Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Uthor posted:

Edit: I misremembered. They're regular sized hardcovers.

I didn't get those because I was waiting for what I thought would be the inevitable oversized versions. At least I have the original issues.

And I wish they'd do oversized releases of Roberts's Transformers run. There are oversized Transformers collections but they include multiple series even though they aren't really connected; I just want the Robert stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm looking for some recommendations that's not just Marvel/DC superhero stuff, and not too long, preferably self contained finished stories. Genre doesn't even matter all that much, as long as it's interesting and somewhat original, you know? My interest in reading comics comes and goes but lately I've got the itch again and I spent the last week reading some stuff I really enjoyed. I've read and enjoyed:

FreakAngels. Really loved this one. Just a fun and interesting story with good characters and the right amount of explicit content. Not too gory but not shying away from violence and serious topics either.
Ice Cream Man. A fun collection of horror stories centered around an evil otherworldly being. Reminded me a lot of Stephen King in some ways (obviously, if you've read it), but I loved the experimentation in different styles, genres and presentations.
Ha Ha. Because I loved Ice Cream Man I started reading this. Loving it as well, can't wait for more.
Ocean. A fun little sci-fi story that was recommended to me and I enjoyed, but it wasn't really mind blowing or anything. I enjoyed it, though. I started reading Orbiter but it hasn't clicked quite yet, I'll probably finish it though.
Trees. Loved this one as well. Great atmosphere and I enjoyed the alien mystery of it all.
Paper Girls: This was so. loving. good. I enjoyed every minute reading this and it's one of those stories I wish I could forget so I could experience it again for the first time.
Southern Bastards was really good too. Another story that reminded me of Stephen King (except instead of his utterly alien kind of evil this one was more the mundane small town evil he does well.)
Folklords. Fun fantasy adventure stuff, surprisingly gory at times but not in a bad way. Can't wait for more.
Watchmen. I dunno, like a decade ago when I was studying literature at uni I picked it up because it was supposed to be amazing. It's really good and I absolutely loved it, of course, but (maybe this is one of those cases where it was ground breaking at the time but because you've seen it a dozen times since it feels dated) I wouldn't enjoy a reread, I think.
Maus. Kind of required reading for a nerd like me studying literature. Left an impression but I don't really know what to say about it that hasn't already been said a 100 times.
Preacher. I mean, it's fun as gently caress.

I started reading Saga a couple of years ago and it's loving amazing but I got busy with life stuff about halfway through. I'm planning on getting back into it soon but I'm waiting for the right moment because I have to pick back up where I finished, and I don't even quite know where I left off. Kinda feels like getting back into a computer game you stopped playing a long time ago, where you have to take the time to really commit and get back into it.

Things I tried but didn't like so didn't finish:
The Incal. It's supposed be a classic and the setting and story is fine, but I really can't get past the fact that it's constantly both show and tell. The character yelling "They just broke through the wall and started firing their lasers at me!" in a speech bubble while the last two panels just showed that gets tiresome really, really fast and it does it constantly. I guess that was the way comics were written at the time, or maybe it's part of the style, but it's really off putting.
The Fall. Got pretty far in this one but it's just not interesting enough. I liked it okay, and I liked that it's implied to be in the same universe as Stephen King's The Stand (third reference to King in this post, lol) but once they got into the mountains it was just... meh. Yeah it's hard to survive and there's factions and everything but it kinda felt like it was trying to float on shock value (even good people resort to cannibalism to survive, ewww) without doing anything interesting.
Reborn. It was cool I guess and I was hooked for a bit but it just felt like your standard western fantasy RPG story that didn't do enough with the initial premise. Maybe I'll pick this up again and finish it, maybe I won't.
Walking Dead. Yeah it's good but it just drags on too long and I just got bored with it. It was interesting to see the differences between the comics and the tv show, though.

I've read, hated and loved a bunch of other stuff but these are the ones that are either recent or stand out in my memory.

It's a pretty varied list but I'm hoping some of you will read it have something pop into your head like "You gotta read X because you loved Y and it's along the same lines!" or whatever. Genre doesn't really matter, art doesn't really matter, as long as it's interesting and surprises me in some way and preferably isn't too long. I'm not adverse to Marvel/DC superhero stuff at all, by the way, as long as it's fairly self contained. I'm familiar with both settings and characters, seen the movies, etc, but I don't want something like Civil War where you have to google a reading order list just to get the full story. Did that, enjoyed it at the time, but it's a slog I'm not up to right now. I read Vote Loki for example and despite not knowing some of the characters (like his sister? also Thor is a woman now?) I really enjoyed it but anything longer than that and I'll lose interest before I finish it, unless it's really, really good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you haven't read it, Sandman, it's technically DC and the first arc has some cameos from Batman and whatever, but it's like individual panels and very quickly becomes it's own thing. 75 issues, so not a short run. Absolutely self contained though.

Darwin Cooke's Parker adaptations. those are all self contained and like 6 issues per story.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks, I'll check out Cooke.

Can't believe I didn't mention Sandman. Kinda the same deal as with Saga. Started it years ago, absolutely adored it but never finished it and it's too big of a commitment right now. Just loved all the referencesp and interpretations and stylistic choices especially because I was still in the middle of my English lit degree at uni at the time. That Nerdwriter1 video on youtube sums up my feelings about it quite well. It and Saga will probably warrant a completely fresh read over the summer though!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Taeke posted:

Thanks, I'll check out Cooke.

Can't believe I didn't mention Sandman. Kinda the same deal as with Saga. Started it years ago, absolutely adored it but never finished it and it's too big of a commitment right now. Just loved all the referencesp and interpretations and stylistic choices especially because I was still in the middle of my English lit degree at uni at the time. That Nerdwriter1 video on youtube sums up my feelings about it quite well. It and Saga will probably warrant a completely fresh read over the summer though!

Saga isn't finished. Sandman is.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Check out Jonathan Hickman's work. You'd probably love East of West. Mixes that sci-fi with horror with religion.

Hard Boiled by Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow is fun as heck (ultra violent, hyper detailed).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you like Southern Bastards check out Scalped. Same writer and also hard boiled griminess. Instead of a small town with a corrupt coach it's a native reservation.

If you like horror stuff I would recommend Beasts of Burden (homeward bound meets Lovecraft - a bunch of pets are the only thing protecting their small town from various monsters/ghosts/demons etc) and Locke and Key (kids move into an old house and find keys that unlock magical powers).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Astro City. It deconstructs hero books like Watchmen does but it's less cynical.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 8, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Taeke posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations that's not just Marvel/DC superhero stuff, and not too long, preferably self contained finished stories. Genre doesn't even matter all that much, as long as it's interesting and somewhat original, you know? My interest in reading comics comes and goes but lately I've got the itch again and I spent the last week reading some stuff I really enjoyed. I've read and enjoyed:

FreakAngels. Really loved this one. Just a fun and interesting story with good characters and the right amount of explicit content. Not too gory but not shying away from violence and serious topics either.
Ice Cream Man. A fun collection of horror stories centered around an evil otherworldly being. Reminded me a lot of Stephen King in some ways (obviously, if you've read it), but I loved the experimentation in different styles, genres and presentations.
Ha Ha. Because I loved Ice Cream Man I started reading this. Loving it as well, can't wait for more.
Ocean. A fun little sci-fi story that was recommended to me and I enjoyed, but it wasn't really mind blowing or anything. I enjoyed it, though. I started reading Orbiter but it hasn't clicked quite yet, I'll probably finish it though.
Trees. Loved this one as well. Great atmosphere and I enjoyed the alien mystery of it all.
Paper Girls: This was so. loving. good. I enjoyed every minute reading this and it's one of those stories I wish I could forget so I could experience it again for the first time.
Southern Bastards was really good too. Another story that reminded me of Stephen King (except instead of his utterly alien kind of evil this one was more the mundane small town evil he does well.)
Folklords. Fun fantasy adventure stuff, surprisingly gory at times but not in a bad way. Can't wait for more.
Watchmen. I dunno, like a decade ago when I was studying literature at uni I picked it up because it was supposed to be amazing. It's really good and I absolutely loved it, of course, but (maybe this is one of those cases where it was ground breaking at the time but because you've seen it a dozen times since it feels dated) I wouldn't enjoy a reread, I think.
Maus. Kind of required reading for a nerd like me studying literature. Left an impression but I don't really know what to say about it that hasn't already been said a 100 times.
Preacher. I mean, it's fun as gently caress.

I started reading Saga a couple of years ago and it's loving amazing but I got busy with life stuff about halfway through. I'm planning on getting back into it soon but I'm waiting for the right moment because I have to pick back up where I finished, and I don't even quite know where I left off. Kinda feels like getting back into a computer game you stopped playing a long time ago, where you have to take the time to really commit and get back into it.

A few titles to seek out:

Y The Last Man. A virus kills ever living thing with a Y chromosome, except for one young man (an escape artist) and his pet monkey. Now women rule the world, and he might be the most important person alive. This is written by Brian K. Vaughan (before Saga and Paper Girls), it's over and done with, and it is being made into a TV series.

Chew. Set in a food-obsessed world where chicken is a huge black market commodity, the FDA is a powerful government agency that investigates food-related crimes, and lots of people have different food-related super powers. One of my favorite series, it covers so many genres: action, crime, horror, sci-fi, and comedy. Over and done with, 60 issues collected in twelve TPBs.

Sex Criminals. A young couple realizes they can both freeze time while having sex, so they use their new ability to start robbing banks to save an underfunded library, and get themselves in trouble with the Sex Police. It's a comedy with plenty of nudity and frank discussion of sexuality, but it's also a heartfelt romance that veers into heavy drama. Over and done with, collected in six TPBs.

Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt. It's a modern reexamination of Watchmen, using the character that Ozymandias/Adrian Veidt was based on in the first place. Just a six-issue miniseries collected in a single TPB.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Thanks everyone! That should keep me busy for a bit.

e:
I started on Chew because the premise sounds batshit and it's tons of fun so far, exactly what I need this weekend.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 8, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Taeke posted:

Thanks everyone! That should keep me busy for a bit.

e:
I started on Chew because the premise sounds batshit and it's tons of fun so far, exactly what I need this weekend.

This makes me stupidly happy. I wish I could read it again for the first time. Enjoy!

Chew even inspired me to start my own food blog, which is developing a small Florida following three years into writing it: http://www.saboscrivner.com .

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's cool. :)

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it a lot, thanks again. Went through 25 issues just today and I still got a couple more hours ahead of me. The art is great, the story and characters are interesting and a good balance between gore and humor. I love all the background gags to keep an eye out for like the Fringe division showing up multiple times, Matt and Trey with a giant Butters statue during a butter sculpting competition, etc..

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In my continuing trend of reading the MCU related stuff, are any of the Eternals or Shang-Chi comics worth reading, and if so where would you start?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just started the original Eternals stuff and it's good if you like 60s Kirby stuff. Beyond that the Gaiman mini is usually considered the best of them

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You can't really go wrong with any Eternals as long as you have a taste for the era it's written in. The only exception being The Eternal which was a terrible, terrible, terrible, Marvel Max series. Avoid it like the plague.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Beyond that the Gaiman mini is usually considered the best of them

I know I own this but I can't think of a single thing that happened during it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Azhais posted:

In my continuing trend of reading the MCU related stuff, are any of the Eternals or Shang-Chi comics worth reading, and if so where would you start?

The original 70s Master of Kung Fu series is pretty good, with some beautifully illustrated martial arts fights by Paul Gulacy and the sadly short-lived Gene Day.

On the other hand, it's also got Fu Manchu in it. Doug Moench isn't a deep-dyed racist like Sax Rohmer was, but still, it's hard to use Fu Manchu without bringing in a host of Yellow Peril tropes with him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The recent Shang Chi mini was pretty good and he has a new ongoing that directly spins out of it.

Both are written by Gene Luen Yang, so it avoids the old yellow peril stuff that was tied into the character.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Azhais posted:

Both current books are really good. As mentioned earlier, Yang is writing Shang-Chi, and Gillen is writing Eternals.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Azhais posted:

The 1970s Master of Kung-Fu series has been one of my surprise favourites from doing the Complete Marvel Reading Order. You have to be willing to overlook a fair bit of Orientalism/Yellow Peril tone but if you can it's absolutely worth doing so.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Quote is not Edit

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

The 1970s Master of Kung-Fu series has been one of my surprise favourites from doing the Complete Marvel Reading Order. You have to be willing to overlook a fair bit of Orientalism/Yellow Peril tone but if you can it's absolutely worth doing so.

Dear god, really?

The art is exceptional but I think Doug Moench is arguably the worst regular writer in 70s marvel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The art is exceptional but I think Doug Moench is arguably the worst regular writer in 70s marvel.

There's no way that's true. I haven't read his Master of Kung Fu, but his Moon Knight was good even beyond the Scienkawitz art.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Dear god, really?

I just found the mishmash of espionage and Kung-Fu genres incredibly compelling.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I just found the mishmash of espionage and Kung-Fu genres incredibly compelling.

Yeah, 70s MOKF is Moench's love letter to two genres -- chopsocky movies and British adventure stories (the Fu Manchu books, Bulldog Drummond, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, etc.).

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Okay, I haven't read comics much in about fifteen years. What would be a good thing to read from Marvel and DC? I can pick up small independent short runs from other places pretty easily but it seems like the majors have leaned super hard into big events and the status quo in Marvel and DC has been reset a dozen times. I have no idea what is even approachable.

Major things that I used to like included

Morrison's JLA run
Peter David's Supergirl run
Animal Man
Justice League International
Ultimate Spiderman
The Green lantern stuff with Kyle Rayner

That sure is some pretty 90s/early 00s poo poo right there

T.C. fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 5, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

What kinds of things are you looking for? Do you want to jump into current storylines and events or more stand alone titles? Any characters you wanna follow? Do you want humor, horror, action, sci-fi, etc?

Recently, Squirrel Girl by Ryan North ended. It's super upbeat and oozes positivity and is hilarious.

X-Men had a reboot 2-3 years ago by Hickman and has a full line of titles the are siloed from the rest of Marvel. I find them pretty sci-fi as that's what the guy running the line does highly sci-fi stories. Start with House of X/Powers of X.

I don't really follow DC, so don't know what to recommend over there. I know Grant Morrison has had recent Batman and Superman runs. They wrote All Star Superman like a decade ago and it's a classic Superman story at this point.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 5, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel stuff that's *mostly* not part of events unless

Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction, Brubaker, and Aja

Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja

Fantastic Four by Waid

New X-Men by Morrison

Fantastic Four/FF by Hickman (you'll need a read order)

Avengers/New Avengers by Hickman (you'll need a read order)

Thor by Aaron (you'll need a read order - this runs into one or two events but they're not bad)

Immortal Hulk by Ewing (this isn't quite finished, but will be by the end of the year)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would recommend Morrison's Batman run if you like Morrison stuff. Snyder's Batman run if you like Batman. Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow run is pretty good with gorgeous artwork. Tomasi's Green Lantern Corp run if you want some Kyle Rayner stuff and good Green Lantern stuff. Also recommend (and this is controversial because Tom King is worst ever tm) Omega Men as well for some space spy intrigue stuff.
Tomasi also had a pretty solid Superman run which is worth looking for. King's Batman run has peaks and valleys so mileage may vary on that. Tom Taylor did a pretty great 11 issue Suicide Squad run that did something different for once and would recommend picking that up if you are interested in the suicide squad.

Those are some DC recommendations. Will post more when more come to mind.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
DC has an incredible sale on Green Lantern at Comixology right now. Ridiculously cheap. Their best sale in years.

What are the highlights besides Lemire and Grell?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

hadji murad posted:

DC has an incredible sale on Green Lantern at Comixology right now. Ridiculously cheap. Their best sale in years.

What are the highlights besides Lemire and Grell?

To be obvious: the O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow. I'd have recommended Emerald Dawn too, but apparently it's not included.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Selachian posted:

To be obvious: the O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow. I'd have recommended Emerald Dawn too, but apparently it's not included.

It looks like it’s green arrow

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
I had this one come my way and I really really enjoyed it

The storytelling and artwork were an absolute *joy* to consume. These interwoven vignettes paint a vivid universe, exploring a compelling sampling of sophisticated social and financial exchanges.

The use and exploitation of identity and trust as currencies in a gritty capitalist techo-distopian future manages to blur the line between persons and machines.

It's all indie and cyberpunk and I'm gunna look up the first 4 now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So the Dollaramas in Canada had been getting in DC and some Marvel graphic novels, I picked up a ton for good prices ($4 CDN, so about 1/4 to 1/5 the coverprice) but because it was so piecemeal, I'm wondering which stories are worth tracking down the other volumes in the series to complete, and which ones are generally considered to be bad overall. Here's the list, minus the ones I know are standalone or I'm already planning on finishing out.

Ame-Comi Girls- Earth in Crisis (Vol 3)
    Aquaman and the Others- Legacy of Gold (Vol 1)
    Aquaman and the Others- Alignment Earth (Vol 2)
    Batman- The Court of Owls (Vol 1)
    Batman- The City of Owls (Vol 2)
    Batman- Death of the Family (Vol 3)
    The Joker- Death of the Family
    Batman: Arkham Knight (Vol 3)
    Batman: Arkham Unhinged (Vol 1)
    Batman Incorperated- Demon Star (Vol 1)
    Batman Beyond- Brave New Worlds (Vol 1)
    Batman Beyond 2.0- Justice Lords Unleashed (Vol 2)
    Batman: Lil' Gothan (Vol 2)
    Batwoman- Hydrology (Vol 1)
    Batwoman- Webs (Vol 5)
    Batman/Superman- Second Chance (Vol 3)
    Batman/Superman- Truth Hurts (Vol 5)
    Convergence- Zero Hour (Vol 2)
    Cyborg- Unplugged (Vol 1)
    Earth 2- The Gathering (Vol 1)
    Earth 2: Society – Indivisible (Vol 2)
    Earth 2- The Kryptonian (Vol 5)
    G.I. Combat- The War That Time Forgot (Vol 1)
    Green Lantern: Lights Out
    Justice League United- Justice League Canada (Vol 1)
    Justice League United- The Infinitus Saga (Vol 2)
    Justice League- Darkside War (DC Essentials edition)
    Justice League- Darkside War- Power of the Gods
    Justice League 3001- Things Fall Apart (Vol 2)
    Martian Manhunter- The Epiphany (Vol 1)
    Robin- Son of Batman- Year of Blood (Vol 1)
    Superman- What Price Tomorrow? (Vol 1)
    Superman- Psi War (Vol 4)
    Superman- The Man of Tomorrow
    Superman- Before Truth (Vol 1)
    Superman- The Final Days of Superman
    Superman Action Comics- Hybrid (Vol 4)
    Adventures of Superman (Vol 2)
    Superman Adventures (Vol 1)
    Superman Adventures (Vol 3)
    Superman: The Journey
    Superman: Sacrifice
    Superman- Coming of the Supermen
    Superman/Wonder Woman- Power Couple (Vol 1)
    Superman/Wonder Woman- Casualties of War (Vol 3)
    Superman/Wonder Woman- Dark Truth (Vol 4)
    Superman/Wonder Woman- A Savage End (Vol 5)
    Daring New Adventures of Supergirl (Vol 1)
    Teen Titans- When Titans Fall (Vol 4)
    Teen Titans Earth One (Vol 2)
    Wonder Woman- War-Torn (Vol 7)
    Wonder Woman- A Twist of Fate (Vol 8)
    Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman (Vol 2)
    Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman (Vol 3)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lil' Gotham was fun.

Ami-girls is what it says on the tin. I enjoyed it for what it is, but you'll know if it's for you pretty quickly.

The first few volumes of that Batwoman run were great, stopped reading after JH Williams III walked off because DC refused to let Batwoman get married to a woman. 2011 was a different time...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 22, 2021

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I haven't read much new stuff recently that I was wild about. Actually, I haven't read much new stuff at all, but I haven't been in the right mindset.

I am rereading one of my favorite comics of the 21st Century to date -- G.I. Joe: Cobra: The Last Laugh, by co-writers Christos Gage and Mike Costa and artist Antonio Fuso. I'm sure I've recommended it here before, but I don't remember where or when. It's the best G.I. Joe story in any medium, ever, far surpassing any of the hundreds of comics written by G.I. Joe creator Larry Hama, and definitely better than the two movies and any of the cartoons.

The Last Laugh hardcover collects a long storyline that ran through several confusingly titled IDW series from 2009-2012, all called G.I. Joe: Cobra. It's a different continuity than Hama's long-running G.I. Joe comics -- much darker, more mature, more "real world" -- almost like a Vertigo take on the brightly colored, cartoonish G.I. Joe/Cobra conflict of past decades. Here, Cobra fulfills its potential as a powerful, successful, and SCARY "ruthless terrorist organization," not the losers and jobbers who were always retreating in the old '80s cartoon. Even the silliest, stupidest characters like Croc Master and Crystal Ball are reimagined to be pretty nightmarish. And in The Last Laugh, a Joe goes deep undercover to investigate Cobra and has to do some pretty horrible, ruthless things in order to survive.

It's very reminiscent of Sleeper, my favorite of all of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' collaborations. If you liked Sleeper, or if you have ANY nostalgia or even a vague, passing interest in G.I. Joe, I strongly recommend this. I own the out of print hardcover, and apparently a long-delayed TPB is coming out this month, but it has been delayed so many times, I'll believe it when I see it. If you have Comixology Unlimited, it looks like most of the issues are included, if anyone wants to read it that way. (It'll just be convoluted with the series titles and numbering, but I'll help if I can.)

I've since bought three of the later Costa/Fuso G.I. Joe: Cobra TPBs, and there are still some more out there, so I'm psyched to get to those next. I always like having some comics out there that I want, but I don't allow myself to get at the moment, to leave myself incomplete and have things to look forward to, just out of my grasp.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are there any bronze age onwards Spiderman runs worth checking out? I have read the whole Ultimate Spider-Man run and Zdarsky's Spidey stuff. I know the 90s were all clone saga stuff. Are there any collected 80s runs that hold up good?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Madkal posted:

Are there any bronze age onwards Spiderman runs worth checking out? I have read the whole Ultimate Spider-Man run and Zdarsky's Spidey stuff. I know the 90s were all clone saga stuff. Are there any collected 80s runs that hold up good?

Off the top of my head, there are the Kraven's Last Hunt and Death of Jean DeWolff arcs. There's also the whole Secret Wars/black costume/symbiote story, if you're curious to see where that started out.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
What are some abstract, off-the-wall comics that push the boundaries of what can be done with the medium? I'm thinking of J.H. Williams' panel layouts and other stuff that can't be done outside of comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Solitair posted:

What are some abstract, off-the-wall comics that push the boundaries of what can be done with the medium? I'm thinking of J.H. Williams' panel layouts and other stuff that can't be done outside of comics.

Trillium by Jeff Lemire does some interesting things with story structure. It tells a story about a man who travels forward in time and a woman who travels backwards and each issue does something different ie one issue has the top panels moving left to right for the forward passage in time and the bottom panels flipped for the backwards passage in time. Stuff like that.
Also We3 artwork by Quitely is really amazing and I just don't see any more replicating it.