Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
The underpants poisoner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Somaen posted:

With how this horseshit is disseminated in a year or two every single person alive will have been accused of being a nazi that fought for Azov

All for a little opportunity to simp for the worlds most pathetic dictator and his new hobby of air terrorism

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Finally, some peace and quiet.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

fatherboxx posted:

All for a little opportunity to simp for the worlds most pathetic dictator and his new hobby of air terrorism

Look pal, the potatofuhrer is cool, his moustache is cool, his tractor is cool, telling people to drink vodka to cure covid is cool and everyone against him is a fucken nazi

Rinkles posted:

gently caress i didn't realize he's just 26

BTW Lukashenko has been president for as long as this guy was alive

Paladinus posted:

So based on rough calculations I've seen flying through Belarus generates ~50 million per year. If Belavia is banned from the EU, that could lead to it going bankrupt for more financial damage of the regime

Somaen fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 24, 2021

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/HenryHoerder/status/1396982935526457347

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What would the US do?

- under Trump - praise Batka for dealing with the nasty critic, who was tremendously unfair towards his great, bigly democratic friend, suggest he was actually too soft on him and all critics should be shot
- under Biden - ask the EU to write up some symbolic sanctions

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

Welp, results of the EU meeting are in. EU+UK will ban all Belorussian airlines in their airspace. Strong recommendation to all airlines to avoid Belorussian airspace from now on and there will be more sanctions on individual Belorussian kleptocrats.

It's not much, but I seriously don't know what else they could have done.

Freeze all assets from everyone who lives in Belarus and yet has assets in the EU
Especially all companies. All of them.
Issue international arrest warrants for the entire government
Break off all diplomatic connections
Ban all import of export
Ban all goods from companies doing business with Belarus
Put troops at the borders
Threaten to expell all Belarussian citizens from the EU (don't do it tho that'll be stupid)

just go really loving hogwild

At this point, it is well known in the world that you can walk all over the EU without consequence.
Vietnam also regularly kidnaps dissidents IN the EU and nothing happens. Russia goes around and assassinates people.
The EU is a paper tiger, so it's our own drat fault we can't protect anyone.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

https://oko.press/roman-protasiewicz-bez-azylu/

Protasiewicz tried to get asylum in Poland in 2019 but didn't get it and didn't even got an official reply until it was months later lmao we're such an useless bitchmade country

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Haramstufe Rot posted:

How can it be our own fault?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Paladinus posted:

Congrats, Batka eliminating chemtrails by 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

As angry as I am about the EU countries doing jack poo poo, it has always been first and foremost an economic and legal union, evolved from the EEC. There’s a common security framework, but any attempts to turn it into a more NATO-like organization have failed in 90s, because of the political complexity and lack of legal framework that would be compatible. Basically, without creating some sort of a super-state, it won’t happen, and the EU countries have been very adamant about not wanting to move in that direction.

As it stands, the EU is a trade union with a common diplomatic framework for member support in external negotiations. The only hope now is for NATO, some sort of an ad-hoc political-military union between some member states or the UN.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1397086120857456644

Stronger actions need to happen, but the opportunity to do them is slipping away.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Freeze all assets from everyone who lives in Belarus and yet has assets in the EU
Especially all companies. All of them.
Issue international arrest warrants for the entire government
Break off all diplomatic connections
Ban all import of export
Ban all goods from companies doing business with Belarus
Put troops at the borders
Threaten to expell all Belarussian citizens from the EU (don't do it tho that'll be stupid)

just go really loving hogwild

At this point, it is well known in the world that you can walk all over the EU without consequence.
Vietnam also regularly kidnaps dissidents IN the EU and nothing happens. Russia goes around and assassinates people.

Squeezing the population only works if the people actually have the possibility to affect government decisions. The Belorussian people already want Batka gone. They don't need more convincing. The ones that need convincing is the security apparatus and the military forces. There is also the whole problem that harsh direct measures against the population could strengthen Batka's political position, which is something we need to avoid at all costs.

Troops need to happen through NATO. The EU has no troops. Also not sure what it's supposed to accomplish exactly. Are we pretending to threaten Belarus with an invasion? Are we demonstrating resolve against a possible Belorussian invasion of the EU?

AFAIK the bar for an international arrest warrant for heads of states is ridiculously high. Batka would need to get into the violent genocide business.

The EU doesn't have embassies to close, but they did cancel billions of $ in planned investment in Belarus. I guess that's the EU's equivalent of that? I definitely support each individual member state cancelling diplomatic relations until at least the kidnapped people are released.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
We already inflicted the biggest punishment possible anyway, they had to stay out of the best Eurovision in years.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Bald and Bankrupt filmed a few videos in Donbass. He must be a secret Russian neo nazi collaborator who was there to film Ukraines strategic Babushka and beer reserves.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GABA ghoul posted:

The EU doesn't have embassies to close, but they did cancel billions of $ in planned investment in Belarus. I guess that's the EU's equivalent of that? I definitely support each individual member state cancelling diplomatic relations until at least the kidnapped people are released.

They didn't cancel billions. They allocated 3 billions in case fair elections happen in Belarus. They have rerouted something to the tune of 100 mil from Belarusian government programmes to various opposition initiatives.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1397086120857456644

Stronger actions need to happen, but the opportunity to do them is slipping away.

Another victim of cancel culture.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

GABA ghoul posted:

Troops need to happen through NATO. The EU has no troops. Also not sure what it's supposed to accomplish exactly. Are we pretending to threaten Belarus with an invasion? Are we demonstrating resolve against a possible Belorussian invasion of the EU?
I am confused too with the demands for an EU military intervention. Restricting aviation to and from a country is a big deal and there is still room to escalate if Lukashenko tries to do other poo poo.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I understand that people want to get rid of Lukashenka but realistically EU has very little in its arsenal. No-one inside Belarus and outside the security apparatus wants Batka to stay, but EU isn't going to perform a military coup on the sovereign soil of a neighbour nation. Best they can do is put up more sanctions, provide diplomatic support to the opposition and stop coddling Lukashenka with economic perks, all of which have already been done or are underway.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
you can think hes a fascist shithead deserving death and also not support an authoritarian threatening to shoot down a civilian airliner to arrest him

also literally almost everyone fighting on both sides in donbass except the loving poor rear end conscript are a fascist of some sort

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 25, 2021

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
lol at the hawks demanding WAR over the stopping of a commercial liner and kidnapping two people, meanwhile Putin shot down an entire flight killing everyone on board and no one expects him to ever face consequences.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nenonen posted:

lol at the hawks demanding WAR over the stopping of a commercial liner and kidnapping two people, meanwhile Putin shot down an entire flight killing everyone on board and no one expects him to ever face consequences.

Well yeah, Luka ain't got nukes.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Oracle posted:

Well yeah, Luka ain't got nukes.

But he has Putin

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

IDK anymore which sanctions on Russia were for Crimea, the war in Donbass and which for MH17, but one of those sanctions was cutting off access to borrowing that has stopped Russian economic growth (even as the oil prices are recovering) and discouraged it from attempting to invade even more of Ukraine and leads to funny things like Putin having to lie to Merkel that the gas turbines they're going to buy from Siemens are definitely not going to be used in Crimea, which they ended up doing

And that's with a nuclear state that sells us a ton of oil and gas, the EU can use economic means to punish a lovely tinpot dictator for putting EU citizens in danger

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Charliegrs posted:

But he has Putin

Lucky Luka has been trying to distance himself a bit from Putin, he steadfastly isn't Putin's puppet. If he wants Russian support here he's probably gonna have to pay for it.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What exactly would be a proportionate response to what Belarus did? I was scratching my head wondering about what I would do if I was say, a leader of a country like the UK or Germany.

Like quite a few EU citizens were affected by this hijacking. But, no one was hurt or killed. The journalist that was the target of the hijacking is most definitely getting hurt and will probably be killed, but he's a Belarusian citizen.

You want to do something that really hurts Luka and makes him think twice about ever doing something like this again but you don't want to start a war especially if it draws in Russia. Not to mention now every other shithead dictator in the world has a new tool in the ol oppression toolbox so a real statement needs to be made that doing something like this will be punished severely.

Maybe fire a few cruise missiles and destroy a few parked Belarusian MIGs? That's probably too drastic and I doubt Russia would take that lightly. It seems like any measured response I can think of basically points to what the EU is already doing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Any military response is 100% unacceptable, no matter how you cut it. Yeah, cool, just start a loving war, that's a good measured response. Absolutely unhinged.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Charliegrs posted:

Maybe fire a few cruise missiles and destroy a few parked Belarusian MIGs? That's probably too drastic and I doubt Russia would take that lightly. It seems like any measured response I can think of basically points to what the EU is already doing.

Who? The Belarusians could probably make short work of every European military besides the Poles and well, Americans. European countries are very weak and have limited soveirgnty.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I don't think there's any stomach in europe for that kind of escalation, but if there was I think the Poles would be on board

szary
Mar 12, 2014
I'm afraid you're severely overestimating the strength of the Polish army

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They'd be onboard with it happening, not that they'd be actually doing it.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
So after russian intelligence fronts started spreading disinfo that Protasevich was a 19 year old nazi who loves hitler and fought for Azov, Russian/Ukrainian journalists and OSINT people did some digging to get to the bottom of this and found that he was not.

https://mobile.twitter.com/charliekreuz/status/1397327284277813253

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1397279914085203969

Of course the disinfo sources never actually investigated this since they are not journalists, their job is to spread narratives of a far-right state. And the typical red-brown idiots that this is aimed at are repeating it uncritically in the "He Was No Angel" tone, exactly the same mouthbreathers who will shriek about Navalny lusting for genocide while defending the Chinese because "technically it's not a genocide because it's just sterilization, torture and indoctrination and NOT extermination camps"

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
You can think Ukraine is full of Nazis and also not support Putin.

Russia is also full of Nazis

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

You can think Ukraine is full of Nazis and also not support Putin.

Russia is also full of Nazis

Aren't you a 20 year old american? I am glad that you are taking an interest in Eastern Europe, but our magical far away lands are pretty complicated and we prefer to have more nuance in the understanding of politics here than "Good Guys vs Nazis" or "Nazis vs Nazis"

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Vasukhani posted:

Who? The Belarusians could probably make short work of every European military besides the Poles and well, Americans. European countries are very weak and have limited soveirgnty.

Any military response should very clearly be off the table, but still I have to ask: Are you serious?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

A picture of Belarus crashing all european forces royal rumble style is more wild than clancychat ever got

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1397460433137713153

In awe of Batka's brain

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:22 on May 26, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

Aren't you a 20 year old american?

I'm American by citizenship but lived in the "region,"

Sorry but there are definitely all sorts of freaks fighting in Donbas, basically any person who went there to fight voluntarily in an militia detachment is some sort of freak, maybe some are misled, I don't know. Also, Svoboda only getting 8% of the vote doesn't mean Ukraine does not have a serious problem with radical parties. Someone presenting a biography of Bandera (which is totally just an RT dogwhistle at this point, but thats besides the point) in kyiv shouldn't have to flee for their safety. Also putting a UPA themed restaurant in Lviv is about as disgusting as an Envar Pasha theme park on the shores of lake van. Good simulated samogon tho.

military cervix posted:

Any military response should very clearly be off the table, but still I have to ask: Are you serious?

No. I'm pointing out how stupid the idea of bombing loving belarus is, not only stupid, but literally impossible.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 26, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

fatherboxx posted:

A picture of Belarus crashing all european forces royal rumble style is more wild than clancychat ever got

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1397460433137713153

In awe of Batka's brain

Lukashenka has finally cracked, this bodes well

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

I'm American by citizenship but lived in the "region,"

Sorry but there are definitely all sorts of freaks fighting in Donbas, basically any person who went there to fight voluntarily is some sort of freak. Svoboda only getting 8% of the vote doesn't mean Ukraine does not have a serious problem with radical parties. Someone presenting a biography of Bandera (which is totally just an RT dogwhistle at this point, but thats besides the point) in kyiv shouldn't have to flee for their safety. Also putting a UPA themed restaurant in Lviv is about as disgusting as an Envar Pasha theme park on the shores of lake van. Good simulated samogon tho

See, this is way more nuanced than the stinkers you usually drop in threads

There is a problem with the far-right in Ukraine, but that is a general, fairly insignificant problem of all Eastern European states. In the Baltics we had literal neo-nazi marches, with bomber jackets, shaved heads and combat boots and everything in 2010s that I was personally out protesting. Now they are gone, with no political power or visibility on the streets through the politics of integrating people into the economy, opening up for emigration/immigration and strong democratic institutions. That is literally it, that's the best way to combat any scary neonazism. It's no surprise that the danger now is from the typical alt-right that the West has a way bigger problem with than any Eastern European state. With all of this the path for Ukraine and Belarus is to end the destabilizing war and support democratic transition and building institutions. The neonazi screeching is a red-herring for idiots by outlets that are fronts for russian intelligence, a far-right state that has an interest in Belarus and Ukraine also being weak, far-right states.

Raman didn't go there to fight, he was a photojournalist (and 19 years old) and while only freaks went to the Donbass to fight for Russkyi mir, the Ukrainian side had plenty of people without a far-right agenda, who were defending their homeland against a literal aggressive invasion. In any case, this is all a distraction for the "he deserves everything he gets" narrative, but really Belarussians already have a flawless saint-like figure in Tsihanouvskaya, and that doesn't help poo poo. The same idiots who are smearing Raman were happily ignoring her or smearing her and the whole protest movement as a CIA op. The "purity test" thing is always a distraction.

Somaen fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Somaen posted:

See, this is way more nuanced than the stinkers you usually drop in threads

There is a problem with the far-right in Ukraine, but that is a general, fairly insignificant problem of all Eastern European states. In the Baltics we had literal neo-nazi marches, with bomber jackets, shaved heads and combat boots and everything in 2010s that I was personally out protesting. Now they are gone, with no political power or visibility on the streets through the politics of integrating people into the economy, opening up for emigration/immigration and strong democratic institutions. That is literally it, that's the best way to combat any scary neonazism. It's no surprise that the danger now is from the typical alt-right that the West has a way bigger problem with than any Eastern European state. With all of this the path for Ukraine and Belarus is to end the destabilizing war and support democratic transition and building institutions. The neonazi screeching is a red-herring for idiots by outlets that are fronts for russian intelligence, a far-right state that has an interest in Belarus and Ukraine also being weak, far-right states.

I agree that the larger threat long term isnt football hooligans who like the SS (although they can do exceptional harm to individuals) but rather the reemergence of international conflict in EE, if we see a fascist regime rise in one of the EE states, it will be in the wake of geopolitical calamity. I was not going to feel 100% about someone who seemed to have embedded with Azov (he obv doesn't "deserve" it, and a plane wouldn't deserve to be hijacked even if he was a literal like ww2 era nazi) though it is unclear to what extent even that is complete disinfo right now, and the azov post seems to just imply he was a pro-ukr journalist.

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 26, 2021