Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Enos Cabell posted:

Hey, I played drums in junior high marching band! That was only 30+ years ago, I'm sure my technique is still fine!

Seriously though, from videos I've watched I think I'm holding them fine, but I do have a terrible tendency to drop my right hand stick on crossovers and stuff so I really should get someone in person to check things out.

Ah well rock on then. I wish I'd played drums in HS rather than the loving tuba. I used to tank my grade in one class every semester just so that I WOULDN'T have to march with one of those... I could have really used all the practice with just a single drum and LRLR rudiments. My snare game is still trying to catch up.

Anyway try putting a decent size mirror off to the side of your kit so you can see yourself in profile, that helps a lot in seeing what your hands are really doing, which you can't always see when you're right over them like they're stuck to your arms or something.

kumba posted:

I get hand cramps in my right hand in the muscle between my thumb and index finger (the one that runs down the forearm) and I can't tell if it's bad technique (probably), because of me being a computer-toucher for a living for the last 10 years and a lifelong PC & console gamer and it's carpal tunnel (definitely doesn't help), or a combination of both (almost certainly)

I used to hold mine between my thumb and index finger, but one time after playing for a while I went to grab a doorknob or something and when I squeezed right where the stick was it was like an electric shock running up my arm. I figured that wasn't supposed to happen, so I did a little research and watched some old pros playing and noticed that a lot of people seemed to gravitate over to holding the stick between their thumb and middle finger, so I started doing that and haven't had any issues since.

VVV an old pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNBn8lnisL4&t=2192s

Notice how is index fingers in matched grip are just kind of laying over the top of the stick, pointing down, rather than wrapping around it for support. Whole video is worth a watch IMO.

e: You know what, this is a good snipe :colbert:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
did another cover, this time some dance gavin dance

anyone have tips for increasing the volume recording through a daisy-chained combination of lineout from drums + audio import from rockband shoved through an iRig plugged into a phone? do i need a preamp or some poo poo somewhere in the chain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2KXKdqLLbM

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Can I get a recommendation for hearing protection? I am not used to wearing plugs in a musical context, and I wanna make sure I dont torch my other drums. Thanks.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Bored Online posted:

Can I get a recommendation for hearing protection? I am not used to wearing plugs in a musical context, and I wanna make sure I dont torch my other drums. Thanks.

Most people I know just use the colored disposable kind but they always fell out of my ears and were frustrating to use. I don’t have the specific brand in front of me but any of the standard reusable kind that cost $10-$20 work fine. Easier to put in and stay in but you’re gonna want to wash them of your gross ear gunk.

I started just using my in-ear monitors whenever I needed extra protection at a rehearsal (new room, guitarist got a new pedal/amp and has decided to crank it etc.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is what I use when I go to shows (when that was still a thing) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM6Q9XW Had the same pair for like 10 years now and they've held up great.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Enos Cabell posted:

This is what I use when I go to shows (when that was still a thing) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RM6Q9XW Had the same pair for like 10 years now and they've held up great.

can vouch for the efficacy of these as well, although i will say that for some reason these make my ears itch like crazy and your standard foam ear plugs do not do that to me

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

e-drummers - who uses in-ear monitors over headphones?

I've been using a pair of ATH-M50s for years, but I was thinking of changing to IEM to help block out the physical sound of hitting the pads better. Anyone have any recommendations? People seem to like the KZ ZS10.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I use Shure SE215 in-ears for backing tracks and click, as well as general isolation. I've been really happy with them for that and general music listening, especially for the price. You can check out the chi-fi space as well, you can get $50 in-ears with internals that are much more expensive.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Any recommendations on where to get sheet music for songs? Are there "alternative" methods or buying a book of Amazon the only way to go? Is online drummer.com worth it at $4 a pop?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Huh, onlinedrummer and/or drumscore.com used to have quite a few free sheets, I went through a few years ago and grabbed all the ones that were, but it seems they've only got a few free ones up now:
https://www.drumscore.com/sheet-music/free-drum-sheet-music

Even then I pretty frequently found differences or errors when I would go through one of the charts carefully and listen along with the studio track.

I'd be happy to post a list the 400+ I got and upload any you might be interested in, if that wouldn't be SHEET:filez:

Other than that I've never seen a decent non-tab resource for drum charts, most of the stuff I play now is from sheets I made myself based on Rock Band charts.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Today when I fired up my TD-11 and plugged the USB into my macbook the whole module stopped responding. None of the buttons do anything, no sound comes out. Without the USB plugged in I can jam as much as I want but as soon as Garageband recognizes it, the whole kit stops responding. No way to recover except to kill power.

What's weirder, if I don't set Garageband to use the TD11, then the module will be responsive but the only audio that comes out is a loop of the cymbal in the background with one new note per every 10 seconds or so, like it's slowly emptying a buffer of all the things I previously played. No way to fix it except to kill power.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Edit: Reinstalling the drivers worked. Thanks

Vino fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 16, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

no idea, you might want to try the edrums subreddit for that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vino posted:

Today when I fired up my TD-11 and plugged the USB into my macbook the whole module stopped responding. None of the buttons do anything, no sound comes out. Without the USB plugged in I can jam as much as I want but as soon as Garageband recognizes it, the whole kit stops responding. No way to recover except to kill power.

What's weirder, if I don't set Garageband to use the TD11, then the module will be responsive but the only audio that comes out is a loop of the cymbal in the background with one new note per every 10 seconds or so, like it's slowly emptying a buffer of all the things I previously played. No way to fix it except to kill power.

Has anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Try a different USB cable or port on the macbook. make sure all updates are installed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Roland finally released drivers for Big Sur / Mac OS 11. Plugged in the module straight into my laptop using USB and it worked like a charm, with virtually unnoticeable latency. Better than I could get through MIDI.

I had basically given up on VSTs but drat is it easy now. Now I’m seriously wondering if I should drop the cash for Superior Drummer 3.0...

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
One the YTers I follow recommended the moises.ai app. It's not too bad just to get some drumless tracks on the fly. You just grab the youtube link to the song, paste it in the app, wait a few minutes and you're in business.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

One of the Alesis toms in my frankensteined kit started going out, so I snagged a new Roland PDX-8 for $75 off ebay to replace it. Only problem is now I have to replace the other pads too, because holy poo poo the PDX feels so much better to play on. Went ahead and ordered two more PDX-8s to replace my other two toms, probably gonna hold off on the snare a while though until I can afford a good one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got my toms in, played around a bit and beat YYZ for the first time. So that's fun. You can kinda see the big monitor behind the hi-hats, I always play rock band with the kit sound cranked.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone have a good solution to losing a drumstick while playing?

Being old, ive got bone growing into my spine, whichmeans i occasionally lose my grip on one hand and my stick flies off

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

Being old, ive got bone growing into my spine, whichmeans i occasionally lose my grip on one hand and my stick flies off

I always keep my stick bag attached for a floor tom so I can just grab one quickly. I've also used something like this https://www.amazon.com/Promark-Quadruple-Pair-Stick-Depot/dp/B0002D0I0C clamped on my hi hat stand. Also useful for when a stick breaks and I can just toss it and grab a new one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Meskhenet posted:

Tie them to strings that go up and around inside your shirt like kids mittens

Or keep one or more spares at easily grabbable places (hanging from floor tom, on top of bass drum, etc.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Meskhenet posted:

solution is to BE A loving BOSS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw1643T0RD0&t=280s

Should be timestamped to the money shot, but the whole thing is worth a watch. Rumor has it that all the other band members' footage was lost or otherwise unusable, so for this one song it was all Nick all the time :rock:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok let me go to aliexpress and buy a zillion drum sticks. And a holder

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Meskhenet posted:

Ok let me go to aliexpress and buy a zillion drum sticks. And a holder

I have This Thing hanging off a cymbal mount and it's full of all the different sticks I bought when I was trying out different ones.

Edit: second option is to get the big sticks that the drummer from Halestorm used for a while at a concert I went to:

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 30, 2021

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Cool. ove ordered a heap of sticks, and a holder. will see how it goes once it all arrives

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I've been looking for an app that I can play along with, practice, learn sheet music better, all that, and Songster seems to fit the bill. Anyone pay for the pro version and feel it was worth it?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've never used the app, but I do most of the things it seems like the app can do manually in Audacity and can say being able to slow something down and play along and/or loop a section is a huge benefit when trying to learn something new. It seems to 'stick' a lot better (I just realized that's also a pun :smug: ) than playing into a void or to just a slowed down metronome click without any other music behind it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Impressive looking kit. For the price though, I feel like it should sound better than something I'd see at Best Buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCvlfp8cObA

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I feel like that one is intentionally heavily processed and muted for the style.

But yeah, it always seems like Roland demos use their worst stock kits. My TD-27 really does have some nice kits that can be made even better with just a little effort, but the default 01 kit certainly isn't great.

Anyway, this thing is way, way too expensive and you'd be so much better off getting a VAD 306 and a Pearl Mimic to drive it. That package right there is the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Anyway, this thing is way, way too expensive and you'd be so much better off getting a VAD 306 and a Pearl Mimic to drive it. That package right there is the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

I've been looking at the Mimic since it came out. Mainly just to see how long Pearl will keep it around or just come up with something else. I have an older Pearl ePro kit with RedBox, and thought upgrading to the Mimic, but the pads are a bit outdated.

Can you buy the VAD306 kit only?

Knowing me I'd just Frankenstein them all together since the ePro kit comes with a nice Pocaro type rack. hmmmm.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't think you can get a VAD kit-only, but you could flip the module for a few hundred.

I have a Frankenstein kit - old Alesis Strike components (the ones that aren't broken yet) mixed with my VAD 503. I might have posted the pic before but this is it. It's funny, I added the second floor tom because I had it, but it's mainly used as a place to set my phone. Just too far out of the way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I don't think you can get a VAD kit-only, but you could flip the module for a few hundred.

I have a Frankenstein kit - old Alesis Strike components (the ones that aren't broken yet) mixed with my VAD 503. I might have posted the pic before but this is it. It's funny, I added the second floor tom because I had it, but it's mainly used as a place to set my phone. Just too far out of the way.

Yes! i learned drumming in the 80s so kits with as many pieces as possible was always the goal. lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Won't post mine again since it's on the same page already, but frankenstein kits rule. Still wish I'd gone a bit bigger initially, but oh well.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

ik half y’all’re in the discord and’ve seen this already, but lemme dox myself here too

since i’m one of like four drummers who also engraves/edits sheet music who also has extensively studied the existing (quite outdated) drum notation references, i made a drum notation guide called the In The Pocket Guide To Drum Set Notation (also I finally have a website but only so I had a place to sell it lol)

if you’re one of the dirty music readers and hate the unreadable trash your musician guitarist friends keep handing you, bully them into buying and memorizing it

grab it here for Name Your Price (starting at 10$): https://courtneyannemcnally.com

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I am going to start practicing more drumming on my SamplePad Pro. I live in a row home and I already annoy the hell out of my neighbors for two hours a day playing trumpet and clarinet. Would machinery vibration dampening pads really cut down on the tippy tapping and stomp vibrations if I put them on each of the tripod legs and under the midi trigger I am using for a bass pedal?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For vibrations going down through the floor, any padding or even just thick carpet helps a lot. More substantial DIY solutions usually involve a platform on tennis balls. For dampening noise side-to-side you'd either need some kind of padding over the strike pads themselves or some kind of room treatment like putting blankets on the walls or something.

This guy talks too much but he has a couple of videos on sound dampening for practicing in an apartment:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Kxoa5K1vg

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Jazz Marimba posted:

ik half y’all’re in the discord and’ve seen this already, but lemme dox myself here too

since i’m one of like four drummers who also engraves/edits sheet music who also has extensively studied the existing (quite outdated) drum notation references, i made a drum notation guide called the In The Pocket Guide To Drum Set Notation (also I finally have a website but only so I had a place to sell it lol)

if you’re one of the dirty music readers and hate the unreadable trash your musician guitarist friends keep handing you, bully them into buying and memorizing it

grab it here for Name Your Price (starting at 10$): https://courtneyannemcnally.com

Cool as hell, gonna link it to my arranger buddies. Also there's a discord??

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

New New Fresh posted:

Cool as hell, gonna link it to my arranger buddies. Also there's a discord??

heck yeah^2, disco is from the Great Unnecessary Migration a few months ago

https://discord.gg/mJ6u6HJJ

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
After like a decade I got my first drum kit, a electric, alesis nitro mesh, the other day and I've fallen in love with playing. My issue is there's no musical teachers around where I live so I'm kinda bones on that part. Granted I have about 14 years of guitar and bass playing so I'm musically okay but I wanna get decent at drums. Are there any good online resources I should use?

Like everyone else I played boat loads of rock band so I think my very basic fundamentals are okay but I'd like to learn some theory and like when to hit the toms etc. Thanks goons

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fixins posted:

After like a decade I got my first drum kit, a electric, alesis nitro mesh, the other day and I've fallen in love with playing. My issue is there's no musical teachers around where I live so I'm kinda bones on that part. Granted I have about 14 years of guitar and bass playing so I'm musically okay but I wanna get decent at drums. Are there any good online resources I should use?

Like everyone else I played boat loads of rock band so I think my very basic fundamentals are okay but I'd like to learn some theory and like when to hit the toms etc. Thanks goons

i give online lessons (dm me), and/or start following some drum youtubers e.g. mike johnston (linear licks), rob brown (watch exclusively at 2x speed), stephen’s drum shed (lotta great older vids), drumeo, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I like Mike Johnston a lot. Good communicator and really seems to love playing.