Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

bizwank posted:

I just replaced my stock horn with a Freeway Blaster; figure if I need to get a driver's attention I want them to think something bigger than a scooter is about to hit them.

It can't hurt to have it but I have long put out of my mind the idea that I can make someone pay enough attention to matter.

A friend of mine is a firefighter, and keeps a now-several-hours-long compilation video of people pulling out on, merging into, cutting off, and otherwise crashing into his massive red truck with the hi vis reflective stripes and flashing lights and sirens. I figure if people are gonna merge literally into the side of a fluro red truck that's making wee woo noises, there's nothing I can possibly do to stop them merging into me on the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It can't hurt to have it but I have long put out of my mind the idea that I can make someone pay enough attention to matter.

A friend of mine is a firefighter, and keeps a now-several-hours-long compilation video of people pulling out on, merging into, cutting off, and otherwise crashing into his massive red truck with the hi vis reflective stripes and flashing lights and sirens. I figure if people are gonna merge literally into the side of a fluro red truck that's making wee woo noises, there's nothing I can possibly do to stop them merging into me on the bike.

You can, by driving passively. Emergency vehicles don't really have that luxury because of the inherent urgency.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Late to the chat but,

LimaBiker posted:

Getting a bike is genuinely the best material thing i ever did in my entire life.

Without question.

I'd still say that those new radrunner style electric bicycles are pretty good looking, and I'd consider them as an alternative to a slow speed side street motorcycle/scoot for barebones errands/commutes.

bizwank posted:

I just replaced my stock horn with a Freeway Blaster; figure if I need to get a driver's attention I want them to think something bigger than a scooter is about to hit them. Also installed fork, bar-end and swingarm spool sliders; waiting on a torque wrench to do the frame sliders since that involves engine bolts. Going to be practicing my slow-speed maneuvers a lot and if/when I drop it I'd like to do as little damage as possible.

I need to replace the hawk's horn, and am looking for something REALLY loud. The freeway blaster looks like a nautilus knockoff? Or just a simple design? Anyone have a good recommendation for a horn with presence?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Coydog posted:

I need to replace the hawk's horn, and am looking for something REALLY loud. The freeway blaster looks like a nautilus knockoff? Or just a simple design? Anyone have a good recommendation for a horn with presence?
I was looking at the Denali Soundbomb Mini but the Freeway Blaster had the same specs and was half the price, and is made by Fiamm which is a huge multi-national horn company, so either one of them made it for the other or it's just a common enough design that everybody makes one. It isn't technically louder than the stock horn (same db rating) but I fired off the stock inside my shop and it was like, meep meep moped coming through! Tried out the new horn and the reaction was more like, ok never doing that inside again. Tone matters if you're trying to get someone's attention.

If you want something louder and more menacing then a compact airhorn is probably your best option; again, looks like a bunch of companies make practically the same product (or slaps their name on an OE model). Keep in mind you may need to do some wiring if it pulls more amps then your stock horn does; mine was a drop-in replacement. Here's roughly what they sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqgM8Z5RI38&t=38s

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Late to the chat but,
Without question.

I'd still say that those new radrunner style electric bicycles are pretty good looking, and I'd consider them as an alternative to a slow speed side street motorcycle/scoot for barebones errands/commutes.

Freeway blaster/Soundbomb Mini is pretty loud, the Soundbomb/Nautilus are downright painful in an enclosed space. I don't have the mini installed right now, but I do have the full-sized Soundbomb and can get an audio clip of it if you want.

Seconding the suggestion to run a separate power line to the battery and use the stock horn wire as a trigger on a relay; those horns can pull enough current to trash the stock horn switch and/or wiring.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for that both of you. That makes more sense to me then. The wiring a separate harness seems like a pain, but I do it plenty for lights and stuff.

What ya'll are telling me is I need a freeway blaster for the regular horn button, and a full sized soundbomb wired to a separate button (that also triggers the freeway blaster). :getin:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

Just go all out

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Greg12 posted:

buy a motorcycle

from a brand you heard of

ideally one that also makes cars, musical instruments, or jet fighters

Going back a couple of pages just to ask, who makes the jet fighters?? Kawi? I know they're one tiny arm of what still amounts to a zaibatsu with its fingers in a lot of industrial pies

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Phy posted:

Going back a couple of pages just to ask, who makes the jet fighters?? Kawi? I know they're one tiny arm of what still amounts to a zaibatsu with its fingers in a lot of industrial pies

Makes cars (Honda Suzuki)
Musical Instruments (Yamaha)
Jet Fighters Aircraft (Kawasaki)

They make Helicopters too!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Carteret posted:

Makes cars (Honda Suzuki)
Musical Instruments (Yamaha)
Jet Fighters Aircraft (Kawasaki)

They make Helicopters too!

Also a bunch of really heavy equipment, no?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Kawasaki makes a lot of stuff. I don't think the two other classic japanese heavy industries Mitsubishi or IHI has a motorcycle sub arm.

Mitsubishi has made scooters.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 25, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kawasaki and Suzuki also make musical instruments.

Honda makes loving everything up to and including planes and bits of spacecraft. Not bad for a company started by a guy hotting up occupation GI bikes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Kawasaki and Suzuki also make musical instruments.

Even in KRT livery

close enoiugh

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Rev matching is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, and riding on real roads is not nearly scary as anticipated.

My random-dude-wanting-to-talk count is now three in two rides. Luckily the attractive guy is the only one that invited me to ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Even in KRT livery

close enoiugh

Pictured: 6 time wsbk champion Jonathan Rea!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kawasaki makes literally everything. I had a pc CD-ROM drive from Kawasaki once upon a time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kawasaki Heavy Industries makes giant ships and nuclear reactors.

E: I guess they got out of nuclear power this year. Mitsubishi still does it though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiggy posted:

Rev matching is a lot easier than I thought it was going to be, and riding on real roads is not nearly scary as anticipated.

My random-dude-wanting-to-talk count is now three in two rides. Luckily the attractive guy is the only one that invited me to ride.

Invited you to ride what though

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Slavvy posted:

Invited you to ride what though

Guess I'm going to have to swing by his apartment and find out.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Finally managed to schedule some time with a mechanic and get frame sliders installed (no cut). They're surprisingly unobtrusive.
One one hand I'm thinking it's kinda moot putting them on a bike that was dropped by the PO, but on the other, seems like a good way to prevent any more damage.

The mechanic pointed out my front turn signal stalk is loose and my right handlebar has a subtle bend to it, so I ordered those parts. Nice thing about this honda is that most of the OEM parts are on ebay at reasonable prices. Except mufflers, which are super pricey new and all the used ones look beaten to hell. I just want a less obnoxiously loud muffler.

The mechanic also told be that 250cc bikes like this have a habit of burning oil at freeway speeds and he advised me against doing more than 45 minutes at a time above 65mph.

Also I now have 700 miles under my belt :toot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I have been trying to figure out what to do on the highway for merging traffic coming on on the right.

In my car, it has enough power I usually just speed up and let people merge behind me if it looks like they aren't going fast enough to merge.

On a bike I have been slowing down. I slowed to like 45 the other day when the speed limit is 55 and traffic goes 65-70. I'm like that doesn't seem right, someone might rear end me. So I tried speeding up the next time it came up and my bike really doesn't have the power to do that quickly. They started merging into my lane with me there, not seeing me. I expected it so I just slowed down.

I might just adopt a personal policy of using the center or left lane when I can, and keep an eye out on both sides. Or slow down for merging traffic as long as no one is behind me.

Very different thought process than my car.

I haven't tried dropping to 5th gear at highway speeds yet. I need to do the math and look up the gear ratios, I am usually at like 8000-8500 rpm ish. Redline is 12.5.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Just move over a lane so you don't have to deal with it. Watch out for those drivers that like to swoop from the onramp all the way to the left lane in one motion though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's the same as being in a car, you move over a lane to clear space for merging drivers. This isn't a motorcycle thing, it's a "don't be a jerk" thing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I think it's generally on the merging driver to merge into the flow of traffic without disrupting it... but it's wiser on your end to preempt the danger and move over left one lane wether you're in a car or on bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is gonna sound pretty Yogi Berra or John Madden but I like to think of it as, the easiest way to avoid being hit in traffic is to not be where the cars are going to be

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I have been trying to figure out what to do on the highway for merging traffic coming on on the right.

In my car, it has enough power I usually just speed up and let people merge behind me if it looks like they aren't going fast enough to merge.

On a bike I have been slowing down. I slowed to like 45 the other day when the speed limit is 55 and traffic goes 65-70. I'm like that doesn't seem right, someone might rear end me. So I tried speeding up the next time it came up and my bike really doesn't have the power to do that quickly. They started merging into my lane with me there, not seeing me. I expected it so I just slowed down.

I might just adopt a personal policy of using the center or left lane when I can, and keep an eye out on both sides. Or slow down for merging traffic as long as no one is behind me.

Very different thought process than my car.

I haven't tried dropping to 5th gear at highway speeds yet. I need to do the math and look up the gear ratios, I am usually at like 8000-8500 rpm ish. Redline is 12.5.

Drop to fifth gear. Anywhere below the redline is fine. There's 4,000rpm of power you aren't using, small bikes involve lots of gear changing to get the most out of them, that's how it is. It isn't a car, use the revs. Still way too much thinking, you don't need to check gear ratios or any of that bullshit. Has it got more revs? Use the revs. No more revs? Time to change up. Very simple. STOP THINKING SO MUCH.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 27, 2021

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Speaking of revs, how important is it that I pay attention the exact break-in procedure outlined in the manual? On one hand I assume Kawi engineers know this engine better than anyone else, and know what's best for it, on the other hand plenty of other seemingly intelligent people online have their own break-in procedure that they say has always worked fine for their new bikes. The truth is somewhere in the middle?

Also I discovered this bike has a flashing shift light that you can program to pop at whatever rpm you want, so that's kinda cool for I guess. Also has an average and real-time MPG display which I didn't expect to see on a bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

bizwank posted:

Speaking of revs, how important is it that I pay attention the exact break-in procedure outlined in the manual? On one hand I assume Kawi engineers know this engine better than anyone else, and know what's best for it, on the other hand plenty of other seemingly intelligent people online have their own break-in procedure that they say has always worked fine for their new bikes. The truth is somewhere in the middle?

Also I discovered this bike has a flashing shift light that you can program to pop at whatever rpm you want, so that's kinda cool for I guess. Also has an average and real-time MPG display which I didn't expect to see on a bike.

as long as you aren't doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJjvycDt_8 it's fine. just ride the bike normally. being neurotic about engine break in is just new bike ownership territory. i sperged out about my drz's break in and then immediately flipped it and then rammed it into a mailbox. fast forward 12k miles and it's done 80+ MPH WOT in sand, powerline trails, wheelies through the city and all the poo poo a sumo does and it's having it's FIRST exhaust valve adjustment ever

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Signed up for lessons next month, nothing to report yet other than slowly gearing up. Expect lots of idiotic questions to eventually arise.

Can't wait!

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Razzled posted:

as long as you aren't doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJjvycDt_8 it's fine.

2:27 in O_o

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bizwank posted:

Those people are 95% morons with no basis for their bullshit. Do what the manual says.

In reality you can ride however you want and it'll almost certainly be fine because it's a robust, relaxed, japanese engine. It's more a question of it you care about getting the absolute maximum potential out of it in terms of single digit percentages of power, economy and oil consumption.

Japanese bikes have a LOT of leeway for doing dumb poo poo and not hurting anything, that creates a space for the legions of people who think they know better to spread their wings of nonsense and soar on thermals of huffed farts. If for example you were on a brand new 690, you'd probably already be hosed without knowing why, or trying to walk a tightrope so you don't get massive future oil consumption (you would fail and just have to live with massive oil consumption because your riding circumstances are not the ones in the KTM dyno room but hey). This was fairly normal stuff until about the early eighties, when the Japanese started selling bikes that just worked when you turn the key, and people lost the sense that they're riding something that could fail at any second and needed constant thoroughbred attention.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

2:27 in O_o

That guy must have a deliberately hosed-up tune, right? Running it excessively lean to boost the temperature, or dumping extra fuel into the headers, or something?

Like even motoGP bikes running flat-out with power densities 50% more than your average street bike don't get exhausts that glow like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

That guy must have a deliberately hosed-up tune, right? Running it excessively lean to boost the temperature, or dumping extra fuel into the headers, or something?

Like even motoGP bikes running flat-out with power densities 50% more than your average street bike don't get exhausts that glow like that.

I geared up to watch the video and explain about the afterburner thing I expected to see but nope, that is just the world's sorriest gixxer about to melt a piston.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does the rev limiter just cut spark without cutting fuel and dump the fuel out of the exhaust?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, huh, I guess if it's carbureted that's exactly what it would do, wouldn't it. And maybe some fuel-injected implementations still just cut spark too.

Yeah, that'd do it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Does the rev limiter just cut spark without cutting fuel and dump the fuel out of the exhaust?

Yup, that bike is almost certainly carbed and possibly air cooled.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

bizwank posted:

Haha. I got the Versys-X 300. Yeah the MPG display is nice. I wonder if my shift light is programmable.

Break in - I did maybe a few dozen miles at lower rpms. It's not realistic. 4k on my bike is almost not street legal, and I guess they suggest the same RPMs for every bike they say so it's probably not even scientific. I have been riding it normally and everyone and their mother says it doesn't really matter, with many saying ride it super hard early on and heat cycle it so the piston rings wear against the crosshatch in the cyls so it seals well.

Universally everyone says ride it in a range of rpms and don't take it on the thruway for a long trip super early on holding steady at the same RPMs.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

How are you liking the Versys? It was at the top of my list for a while when I was fantasizing about motocamping, then realized that was far enough off that I should get something more suited for where I'd exclusively be riding now (city).

My manual says "Avoid prolonged operation above 7000 rpm for the first 600 miles, and above 8400 for the next 400. After 1k go nuts". Most streets around here are all 25mph and I can do that in 2nd gear at around 5-6k so I'm guessing it will be a while before those limits become an issue for me. Definitely not planning any highway trips any time soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah this is exactly what’s happening

It’s also an oil cooled gsxr so also likely the only bike in the video that would still ride home after that treatment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

bizwank posted:

How are you liking the Versys? It was at the top of my list for a while when I was fantasizing about motocamping, then realized that was far enough off that I should get something more suited for where I'd exclusively be riding now (city).

I like it a lot. I am primarily using it on the road. Gets decent mileage, 60mpg ish mixed suburban and highway. It is very comfortable. I've been taking it out at night sometimes, I wish the normal headlight was a bit better but the high beam is fine. The suspension is smooth and has a fair amount of travel. Handles pretty easy with its narrower tires. I feel like the bike is in a class by itself with Kawasaki. My other friend is talking about upgrading his Honda CBR500R. I can't find an "upgrade" - just bigger adventure bikes, or faster sport bikes. There's not a lot on this weird niche of fast enough for thruway use, good mileage, a bit more suspension and ground clearance. I am probably going to just keep it forever and if I want another bike have a second. Probably a sport tbh, fairly out in the future though.

I am basically using it as a daily driver to commute since it is fun and cheap on gas, haha.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 28, 2021