Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

oh wow, what synchronicity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r-Uga_oR28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

JordanKai posted:

Exceptional creature. Wow!

I would pet them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i don't get these folks who think that every piece of media has to be a loving morality play and everyone has to have super healthy emotions and outlets and poo poo. like wtf.

idk. it reminds me of this hot take from today.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1396949764181266439

like yeah, no poo poo the ancient alien assholes are weird sad fucks that poo poo on ancient peoples because of various poo poo reasons both consciously and unconsciously because it can't be that the various egyptian dyanasties just had really really good labor/artisan crews and architects who made great wonders and poo poo. it clearly had to be the protheans. like bringin attention to that is good and cool. but being weird that some marvel movie and sci fi likes to play with ideas and poo poo isnt a great moral failure that is worth whining and finger wagging about.

but its like i don't get their folks who think that everything in media must be this perfect moral paragon and poo poo. like gently caress off clowns. like i dont think these people are evil and i think they mean well but they seem to think everyone is a child and needs to be treated as one.
When you start digging into ancient aliens stuff it's really really insidious and is loving everywhere now. It's long since absorbed regular UFO cranks to the point where you can draw a direct line from von Daniken straight to the Pentagon's recent legitimisation of UFO sightings with a stop-over to the US attempting to harness the power of psychic dogs and funding people to sit in a room and pretend they can see ancient Rome.

That said, the Eternals aren't and never were aliens and, as summed up by "until now we have never interefered", the text is very clear that they have never at any point used their fantastic powers to even attempt to uplift humanity let alone build pyramids or anything. They were, themselves, the ones uplifted by aliens.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoHo_Sju-X0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFp7VwyQLFU

They have the best jams

quote:

Stop dizzyheels of the wicked
Defuse, pop! Debone, slup! Deflate...
No busydeals for the wicked
Too late, far too late, far too late!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dias posted:

This is a good point but I honestly feel like there are a ton of those that end up in this "oh I'm happy you're happy with them unfortunately this means we can't be together" and it would be kinda cool to see more "huh, maybe we can also be together" as a resolution. Like, I can only think of Sense8 when I think about polyamory/non-monogamic relationships being portrayed on media positively.

Also going with that doesn't mean you can't write conflict and drama in...quite the opposite, really.

Yeah, if you dig down into what she's saying far enough there's a genuinely good point there. There's a lot of hosed up and toxic poo poo surrounding monogamy that doesn't get examined very much because it's the assumed default.

But on the flipside she also obviously thinks polyamory is a panacea for relationship drama, which lol no. Plus the whole stink of "here's my tips for how to write stories that appeal to ME- I mean, how to write good stories!"

And I do think an important distinction here is that it's dumb to act like your personal preferences are the one true way to do something, but her preferences being towards fluffy fanfiction stuff isn't inherently an issue by itself.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
The whole polyamory thing to me strikes me awfully fuckin' similar to the kinda poo poo I've seen from non-poly allies, especially on Tumblr. The brazen application of it to fiction without a thought of how the relationship would work, the use of it as simple fix for interpersonal drama, the general uwuification of how she presents it whenever she speaks about it.

idk, as a poly person I see poo poo like she's spewing a lot and it's hard to explain, it's a very patronising view of a complicated identity/relationship dynamic.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mr.Radar posted:

This video is great. That was the last movie I saw in a cinema before the pandemic and the video reminded me of how great it was while also being an excellent essay in its own right.
She is very good at talking about stuff she likes and her videos are at their best when it's about something you share that fondness for. It's very nice to have someone honestly and thoughtfully talk about why they like something. So much long form stuff is about how much something sucks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JordanKai posted:

they’re just so weird and adorable :3:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i see that alot. like i am cool with silver age stuff and i am a person who likes their cape stuff on the lighter end with some toe dipping in darker stuff. but i never understood this weird thing with various folks/critics online where they think all media has to be Stephen universe or super nice and stuff. like yeah, i wouldnt want everything to be dark and gritty and GRIMDARK but i feel like going fully to the other end of the spectrum is kinda pathetic and juvinile in a different way. personally. i prefer media that can mix both hosed up and wholesome. its why i like vivzipops cartoons or stuff like mass effect or any other weird thing. things don't have to be one or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozWpY6Cn67Y

what they want.

I mean, there's an argument for this being good advice for a starting author - maybe your first pieces shouldn't delve into grimdark grey area heroes while you work on your writing chops. If this list is "how to write your first fanfic", then that's fair.

Start with nice broad strokes and clear lines, then work on grey areas, but the fixation of some of "protagonist = hero = good guy" for some online critics is bizarre.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/vaushv/status/1396965886234271744?s=21
this is the worst description of a Pride parade I have ever seen
“Queer-friendly” lmao just kill me now

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Can I introduce you to the crippling earworm that is Titania's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYCZ9jzLEA

Fa-la-LA-la-la-la...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm glad the people I follow on twitter only ever bring up shoe and vaush is to dunk on them. It never ceases to amaze me at how much energy people waste trying to rehabilitate them. They're not worth it. There are plenty of people out there who are smarter, didn't peddle Right-Wing libertarian poo poo for years or isn't a lovely sexpest who hates the trans community. Why they want these ones to turn that corner and not be poo poo is beyond me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Augus posted:

"pride should be queer friendly" is one hell of a take :shepface:

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Is Vaush queer because holy poo poo this is straightpeople.txt

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The mod did ask for us not to get too into “kink at pride” discourse

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Is Vaush queer because holy poo poo this is straightpeople.txt

He's pan.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I wonder what Fredrik Knudsen's been up to lately:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPrLZ3PB9GU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Dabir posted:

He's pan.

yeah, 'pan'dering to dweebs!! yuk yuk

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

thetoughestbean posted:

The mod did ask for us not to get too into “kink at pride” discourse

Poor Junpei always need to threaten this thread like 3 times before it takes lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the dwarves kill goblins so there is some interaction.

Fair.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Endorph posted:

this is very funny since sh0e does have teenagers in her audience and has posted blatantly sexual poo poo multiple times

https://twitter.com/lieptogalas/status/1396935687249833990?s=21

not that she should be judged for talking about loving and sucking just like, you dont get to post in public about loving and sucking and then get mad about drag shows

Turpitude II posted:

you know how you hear about the most explicitly homophobic anti-gay-legislation politicians cruising in bathrooms and being caught with male prostitutes near-exclusively?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

SteelMentor posted:

The whole polyamory thing to me strikes me awfully fuckin' similar to the kinda poo poo I've seen from non-poly allies, especially on Tumblr. The brazen application of it to fiction without a thought of how the relationship would work, the use of it as simple fix for interpersonal drama, the general uwuification of how she presents it whenever she speaks about it.

idk, as a poly person I see poo poo like she's spewing a lot and it's hard to explain, it's a very patronising view of a complicated identity/relationship dynamic.

yeah my point wasn’t “poly bad” but “applying poly as the be all end all solution to all love triangles is really loving bad writing advice”. and yeah i see a lot of people who post that poly relationships are inherently woke or whatever when it’s just a type of relationship that doesn’t work for everyone

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

i would argue most people aren't communicative or understanding enough, let alone trusting enough, to do poly. Normalizing it in culture requires way more transparency about how it works and the conceptual poly in the heads of people who pull it out as an easy option to 'solve' any relationship drama is, at best, very shallow.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

This is a listicle rant of an adult still very salty they were less popular on fanfiction sites as a teen than those they considered lesser than themselves, not writing advice, loving lol.

Who even was this imbecile and how did this make twitter main character.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Quote isnt edit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuebot posted:

"pride should be queer friendly" is one hell of a take :shepface:
i mean

i agree pride should be queer friendly? in a sense.

StealthArcher posted:

This is a listicle rant of an adult still very salty they were less popular on fanfiction sites as a teen than those they considered lesser than themselves, not writing advice, loving lol.

Who even was this imbecile and how did this make twitter main character.
they'er a total nobody with like 1k followers tops and abrely any subs, but the youtube algorithm randomly made some video they made screaming about steven universe get 4 million views. this has not translated into any sustained success or popularity for them its just a thing that happened, but it sure did give them an inflated ego.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Endorph posted:

they'er a total nobody with like 1k followers tops and abrely any subs, but the youtube algorithm randomly made some video they made screaming about steven universe get 4 million views. this has not translated into any sustained success or popularity for them its just a thing that happened, but it sure did give them an inflated ego.

Well that explains a lot.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. like i don't get these folks who think that every piece of media has to be a loving morality play and everyone has to have super healthy emotions and outlets and poo poo. like wtf.

idk. it reminds me of this hot take from today.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/1396949764181266439

like yeah, no poo poo the ancient alien assholes are weird sad fucks that poo poo on ancient peoples because of various poo poo reasons both consciously and unconsciously because it can't be that the various egyptian dyanasties just had really really good labor/artisan crews and architects who made great wonders and poo poo. it clearly had to be the protheans. like bringin attention to that is good and cool. but being weird that some marvel movie and sci fi likes to play with ideas and poo poo isnt a great moral failure that is worth whining and finger wagging about.

but its like i don't get their folks who think that everything in media must be this perfect moral paragon and poo poo. like gently caress off clowns. like i dont think these people are evil and i think they mean well but they seem to think everyone is a child and needs to be treated as one.

Superman... sounds like Ubermensch... wow problematic much tsktsk thats a yikes from me

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Endorph posted:

i mean

i agree pride should be queer friendly? in a sense.

they'er a total nobody with like 1k followers tops and barely any subs, but the youtube algorithm randomly made some video they made screaming about steven universe get 4 million views. this has not translated into any sustained success or popularity for them its just a thing that happened, but it sure did give them an inflated ego.

I actually used to follow her before she released her SU vid. She used to be kinda this wannabe Jim Sterling of the brony community. (which is an actual sentence I just said) She would call out bad behavior in the community such as bigotry or pedophilia that seemed to be all too accepted in lots of brony spaces. This was during the height of both the show and brony fandom, so it was nice someone was calling out the more toxic elements of the fandom. But then she got it in her head she was some kind of intelligent critic and started ripping off Hbombs "Xis garbage, and here's why" schtick. I had stopped watching her vids by then but was still subscribed and I saw that SU vid pop up in my dash one day and was like oh hey I wonder whats Lily Orchard been up too lately? and clicked on that video, went :yikes: and I peaced out lol

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

lily orchard hasn't so much changed as had her views amplified by spite.

she has always had functionally the same outlook on storytelling, specifically in regards to redemption and violence in media. she also gives stuff she likes way more of the benefit of the doubt and stuff she doesn't zero personal slack.

For reference, she angrily defends the big bang theory as having meaningful representation of an autistic person and family guy as not punching down with most if not all of it's humor but in fact the opposite! for you see, the Griffin family are treated as if they are always in the wrong so if they have a reaction towards something it is implicitly understood that you shouldn't take their side. this includes when a trans woman shows up and Brian pukes after learning such after sleeping with her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has she like. read a book?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

:psyduck:

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can I introduce you to the crippling earworm that is Titania's theme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saYCZ9jzLEA

Fa-la-LA-la-la-la...

The Primals version of that song is amazing.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gwen posted:

For reference, she angrily defends the big bang theory as having meaningful representation of an autistic person

It drives me nuts that people were mad about "nerd blackface" with that show and not yeah, the really really lame "Autism means genius virtuoso geek" stuff.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I would like to make a cultural observation, which is that during the Sardonyx plotline, the people on my feed that were super defending Pearl's actions to the point of saying "If you found,in any way, her actions to be alienating or repulsive, then you secretly hate lesbians and the mentally ill, that's a red flag" were Americans and those on my feed that were like "No, Garnet was really hurt by her actions, she's right in being angry with her, what the hell" were Brazilians.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

please don’t make me regret posting this but mike and jay did not like the new zack snyder movie very much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQiJuXN07E

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDA9B2qiK4

As someone with little relationship to Ariana Grande and no relationship to the related Disney tween shows the initial segments were a little uninteresting conceptually but CJ always carries it with energy. The last parts are a lot more interesting for sure. I do think that although the core themes of the video are reasonably clear, they could maybe have done with some more exploration than just bringing up Grande's comments on her choice of looks in the last 5 minutes and letting the audience draw the parallel to how CJ explores her acting decisions in her shows, but given the length of the video I kinda understand that decision. I think centering the conclusion on the juxtaposition with McCurdy instead was a better idea in many ways.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

watho posted:

please don’t make me regret posting this but mike and jay did not like the new zack snyder movie very much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQiJuXN07E

Huh, I honestly hadn't noticed the dead pixels and Aliens... homages. Eesh. Not a great film, but it's impressive to watch Bautista and Tig get blood from a stone with their performances.

*edit* poo poo, they're right, Tig as the lead would have made the whole thing so much better!

Arbite fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 25, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
This is it! The big one from Thewnicron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KJ89HWnJ1E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
New Civvie 11 video is out, this time it's about the new Duke Nukem 3D episode, Alien World Order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soYqDq9nGIg