Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I'd show mine but I'm sick and tired of this "bitch you live like this" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Well now I gotta see

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ooh, these are lovely, thanks for sharing! I definitely prefer something like this to the more sleek, "Apple store" look of the one I posted, so this was a great springboard.
And yeah, it's going in a pretty small room (spare bedroom) for now. The warning about this only being viable for a small collection is spooking me though, as I already have close to 50 records and it's only been a couple of months. :P My fault for being into so many genres, I guess!

I love the fact that appears to be a cat...posing for a picture...by a photo of the same cat? Cat says "Forget the room, clearly you're here to see ME!"

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!

jk that's my dad's here's mine

Treated myself today, called in sick and spent the entire day cleaning records and listening to music. I only made it through about half my stack of new purchases, so tomorrow I'm going to do the same thing! :v:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Tell him the sad alone loser man from the internet says it's a bad idea. Or just show him some of my posts. You'll be doing him a favor.

us Sad Alone Loser Men have to stick together. Apart, separately, Not Together ofc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

^ not sure on that speaker placement. I'm no audiophile, but might want a bit more space to breathe. From what I understand, they should never be in any sort of enclosure

I found a local dude that refurbishes old stereo cabinets:

Finally someone who knows about the Instax wide. Also I like those pants.

petit choux posted:

If any of you guys are social influencers and are getting paid to tell people about brand new records they can get for ridiculous sums, please let me in on the grift. I'll work for vinyl.

I'll buy things from you if you want to sell them at fair prices. Otherwise my suggestion is ebay.

petit choux posted:

I'd show mine but I'm sick and tired of this "bitch you live like this" poo poo.

Yeah I don't want anyone to see my horrible goon room.

pwn posted:

us Sad Alone Loser Men have to stick together. Apart, separately, Not Together ofc

I'm just looking for a man with low standards.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CPL593H posted:

Finally someone who knows about the Instax wide. Also I like those pants.
I'll buy things from you if you want to sell them at fair prices. Otherwise my suggestion is ebay.
Yeah I don't want anyone to see my horrible goon room.

Homer Simpson tangled in Christmas lights. Looks like you can still get them on ebay!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

In my early 20s a friend of a friend had a small house downtown, with literally every wall covered in shelves like that. Easily 10-12 of those, and all filled top to bottom with records. I'm like 99% sure he rented that place, and I've often wondered if he just resigned himself to never ever moving.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

In my early 20s a friend of a friend had a small house downtown, with literally every wall covered in shelves like that. Easily 10-12 of those, and all filled top to bottom with records. I'm like 99% sure he rented that place, and I've often wondered if he just resigned himself to never ever moving.

Hey. Hey.

Some of those were probably doubles.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I found a local dude that refurbishes old stereo cabinets:

I really like that refurbished cabinet! I'm planning on dropping a lot of money (for me anyways) on a locally made cabinet for my records on Thursday and this got me even more excited.

Also I had the same haircut as your dog in middle school. Looks a lot better on them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

Also I had the same haircut as your dog in middle school. Looks a lot better on them.

The Van Der Beek.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The Van Der Beek.

Yes that's it. Lol

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

The Van Der Beek.

The butt cut

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CaptainBeefart posted:

Yes that's it. Lol

The level of awful of that haircut depends greatly on if you were in high school in the 90s.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Van der Brink'd would be a good name for a band that only does ska covers of Disney Channel original movie soundtracks.

Ska dunk the funk, originally by boy band Five

skazel tov

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 26, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Van der Brink'd would be a good name for a band that only does ska covers of Disney Channel original movie soundtracks.

Ska dunk the funk, originally by boy band Five

That MTV original movie where there was a boy band where one of the members was played by Steve Farley should also be included in the act.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Van der Bark

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

CPL593H posted:

The level of awful of that haircut depends greatly on if you were in high school in the 90s.

Middle school thankfully.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This isn't everything. I inherited a bunch of albums from my parents and grandparents and nearly all of the albums are artists that don't interest me ... or anybody else, either. I have a crate of 45s, a handful of 78s and a storage bin of 8-tracks.

My Dad made the shelving unit years ago.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Enos Cabell posted:

Lol I have a lot of ideas about a process for moving. This collection has been growing for nearly 20 years so I’ve been shuffling some amount of these records around for awhile now. I’m not afraid of moving but I’m not also looking forward to it. It will just be something I’ll have to do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone else frequently buy poo poo from discogs sellers that grade the records way too high. This has happened with about 40% of everything I've bought on discogs in the last year and I just don't learn my lesson. I'm probably going to take a discogs break because Jesus gently caress it seems like these dickheads couldn't grade a record to save their lives. I understand people can't play grade every single thing they out up but they can at least take four seconds to hold the drat thing under a light before they declare it a VG+ when it's barely a VG-. gently caress off.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’m terrified of buying records on Discogs for that very reason. I’d rather try to find stuff in person than rely on someone else’s grading (and then list comments on the condition that conflict with their grade).

I’d also have no self control.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I read seller reviews and ask for photos. The more description they put in the listing is also a good thing to look for. I’ve gotten burned in the past but I feel like I’ve build a good muscle for sniffing out bad sellers / good sellers. Haven’t really had an issue. If I’m buying like a new record though and it’s a new seller I will always drop a line to just remove the disc from the sleeve. That always saves me.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Hot Diggity! posted:

Gonna need to find more storage soon, though.

So mad IKEA discontinued the pine-finished Kallax shelves and replaced them with some grayish fake wood looking piece of rear end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Silversun Pickups is having a limited black/white press of their Carnavas album.

https://www.newburycomics.com/products/silversun_pickups-carnavas_exclusive_2lp?variant=39851993235636

Limited whatever aside, I’m just glad to have the album re-release. I listened to it so much when it came out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

dorium posted:

I read seller reviews and ask for photos. The more description they put in the listing is also a good thing to look for. I’ve gotten burned in the past but I feel like I’ve build a good muscle for sniffing out bad sellers / good sellers. Haven’t really had an issue. If I’m buying like a new record though and it’s a new seller I will always drop a line to just remove the disc from the sleeve. That always saves me.

I check the reviews and you can't really take pictures that adequately tell you anything about the disc. A lot of sellers are dog poo poo at grading. The main reason I've resorted to using discogs is because of what a clusterfuck it is finding anything in a record store or a flea market these days. I never much liked buying records without being able to inspect them myself.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Ballz posted:

So mad IKEA discontinued the pine-finished Kallax shelves and replaced them with some grayish fake wood looking piece of rear end.

I absolutely agree. :(

This is restocking this Friday, for anyone who missed it the first time like I did. I hope the documentary turns out well!

https://twitter.com/MyPetFlamingoUK/status/1397583452564856834

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

I check the reviews and you can't really take pictures that adequately tell you anything about the disc. A lot of sellers are dog poo poo at grading. The main reason I've resorted to using discogs is because of what a clusterfuck it is finding anything in a record store or a flea market these days. I never much liked buying records without being able to inspect them myself.

im glad i learned how to haggle early in my life by going to lots of flea markets and random little cons in the area. if I go to a flea market now I can usually snag a bargain because these old geezers running things know im not gunna budge and they'd rather have the money than tow around all their copies of Whipped Cream.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Crossposting, but I just found one of the bigger pairs of speakers I've ever found, in a dumpster. The midrange speakers are both shot, please advise if you think they're at all salvageable. The enclosures would be kind of redeemable with a coat of paint. I don't want them, but waste not, want not.

Pioneer CS-G403. 16" woofers. Do they look shot?

ED: The covers are intact and look p good too.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 26, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Crossposting, but I just found one of the bigger pairs of speakers I've ever found, in a dumpster. The midrange speakers are both shot, please advise if you think they're at all salvageable. The enclosures would be kind of redeemable with a coat of paint. I don't want them, but waste not, want not.

Do the drivers just need to be refoamed or are they actually dead? Refoaming is easy and you can do it at home (depending on how many you have to do it might cost more than just buying new equivalent speakers, though).

But if those are working they will sound good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Do the drivers just need to be refoamed or are they actually dead? Refoaming is easy and you can do it at home (depending on how many you have to do it might cost more than just buying new equivalent speakers, though).

But if those are working they will sound good.

I don't know what refoamed means really. I can give you some more detailed pics though and you can tell me, maybe. They are pretty damned dirty RN and arent coming off the patio for a couple of days, weather permitting.

ED: Excuse me for my poor reading comprehension. I will run some cables out to them and find out after taking my car to the shop.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I don't know what refoamed means really. I can give you some more detailed pics though and you can tell me, maybe. They are pretty damned dirty RN and arent coming off the patio for a couple of days, weather permitting.

ED: Excuse me for my poor reading comprehension. I will run some cables out to them and find out after taking my car to the shop.

So around the edge of each driver (I think, hard to tell from the photo on the tweeter) is a foam surround. It allows the cone to move within the enclosure. Over time that foam disintegrates and it makes the speaker sound like rear end. Those foam surrounds aren’t very hard to replace though. You order a kit and it has everything you need. You just have to price it out though if all 6 drivers need to be refoamed. It might be cheaper to find a comparable working speaker if you get a deal.

Now if you just have completely dead drivers, you could always buy new ones from parts express or some place like that and just use the box and crossover. Or again, get new speakers. Replacement 12” woofers might be bucks.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 26, 2021

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

petit choux posted:

It is just my browser, or are your images always loving huge?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

midge posted:

It is just my browser, or are your images always loving huge?

No, sorry, I can resize them too.

BigFactory posted:

So around the edge of each driver (I think, hard to tell from the photo on the tweeter) is a foam surround. It allows the cone to move within the enclosure. Over time that foam disintegrates and it makes the speaker sound like rear end. Those foam surrounds aren’t very hard to replace though. You order a kit and it has everything you need. You just have to price it out though if all 6 drivers need to be refoamed. It might be cheaper to find a comparable working speaker if you get a deal.

Now if you just have completely dead drivers, you could always buy new ones from parts express or some place like that and just use the box and crossover. Or again, get new speakers. Replacement 12” woofers might be bucks.

I'll take some better photos now and I'll resize them for you. I think the foam, if I'm understanding this, doesn't look bad except on the midranges. And the woofers are 16"!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I'll take some better photos now and I'll resize them for you. I think the foam, if I'm understanding this, doesn't look bad except on the midranges. And the woofers are 16"!

Yeah take closeup pictures. Zooming in it looks like rubber surrounds on the woofers which is good.

Did you try these and they don’t work?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

petit choux posted:

If you add 'l' (lowercase L )to the end of the imgur url but before the .jpg links it auto makes them this big:

You can also change the SA img tags to timg

That makes it small but clickable.

pwn
May 27, 2004

much better to just use timg tags than to gimp the image size

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

or you can do what I did and open up your 30 year old speakers upon hearing some hosed up noises, find the foam is disentegrated into literal nothingness, and then suspend the driver from the enclosure with green painters tape and somehow have it sound perfect again.

edit: just use [img] imo if your browser doesn't resize images in 2021 thats a you problem

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Athanatos posted:

If you add 'l' (lowercase L )to the end of the imgur url but before the .jpg links it auto makes them this big:

I had not observed that, thanks much, and sorry for any inconvenience. I hadn't experimented with that. At any rate, I just resized these and will also do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

much better to just use timg tags than to gimp the image size

Yeah, I was having problems with that yesterday, partly due to using .png instead of .jpg I suspect.

The Walrus posted:

edit: just use [img] imo if your browser doesn't resize images in 2021 thats a you problem

Which is why I haven't bothered with that, I guess.

Going to try them possibly this evening, if I can find some loose cable.

Oh, BTW, I had to do a double take when I saw 6 ohm. It's so similar to an 8 I thought it was me for a second there.