Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I just progress sirris quest for the silvercat ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The only tricky part with Leonhard is you need to interact with Rosaria's Fingers to get his quest to progress. ...Which also pisses off Sirris and aborts her quest if you haven't finished it yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

John Murdoch posted:

Also I feel like the whole "but it's fun to figure out how to resurrect Rhea all on your own on NG+++!" argument breaks down when DS3 goes as far as to make core NPCs like Orbeck possible to arbitrarily sabotage. Thankfully I don't care about magic, but also as a result I can't even get Yuria to ask me to kill him because he needs to move to Firelink for that to happen and he won't if you don't have 10 INT. Can't hand him those scrolls he so desperately wants either. So as I understand it the second I enter the Catacombs he'll just vanish forever. Sucks to be me if I wanted to respec into a magic build at some point.

Nah I have no problem with you using a guide on ng+. I just think the first run should be blind and accept the results, then look up the others and how to do them when the main game is spoiled already.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I mean I've already been spoiled on basically everything significant anyway. Aside from my very first (quickly aborted) attempt at DS1, I've never gone into the games blind.

And even then a lot of the spoilers are the big surface level things and memes - I knew Farron Swamp existed, I knew it had mean crabs in it, and I knew you had to extinguish the three pizza ovens to reach the Artorias Boys. Everything beyond that was ultimately a new experience for me. (They put basilisks in high water??? :gonk:)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

John Murdoch posted:

(They put basilisks in high water??? :gonk:)

Going down the ladder to the poison swamp part, stepping out of the doorway, and hearing the sound of the basilisks for the first time actually made me laugh out loud.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Greirat my buddy, if you're such a great thief, why don't you steal yourself some clothes? Come to think of it, where do you even put… no, forget I said anything, some things are best left mysteries.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Glimpse posted:

Greirat my buddy, if you're such a great thief, why don't you steal yourself some clothes? Come to think of it, where do you even put… no, forget I said anything, some things are best left mysteries.

Same place you keep all your equipment.

Dark Holes.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

in the dark souls setting, every undead has their own oozing hole of holding

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Imagine finally getting 30 ears after 250 hours of playtime on your SL37 PvP char, only to realize that you screwed up Sirris' quest somewhere around the 5th hour...

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There's always NG+, rip

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Stray Demon dead (blew him the hell up, felt a little bad honestly). Abyss Watchers dead. Catacombs were cleared with the help of a very nice sun bro who took me on a thorough guided tour of the place and also helped fight off like 3-4 invaders, though by the time we hit Wolnir's arena my reaction was "wait, it's over??" And then Smouldering Lake... gently caress Smouldering Lake. Is it supposed to be some meta joke that they brought the Demon Ruins back only to once again make the area a tedious copy and paste fest? Wolnir and the Old Demon King are both dead and I'm glad I never have to come back.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I feel for the old demon king. There's no reason for a player to be in Smouldering Lake, but they tromp in, kill his worm, gently caress up his security system, mess up his rug and kill him.

Dude's just trying to chillax as the world falls apart.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, it’s not my fault he has a spell that does a lot of damage and looks cool as heck. Dude really should have just breathed acid at people so his soul transposed into Acid Surge or something else lovely if he didn’t want people barging in to kill him and his worm. :colbert:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was still a little wired so Irithyll and its pompous pontiff are down. Then I got married. And I celebrated by clearing out everything but Aldrich himself.

I'm not sure how to feel about 90% of the treasure in the lake and Irithyll itself being titanite. For me it's frustrating because I have no use for it at the moment, but on the other hand I remember how DS1 had a fair few dry patches that all but required you to farm. And I still see people somehow doggedly suffering through mid-game areas of 1 with gently caress all for upgrades so maybe they really do need to just shower people in mats to get the idea across.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda rolled my eyes while actually playing the main campaign at how much titanite i was being showered with, but not gonna lie it’s pretty nice to just like, be able to say “gently caress it” and make multiple +4/9 weapons after Bloodborne giving out cool weapons like candy but having the upgrade system being set up so that you’ll be bathing in blood shards but only enough to get you to +3 when +6 is assumed or +6 when you’re expected to be swinging around a +9/10.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah thinking on it more the other problem is that as a greathammer fanatic who stubbornly refuses to use anything else, I'm once again screwed on weapon options the exact same way I was in DS1. I've got some fantastic ones coming way down the line, but for now I might as well stick with the Great Club. At best I could tediously farm for the Great Mace so I could get a whopping +10~ AR and lose Warcry in the process. (Which on a tangential note, drat I was a fool to ignore my weapon skills for this long.)

Edit: I guess that's one thing 3 has to its advantage, the existence of heavy gems means I can force a greater variety of weapons to fit my build. Though I'm not sure if there's any really fun smashy weapons hiding in other categories this time around. I might end up playing with the Drang Hammers I guess.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 26, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Crucifix of the mad king is really good and quite smashy, with the caveat that it’s virtually the last weapon in the game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah thinking on it more the other problem is that as a greathammer fanatic who stubbornly refuses to use anything else, I'm once again screwed on weapon options the exact same way I was in DS1. I've got some fantastic ones coming way down the line, but for now I might as well stick with the Great Club. At best I could tediously farm for the Great Mace so I could get a whopping +10~ AR and lose Warcry in the process. (Which on a tangential note, drat I was a fool to ignore my weapon skills for this long.)

Edit: I guess that's one thing 3 has to its advantage, the existence of heavy gems means I can force a greater variety of weapons to fit my build. Though I'm not sure if there's any really fun smashy weapons hiding in other categories this time around. I might end up playing with the Drang Hammers I guess.
Did you not try Vordt's Hammer? It's one of the earliest weapons in the game and fucks everything extremely hard.

Drang Hammers are insanely good, though. Absolutely give them a spin (with L2 lol). My favorite moveset in the game. Not a big surprise coming from a DS2 fan.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

Did you not try Vordt's Hammer? It's one of the earliest weapons in the game and fucks everything extremely hard.

Drang Hammers are insanely good, though. Absolutely give them a spin (with L2 lol). My favorite moveset in the game. Not a big surprise coming from a DS2 fan.

Oh yeah, I beelined for Vordt's and used it up until the Great Club surpassed its damage. I know the frost effect is stupid strong and makes up for the comparatively middling AR, it's just hard to gauge how good it actually is vs. the club's easily parseable big number go up. I'm guessing a non-zero number of tougher encounters would've gone differently if I had thought to switch back to it, but 90% of the time the Great Club does the job more than adequately. (Plus between the Catacombs and Irithyll I'm guessing a lot of the enemies there don't care about frost so much.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it is also worth saying that even on a strength build you may want to use a faster but weaker weapon instead of just going by damage per hit

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

it is also worth saying that even on a strength build you may want to use a faster but weaker weapon instead of just going by damage per hit

That's not a very Strength thing to say

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

Oh yeah, I beelined for Vordt's and used it up until the Great Club surpassed its damage. I know the frost effect is stupid strong and makes up for the comparatively middling AR, it's just hard to gauge how good it actually is vs. the club's easily parseable big number go up. I'm guessing a non-zero number of tougher encounters would've gone differently if I had thought to switch back to it, but 90% of the time the Great Club does the job more than adequately. (Plus between the Catacombs and Irithyll I'm guessing a lot of the enemies there don't care about frost so much.)

Pro tip that the game never tells you anywhere:
doing even 1 point of fire damage removes the frostbite status so you can immediately re-apply it for big damage again. (It doesn't remove status buildup, only the completed status.)

Lots of bosses get frostbitten in 1-2 hits with Vordt's hammer, and you can abuse that big chunk of frostbite damage over and over if you use an offhand fire cestus or something to punch nerds with. That's what I was doing for most of my playthough before I started picking up and playing around with different weapons in the DLCs.

giZm posted:

Imagine finally getting 30 ears after 250 hours of playtime on your SL37 PvP char, only to realize that you screwed up Sirris' quest somewhere around the 5th hour...

Look on the bright side:
the only reason DMB is "better" than Lightning Blade is because leveling END gives lightning resist, and and at SL37 nobody's gonna have too much END anyways.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

multijoe posted:

That's not a very Strength thing to say
I guess, but I never want to have just one kinda weapon over the course of a run. I always wanna have slow weapon, fast weapon, ranged option at least

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Vordt's hammer also has perseverance which is so goddamn good I'd almost call it OP

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Vordt's Hammer is a great PvP weapon. Frostbite + Poise means you can sap their stamina, facetank a million trades, you have parry immunity, and the only people who can even remotely come close to killing you are likely also using a big fuckoff weapon.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
If you go strength you can still have a fast weapon if you use the hand axe
If you go dex you can still have a greatsword if you use hollowslayer
Is nothing sacred

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks to infusions, a lot of Dex weapons can also be used perfectly well on a Str build and vice versa. The difference between physical builds in general is less pronounced in DS3 compared to the previous games.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 26, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The poise mechanics in this game are so godawful obscure. You need to crossreference 3 random spreadsheets from reddit just to see what the breakpoints are to actually tank something (which varies for every single combination of your weapon + the enemy weapon, gah).
I'm just going to stay 10 vit and run around in dresses or dragon torso stones forever rather than trying to figure it out. At least ultra weapons have enough base poise to tank through a lot of the lighter weapons even with 0 poise from armor.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

I guess, but I never want to have just one kinda weapon over the course of a run. I always wanna have slow weapon, fast weapon, ranged option at least

My approach to these games is basically total caveman build 100% of the way. Yeah, some areas a bitch and a half as a result, but that's part of the fun. I allow myself throwing weapons to help solve the occasional problem, but that's about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Vordt's hammer also has perseverance which is so goddamn good I'd almost call it OP

Yeah this is a case where I'm much poorer for having not experimented with weapon arts from the start. (Managing a blue bar and activating special abilities sounded a little too much like wizard bullshit. :reject:) I was dimly aware of Perseverance, even activated it once or twice on a whim, but I definitely didn't appreciate what it was actually doing for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also speaking of my weirdly specific playstyle, the other thing that's been a minor annoyance is that they went really hard into trying to stop you from reaching my personal holy grail trio: A giant hammer, the toughest possible armor, AND a mid-roll. I understand why, but it is a bit of a bummer that boosting your weight limit in 3 is such a slow crawl.

At least in terms of fashion I can always fall back on the Black Iron Armor. I beat DS1 wearing that, so it has a special place in my heart. Or I can run around in Lucatiel's gear and look fabulous. :sparkles:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I mean, boosting your weight limit is slow, but at least you only have to stay below 70%.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fallen Knight Armor is pretty bad because of it's low poise, right? I was using it on my first attempt at that luck build but now I'm leaning more Alva set. It's got great poise, but a little weak on everything else. Maybe I should just build up my vitality high enough to use that brass set, ugly as it is.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 26, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you want heavy armour that delivers the good and don't care about fashion, look no further than the Lapp set

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

I mean, boosting your weight limit is slow, but at least you only have to stay below 70%.

Yeah, but I've been constantly nudging against 70% without even really trying. Heck, I've had a torch in my back pocket just in case (for stuff like the maggot dudes, I forgot about the frost trick) and I had to get rid of it because the 1 pound was too much.

I mean stat-wise I'm probably at the point where I could comfortably invest most of my future levels into vitality anyway. I'm near enough to the first health soft-cap (and will hit it when I get the chain ring), stamina's been fine and even better now that I found the RoF, and strength's good to go at 40 already. Plus obviously now that I have the power team of Havel's and RoF each additional point of vitality is going further.

Basically it's annoying right now but I expect things to suddenly get markedly better.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Zesty posted:

Fallen Knight Armor is pretty bad because of it's low poise, right? I was using it on my first attempt at that luck build but now I'm leaning more Alva set. It's got great poise, but a little weak on everything else. Maybe I should just build up my vitality high enough to use that brass set, ugly as it is.

Alva has 23 poise? The gently caress?

This game confuses me sometimes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Zesty posted:

Fallen Knight Armor is pretty bad because of it's low poise, right?
poise is almost meaningless outside of pvp, where it still doesn't matter that much. you can build for a specific resist(the best one being physical) but for the most part you should dress for fashion

multijoe posted:

If you want heavy armour that delivers the good and don't care about fashion, look no further than the Lapp set
lapp's is one of the best looking sets in the game though

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Here's how poise works.

1. It doesn't.
2. Hope your weapon has perseverance!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The purpose of heavy armor is not poise, it's to cut big chunky hits in half so you can then panic roll around like an idiot anyway as if you just lost 99% of your health. Duh.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah this is a case where I'm much poorer for having not experimented with weapon arts from the start. (Managing a blue bar and activating special abilities sounded a little too much like wizard bullshit. :reject:) I was dimly aware of Perseverance, even activated it once or twice on a whim, but I definitely didn't appreciate what it was actually doing for me.

I had the exact same attitude and experience. I was doing a punch build for my first run too, so i was neglecting my caestus' perseverance on a punch build until the Dragonslayer Armor, when someone in my stream chat was like "don't forget you have perseverance" and suddenly super tough fights became way easier lmao

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

The purpose of heavy armor is not poise, it's to cut big chunky hits in half so you can then panic roll around like an idiot anyway as if you just lost 99% of your health. Duh.

Defense doesn't cut big chunky hits in half though
the way this game's def formula works, it's much more effective against lower-damage hits and not very noticeable against high-damage hits.
So wearing big fat armor won't make bosses that hit for 1/2 your max hp any less scary, but it'll let you laugh off crappy little fast enemies like thralls.

edit: wait what the gently caress this game's system is so confusing
Armor actually gives 0 defense (beyond a base amount for "just don't be naked" that's the same for every item), so defense is entirely based on soul level? and armor only increases poise and absorption? that's so confusing.

Poking around with it, a big heavy armor set gets you to about ~30% physical absorption whereas a set of crappy cloth armor is ~5%, so it's actually pretty good.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 27, 2021