Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

would have joined up if i knew it was just ninja warrior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain-science-idUSKBN23X2HQ

quote:

MADRID (Reuters) - Spanish virologists have found traces of the novel coronavirus in a sample of Barcelona waste water collected in March 2019, nine months before the COVID-19 disease was identified in China, the University of Barcelona said on Friday.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
given how virulent this thing is, if it were around in March why did it take 9 months to have a flareup somewhere? it’s not like Madrid is a small village with no real through traffic

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Probability.

Critical Mass.

Doesn't matter how virulent it is if only a single person is infected with it and makes little to no contact.

It also doesn't have any obvious symptoms at first besides a really bad flu, or it can be entirely asymptomatic.

You aren't going to have a constant self sustained outbreak until it infects enough people to keep infecting people at a faster rate than people recovering it from.

Edit: Also the initial strain of the virus isn't nearly as virulent as the current strains going around various countries.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

indigi posted:

given how virulent this thing is, if it were around in March why did it take 9 months to have a flareup somewhere? it’s not like Madrid is a small village with no real through traffic

the sample from march was just a single positive among a bunch of negative tests. it was likely just a false positive

the samples from september to december ive not seen an explanation for

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zedhe Khoja posted:

In 2014 Protasevich is reported to have travelled to eastern Ukraine, where he joined the Azov Battalion, a far-right group that fought Russian-backed separatists.
https://twitter.com/kooleksiy/status/1396992252640174083

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

open-source intelligence, but good

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bellingdog

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of, they've got articles up with his mom talking about how he was such a good boy.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2021/05/24/i-m-proud-of-my-son-he-s-a-hero

quote:

“I’m proud of my son. He’s a hero. He’s a man who has always stood for justice only. A man who has always stood for truthful coverage of events in [Belarus],” Natalya tells Meduza. “Roma is a very strong guy. He’s honest. I hope that he will withstand the tests that he has to go through now. Despite the horror that is taking place in the country, we firmly believe that justice will prevail.”

Asked about claims from pro-government Telegram channels that Roman Protasevich was involved in the war in eastern Ukraine, his mother emphasizes that he covered the conflict as a freelance journalist. “This is some kind of stupidity. We’ve already been asked these questions many times. He went there as a photographer and freelance journalist,” she reiterates.

Edit: She also mentioned his buddy a few times saying how it was through him her son got involved, and that friend is helping them out and supporting them in Poland right now. I'd probably do more searching on that if I wasn't so laxy.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 06:34 on May 25, 2021

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
https://twitter.com/JoeXu/status/1396910262494457856

lol this owns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

he has been compromised to a permanent contrition

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

lol this is madness

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The lab leak thing is obviously just another card like xinjiang and hk to forment attitudes against china and justify billions of dollars going to defence industries. If you can't see that or you're just asking questions, congrats the propaganda did it's job.

Seriously, if it came out tomorrow that it was an accidental leak, what would be different? Would that have prevented it? Should we stop researching coronaviruses? Some people are really dumb as hell.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mirello posted:

Should we stop researching coronaviruses?

the wuhan lab at the center of the lab leak hypothesis was engaged in a specific kind of research that involves deliberately bioengineering new kinds of coronaviruses that until recently was banned and when it started getting funding there was a lot of concern from relevant scientists that this was a terrible idea due to this exact hypothetical situation

the chinese specifically did not spearhead this research it was internationally led and fauci among others were those supporting it and your misunderstanding of the actual context behind the controversy is a pretty direct result of this entire line of questioning being suppressed for the last year anywhere aside from fringe right wing publications

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

the wuhan lab at the center of the lab leak hypothesis was engaged in a specific kind of research that involves deliberately bioengineering new kinds of coronaviruses that until recently was banned and when it started getting funding there was a lot of concern from relevant scientists that this was a terrible idea due to this exact hypothetical situation

the chinese specifically did not spearhead this research it was internationally led and fauci among others were those supporting it and your misunderstanding of the actual context behind the controversy is a pretty direct result of this entire line of questioning being suppressed for the last year anywhere aside from fringe right wing publications

Lol, gimme a source big guy, and even if I accept everything you've said it means nothing. We will never know the origin of the coronavirus. There are signs pointing in all directions. There's no nuance to it, any pushing of the theory that it was caused by a Chinese lab is an attempt to blame china and forment war. All your foot notes don't mean poo poo in the real world.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tired: believe science

wired: lol science isnt real nerd

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's controversial because we know it's a dud - the controversy is that it's being dug up again at all!

like, okay, let's accept that this is all a ploy to blame the virus on China, right? And so when Trump made noises about it early in 2020, the idea was shut down as racist and antagonistic.

so why is it getting brought back up again? if it was so unacceptable that ZeroHedge got banned from Twitter from even suggesting it, and Vox did an explainer on why it's a dumb theory (an explainer that they've since carefully stealth-edited to backpedal their 2020-era claims enough to still make it compatible with their more recent coverage), why is the news covering it again now?

the answer, of course, is that the US still want to blame the virus on China, they're just trying to do it rationally and scientifically, with intel reports and "teams on the ground" and "eyewitness accounts" instead of just Something Trump Said

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

the ... (American) lab at the center of the lab leak hypothesis was engaged in a specific kind of research that involves deliberately bioengineering new kinds of coronaviruses that until recently was banned and when it started getting funding there was a lot of concern from relevant scientists that this was a terrible idea due to this exact hypothetical situation

the chinese specifically did not ... do this research it was led (by) fauci among others and those supporting it

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

glenn is super big on pointing out how the media fails to be consistent and how it marginalizes stories and people for clearly ideological reasons, i don’t he’s even talking about the validity of the lab leak thing here

i dunno man

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1392143289348935683?s=21

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1392141889835606021?s=21

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1390799972476538882?s=21

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Some more context on this, seems to be a sticking point for people.

https://twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/1396885325021122565?s=19

https://twitter.com/pauloCanning/status/1396907368114425862?s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

something else worth noting is that if the lab leak theory had been debunked a year ago as opposed to just being censored it wouldnt be possible for the powers that be to bring it up now again for cynical political purposes the influence of obviously cynical political motivation in covid reporting is a big reason why so many people mistrust it now

and if i seem insufficiently tankie at the moment a big reason why ive been seeing china more favorably lately is that theyve been pretty open about their failures with the outbreaks even though doing so was chum in the water for mainstream western news before covid went global its a huge contrast to western institutions who rather than admit to any institutional failing just find increasingly convoluted ways to blame racism instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Lol *handwave*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

open-source intelligence, but good
the guy pointing out the azov connection has written for bellingcat too. there's trouble in troll town

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
Is there a connection with Jake Harahan/Popular Front and NATO also?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is there anyone in the Ukrainian "civil war" who isn't fash? Seems like in large part it's a meat grinder for Nazis.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is there anyone in the Ukrainian "civil war" who isn't fash? Seems like in large part it's a meat grinder for Nazis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cA9cGUGr00

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

drat D&D looks different, must be a new stylesheet

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this guy looks like Kyle Rittenhouse

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://tekdeeps.com/belarus-invites-extradition-of-founder-of-nexta-telegram-channel-to-poland-world-news-unian/
https://twitter.com/pr0tez/status/1358349371482525698

quote:

“This morning I woke up to reports that Belarus had sent documents for my extradition from Poland. And I laughed very hard. Dear special services, I have been living in another country for almost 5 months. So send your papers to anyone and as many as you want,”

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:18 on May 25, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

je1 healthcare posted:

Trump being a bigot and a coronavirus lab in Wuhan having a poor safety record aren't mutually exclusive things. It also doesn't take a "conspiracy" for a technician to improperly dispose of materials.

Trump's approach was especially problematic because he issued a travel ban on Chinese nationals, but not anyone else coming from the country. Making it both xenophobic and useless

Is this that "cope" I'm hearing so much about

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
looks like the pivot to asia may finally be happening and CENTCOM is lobbying against it?

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-china-europe-middle-east-government-and-politics-21995550f2a657e70768645425f21d78

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) — As the United States scales back its military presence across the Middle East to focus on great power competition with China and Russia, it risks giving those two countries a chance to fill the gap and expand their influence around the Gulf, the top U.S. commander for the region said Sunday.

From the dusty battlefields in Syria to the rocket-pummeled neighborhoods in Iraq and Saudi Arabia, they worry that America’s pivot to Asia means they will be left without the troops, ships, aircraft and other military aid they need to battle Iranian-backed militant groups attacking their people.

In the few short months since President Joe Biden took office, he has ordered the full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and begun to review America’s force presence in Iraq, Syria and around the globe. His administration is cutting U.S. military support for the Saudi-led offensive against Iranian-back Houthi rebels in Yemen, and the Pentagon has moved ships, forces and weapons systems out of other Middle East countries.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1397124221046714370

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
the biden regime's words haven't really matched their deeds so far though

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah they'll just up the budget so they can do both

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mila kunis posted:

In the few short months since President Joe Biden took office, he has ordered the full withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan and begun to review America’s force presence in Iraq, Syria and around the globe. His administration is cutting U.S. military support for the Saudi-led offensive against Iranian-back Houthi rebels in Yemen, and the Pentagon has moved ships, forces and weapons systems out of other Middle East countries.

he didn’t order a withdrawal from afghanistan, he delayed trumps withdrawal

“begun to review force presence” is meaningless

he hasn’t ended support for the yemen genocide either, in fact we ramped up the blockade and the situation there is worse than ever

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

guess who got served bro

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

fart simpson posted:

he didn’t order a withdrawal from afghanistan, he delayed trumps withdrawal

“begun to review force presence” is meaningless

he hasn’t ended support for the yemen genocide either, in fact we ramped up the blockade and the situation there is worse than ever

mila kunis posted:

the biden regime's words haven't really matched their deeds so far though

yeah i agree, i keep seeing this kind of poo poo everywhere ("biden is going to forgive some student debt!" -> some = 0) and its doing my head in.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

its just a spanish flu bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

don't you usually get held in contempt here in the US if you insult the judge? Or is that just if you are so unruly that they can't get you to behave?