Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bittersweet, I'd call it. Yeah he didn't get to the village, but everyone at least got out safe and sound.

Course, now we're going to see how his Victorian family handles him showing up with a Karalkalpak wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rody One Half posted:

Bittersweet, I'd call it. Yeah he didn't get to the village, but everyone at least got out safe and sound.

Course, now we're going to see how his Victorian family handles him showing up with a Karalkalpak wife.

And a good horse. We will die before we sell Chubar.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
Finally got around to reading this and caught up to the latest chapter today. I've never read Yukimura's work before this, but I really enjoyed the Planetes anime.

A while ago I encountered some impressions marking similarities to Berserk as far as character depth and development go. I'd say that's pretty accurate since this series takes its time to flesh out characters properly. Another thing I can appreciate between this and Berserk is combat flow. You can actually follow fight scenes and understand what's going on, and I feel like that's not the easiest thing to pull off. Having read Dorohedoro and Claymore before VS, the improvement in clarity is nice to see.

ETURNA fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 23, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ETURNA posted:

Finally got around to reading this and caught up to the latest chapter today. I've never read Yukimura's work before this, but I really enjoyed the Planetes anime.

A while ago I encountered some impressions marking similarities to Berserk as far as character depth and development go. I'd say that's pretty accurate since this series takes its time to flesh out characters properly. Another thing I can appreciate between this and Berserk is combat flow. You can actually follow fight scenes and understand what's going on, and I feel like that's not the easiest thing to pull off. Having read Dorohedoro and Claymore before VS, the improvement is clarity is nice to see.

IIRC Yukimura was an assistant for the Berserk author?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new chapter of vinland

and with this chapter everything is once again right with the world

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That's fantastic

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've been on a huge Egyptian History Podcast kick, which really makes me miss The Blue Eye of Horus.

I want more anime Hatshepsut!!!!!!

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
A new Cesare chapter? Do my eyes deceive me???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feast of Burden posted:

A new Cesare chapter? Do my eyes deceive me???

There's also a new Vinland Saga. Not as good as the Leif chapter, but fun enough.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

chiasaur11 posted:

There's also a new Vinland Saga. Not as good as the Leif chapter, but fun enough.

i absolutely love hild finally reaching a level of softness and the right opportunity to let out her long repressed turbo nerd nature

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo! They've arrived!!!!!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Holy poo poo. Holy poo poo! They've arrived!!!!!!

Not quite

New month, new chapter.

Also, interesting to see the contrast between someone who knows Thorfinn and someone who really doesn't.

Thinking he's not a fighter... it's not suicide, since he's given up killing, but it's not a decision with a good future, either. He took on some of the toughest Jomsvikings in cqc, after all.

Vinland Saga felt a bit rocky for a while when Thorfinn was back home, but it feels like things are on a better track. Let's just hope for a good ending.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
War's unwomanly face just got updated

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1210432/1

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
new vinland

well, we're pretty much at were the rubber meets the road, this has to be the final arc. i wonder how long it lasts?

i'm so worried about that goat milk and the native's tolerance of lactose. i always find myself hoping that this turns into an alternate history series where greenland ends up forming a long term trading relationship with permanent vinland settlements

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

new vinland

well, we're pretty much at were the rubber meets the road, this has to be the final arc. i wonder how long it lasts?

i'm so worried about that goat milk and the native's tolerance of lactose. i always find myself hoping that this turns into an alternate history series where greenland ends up forming a long term trading relationship with permanent vinland settlements

You're right to be worried.

If I remember right, that's where the trouble started in the sagas.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I don't know how interesting it'll be for you guys but I just wanted to share:

I've recently came across the manga by Riyoko Ikeda (Rose of Versailles, Dear Brother) about Polish history, Ten no Hate Made. And what sets it apart from other foreign media's portrayal of Poland, is that it's set in 1763-1813 and not WWII or XX century in general. This period of time is when Poland was very internally divided and weak and just about to lose independence for 123 years so it's a very good setting for dramatic men with sideburns screaming about their Motherland and being bad at politics. And if you've read anything by Ikeda then you know that she has this flamboyant and super melodramatic style that makes this read like an A+ period drama.

As far as historical accuracy goes there are some changes, obviously, but all in all I was really impressed by how faithful it was. And it's not just the events - the characters are mostly historical figures and there is a lot of attention to detail, their designs were clearly based on real portraits, and their portrayal is nuanced and interesting. There are even more visual references, some panels are just recreations of historical paintings. And the backgrounds and clothing are just gorgeous. There is some historical commentary which wasn't like what I was taught in school, so that was also very interesting, getting to see an outside perspective of these events. It felt like Ikeda was really fascinated by this story and really put in great effort and it's just so nice :unsmith:

There are a lot of timeskips and I'm not sure how understandable the story'd be for someone who's not familiar with it already. Also I don't think there is any official English translation and the one I found online was Not Great. So this is not really a strong recommendation but I enjoyed this manga a lot and I'm really glad I've found it, it's a real gem.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Oh man, I remember finding that on MangaDex and then it just refusing to load until I gave up on it. I should track it down and actually download it so I can read it.

I recall hearing Ikeda also did a sort-of sequel to Rose of Versailles about Napoleon, which I'm also interested in, but I have no idea if anyone's even tried to translate it. (I have to be honest, probably my favorite part of RoV is where Napoleon walks by entirely so he can overwhelm Oscar with his aura)

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I haven't read RoV yet but definitely will, if only for more Napoleon being a dick

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Random chapter of Shirley dropped. Always remember to check your pantry before engaging in baking.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Random chapter of Shirley dropped. Always remember to check your pantry before engaging in baking.

I'd love to see a consistent continuation of this some day.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

About the Movement of the Earth (Chi - Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite) is a fairly recent series out of the pages of Shogakukan's Big Comic Spirits, with a focus on the Copernican Revolution:

quote:

The setting is 15th century Poland. It was a time when heretical ideas lead those to who possessed such a mindset to being burned at the stake for their beliefs.

The protagonist, Rafal, a child prodigy, is expected to major in theology, the most important subject at the time, at the university.

One day, however, he comes across a mysterious man, and is now studying a possible "truth" in the midst of heretical thought!
The series got 2nd place in the most recent Manga Taisho and for now, the first four chapters are on cubari, covering the entirety of volume 1, :nws: for some torture.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

New Vinland Saga

Good to see they remembered the natives are not all hippies. When the Shaman has a flashback, he's remembering other native americans practicing slash-and-burn agriculture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I continue to hope that Vinland Saga goes the alternate history route instead of being historical fiction.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I really do wonder what would have happened to the world had Thorfinn's settlement worked out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The spread of old world diseases would devastate the American continent earlier than expected

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
On the other hand, ~500 years is more than enough for the population to recover and gain immunities and the colonization of the Americas would look completely different if 95% of the native population wasn't dead becouse of the plague at the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lt. Lizard posted:

On the other hand, ~500 years is more than enough for the population to recover and gain immunities and the colonization of the Americas would look completely different if 95% of the native population wasn't dead becouse of the plague at the time.

The Colonization may never have even happened if the Norse were able to work out some peaceful relations with the Indigenous Peoples.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'd be curious to hear some Native American takes on how the manga handled the indigenous people so far, and also what kind of tribe and culture the natives we've seen are based on.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

On the other hand, ~500 years is more than enough for the population to recover and gain immunities

It really isn't.
For one thing, there were/are genetic factors in play in addition to the acquired resistances from exposure. One factor, for example, is that Native Americans apparently have significantly fewer and massively more homogeneous HLA's which are very important in protecting individuals and population groups from epidemics. These factors are still in play even today, at least in groups which remain of mostly Native American ancestry without a lot of interbreeding.

The other problem is that the acquired resistance factor generally isn't inheritable, it 'works' by having a majority of the population exposed in childhood so that the deaths are mostly infants and adults are mostly immune/resistant. This is only the case as long as the disease remains endemic, instead of only cropping up intermittently. A smallpox epidemic during the Revolutionary War hit the American forces considerably harder than the British Army, for example, because the colonists were much less likely to have been exposed to smallpox as children.

The only way that particular counter-factual works is a much earlier invention of vaccination/antibiotics, or a ton of peaceful immigration to the Americas over centuries, in which no foreign state moves to exploit the resultant chaos and mass-deaths and the immigrants all integrate into native cultures instead of the other way around.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mygna posted:

The only way that particular counter-factual works is a much earlier invention of vaccination/antibiotics, or a ton of peaceful immigration to the Americas over centuries, in which no foreign state moves to exploit the resultant chaos and mass-deaths and the immigrants all integrate into native cultures instead of the other way around.

Well, if there is someone who could do that, it would be Thorfinn. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lt. Lizard posted:

Well, if there is someone who could do that, it would be Thorfinn. :v:
thorfinn, yes.

not so much the fellas who tagged along.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

where is anyone reading anything without dex

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mygna posted:

Years of Rice and Salt did had a Japanese castaway inoculating the Iroquois against Smallpox, which would ensure they would remain an independent state until the 2000s...

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
A Bride's Story is back up and running. Just casually reminding us that the russians are still coming :ohdear:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Coming, but coming where? I've never been totally clear where we are. This chapter says lots about town and steppe, but like, again, where? Who is the actual current overlord? Are we in the Bukhara Emirate? That seems like the most LIKELY candidate since we're dealing primarily with Uzbeks in the case of Karluk's town, while Talas from not too far off is Karakalpak and I think Amir and her family are stated to be Kazakhs?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Story takes place in and around where modern day Kazakhstan will be. Karlok and Pariya live in Uzbekistan and this is all taking place in the 19th century. A casual google search would probably put it closer to 186X since that's when I am finding Russia attacking Uzbekistan and the nomads that also lived in the steppes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

On a practical level many of the nomads and small towns have no actual connection to the government that controls the land around them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There is a new Vinland up.

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/U4DEuu1/1/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Oh god I'm suuuuuuuuper nervous about this :ohdear:

I want things to go well. I really do.