Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Technowolf posted:

Was the modern Holbrook stuff no longer being posted?
FrumpleOrz was posting it but they haven't been on SA since April 3rd. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
She's going to accuse him of rape or something isn't she?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kennel posted:

Found this as well:

That's an amazing second panel.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Foanimals

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (June 4, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (July 22, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 1, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (July 9, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (December 10, 1935)

Mopsy (February 8, 1937)

Dark Laughter (November 3, 1945)

"They say it started out to be a welcome-home party for one of them GI fellers named Bootsie ... But it musta got outa hand or sumthin'"

Those Were the Days (June 11, 1953)

Figby?

Wee Pals (August 28, 1965)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Presto posted:

No, remember, she kissed him and then fled in a panic because I assume it's the first time she's touched another human being.

I must have missed a strip.

Well, I had a good laugh even tho I was wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter (November 3, 1945)

"They say it started out to be a welcome-home party for one of them GI fellers named Bootsie ... But it musta got outa hand or sumthin'"
Oh, that Bootsie!

Bogor

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set gets ahead of itself.

Working Daze is horrifying.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix gets the last word.

Cul De Sac has a full day planned.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Jesus Christ, Bernice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lmfao

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

catlord posted:

Jesus Christ, Bernice.

The worst sin in this writing is it isn't interesting.

edit: there is train wreck interest but even that is on the tame side

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Holy poo poo, that's not an edit.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 17-18, 1933)

Peanuts (May 27-28, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Oh, I guess we're not done with COVIDshaft yet.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 23-24, 1937)

Out Our Way (September 3-5, 1936; spoilered for the usual reasons.)

So yeah, my Internet crapped the bed again before I could do most of my vintage stuff, and continues to crap out while I try to post this. But the revolutionary antics of Little Lefty can't be held back. (October 22-24, 1934)

As for what's going on at the end of that middle one, it turns out we came in at a time when the Daily Worker had expanded its scope a bit, but they may have bit off a bit more than they could chew.

So in the evangelical tradition, they decided to pass the hat around. Vigorously. And as you can see, Depression-era Reds don't mince words.

Every columnist had a quota nested inside of the larger NYC goal, and being the new kid on the block, Lefty's corner of this newsprint GoFundMe campaign wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire just yet.

So, welcome to the pledge drive.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 26, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Jeremy's into some classic noise music.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I warned you!

Can you imagine how loving anal you have to be to consider yourself being a “temptress” for kissing a guy, let alone to think that as you’re in college, studying psychology.

The only way this makes even an inkling of a sense is if she’s at one of those evangelical nutcase colleges but I doubt even the Evanses are that lame.

Credit where it’s due tho: even in her lameness, Bernice is characteristically arrogant.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

WE GET IT, SELL THE loving THEATER

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hostile V posted:

WE GET IT, SELL THE loving THEATER

We've had it and soon our life dream will be over as well.

*holds hands*

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kissing a boy on the mouth out of wedlock. Can a girl get pregnant from that?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Did a lot of soul searching today and I don't want to sign a contract over it, but I could be convinced to catch us up on, and keep us up to date with, Holbrook's output untile FrumpleOrz is back.

dear god what am i saying :negative:

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Classic Holbrook is still good; all current Holbrook shows is how low on ideas he is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"It is truly a mystery who John X, the man who looks exactly the same as the bust of the unknown commander, can be."

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I really enjoy FOA but it would be hard to explain why to anyone

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

riderchop posted:

Did a lot of soul searching today and I don't want to sign a contract over it, but I could be convinced to catch us up on, and keep us up to date with, Holbrook's output untile FrumpleOrz is back.

dear god what am i saying :negative:
Blink twice if your captor has a gun.

2017 Spiderman

1979 comics

Fun fact: HIPAA(including the Privacy Rule that covers what most people are talking about when they mention HIPAA) wasn't a thing until 1996(and the privacy rule wasn't fully in effect until 2003). The 70s Dear Abby that runs alongside these comics has the occassional letter mentioning people going a town or two over to see a doctor for embarassing or socially shameful stuff, and that's why - back in the day, there was nothing stopping your doctor from telling the town about your Butts Disease or anything related to, say, having sex out of wedlock other than their own sense of integrity.

This is a long way of saying that what's happening here was (legally) fine at the time, even if it wouldn't be now.

Locher Tracy

I think I remember this arc as the source of Johnny Walker's old av. Or maybe it's just recycled villains.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

The Lockhorns

Footrot Flats

Dicky deserved that.

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

The only way this makes even an inkling of a sense is if she’s at one of those evangelical nutcase colleges but I doubt even the Evanses are that lame.
They strike me as a father/daughter pair that's definitely done the whole purity ball thing. Possibly "doing".

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
"A boy is interested in me! My only choice is to join a convent!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

dismas posted:

I really enjoy FOA but it would be hard to explain why to anyone

I'm enjoying it. It's kinda dumb and strange, so it's probably a matter of if it clicks or not with a person.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Nov. 24th, 1940

There's something about this one that just works for me.

Axa

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Bernice really shouldn’t worry. Based on how these things work in Luannverse, the boy has now ceased to exist and will never be spoken of again.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Frizzi

Rhymes with Orange

So how long before "doctors have terrible handwriting" jokes end up on the technological scrap heap?

Get Fuzzy 5/25/01

Brenda Starr 7/18-20/46

The guy's look kinda reminds me of Little Richard, except Little Richard was an unknown 13-year-old at this point.

Smokey Stover 5/4/41

Richard's Poor Almanac

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

this sucks

Compu-toon

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Somewhere, there exists a piece of paper with the letterhead FROM THE DESK OF GREG EVANS with the hastily sketched words "I'm a slut temptress!" on it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

riderchop posted:

this sucks

Hello my 15 year old son, here is the comic strip I'm publishing today, in which I insinuate that your girlfriend is constantly checking out guys even while you're in fact talking.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

davidspackage posted:

Somewhere, there exists a piece of paper with the letterhead FROM THE DESK OF GREG EVANS with the hastily sketched words "I'm a slut temptress!" on it.

A bit harsh.

I think “wench” or “harlot” might be more appropriate for his sensibilities.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

My Lovely Horse posted:

Hello my 15 year old son, here is the comic strip I'm publishing today, in which I insinuate that your girlfriend is constantly checking out guys even while you're in fact talking.

Which angel told her to write this one, I wonder.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: dominant / submissive (July 16-22, 2001)

Re: that last strip, again, this was several years before Patreon would even be a thing. Making a living creating content on the internet was hard back then. (Well, harder than it is now, and it's not easy now either.)