Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone had any experience with the Vittoria Terreno Dry tires? Reviews keep leading me back there as an all-rounder. They seem to do well enough in the loose stuff, and might have better on-road mannerisms than the Gravelking SK.

I really just want to be able to hook up cleanly on the steep grades without feeling like I'm pedaling through mud on the pavement. These are kinda antithetical, but that's where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the Vittoria Terreno Dry tires? Reviews keep leading me back there as an all-rounder. They seem to do well enough in the loose stuff, and might have better on-road mannerisms than the Gravelking SK.

I really just want to be able to hook up cleanly on the steep grades without feeling like I'm pedaling through mud on the pavement. These are kinda antithetical, but that's where I live.

They are good and fast in a straight line.

They are fine cornering hard with intention offroad.

They are sketchy as gently caress cornering on pavement, because the transition from no knobs to sideknobs is very unpredictable.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bicievino posted:

They are good and fast in a straight line.

They are fine cornering hard with intention offroad.

They are sketchy as gently caress cornering on pavement, because the transition from no knobs to sideknobs is very unpredictable.

Interesting. Do you think there's a better option for my conditions?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FogHelmut posted:

I would suggest you jump of a bike ramp with said bike, but that would make you sick as gently caress.

So no

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't think the drys are going to provide much traction for either climbing loose stuff or braking on it either. They're pretty slick down the center.

I generally like my ramblers. They're pretty low profile still and have dense little knobs through the center. Before that I was on nanos, which had more overall grip and still rolled well thanks to the continuous center strip.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

I would suggest you jump of a bike ramp with said bike, but that would make you sick as gently caress.

So no

:drat:

jamal posted:

I don't think the drys are going to provide much traction for either climbing loose stuff or braking on it either. They're pretty slick down the center.

I generally like my ramblers. They're pretty low profile still and have dense little knobs through the center. Before that I was on nanos, which had more overall grip and still rolled well thanks to the continuous center strip.

I had Schwalbe G-One Allrounds, and they were super fast on pavement, but the front would slide through turns in the loose stuff, and the rear would spin out trying to climb the steep stuff. I went full the other direction with WTB Resolute and they lock on to everything and are super confident and fun on gravel, but they are basically mountain bike tires on pavement.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

Conti Terra Speed maybe?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

bicievino posted:

Conti Terra Speed maybe?

That was on my list but I read one bad review. I'll have to revisit.

I probably should just shut up and ride.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Obsessing over gravel tires is never ending. Just pick one and ride it imo.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I just wanted to say that today I am highly appreciative of forest road maintenance.

Today we went for a fairly standard gravel lunch loop, and got some fresh water laid down for us, after we had to step off the road a bit to let the truck by

and then discovered that the lovely part of the ride with consistent horrible washboarding has been freshly graded and is now absolutely glorious

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

FogHelmut posted:

That was on my list but I read one bad review. I'll have to revisit.

I probably should just shut up and ride.

I just raced on 35mm Terra Speeds.

Install: Not great. They went on Zipp 202 NSWs easily without levers and I could easily pull the bead out of the center channel with my hands so I knew it was going to be a challenge to seat the beads. Even the compressor didn't work and I had to seat the tire with a tube, unseat one side, pull the tube and then use the compressor again. They sealed up quite nicely after that...hardly any air loss overnight. My front tire has a noticeable kink/wobble in on section but I don't feel it while riding so it hasn't been cause for more concern.

Ride: They are very fast on pavement and no issues cornering with the low profile knobs. I averaged almost 19mph over 88mi 4800ft (40mi loose gravel, 48mi paved roads.) They were a bit squirrely in the gravel so I'm not sure if they were the right tire choice in the end. If I were to race again, I would probably size up to the 40mm or try a slightly more aggressive tire.

Wear: The knock on these is the wear rate on pavement...only one ride in and I can already see noticeable wear down the middle of the rear tire.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Hard to beat the GK SKs for pavement cornering but with some bite in the dirt. Teravail Cannonballs are pretty good, maybe a bit more dirt-friendly than pavement friendly, but good pavement cornering.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've been happy with my Schwalbe Hurricanes as an everyday mixed terrain tire. The smooth center tread is good for commutes, and the chunkier side knobs do fine on girt and gravel roads. No idea how they are descending/high speed cornering though, everything here is flat as hell. Also I'm slow.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Anyone in here have any experience in gravel riding loggin roads? I live in coastal oregon and there is a poo poo load of 'em loggin roads but i dunno feel about riding them since they are technically "private" property

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

vikingstrike posted:

Obsessing over gravel tires is never ending. Just pick one and ride it imo.

Yup. I'm in OC so all we have is MTB trails. I like to get in a bit of road and there is always some rocky single track. I just said gently caress it and put on 40mm Ramblers front and rear. They roll good enough on the pavement and keep me from making GBS threads bricks in the loose stuff. And there is a lot of loose stuff here.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

Anyone in here have any experience in gravel riding loggin roads? I live in coastal oregon and there is a poo poo load of 'em loggin roads but i dunno feel about riding them since they are technically "private" property

Most timber companies allow access to their land and roads as long as you're not getting close to actual logging operations. Also don't park in front of gates. Some companies in some places require you to get or buy a permit to go there.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

jamal posted:

Most timber companies allow access to their land and roads as long as you're not getting close to actual logging operations. Also don't park in front of gates. Some companies in some places require you to get or buy a permit to go there.

Yes, be sure to double check on this. If you're on the timber company's private land, there's a good chance they'll at least want you to fill out a waiver form online saying you don't expect the company to rescue you if something goes wrong or hold them liable for anything. The most popular timberland near me for riding charges $65 for an annual permit or $10 a day.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

jamal posted:

gohuskies posted:

Yes, be sure to double check on this. If you're on the timber company's private land, there's a good chance they'll at least want you to fill out a waiver form online saying you don't expect the company to rescue you if something goes wrong or hold them liable for anything. The most popular timberland near me for riding charges $65 for an annual permit or $10 a day.

Thank you guys, the local (to me) company requires a free permit to bike/hike/bow hunt on their land. so imma do that

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Only a little over 10+ miles/1000’, but it was a nice way to spend two hours. Finding longer routes in SoCal to piece together a long ride - without having 10k of climb - seems to be the biggest challenge.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Yup. I'm in OC so all we have is MTB trails. I like to get in a bit of road and there is always some rocky single track. I just said gently caress it and put on 40mm Ramblers front and rear. They roll good enough on the pavement and keep me from making GBS threads bricks in the loose stuff. And there is a lot of loose stuff here.

Anza Borrego posted:

Only a little over 10+ miles/1000’, but it was a nice way to spend two hours. Finding longer routes in SoCal to piece together a long ride - without having 10k of climb - seems to be the biggest challenge.

That is the problem. You're either on paved roads or climbing a 20% grade. You're slogging on the pavement or skidding on the dirt. I'm going to end up like some Jeep bro and stopping when I get off the pavement to air down.

Anyway for South OC, Trabuco Creek Trail is as flat and long as you're going to get between O'Neill and San Juan Capistrano. Its still downhill toward the ocean and uphill toward the mountain, but doesn't have many major inclines. You can probably connect that on up to Santiago Peak, or go the other way with some surface streets to San Juan Creek Trail (paved) down to Dana Point.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
https://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-482-140-pace

Ordered these in 27.5 x 2.1, will report back

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Whahappen
Mar 27, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

One more opinion for you on the Terreno drys, as they came on my Felt Breed.

Pretty great all around tire, till the rear wears down. For me that seemed to happen rather quickly, within 800 miles of mixed surfaces. It got along fine for my use for another 400 miles till I swapped them, but it was a slick down the center and would spin up or lock up under breaking fairly easy. The side knobs didn't wear as fast, so they were still surprisingly good on mild singletrack so long as you were careful. The front wear was fine though, guessing 1 front for every 2 rears for my use.

I also noticed the sketchy-ness on the road when pushed (leaned?) but as I don't push it on the road very hard, no big deal to me. They do roll pretty good on pavement, but they seem to be skewed more for dirt from a wear and handling perspective.

I replaced them with the new Maxxis Receptor, which gives up the singletrack prowess but is faster on pavement and gravel for me, which is most of my riding with that bike. Still can do mild singletrack, just have to be a bit more careful. Less sketchy on pavement too, the few times I've leaned on them, and wear seems decent, but to soon to tell for sure. Not sure they'd be what you're looking for though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally done one gravel event and already me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Since getting some WTB Resolutes I haven't even thought about getting other tyres. They just do exactly what I need them to. Plus they come in tan wall.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

This is because all gravel tires suck in their own way and make compromises. The thing your tires sucked on in your last ride is the problem you need to fix.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Anza Borrego posted:

I XC ski’d that road two months ago!

Here’s a pretty good San Diego route, nothing too technical: https://strava.app.link/VWeUg9w5zgb

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

jamal posted:

yeah I really want to like the dry's and in the right conditions they are very fast, but climbing can be tricky with keeping enough weight on the rear to prevent it slipping and definitely had some sketchy times breaking the rear tire free too easily braking
also my worst crashes on them were cornering on gravel and while a lot of it was probably my fault and the conditions were bad I can't help but think the position of the side knobs really doesn't give them enough bite, at least as much as you'd think from the size of them.
I never really noticed them feeling sketchy cornering on pavement but I never really tried to push them there I think

The Rambler is a solid tire as an allarounder, I run one on the back and a Ravager in the front to help assuage my fears of washing out my front again (well and it in general is kinda loose over hard here, not a ton of just "dirt")

Biggus Duckus posted:

Hard to beat the GK SKs for pavement cornering but with some bite in the dirt. Teravail Cannonballs are pretty good, maybe a bit more dirt-friendly than pavement friendly, but good pavement cornering.

Also not a big fan of the SK's cornering on dirt as they don't really have much in the way of side knobs

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fellas when going downhill, and you want to clear the way for cars. Make sure you dont underestimate the depth of them holes.

The bike is ok

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:dumb:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Good gravel yesterday. I almost didn't make it because I was drinking beers the night before and have had a pretty long week of bike workouts, trail work, actual work, and also a bike race. But Ivan said he wanted to go way up in this one area to see if we could get through the other side, and I figured I'd better go as I know my way around that mess of forest roads pretty well.

It starts out with about 3k feet of climbing and then you're up there in what I guess you'd call the miller divide area.

There is a miller divide trail and while you can go around on a road I kind of convinced the group to take the trail which had a little bit of downfall and in places is too steep and narrow to ride in that direction on cross bikes. But it's pretty neat

Once we got to the end of that bit and came out at another road junction we were looking at a bunch of snow where the next section of trail went, so we took the road instead. Which also had snow on it

But at that point we're close to the other side and the way down so we walked a bit. Once we made it through we couldn't even get to the end of where the trail comes out and had to go back and down another way, so it's definitely good we didn't try that.

Then for extra credit we climbed back over on a lower trail/road instead of going all the way out the road which comes out on the end of town, despite being pretty much out of food and water. Then got tacos and beer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5386398572

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Well that puts mine to shame lol

Aliso Woods Canyon up to Top of the World and down to Laguna Beach. Back on the roads. 42 mph is kinda scary on knobby tires.

I set 19 PRs on Strava so I'm happy.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 31, 2021

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Did 4 days of gravel, 2 hours away from Santiago (Andes mountains):

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Holy balls that looks amazing. What kind of elevation are you dealing with there?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
loving gorgeous

how do you like the 3T?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Highest point was at 2155m, starting at 600-700 above sea level.

As for the bike, it’s great, love it. It’s very fast, climbs great and is very responsive. It’s well made, only thing I don’t like it the rear hanger that comes fully off when you take off the wheel.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Fuuuuuuuck. These pics are sublime.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Punctured my tire and punctured my knee. Both Stan's and my platelets clotted to stop each.

Ran over something and put two small punctures in my rear tire. Had a big lump of Stan's and dirt on it. Didn't lose much pressure at all.

I'm really not sure how much to refill it with?

My knee came later on the descent. Took a 3/4 gravel on sand switchback too sharp and the front tire gave out. Woops.

Here's a photo of a flat area. Climb was to that radar tower in the top right.

Edit - also need to remove Stan's from my leg hair

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Remove your leg hair to solve this problem in the future