Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They play with it a bit in Days Gone. During the first act the devs go out if their way to give your pal Boozer every death flag they can lay their hands on. Then he gets crippled but doesn't actually die, and has to figure out what to do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There was literally a trailer that centered around that plot point in Cyberpunk, so yeah, they weren't trying to make a secret out of it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

I'm crossposting this from the other thread to say that I hate the "improved" graphics of the mass effect rerelease.

I know it's an ancient complaint at this point, buy why not take the opportunity to make the ending better? There must be enough decent fan suggestions floating around at this point that they could have used a couple that weren't so utterly loving stupid. Plus they could have done away with those small child dream/hallucination sequences. But I guess charging $60 for a graphics mod is the easier option.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I generally had a good time with Outer Wilds, until the bullshit you have to do to actually beat the game. I hosed up and died partway through the steps, said gently caress it, and watched the ending online. The ending is basically cliche sci-fi anime ending #2. Still a good game, overall, but some game journalists get way too hyped for this stuff.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Persona 5 Strikers: Please stop having a 3 textbox 'cutscene' every 50 meters of level, and let me actually play your game. I get it. There are trashmobs to kill. I will kill them.

Lunar Suite has a new favorite as of 11:21 on May 25, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I know it's an ancient complaint at this point, buy why not take the opportunity to make the ending better? There must be enough decent fan suggestions floating around at this point that they could have used a couple that weren't so utterly loving stupid. Plus they could have done away with those small child dream/hallucination sequences. But I guess charging $60 for a graphics mod is the easier option.

EA is pretty famous for loving this poo poo up. I bet even the remaster had grander plans and got rushed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world. Another settlement needs our help.

I actually like doing that. Helping settlements is a good way of exploring the map, level up and find loot. I also like making the Wasteland a little bit less poo poo. I think it's nice to see the roads filling up with small caravans. One downside with that is that you have to chase after them to tell them that their settlements is safe.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, part of this obviously is that I want to get back to playing the game but I notice redundant dialogue in games a lot more.

exquisite tea posted:

Most video game writing suffers immensely for being overly reliant upon exposition. The number of words in any script dedicated purely to describing something for the player or where they should go next is honestly embarrassing. Death Stranding's dialogue was absolutely infuriating in this regard because every single character spoke in the same flat tone of voice and had perfect knowledge about the world, thus having no reason to discuss it with one another. Yet they did so at length because they were not actual characters, but mouthpieces for completely dry exposition.

Karma Tornado posted:

I've been playing Miles Morales and there's been a couple points where you have to find a video file on a phone or whatever, watch it, listen to Miles basically summarize it to himself out loud, then call his friend, summarize it to him, and listen to him say like "wow, that's, that's a lot"

yeah Ganke it sure was

Azathoth Prime posted:

While we're on the topic of games being overly verbose. I am really tired of games doling out dialog tiny dribbles at a time.

Animal Crossing (and Nintendo in general) is particularly bad about this, but most Japanese devs seem guilty of it to some extent.

Yep. Part of it is probably the same thing as excessive PowerPoints, people want to make sure they get their information across so they just throw everything and the kitchen sink in there, which ends up actually drowning out the useful info. The other part is that there's no apparent concern about runtime, page lengths, etc. No one saying "hey did you need to have the same sentence paraphrased three times in a row?"

When you look at how game writing is undervalued it makes sense, it's a shame. It has the knock-on effect of dragging down the pacing and therefore the entire feel of the game, even if you don't care about the story.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Lunar Suite posted:

Persona 5 Strikers: Please stop having a 3 textbox 'cutscene' every 50 meters of level, and let me actually play your game. I get it. There are trashmobs to kill. I will kill them.

Especially annoying with the warning they give you every time you even look at a dire Shadow. Yes game, I am aware of what that is. Yes, I am aware of how strong it is. I have been aware of these facts since the first dungeon, you don't have to keep reminding me when we're in the LAST dungeon.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Persona 5 strikers and the whole series in general seems to be built on a deep contempt for the player’s time, it’s crazy how much time it wastes repeating tutorials and dialogue.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

Yep. Part of it is probably the same thing as excessive PowerPoints, people want to make sure they get their information across so they just throw everything and the kitchen sink in there, which ends up actually drowning out the useful info. The other part is that there's no apparent concern about runtime, page lengths, etc. No one saying "hey did you need to have the same sentence paraphrased three times in a row?"

When you look at how game writing is undervalued it makes sense, it's a shame. It has the knock-on effect of dragging down the pacing and therefore the entire feel of the game, even if you don't care about the story.

Some of it is probably a desperate attempt to get the players to actually take information on board. How many times have you seen someone LP'ing a game and totally loving up because they ignored something that was clearly explained?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

I don’t know, if Indoctrination Theory is anything to go by the fan suggestions are even worse than what we actually got.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

christmas boots posted:

I don’t know, if Indoctrination Theory is anything to go by the fan suggestions are even worse than what we actually got.

I knew a guy who went hard for that and never talked about Mass Effect again after it turned out nope that's it, you Shepard can't gently caress Liara forever after

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

While I think an overreliance on utilizing dialogue for player tutorialization is definitely a thing, I would say most exposition inflation these days simply comes from mainstream games now being gigantic multimillion dollar projects with development teams numbering in the hundreds. Multiple systems (gameplay, assets, main narrative, side quests, etc.) are developed concurrently, sometimes in total isolation from one another, and without a strong editorial voice as your game director all those loose bits and bobs are going to be replicated multiple times. In a really rough product you can see where all the game systems have been hastily glued together, such as in Cyberpunk 2077's side missions where you get a text description of the gig before you arrive, an unignorable call from the questgiver about that same exact mission, a text update to your phone about the mission you're currently on, and then another call from the questgiver summarizing everything you just did.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
You can also go and see all of those random quest givers in their offices that are incredibly, and pointlessly, detailed if you don't want to use the phone or whatever.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm not disagreeing with the basic complaint, I just wanted to note my appreciation for complaining about talkiness via a beefy post quoting four separate other posts :golfclap:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Less Fat Luke posted:

You can also go and see all of those random quest givers in their offices that are incredibly, and pointlessly, detailed if you don't want to use the phone or whatever.

That feature really felt like cut content, like you originally had to talk to the fixer to get your gigs, instead of sorta running into them in the open world. I think I would have liked that better.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

bony tony posted:

That feature really felt like cut content, like you originally had to talk to the fixer to get your gigs, instead of sorta running into them in the open world. I think I would have liked that better.

Yeah it feels like they all would have intro quests but honestly the game is long as hell as it is, I'm absolutely fine without having to go meet them all.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Greedfall has a lot of problems but dang was it ever a bad idea to make the camera bob when you're walking in a third person game

It's the only piece of entertainment media that has ever given me nausea

Also the writing, pacing, art direction, combat, and character building were awful but at least they didn't make me sick

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I have a soft spot for Greedfall. It's not a great game, and I wouldn't even call it a good one. Still, it has that eurojank charm. The politically "neutral" colonists motivated first and foremost by profit are unambiguously the bad guys. It's fantastic.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
In the new Pokémon Snap, when I unlocked burst mode I thought it would be "hold down the capture button to continuously take photos," but instead it's an option you have to pause the game and manually change every time you do or don't want to take multiple photos in one press. Also, there's no control option that puts capture on ZR, only A or R. Can't use FPS controls to take a shot.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah it feels like they all would have intro quests but honestly the game is long as hell as it is, I'm absolutely fine without having to go meet them all.

Sure, but at least give me the option to go say hello. As it is you just drive into a new place and some yahoo calls you about doing business. Having a brief intro quest where they send you on a little personalized shadowrun might have been neat, and this game needs more interesting characters that stick around.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

christmas boots posted:

I have a soft spot for Greedfall. It's not a great game, and I wouldn't even call it a good one. Still, it has that eurojank charm. The politically "neutral" colonists motivated first and foremost by profit are unambiguously the bad guys. It's fantastic.

It's definitely not nearly as bad as it's made out to be

It's at least an interesting setting and it's not boring to explore

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Greedfall isn't really a good game, but it is pretty good for a game made by spiders.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's made by spiders? Dang, those are some talented arachnids.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Red Minjo posted:

In the new Pokémon Snap, when I unlocked burst mode I thought it would be "hold down the capture button to continuously take photos," but instead it's an option you have to pause the game and manually change every time you do or don't want to take multiple photos in one press. Also, there's no control option that puts capture on ZR, only A or R. Can't use FPS controls to take a shot.

I feel like having to rapidly depress the ZR button would get exhausting....but I guess that feeds into your other issue of not being able to burst-take photos.

As someone who loves eurojank, I really like Greedfall, flaws and all, but the camera is real weird. Like, in addition to the bobbing, it also has a weird deceleration when you move it around that I just can't get used to

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm not disagreeing with the basic complaint, I just wanted to note my appreciation for complaining about talkiness via a beefy post quoting four separate other posts :golfclap:

Lol, now introduce a flashback scene where I read all of those posts again and then summarize them afterwards and we've got ourselves part of a game script.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sunswipe posted:

Some of it is probably a desperate attempt to get the players to actually take information on board. How many times have you seen someone LP'ing a game and totally loving up because they ignored something that was clearly explained?

it's this

it's like how people post in the thread that some mechanic they didn't read is a thing dragging the game down, but like if you'd read the tutorial it wouldn't be a problem

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I've seen streamers get stuck trying to figure out how to do something for a while when text telling them to push the relevant button is right there on the screen the entire time. You just never can tell how hard you're going to have to beat someone over the head with something to get through.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Triarii posted:

I've seen streamers get stuck trying to figure out how to do something for a while when text telling them to push the relevant button is right there on the screen the entire time. You just never can tell how hard you're going to have to beat someone over the head with something to get through.

Neir fishing review.mp4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Triarii posted:

I tend to view this as a challenge to game developers to ask themselves “how can we make our systems more intuitive for the player” in more creative ways than “let’s have our supporting character tell you press A to jump” and smear pop-up text all over the screen.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Azathoth Prime posted:

While we're on the topic of games being overly verbose. I am really tired of games doling out dialog tiny dribbles at a time.

Animal Crossing (and Nintendo in general) is particularly bad about this, but most Japanese devs seem guilty of it to some extent.

Octopath Traveller was the worst I've ever seen for this. I started out reading every piece of dialogue carefully, because I got that it was about eight different characters stories intersecting. Then I realised those stories were mostly boring and started speed reading. Then I stopped reading entirely and kept mashing A to skip so I could get back to the game.

I swear, at one point I sat, stuck in dialogue hell, mashing the A button like the world's worst QTE for 20 minutes straight. Hammering it as fast as I could, mouth agape that anyone could sit through this drivel delivered in piecemeal drips.

Then I had to go and talk to someone else and the same thing happened. I quit and never looked back.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I tend to view this as a challenge to game developers to ask themselves “how can we make our systems more intuitive for the player” in more creative ways than “let’s have our supporting character tell you press A to jump” and smear pop-up text all over the screen.

the more text you have in your game, the less likely any particular piece is going to be read.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Triarii posted:

I've seen streamers do this precisely because they were streaming. As in, they miss key mechanics and plot points because half their attention is on the waterfall of chat messages and donations flowing by.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a real ouroboros of a problem. People see a million dumb rear end tutorials so they ignore them all, so Dev's put in a million more cause people keep ignoring them.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the last of us 2's "enemies cry out each other's names" mechanic seems half-baked. i've already killed two dana's and i'm barely six hours in

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Oxxidation posted:

the last of us 2's "enemies cry out each other's names" mechanic seems half-baked. i've already killed two dana's and i'm barely six hours in

I've been in school classes with three Michaels. Sometimes names really are that common.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Very unrealistic for seattle to have two Danas I agree

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if a game's going to treat me like i'm stupid enough to care whether my ten thousandth CGI-rendered corpse has a name then the least it could do is change up the voice clips

the lack of subtlety in TLOU2 is suffocating. it starts with the very first note you find from seth and then just pissed down its own leg at the otherwise very nice museum flashback. I CAN'T BEAR WHAT I'VE BECOME, lay it on a little thicker why don't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TLOU2 has a lot of good gameplay but you kinda have to go into it prepared for the writers to repeatedly beat you over the head with a stick labeled "REVENGE IS BAD, THIS STICK REPRESENTS REVENGE, DO YOU REALIZE HOW BAD IT IS TO BE REPEATEDLY BEATEN BY IT"