guts' edginess went down for this. Went from giving a girl a knife to slit her wrist with to just telling Jill to go home because it's too dangerous for her to be with him. Interested to see how the knightly order will play into things, the one that's chasing Guts down.

And I know I sound like a broken record but holy poo poo I hate Puck. He's actually gotten worse with all the pop culture references he keeps making. Especially since him and Guts have the same interaction five times a chapter.

Guts says something mean.
Puck gets mad at him and asks him how he could be so cruel.
Guts ignores him or flicks him away.

Probably happened at least a dozen times in this arc alone. Makes it worse because Puck has no real reason to even be with Guts. He just kind of wants to, as far as he'll admit.

Puck gets better when there's other characters for him to bounce off of

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Miura is an example of both prodigal talent and dedication

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I think the opening pub scene in the Korgoth of Barbaria pilot rips off the scene where we’re first introduced to Guts’ ginormous sword. I think they steal the sex-with-a-lady-but-it’s-a-demon gag too.

I wonder if anyone has done a deep compilation of all the references to Berserk in other media

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It'd be a twenty hour long video

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Shout out to all the gorgeous two page spreads of Griffith that just made me hate the fucker even more when all we wanted was to get off the loving boat. Shout out to Silat for being the coolest guy in the comic not named Guts, would have been cool to see more of him.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Also it is otaku supreme to see Miura call his high school self "the yellow ranger of the group: lagging behind in terms of emotional growth, but way ahead of the others in terms of drawing ability" is some :discourse: primo poo poo. Really wish I could have bought the dude a steak or something in appreciation.

Also that is some Hunger Games-level dystopian future Japan was going for, baking in to their culture to make their children complete with each other for dominance to produce the strongest citizens...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

Also that is some Hunger Games-level dystopian future Japan was going for, baking in to their culture to make their children complete with each other for dominance to produce the strongest citizens...

There's a reason why the best friend turns into the protagonist's rival in so many shonen manga.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If we closely examine Battle Royale, which operates on the premise that one delinquent class in Japan each year is sent to an island to kill each other, we might glean something about the competitive nature of their culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0p1t-dC7Ko

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Exactly what I was thinking

Puck gets better when there's other characters for him to bounce off of

Eh at this stage, if Puck didn't align with their senses yet, I don't think he will

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
TheLoneStar. You noticed The Count during the Eclipse. Did you recognize that the Apostle that kills Corkus is the same one that Guts kills at the very beginning of the manga?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Puck in the first arc is mostly a somewhat clumsy counterpoint to a then overly-edgy Guts. By the time Golden Age is done and we get back to the present, he's far more confidently and consistently characterized, and his role in the story cements itself. He gets even better as other characters show up.

So to new readers: Be patient with him.

Oh yeah--- a few pages late to this, but regarding Griffith:

It would be too easy say that he just "went insane" over a year of torture. That's not the term for it -- and in fact, it's too often used as a hand-wave explanation in place of actual motivations, which Griffith did not lack for. He was always a stone cold sociopath, and nothing was more important to him than being the center of the universe. Seeing Guts and Casca relatively happy, healthy, and independent was as painful to his still-intact ego as everything his body had endured.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 25, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SpudCat posted:

Put together with the later arcs it becomes tragic-- after all the development and self-actualization he got in the Golden Age, the trauma of the Eclipse caused Guts to regress into the worst parts of himself. The way he gradually gets past the no-touching thing only for it to come roaring back is especially sad. I think it's a testament to Miura's skills that the super-edgy, seat-of-the-pants storytelling from the opening arc ends up looking planned.

Opening scene of Guts banging demon lady notwithstanding. It's so goofy I'd never change it for the world, though.

Agreed.
It's not bad when the opening pages of the manga are the only time your protagonist ends up feeling out of character though.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1395242378022178819?s=20

Wow I definitely would have guessed Star Wars or Conan as the highest selling Dark Horse published comic.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Flesnolk posted:

*Miura's end of volume comments "haha I have no life nor health because I do nothing but refine my craft"*

*Interview with Miura "haha the inspiration for Berserk came from my childhood that I spent learning and refining my craft at the expense of my social and emotional development"*

Sage goon nods "hmm yes I see talent is truly born not made"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/ZackDavisson/status/1395242378022178819?s=20

Wow I definitely would have guessed Star Wars or Conan as the highest selling Dark Horse published comic.

In fairness, Star Wars comics aren't generally one long running serialisation so in total, they might outnumber Berserk sales but no individual SW comic has out performed it. Same going for Conan.

Not to say Berserk being highest seller isn't awesome.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

OhFunny posted:

TheLoneStar. You noticed The Count during the Eclipse. Did you recognize that the Apostle that kills Corkus is the same one that Guts kills at the very beginning of the manga?
Yeah, I did. I pointed it out too.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
So the apostle in black swordsman is being sent women and children as food. So then, in Falconia are they doing the same thing but it just hasn't been noticed yet? Those beasties get rather chompy.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

So the apostle in black swordsman is being sent women and children as food. So then, in Falconia are they doing the same thing but it just hasn't been noticed yet? Those beasties get rather chompy.

I think the medium (Sonia?) promises to bring them some human corpses after she brings the new guy there, but I gather it's not standard and they survive on other kinds of flesh in the meantime.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Also Guts tears at the skin on his arm, the same way Griffith was trying to tear his arm off in the river. I've always felt there was something there I was missing, but is it just intended to be psychological? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excoriation_disorder

I've started my reread! :3:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Hel posted:

I think the medium (Sonia?) promises to bring them some human corpses after she brings the new guy there, but I gather it's not standard and they survive on other kinds of flesh in the meantime.
That may be part of it indeed, that Sonia has some way to help alleviate those concerns. Certainly it's claimed that the arena battles and actual battles keep them under control, but I'd think that would only go so far. I'll keep my eyes open regarding Sonia (if I remember haha) when I get there.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Got through the Binding Chain Arc. Honestly didn't expect Guts to get capture by normal people, but I guess with all the injuries he had, it only made sense. I'm fond of Azan, he's amusing but also seems like a pretty cool guy in general. Glad he didn't get killed at all. I had a sneaking suspicion that Farnese had something for Guts when she demanded to be left quite alone with him all bound and half-naked with whips in her hands. Turned out to be true when she got possessed. Feel bad for the dogs, though.

Also I totally forgot about the loving rape horse. I vaguely heard about that in the past, but totally forgot about it until I saw its creepy human-like face. So glad that it never went much farther than it licking her face. Jesus...

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

RIP Miura

Just hit book 4 on my re-read that started in March. Judeau is such a good bro. I’m ready for pain.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Judeau is my favorite character too. We should really do a Berserk survey of these things, if mods allow it

Favorite Arc
Favorite Hawk
Favorite Demon
Favorite Armor / Weapon
etc

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Did not know that his death would affect me so much. Started re-reading again.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

RIP Miura

Just hit book 4 on my re-read that started in March. Judeau is such a good bro. I’m ready for pain.

how big are the pages in these? I have 2 volumes of darkhorse's paperback but the pages are so small it just doesnt do the art justice and I've been waiting for full sized releases.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Macksy posted:

how big are the pages in these? I have 2 volumes of darkhorse's paperback but the pages are so small it just doesnt do the art justice and I've been waiting for full sized releases.

They're big. Easily a full size fantasy novel hardback scale. The prints are gorgeous and plenty big to pore over. There are def some double page spreads that the spine obv is an issue with but that's about it.

e: I can take some comparison pictures if anyone wants some for scale

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They're basically A4

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Macksy posted:

pages are 7” x 10”

like ZSB said art looks great at that size but some spreads are limited by the spine. There’s also a few pages where it seems like there’s too much ink or the paper they printed on couldn’t handle the detail and bled a bit. Overall though I’m happy with the quality.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hel posted:

I know why it's there but with the wacky Puck stuff it doesn't work for me in most of the story, while that jokes and stuff in the flashback do. It honestly just makes all the horrible stuff worse.
It's hard to describe but I think it comes off to me as some stuff not really fitting with the rest of the world. And by doing so it comes of to me less like the characters suffer because the world is poo poo and the actions of other characters, but more because the author tortures them. Which is of course true of every story, but you mostly want to forget that as you are reading it.

Another thought is that Puck being the one to make jokes about it is that he's pretty much the one primary character that doesn't suffer on the level of the rest, so him being the one making jokes comes of differently to me. I'm not saying I wanted Puck to be tortured, but having him be so distant from it has issues for me. Which could have worked fine if it was kept to the standard mischievous fairy level that the rest of the elves end up on.

So yeah I know it's supposed to be a break from the dark stuff but by having it be so extreme as a counter the extremely grim stuff, if comes it to me less like a break and more like a car crash.

Honestly I think it worked for me because of that. The tonal shift was so radically different but it wasn't like totally detached from the scenes. Like Guts always reacted to him being there like he was driving him crazy cause he was so weirdly innocent and distracting in face of what Guts was dealing with, and he slowly started to... I don't know if enjoy it is the right term but Puck became commonplace and everyday to him and probably somewhat of a comfort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flesnolk posted:

I dunno how true that is. What work of Leonardo Da Vinci's is famous from when he was in his 20s

As a personal favorite Juana Molina was a middling soap opera star until she became a really impressive musician in her 40s