Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This thread is for the birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Want to make a pun about "goon-blinked" but can't think of a natural segue, so here's "goon-blinked": goon-blinked

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

moths posted:

You think they'd cover those hooters up for a kid's film, jeez

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Snyder specified that in Army of the Dead's setting birds specifically do not get infected, thereby making it possible for Owls of Ga'Hoole to be a far future installment of this same new Snyderverse without any conflict.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Getting your hackles up about opportunistic piece of poo poo fascist Sean Spicer appearing as "opportunistic piece of poo poo fascist Sean Spicer, having his actual opinions explicitly aligned with villainous corrupt bioweapon-releasing rapist ICE goons" is a poor reading of the material. His assuredly nominal appearance fee is unfortunate, but it also buys some of the most brutally direct evidence you could ask for in film that he and the people he represents are shameless, breathtakingly stupid genocidal monsters up for sale. How can you not love that? It's phenomenal.

The movie instantly and to his face criticizes him for being a dumb bigot secret police-apologist, willing to sell his soul for pennies on the dollar, and his literal presence in the film proves it. The ~unnamed president~ he fronts for in the movie is quoted being a loving moron. What about his appearance here seems complimentary to you? That ten-second cameo is, I say with zero exaggeration, probably the best thing Snyder has ever managed to pull off in his whole career.

I'm not gonna comment on Zack Snyder's personal politics, because, frankly, I don't know or give a poo poo about them. But getting a member of the Trump administration to turn up as himself in your movie holding a sign that says "I am stupid and evil" is not exactly pro-Trump.

This is a good post and the handwringing about "but Snyder paid a fascist!" is insanely misplaced. If you're measuring a film's fascism by the people its budget went to, the Mnuchin-produced Fury Road and Lego Movie, let alone Steve Bannon's Seinfeld, are surely far worthier targets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The zombie apocalypse starts because of a dude getting road head

Everything with the heist and nearly everybody dies because of a dude getting a head on the road

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Everything with the heist and nearly everybody dies because of a dude getting a head on the road

They also just got married, so widely-acknowledged secret-fascist christian-scientist muscle-brain zack snyder is also against the institution of marriage.

Hey I didn't make the rules, I just enforce them.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I think Snyder watched the first season of American Gods.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

They also just got married, so widely-acknowledged secret-fascist christian-scientist muscle-brain zack snyder is also against the institution of marriage.

Hey I didn't make the rules, I just enforce them.
The only kind of sexual interaction allowed is PIV sex, to make babies. Their marriage was an abomination in the eyes of God and Snyder.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQiJuXN07E

TLDR: Stoklasa hated it, Bauman didn't mind it but thought it was very derivative of Aliens. Neither liked the DoF (they likened it to a very high quality fan-film, where all the flaws & limitations are blurred out). If you missed the dead pixels they go into that.

Things in particular they liked; the opening Las Vegas catastrophe sequence, and the zombie triggering the booby traps. Bauman thinks the movie would have been better if Tig Notaro was the lead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm definitely mixed on the DoF, it certainly adds a neat dreamy flavor at times, but also had moments where I just thought the shot was ugly as a result.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would have hated the DoF is it was used to hide information or keep something blurry for a cheap jumpscare but luckily it was not. It seems it was mainly to give you intense focus on an individual character at a time usually to show their emotions and provoke empathy, which I was absolutely fine with.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I would have hated the DoF is it was used to hide information or keep something blurry for a cheap jumpscare but luckily it was not. It seems it was mainly to give you intense focus on an individual character at a time usually to show their emotions and provoke empathy, which I was absolutely fine with.

Except no one emotes.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I hated the in-lens DoF gimmick. I've had a Lensbaby for 35mm photog since like 2005 and it's a cool toy to do interesting experiments with here and there.

By no means would I shoot an entire concert or fill an entire gallery with just that lens.

It's an effects shot. The whole show should not be just (or even mostly) that shot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Except no one emotes.

I'd say that of a couple people, notably Tig(but that's kind of her characters gimmick) and security rear end in a top hat, but I thought there was excellent face acting from Bautista, Dieter, Zeus, Coyote, and YouTuber in particular.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Tbh Im sure there were a lot of reasons Snyder used the rehoused Canon Dream Lenses but Im also pretty sure he saw an opportunity with Netflix hands off approach to experiment and gently caress around with his first time shooting on digital and for better or worse he took a risk and it worked and didnt work for the audience.

I really respect the fact we have a director of his level who takes formal risks like that on a somewhat formulaic movie in a genre you wouldnt really expect that in, its pretty rare simply because of the costs involved incase it doesnt land with audiences.

Not an entirely successful experiment but I value his willingness to try it at all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Except no one emotes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

[modern lamentation bellows]

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neurolimal posted:

[modern lamentation bellows]

This is my new band name.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The only time I remarked on the DoF was when the zombie queen was introduced by moving from a blur into focus which was neat. Anywhere else I did not notice care for it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Tbh Im sure there were a lot of reasons Snyder used the rehoused Canon Dream Lenses but Im also pretty sure he saw an opportunity with Netflix hands off approach to experiment and gently caress around with his first time shooting on digital and for better or worse he took a risk and it worked and didnt work for the audience.

I really respect the fact we have a director of his level who takes formal risks like that on a somewhat formulaic movie in a genre you wouldnt really expect that in, its pretty rare simply because of the costs involved incase it doesnt land with audiences.

Not an entirely successful experiment but I value his willingness to try it at all.

I agree with this. I'm half and half. Some parts I thought it worked and others I found it kind of distracting. If it becomes part of his toolset I hope he uses it sparingly in the future. He used it a couple times in Man of Steel and it worked out alright.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really got the impression Coyote was going to become the zombie queen through time fuckery based on 1) her corpse not being present at the vault, 2) both having the same haircut, 3) Coyote's death being implied and off-screen, and 4) Zeus still having the outfit.

Plus Coyote really seemed to get the Queen.

That'd be a hell of a rebound.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/1397221044168036354

Lemon
May 22, 2003

moths posted:

I really got the impression Coyote was going to become the zombie queen through time fuckery based on 1) her corpse not being present at the vault, 2) both having the same haircut, 3) Coyote's death being implied and off-screen, and 4) Zeus still having the outfit.

Well, I definitely got the impression that Zeus was planning on making her Zombie Queen 2.0, so if they're going in on the time-loop stuff then that would work too!

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

moths posted:

I don't know how seriously we're supposed to have taken the time stuff. The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am with the fact that the movie just shits out a bunch of totally unexplored elements, each of which would mean completely different things for the plot, but does nothing with them. It just muddies any attempt to interpret anything that's happening at any point and it strikes me as lazy. It's the same energy as "but it was aaaaall a dreeeeam," which is the most justifiably derided hack poo poo you can do in a movie at this point unless you're extremely clever, thoughtful, and deliberate about it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah I feel like it's a bunch of breadcrumbs that some Reddit guy will combine into a brilliant "theory." Then the Netflix execs can poach and shoehorn it into the anime.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

God, why did he botox his face so much! Nothing moves above and below his eyes!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I took the time loop speech just Vanderohe being dramatic to setup his sweet detonation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yeah, it's just some silly fun. But equally, if they did make a sequel that was Live Die Repeat in Vegas, that would be extremely cool and I would watch that film.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd buy that if they hadn't showed us proof of it. While cutting to the characters and driving home that yes he's right and yes this happened / is happening.

I mean, that wasn't subtle.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

moths posted:

I'd buy that if they hadn't showed us proof of it. While cutting to the characters and driving home that yes he's right and yes this happened / is happening.

The corpses aren’t 1:1, the key necklace on the corpse is different than the one on Maria.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

moths posted:

Except outside that single conversation nothing else connects to it, its yet another thing stapled onto the script that doesn't do anything

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
it was cool

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

I took the time loop speech just Vanderohe being dramatic to setup his sweet detonation.

It clearly was. In any normally written movie it’s just him gassing up the nerd with a story to spook him out. But on screen there was a bunch about the corpses that made it clear it was literally them, holding objects they had and so on. Which puts it in with robot zombie for “why was this like that?”

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The corpses aren’t 1:1, the key necklace on the corpse is different than the one on Maria.

OTOH, if they were 1:1 they wouldn't be corpses.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah I think it's a fun and cool thing. Alien virus, robot zombies, time loops, it gets weird and I love it. Not everything has to fit into one neat little package.

Anyway enough with nerds being nitpicky, have some Zack Snyder working out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TnqYmaxAdw

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MacheteZombie posted:

On initial watch I wasn't sure if like a bunch of it was in Dieter's head since like, Peters was wearing a different shirt, and yeah the handkerchief and necklace were there but I thought he "noticed" those after Van's speech. So I thought maybe it was a little bit of fun like Dieter was seeing details and second guessing whether he'd seen them on his friends (or doing the opposite and remembering details he was superimposing them onto the corpses). The extra weird scifi stuff tho makes it more plausible that something else was going on, I do wonder if there are more hints on multiple rewatches.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Seems like an excessive amount of literalism to be applying to a film set in zombie vegas that's never in focus. He's talking about time loops and the camera plays along with his ruse for a few second. It's the same setup as when they're talking about how easy the plan is going to be and the camera shows them all in a circle shooting outwards; no-one yet has tried to claim that that sequence literally happened.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

McCloud posted:

Yeah I think it's a fun and cool thing. Alien virus, robot zombies, time loops, it gets weird and I love it. Not everything has to fit into one neat little package.

I think we have some pretty fundamental differences of opinion on whether a movie is wasting its viewers time by just making GBS threads out a bunch of random nonsense that it wants you to think is maybe tied to the plot but also "uhh ehhh maybe not idk it's not like I'm the director or anything"

There is "not everything has to fit into one neat little package" and then there is adding a fistful of throwaway elements that fundamentally change every single piece of the story you propose to be telling and it's sloppy as poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The problem is that the film wants to benefit from making you think "hey, maybe there's something to the time loop", but it doesn't do enough to reward that line of thought. Like a lot of potentially neat ideas in the movie it's just sort of placed there.

I know a lot of handwaving is being done because this is a zombie movie with wacky sci-fi elements but I think it's fine to want and expect more, regardless of genre. Mining these ideas would make the movie even more fun, not less.