Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Did anyone say Tony Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muGWtX8e7g

Nice selection of awards on display as well, from last century but nevermind, form is temporary but class is permanent.

Mind you, looking at the comments, the faithful are absolutely lapping it up. This is never going to die.

"Quantum, Quasar, and Virtual AI"

*groans* Quantum and quasar? Seriously?

Quantum, Quasar and Quack maybe.

edit:
https://v.redd.it/2ikbvefacy071/DASH_480.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Someone in the Steam thread pointed out that Capcom is selling invincibility cheats as DLC for some arcade collection of theirs: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1560440/Capcom_Arcade_Stadium_Invincibility/

Clearly, CIG is falling behind in monetization

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
title: The Sweet Release of Star Citizen

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EnlightenedUnsungEstuarinecrocodile-mobile.mp4

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Hmmmm, server meshing tier 0 was looking good, till it wasn't.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What exciting wonders has Ole Tony Bullshit got for us this time?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

smellmycheese posted:

What exciting wonders has Ole Tony Bullshit got for us this time?

The usual smorgasbord of dreams.txt, blue sky thinking, and cobblers masquerading as deep thought.

Noticed one thing - he seems to be walking back the "living, breathing NPC" stuff of previous CitizenCon snorefests. He's now hinting that only the "important" aspects of the NPCs' lives will be simulated, not all the "clocking off at 5.30 and going home to the wife and kids" crap which citizens love to wave about as proof of his genius.

He also continually mispronounces "attributes" which makes me think he doesn't know what it means.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Was he the one that used the word "quanta" instead of "NPC", which all the citizens interpreted as the game's economy being powered by QUANTUM PHYSICS?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Was he the one that used the word "quanta" instead of "NPC", which all the citizens interpreted as the game's economy being powered by QUANTUM PHYSICS?

Yeah that's him. If you can bear to watch the whole presentation linked above, it'll give you an insight into how the rambling old pothead thinks he's going to make the background simulation run sometime in the far future.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there footage of anyone actually completing multiple missions in a row without crashing/being killed by physics?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

punishedkissinger posted:

Is there footage of anyone actually completing multiple missions in a row without crashing/being killed by physics?

Not exactly, this is all mostly theoretical pie in the sky stuff, although he does demonstrate yet another bloody analysis tool they've developed (apparently - who knows if it's real or not) which shows how missions play out in the real world (abandoned/crashed/completed failed/completed succeeded etc) which could be the information you seek young Jedi.

This whole presentation comes off like someone trying to convince, oh I dunno, investors or such like that there is actually deep thought and actual development going on behind the scenes.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

For anyone wondering, here's the In the Hall of the Mountain King timestamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nMUr8Rt2AI&t=98s

(1:37)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Yeah that's him. If you can bear to watch the whole presentation linked above, it'll give you an insight into how the rambling old pothead thinks he's going to make the background simulation run sometime in the far future.

Pro Tip: for Christ’s sake don’t watch it

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Jonny Shiloh posted:

The usual smorgasbord of dreams.txt, blue sky thinking, and cobblers masquerading as deep thought.

Noticed one thing - he seems to be walking back the "living, breathing NPC" stuff of previous CitizenCon snorefests. He's now hinting that only the "important" aspects of the NPCs' lives will be simulated, not all the "clocking off at 5.30 and going home to the wife and kids" crap which citizens love to wave about as proof of his genius.

He also continually mispronounces "attributes" which makes me think he doesn't know what it means.

Did he promise that if you killed a shopkeeper, his family would nervously wait for him to get home late after hearing about a shooting at his workplace on the news, then collapse in grief after a police officer visits to tell them about his death, followed by realistically-simulated sons and daughters having behavioral issues and doing poorly in school?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

let me not disparage those who love cocaine because it is loving amazing and if I didn't love the stuff to the point of maddening addiction I'd still be slamming rails on seedy bar tops and posh bathrooms

but chris roberts must have been like 5 seconds away from going DO YOU HAVE SOME loving COKE MAN, COCAINE, DO YOU HAVE IT, JESUS CHRIST as some poor soul kept trying to talk about some silly space game no one gives a flying gently caress about lol

I grew up in LA and Hollywood in particular (my mom was a movie producer/exec) and I forget not everyone has had the awesome experiences of having a C list actor offer to snort some cocaine outta their folded ball skin

you hang out with them enough the cues you pick up from people who wanna go do some gaggers is almost immediate and overwhelming

Same, but not in LA and in some shady houses and having a train doing lines off my tits.

But yeah I'm sure it must have been harrowing for the great CR to barely be able to keep himself together long enough to stop thinking about how he'll get his next fix. He always looked like he just did a few rounds during his stage scenes after those first couple of years too.

It's always funny that money and drugs (or the polar opposite lack of money) always seem to find each other and make magic happen.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Mirificus posted:

The mods of this subreddit have verified my credentials in the past for the public, when I spoke up about all the dumb poo poo people were recommending as "tweaks" to do to their OS.

I work for Microsoft.
[/quote]

Wow, this is a blast from the past.
I love that I can tell this is the rock-climbing, "I work at a Fortune 50", 'ladies man' douchebag from just this post.
I promise not to go digging on him or anything, but I noticed that while I was verifying it was him, he's added being a "strong supertaster" to his repertoire in his never-ending search for uniqueness.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is it THAT guy?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Did anyone say Tony Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2muGWtX8e7g

Nice selection of awards on display as well, from last century but nevermind, form is temporary but class is permanent.

Mind you, looking at the comments, the faithful are absolutely lapping it up. This is never going to die.

So this is the guy maintaining quality from the 70/80/90's then?

However if I recall, back in the 80's when games mostly came on cartridges, they only sold them when they worked pretty much 100% of them time, and you didn't have the joys of the internet to download patches.

That only started to pop up around mid to late 90's, but people still tried to deliver a fully working experience.

Also nobody sold the construction of their game to consumers. They sold a complete game during all of these decades.

So Star Citizen is the polar opposite of all things quality during these decades, though I cannot speak to gaming quality in the 70's... I only started in the 80's with Atari and Commodores and such.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The Titanic posted:

But yeah I'm sure it must have been harrowing for the great CR to barely be able to keep himself together long enough to stop thinking about how he'll get his next fix. He always looked like he just did a few rounds during his stage scenes after those first couple of years too.
Cocaine-induced overconfidence might explain a lot when it comes to this project.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Stir Catizen.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Aye, looking forward to the day people start to realise if they blow up their ship and it needs to be rebuild it might take a few days or weeks to get it back... IF there are no large and lasting conflicts like showcased here, blocking supplies to rebuild their Cap ship :D

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

punishedkissinger posted:

:dafuq:

I guess it depends on if you consider a mission as being "basic survival without being killed by random things".

Mission 1: Successfully get off the bed
Mission 2: Walk to the door w/o dying
Mission 3: the door opens
Mission 4: find the elevator

Etc etc

Otherwise no... I don't think I've yet to see somebody do multiple game-missions w/o something killing them between the missions.

It's that quality crobbler is a perfectionist at in his video game he's always wanted that he plays non-stop.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

William Bear posted:

Did he promise that if you killed a shopkeeper, his family would nervously wait for him to get home late after hearing about a shooting at his workplace on the news, then collapse in grief after a police officer visits to tell them about his death, followed by realistically-simulated sons and daughters having behavioral issues and doing poorly in school?

Eventually there will be dozens of NPCs assaulting you with the Ignacio Montoya lines as you wonder which random guards family this was from some mission months ago.

It's surely going to be earth shattering and you'll need to deeply consider your actions if you kill that npc standing on a chair or not, knowing their family will come after you later.

Deep ai.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Eventually there will be dozens of NPCs assaulting you with the Ignacio Montoya lines as you wonder which random guards family this was from some mission months ago.

Was he in Better Call Saul?
Nacho Montoya?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Was he in Better Call Saul?
Nacho Montoya?

After a Google it's Inigo Montoya. Sorry for my bad spelling.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

William Bear posted:

The npc life simulation is of a space libertarian/fascist future. The family gets the shopkeeper's life insurance money and use it to invest into space bitcoin.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

trucutru posted:

The npc life simulation is of a space libertarian/fascist future. The family gets the shopkeeper's life insurance money and use it to invest into space bitcoin.
The family never learns what happened to him, because he was too ashamed to admit to them he was part of Star Citizen. His widow one day finds a collection of spaceship jpgs on his computer and then it dawns upon her that she's only quantum virtual AI in the simulated 'Verse.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Shigeru Miyamoto supposedly once suggested to the developers of Goldeneye 64 that the game should end with James Bond visiting all the people he shot over the course of the game in the hospital and shaking their hands.

That would still require a less ridiculous level of background simulation than some statements from Star Citizen devs have promised.

.random
May 7, 2007

The Titanic posted:

After a Google it's Inigo Montoya. Sorry for my bad spelling.

I very briefly shuddered at “Ignacio” and suddenly felt myself transforming into my gamer dad final form :supaburn: Sudden... uncontrollable... urge... to defend things on the internet and spend entire month’s paycheck on jpegs

please. help.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
From a few pages back, but the bit that cracked me up in that YouTube review of SC was when he listed 64-bit coordinate system as as the first of the key techs they are working on which will enable SC...

Yes, their much vaunted revolutionary 32-bit precision is what's blocking SC.

Shazback fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 25, 2021

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The Titanic posted:

It's surely going to be earth shattering and you'll need to deeply consider your actions if you kill that npc standing on a chair or not, knowing their family will come after you later.

Deep ai.

Naughty Dog stole the idea for The Last of Us 2 from Chris Roberts.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
If someone survived the tony zzz video, what the gently caress is even "virtual AI"? I know it is some made up bullshit that doesn't mean anything, but what does he think it is?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

If someone survived the tony zzz video, what the gently caress is even "virtual AI"? I know it is some made up bullshit that doesn't mean anything, but what does he think it is?

i found the video to be unironically interesting, but i wonder how much of that will reflect into the gameplay. this sounds sick for a strategy game though.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

marumaru posted:

i found the video to be unironically interesting, but i wonder how much of that will reflect into the gameplay. this sounds sick for a strategy game though.

I made the effort to listen to it for almost 5 minutes and this seems like overkill even if they were making some simcity type of game. But they're making space shooty game. I hope this guy at least has a lot of fine doing this, because it looks completely unusable

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
any news on when the pet collection and battle system will be added?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

:reddit:Zurovec. Lord of Quanta.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beexoffel posted:

Stir Catizen.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
Possibility 1: a random, stoned-out guy who last published a game in 1996, and who is such an irrelevant cipher in the world of CS and game development that he doesn't even have a wikipedia page, is successfully designing the most sophisticated network of viable AIs in the history of man and plans on using them to sell hot dogs in a bang-bang spaceship game

vs.

Possibility 2: a random, stoned-out guy who last published a game in 1996, and who is such an irrelevant cipher in the world of CS and game development the he doesn't even have a wikipedia page, took some ayahuasca and started talking to his office plants and the video intern filmed it because they had no other options for content that month

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bad Purchase posted:

any news on when the pet collection and battle system will be added?

Two weeks!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deskeletonized posted:

Possibility 1: a random, stoned-out guy who last published a game in 1996, and who is such an irrelevant cipher in the world of CS and game development that he doesn't even have a wikipedia page, is successfully designing the most sophisticated network of viable AIs in the history of man and plans on using them to sell hot dogs in a bang-bang spaceship game

vs.

Possibility 2: a random, stoned-out guy who last published a game in 1996, and who is such an irrelevant cipher in the world of CS and game development the he doesn't even have a wikipedia page, took some ayahuasca and started talking to his office plants and the video intern filmed it because they had no other options for content that month

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hey! Ayahuasca and Temazcal are cool (just don't be a loving gringo and go to the places the locals go instead of the tourist traps) and should not be associated with Tony Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I was curious about Star Citizen on Amazon but apparently now it's that they are using Lumberyard which is a free game engine from Amazon? So have they already completely switched over from cryengine?

I was confused before, thought Lumberyard was a poorly-named games service from Amazon, not an engine.