Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Question about this Saison I'm fermenting currently:

Been in the fermenter a little over two weeks, it's come down from 1.053 to 1.007 so it's probably close to full attenuation. However, when I pulled a sample to take a gravity reading, it's throwing a very lager-like aroma on the nose, and tastes a little hot, but neither of these things are unpleasant, just unexpected (I assumed fermenting around 25c wouldn't produce fusel alcohols with a Saison yeast). I know Saison yeasts can be sulphurous during fermentation, but I'm not getting very much Saison flavour character from it. Is it likely to develop a bit more if I let it sit for another week or so?

Three weeks in the fermenter can be required for full attenuation, especially with the Dupont strain. 25C is a reasonable temperature for quite a few of the strains out there.

As for fermentation characteristics I am of the opinion that saisons require some conditioning time to come into their own. At least that has been true for Dupont, Blaugies and Thrirez strains, in that order of time required.

If you're using a STA-1 strain and a reasonably fermentable wort I would think 1.007 is not done, but there are a lot of variables here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Speaking of yeasts, is there a good resource that will tell you what strains are the same between manufacturers? I've been noticing some of my regular yeasts that should be available aren't so looking for the same strain is a bit of a pain.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

calandryll posted:

Speaking of yeasts, is there a good resource that will tell you what strains are the same between manufacturers? I've been noticing some of my regular yeasts that should be available aren't so looking for the same strain is a bit of a pain.

I’ve seen them in the past, but the only one I know that’s maintained is the MTF one for funk and bacteria. What strain are you looking to find or is it just most of them are going in and out of stock for you?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Here's one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XRUloO3WXqH9Ixsf5vx2DIKDmrEQJ36tLRBmmya7Jo/edit#gid=1846233287

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

I also like this one.

https://www.saltcitybrewsupply.com/media/YeastComparison3.pdf

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Jhet posted:

I’ve seen them in the past, but the only one I know that’s maintained is the MTF one for funk and bacteria. What strain are you looking to find or is it just most of them are going in and out of stock for you?

Since I've been brewing infrequently, I haven't been keeping yeast in house. I picked up some LalBrew Köln and was curious to see how it is like the other Kolsch strains.

Thanks for these. I just wish some of the manufacturers would give more information in their descriptions.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Thanks thread. I'm using mangrove jack's French Saison yeast which I believe is pretty much identical to the lallemand belle Saison strain, so it is a diastaticus strain. I wasn't planning on packaging for at least three weeks, so I'll wait for it to get closer to 1.000. Hopefully it'll off gas a bit and I'll actually get some Saison character.

Picked up a fermzilla for $50 so I'm excited to start experimenting with pressure fermentation, gonna throw a cheap cider recipe at it first to get to grips with it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've always believed the fad of going back to bottling saison in green bottles was a pretentious gimmick; that skunkyness could never be desirable in beer. However, now I think I might be coming around. I bottled my last tart saison in both green and brown bottles, and they've got about 6 months or so in bottles now, sitting in indirect light. The green bottles don't taste particularly skunky, but once in a while you get a whiff of that "aged Dupont/Blaugies" smell, which seems to project a lot further than my mixed-ferm saisons normally do. It adds an extra dimension to the beer.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Here's another yeast cross-reference chart I found in my bookmarks:

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

I've always believed the fad of going back to bottling saison in green bottles was a pretentious gimmick; that skunkyness could never be desirable in beer. However, now I think I might be coming around. I bottled my last tart saison in both green and brown bottles, and they've got about 6 months or so in bottles now, sitting in indirect light. The green bottles don't taste particularly skunky, but once in a while you get a whiff of that "aged Dupont/Blaugies" smell, which seems to project a lot further than my mixed-ferm saisons normally do. It adds an extra dimension to the beer.

The problem I have is that I only get aged Dupont/Blaugies. So I wouldn't know if it's better or worse fresh and unstruck or not. Saying that, I have used green champagne bottles in the past, and the beers that I've put in them have not aged as gently as the ones in brown glass. They lose what little hop character quicker in green, and don't really present as well as the others either. They taste older than they are might be a good way to put it. I didn't put any of my funky mixed ferm saisons in green though, and I'm not sure I ever will.

Saying that, I have no real problem with beer being put in green bottles, but it's not the profile I want for the beer I've made while aging. And I've long since made my peace with getting fresh Dupont or Blaugies on the wrong continent. It's honestly a lot like drinking Guinness at or close to the source. Absolutely better, but the difference is okay and just part of the deal over here.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Planning on making this at the weekend in a grainfather.
Since it was posted in this thread a while ago has anyone made it and got any tips?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I would say the second hop addition is probably an error. Odd that it would split out the same hop and time as two separate additions. I looked at my copy and it says the same thing. I would assume the second one is 60 minutes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I've not brewed this recipe, but I would halve the amount of black strap molasses, at least first time out.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I would also add the molasses much later in the boil, possibly at flameout. No reason to drive off volatiles by boiling it for 90 minutes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If I wanted to add grilled peaches to a brew... My thought is the best way to add is to grill, cut into chunks, freeze, then add in secondary. I could puree instead but I feel like thatll make it cloudy as hell.

Anyways this weird rear end experiment is gonna be fun. Peach wheat ale!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If I wanted to add grilled peaches to a brew... My thought is the best way to add is to grill, cut into chunks, freeze, then add in secondary. I could puree instead but I feel like thatll make it cloudy as hell.

Anyways this weird rear end experiment is gonna be fun. Peach wheat ale!

Yep, that sounds like a great plan for your process. It'll be interesting to hear how the smoke works with the fruit in the beer. Let them thaw before adding to your fermenting beer, and you should be good. The peaches will float, so you'll want to punch them down or swirl the fermenter so that they change position on the top and get better covered by the beer so they don't have a chance to mold.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Peaches have a TON of pectin, it's going to be cloudy as hell regardless. Probably taste great though!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
You usually use pectic enzymes when making fruit wines to extract more flavour and combat pectin haze, no reason it wouldn't work with beer too. It might not fall completely clear since secondary is usually shorter than the time a wine spends bulk ageing, but it should definitely help.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

You usually use pectic enzymes when making fruit wines to extract more flavour and combat pectin haze, no reason it wouldn't work with beer too. It might not fall completely clear since secondary is usually shorter than the time a wine spends bulk ageing, but it should definitely help.

This is true and will work pretty well, but it's a wheat beer and completely unnecessary. Just ride the fruity haze.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

calandryll posted:

I would say the second hop addition is probably an error. Odd that it would split out the same hop and time as two separate additions. I looked at my copy and it says the same thing. I would assume the second one is 60 minutes.

Noted, will do this

thotsky posted:

I've not brewed this recipe, but I would halve the amount of black strap molasses, at least first time out.

Gonna stick with the recommended amount because I'd already ordered a bunch of jars and have no other uses. If it sucks and I want to try again I'll use less next time.

more falafel please posted:

I would also add the molasses much later in the boil, possibly at flameout. No reason to drive off volatiles by boiling it for 90 minutes.

I'll pop it in at 30 mins until the end of boil (guessing flameout is the end of boil?)

Realised I don't have any allspice so I need to get that in before I start brewing tomorrow but other than that the kitchen has been cleaned and I'm ready to kick off.
It's only my 4th time brewing but I do love a brew day.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jhet posted:

This is true and will work pretty well, but it's a wheat beer and completely unnecessary. Just ride the fruity haze.

Oh, I skipped over that. Yes, in that case embrace the haze.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

freelop posted:

Noted, will do this

I've noticed quite a few errors in his book, I'm going to be making the Christmas gruit in the near future for a beer exchange and there are quite a few errors in that recipe.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I got my 1 gallon jug from amazon in the mail today so I decided to try it out. I sterilized it with bleach then I put half a bag of sugar and a bunch of saf0instant bakers yeast. I think I put too much yeast but I wasn't sure and I figured if there is lots it will make up of for any poor cleaning job I did. Then I put the cork in and the co2 lock. Hopefully in a week I will have some alcohol!

This is my first try to its obviously kind of crude, just a test to see if this whole "yeast" thing actually works

The yeasty boys are bubbling so I think its working?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW1qyIoGq2w

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Note that the pH in that sugar wash is probably going to crash and the yeast will give up well before they've managed to ferment the sugar fully.

Also it's probably not going to taste great.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
That is going to taste like rear end at least throw yeast into some apple juice or something with flavor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Wow posted:

That is going to taste like rear end at least throw yeast into some apple juice or something with flavor.

There is going to be a stage two to this process but I don't know if posting about that part is a good idea, I think its a crime.....

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Note that the pH in that sugar wash is probably going to crash and the yeast will give up well before they've managed to ferment the sugar fully.

Also it's probably not going to taste great.

How should I adjust the pH in future? I could make the water more basic or acidic if that would increase the yield.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 28, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Rutibex posted:

There is going to be a stage two to this process but I don't know if posting about that part is a good idea, I think its a crime.....
How should I adjust the pH in future? I could make the water more basic or acidic if that would increase the yield.

Even then you want nutrients for the yeast. Some tomato paste or something.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

There's a few sugar wash recipes floating around with better information, but basically you want to start with water that's buffered with crushed oyster shells or something similar to avoid pH crashing to a point where it's too acidic for the yeast, and also you need nutrients in some form or the yeast will probably stall.

Google TFFV wash for some ideas

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thotsky posted:

Even then you want nutrients for the yeast. Some tomato paste or something.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

There's a few sugar wash recipes floating around with better information, but basically you want to start with water that's buffered with crushed oyster shells or something similar to avoid pH crashing to a point where it's too acidic for the yeast, and also you need nutrients in some form or the yeast will probably stall.

Google TFFV wash for some ideas
:hmmyes:
Thanks! That TFFV recipe looks like exactly what I'm after. I was following this video by Nilered and he says not to use any nutrients because its just pure sugar; but he is a chemistry student so he might not know what he is talking about. I have a hydrometer so I'll be able to test the alcohol % for this batch and compare it to a more optimized recipe next time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txm7eu8KxVI

Then step two (after I legally purchase fully taxed high proof alcohol) I am going to use a Soxhlet Extractor to flavor it. I am thinking maybe orange peels? I'm basically doing this to test out my glassware :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-CEHUrjek

Edit: oh I just found the spirits thread sorry beer folk I will not bother you any more!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 29, 2021

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

thotsky posted:

Some tomato paste or something.

You're reminding me of the pizza beer I had at homebrew con. It was good for about 2 oz, after that it was too much.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Edit: oh I just found the spirits thread sorry beer folk I will not bother you any more!

https://youtube.com/c/StillIt

There’s this YouTube channel that I’ve been liking. Because people live in New Zealand. He’s pretty good at explaining what he’s doing and not terrible to listen talk.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jhet posted:

https://youtube.com/c/StillIt

There’s this YouTube channel that I’ve been liking. Because people live in New Zealand. He’s pretty good at explaining what he’s doing and not terrible to listen talk.

That's a fantastic channel I've seen a few of his videos. The peach brandy one looked tasty :cheers:

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

calandryll posted:

You're reminding me of the pizza beer I had at homebrew con. It was good for about 2 oz, after that it was too much.

There's a guy in my beer club who does poo poo like this all the time. Salsa beer, Chicago hot dog beer, Bloody Mary beer. It's awful.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

My personal feeling is that those are all great foods to eat with a beer alongside. Sure, I'll take a Chicago dog and a beer. But I don't really want them in the same glass.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My sister has caught the mead bug after a few years of drinking it at my place. She just bottled her first batch (a gallon of plain old honey, with some sliced oranges thrown in the jug) this morning and she's already caramelizing more honey to make a batch of bouchet.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I ferment in kegs. Been cold crashing a pale ale for about two weeks and finally get around to transferring this morning. First keg? Just fine. Second keg? Didn’t even want to push out the trub.

Boo. So I’ve hit the “out” with some co2 to stir whatever is stuck in the line. Will have to come back to it again later this weekend.

File this under: The Fuller’s strain is like fermenting with giant rocks that happen to turn sugar water into delicious beer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LaserWash posted:

I ferment in kegs. Been cold crashing a pale ale for about two weeks and finally get around to transferring this morning. First keg? Just fine. Second keg? Didn’t even want to push out the trub.

Boo. So I’ve hit the “out” with some co2 to stir whatever is stuck in the line. Will have to come back to it again later this weekend.

File this under: The Fuller’s strain is like fermenting with giant rocks that happen to turn sugar water into delicious beer.

The Fullers strain is really clumpy, yeah. Did you trim the ends of your fermenting dip tubes to not drag on the bottom? I did and that solved my clogging problems even with 4+ oz of dry hop pellets. I have a friend who loves the floating dip tube for it too and I may give it a try when I stop being lazy about buying a freezer.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
A floating dip tube could also work. Only suggestion I would have if you use one is to add a weight to keep the tip below the surface.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Jhet posted:

The Fullers strain is really clumpy, yeah. Did you trim the ends of your fermenting dip tubes to not drag on the bottom? I did and that solved my clogging problems even with 4+ oz of dry hop pellets. I have a friend who loves the floating dip tube for it too and I may give it a try when I stop being lazy about buying a freezer.

One of the kegs I ferment in is a “racetrack” keg. I’m thinking of buying the device that cuts around the dip tube for that keg to test out that method.

How much have you cut off yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I switched over to floating dip tubes this year and can highly recommend it.