Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

griffin' launches into this great bit where he reads a formal answer from quora and instead of playing out how awful boring and dry it is they do their best to make it kind of fun. like, it's obvious griffin is setting up how much of a fun wasteland quora is compared to yahoo answers but Justin still tries to make it funny and to his credit it's good but I think the brothers are too used to salvaging bombing content to let bad jokes land

anyway, munch squad am I right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lmao Travis was on JJGO last week and of course he immediately interrupts their normal thing where they talk before they introduce the guest, like within the first 30 seconds.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pladdicus posted:

griffin' launches into this great bit where he reads a formal answer from quora and instead of playing out how awful boring and dry it is they do their best to make it kind of fun. like, it's obvious griffin is setting up how much of a fun wasteland quora is compared to yahoo answers but Justin still tries to make it funny and to his credit it's good but I think the brothers are too used to salvaging bombing content to let bad jokes land

anyway, munch squad am I right.

They could probably make a decent bit out of riffing dry Quora Expert posts but not definitely not multiple times every episode.

There's also probably something in revisiting old Final Yahoos but they haven't found it yet and they're a limited resource.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Entropic posted:

lmao Travis was on JJGO last week and of course he immediately interrupts their normal thing where they talk before they introduce the guest, like within the first 30 seconds.

Eh he's not the first to do that

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Entropic posted:

That's a power move and he should be proud of it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Jean Grae did exactly that a few weeks ago and it was hella dope.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
:lol: Justin got tricked into a sadlibs bit on the latest Empty Bowl. Well done Dan, well done.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Entropic posted:

I think it's more like the Blank Check podcast where the guest is encouraged to jump in if they don't need the extra time to finish up their dishes or whatever.

Though I'm shocked how long Jordan and Jesse will go by themselves sometimes, especially if they have an unfamiliar guest. It's a lot of time to be on the skype listening to some Santa Cruz grads talk about ding-dongs.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I remember there being a really stressful to listen to episode of JJGO once because they didn't have a guest but I somehow missed that and spent like the first half hour going "jesus christ this intro bit is going long".

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If anyone has Dropout, the McElroys (minus Griffin plus Clint) are the guests of the latest Um, Actually!

Kazy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 22, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
MBMBaM Episode 561: Bless My Farts

Have not listened to it, but I've never seen an episode title give me such a terrible feeling of foreboding.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Griffin is going to kill Justin if he keeps doing Final Yahoo. :ohdear:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Shocking moment this episode where they tease not doing a munch squad then do the whole drat thing, sans theme, including everyone's favorite: Justin playing audio of a commercial.

could you even imagine what it would be like for Justin if they were able to do this signature segment back during the heyday of "ˇYo quiero Taco Bell!"?

a dog!! hawking tacos!! hachi machi oofa doofa if it isn't the wildest thing you've ever heard!!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah Munch Squad is pretty annoying. I did quite like the Sneeze vs Other Air Escaping discussion, though.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Where is my Ted Cruz t-shirt???

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Zero One posted:

Where is my Ted Cruz t-shirt???

I keep refreshing the Good Mythical Morning store page, but I guess it's not up yet.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Has there been a Monster Factory since the Crusader Kings 3 one? I think this is the longest there's been between episodes since they came back with their weird Vox/McElroy Family thing.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Sankis posted:

Has there been a Monster Factory since the Crusader Kings 3 one? I think this is the longest there's been between episodes since they came back with their weird Vox/McElroy Family thing.
Griffin just had a kid and literally invented an entire RPG system for the current TAZ arc. I honestly don't think he has time for other projects.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I mean the kid thing, sure, but isn't the TAZ thing using an existing system

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sankis posted:

Griffin had a whole stream about how he made a whole system about ship combat and management

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sankis posted:

TAZ is using The Quiet Year for 5 worldbuilding episodes and after that they're using d&d5e for the main campaign

Griffin is probably swamped with having a newborn + first child so I can understand why the once a month side content series hasn't uploaded in a hot minute

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

And before that was the time he and heavily-pregnant Rachel had to flee their house so they didn't freeze to death and came back to it flooded.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah the February freeze can't be overlooked in terms of its effect on....well, everything. Their household got hosed up a fair amount by the water damage, particularly.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Piell posted:

Griffin had a whole stream about how he made a whole system about ship combat and management
Yeah, this. If you didn't watch the donor drive cast with Brennan Lee Mulligan, ship-to-ship combat in Ethersea will involve a detailed and in-depth subsystem that Griffin more or less wrote whole cloth.

As a person who's done that, I can assure you that it's an incredibly complicated and time-consuming process

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Froghammer posted:

Yeah, this. If you didn't watch the donor drive cast with Brennan Lee Mulligan, ship-to-ship combat in Ethersea will involve a detailed and in-depth subsystem that Griffin more or less wrote whole cloth.

As a person who's done that, I can assure you that it's an incredibly complicated and time-consuming process

Hope someone is playing a monk so they can catch + throw cannon balls back

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Froghammer posted:

he did pretty much confirm that there's way more randomness in this game though, part of the up-front effort in designing the adventure system and ship combat and such is clearly to allow a lot more improvised storytelling (which i'm excited about, I think it suits them)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why so much worldbuilding? It's so boring. Just play the dang game and let it happen.

Their most successful season didn't have episodes and episodes of setup, and when they switched to such for a backstory arc it was the most boring part imaginable. Then ever since it's weeks of "explain everything about this world and it's history" for weeks before they do anything.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the motivation for this Quiet Year prelude was about 70% "We just want to try out The Quiet Year" and about 30% "Griffin needs some time before launching a massive new campaign".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

docbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure that the motivation for this Quiet Year prelude was about 70% "We just want to try out The Quiet Year" and about 30% "Griffin needs some time before launching a massive new campaign".

Having the players involved in building the world helps the DM a lot as well. Blades in the Dark does it, and that way the DM doesn't have to constantly build entire scenarios and encounters and all that on the fly or the week before the session. It's already set up, and the DM already has a built character or faction or location that he can expand on if needed. If the players want to do something they know all about it, or if they find a clue or want to go do something they already know about a place to go since they helped set it up.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm having a good time listening to the world-building stuff, but I get that it's not for everybody

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

eke out posted:

he did pretty much confirm that there's way more randomness in this game though, part of the up-front effort in designing the adventure system and ship combat and such is clearly to allow a lot more improvised storytelling (which i'm excited about, I think it suits them)
Again, as someone who's run sandbox games before, randomness in no way means less prep time for the DM

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Froghammer posted:

drat I can't wait for everyone but Clint to not care about or engage with this system because learning rules is hard and talking about how much you hate being constrained by them is funny, that sounds dope

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Froghammer posted:

Again, as someone who's run sandbox games before, randomness in no way means less prep time for the DM

not less prep, different prep. i wasn't arguing with you

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/rileighsmirl/status/1397605382244208645

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao that is an absolutely savage gimmick

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Collaborative world-building is really good for getting player buy-in and figuring out what they're actually interested in exploring. The Quiet Year by its own rules ends in an ambiguous note which allows an immediate setup for drilling down to a character based game.

And that's not even counting games like Kingdom or Microscope which openly acknowledge that they can be played by themselves or simply used as tools to find something you want to drill down into for a more traditional RPG.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are we sure Ethersea isn't also being used to get fans to stop talking about Graduation?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

RandomPauI posted:

Are we sure Ethersea isn't also being used to get fans to stop talking about Graduation?

I think the more viable :tinfoil: is that Graduation's end was hastened so that the new campaign would start during MaxFunDrive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Clint is an extraterrestrial, if we're just floating poo poo out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That would explain how effortlessly Travis was able to slip into the Beep-Borp character.