Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hot drat am I glad I found this thread, and that Synastren is posting in it.

I hadn't realized owning box springs was so ludicrously out of fashion, but thankfully the first 9 pages has set me straight. So when we get our new BIAB I guess we toss out the box springs and I buy a some 1x4 slats (like these), cut them to full bed width, plonk the new mattress down directly on the slats, and then we just get used to sleeping lower to the ground, right?

Gonna be really fun trying to get an old mattress to the city dump using a bicycle trailer. I'm pretty sure I can do it, but this is one of those one times every 7 years that I wish I had a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I hadn't realized owning box springs was so ludicrously out of fashion, but thankfully the first 9 pages has set me straight. So when we get our new BIAB I guess we toss out the box springs and I buy a some 1x4 slats (like these), cut them to full bed width, plonk the new mattress down directly on the slats, and then we just get used to sleeping lower to the ground, right?

Gonna be really fun trying to get an old mattress to the city dump using a bicycle trailer. I'm pretty sure I can do it, but this is one of those one times every 7 years that I wish I had a truck.

I got a Purple through Mattress Firm, and they just hauled away the old one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

On the pillow subject, I got the Wirecutter recommended Nest pillow which is shredded memory foam. I find it super comfortable although it was way too expensive and took weeks to ship and I probably had to take out half the filling to make it work for me.

On the mattress front, we just bought a new fairly standard BeautyRest one at Mattress Firm and it’s amazing to see all the sales tricks. Like how the budget lines are just stacked in a corner and you can’t really try them. And how the first bed they have you try to “check the firmness level” is some $4000 thing. Or how they give you free “gold” delivery which is normally $120 although I assume no one every pays that.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cruft posted:

You can call Mattress Firm to come and haul it off, assuming it isn't stained or soiled abnormally. A delivery charge and maybe a recycling charge would be all you'd pay there. Further, you might want to give your local store a call (if applicable); our local warehouse will dispose of any mattress brought to it in plastic (read: moving bag) for free.

What you linked is essentially a make-your-own bunkie board set. You'll be fine as long as you keep them within about 2 inches of each other. Alternatively, just go buy a platform bed, which will elevate you higher, and will likely be more aesthetically pleasing. Note that I've heard mixed things about Zinus platform frames.

smackfu posted:

On the pillow subject, I got the Wirecutter recommended Nest pillow which is shredded memory foam. I find it super comfortable although it was way too expensive and took weeks to ship and I probably had to take out half the filling to make it work for me.

On the mattress front, we just bought a new fairly standard BeautyRest one at Mattress Firm and it’s amazing to see all the sales tricks. Like how the budget lines are just stacked in a corner and you can’t really try them. And how the first bed they have you try to “check the firmness level” is some $4000 thing. Or how they give you free “gold” delivery which is normally $120 although I assume no one every pays that.

Based on your delivery charge, it sounds like you're in the Northeast?

To respond to the rationale behind some of those more directly (note: I cannot comment on the person you worked with, as I am in a very different place geographically from you):
1) The intention of those lines is to allow the store to floor more products in queen size. In the next couple of years, those products will have their own storage that allows them to be tried quickly and easily, while remaining in a small confined space. It is literally the job of whomever you work with to show you the range of options you want, within whatever price range you'd like to be in, including models that may not be shown in queen. Also note that there is generally a quality, construction, or warranty difference between what is in the Value Zone and what is floored. Further, you can order literally anything you see on the website from a store.

2) The average actual cost we pay for a delivery in my market is around $120. We charge 99 if it is a flat set, and 149 if it includes an adjustable base, multiple sets, or needs to be transported up or down several flights of stairs. Some products include sales that remove the delivery charge (e.g., TempurPedic). We also price match real competitors, so if you have another real actual retailer that will do delivery, setup, and haul off, show us and we match their price.

3) Over the years, there have been several reasons for why we start on a more expensive innnerspring, and the reason that the sleep expert you worked with did that likely depends on how long they've been with the company, and how well they've taken to the new process rolled out over the last few months. I'll break it down in more detail that won't work in this point-by-point response :v:

It solves multiple problems to help winnow down the entire inventory of the store. For example, if you react to the price, it prompts a budget-centered discussion, and we can eliminate inappropriate options. Because the mattresses in the collection you start on all have the same support structure (i.e., the coil unit), it allows us to focus purely on the comfort level--thereby also excluding inappropriate feels throughout the store. It also allows for us to show a luxury tier mattress to folks so they know that there is even a difference between a $400 and a $4000 mattress (spoiler: there is), while staying in a somewhat familiar construction (e.g., not TempurPedic, Intellibed, etc.).

In the new process we've been developing, the sleep expert should ask a series of questions using MF's new MattressMatcher program from our website to identify sleep needs, and to provide a selection of choices while also communicating to us the most common sleep disruptors. From there, we can pretty much select what products we feel will work best for folks based on their needs and budget combined.

I had the opportunity to go another state and shop a lot of other retailers, and I can honestly say that MF's strategy is among the most transparent and least salesy things I've encountered in a brick and mortar store. And if you think that aggressive marketing from Purple, et al., isn't at least as bad then I have a bridge to sell you.

PS: If you think that you encountered some sales tricks, be glad you weren't looking 5+ years ago. A whole different world there!

ed: not trying to be an apologist, I just suspect you got a bad employee experience, and also folks don't know much about the mattress industry in general

Synastren fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 19, 2021

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the insight! I wasn’t really complaining, more observing: there’s just not too many places left where you deal with an actual salesperson and you don’t know what you want to buy when you go in to the store. The overall experience was great.

One funny thing was that they had their card terminal enabled for contactless but I guess most cards have a $500 contactless limit so it’s just a waste of time when people use it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

smackfu posted:

One funny thing was that they had their card terminal enabled for contactless but I guess most cards have a $500 contactless limit so it’s just a waste of time when people use it.

For some reason, the only card I've ever seen go over $500 is Discover. Literally every other type has balked at sums as high as $50.

We can take contactless payments by creating a payment link and texting/emailing to folks, though. It isn't super commonly requested, and is somewhat cumbersome if someone is in the store, but is super duper worth it for folks who want to pay at home or whatnot.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Synastren posted:

Tempur line hasn't changed since the Adapt/Breeze lines. As far as I know there aren't any other major foam players of that caliber, so I can't really suggest an alternative unless you want the Breeze version :v:

Plus side, their Memorial Day event literally starts in the morning, so it'll save you a couple hundo.

Thanks! I have been waiting to purchase as our new furniture set hasn't shipped yet, and I found that Costco is offering something as well.

Do you or anyone else who knows Tempurpedic know the difference we would see between these two:

https://www.costco.com/tempur-contour-11.5%22-supreme-mattress.product.100473895.html
https://www.us-mattress.com/tempurpedic-tempur-pro-adapt-firm-king-mattress.html

ProAdapt Firm vs. Contour Supreme. They look similar on the firmness scale but not sure what the other differences would be. For 50% price difference I hope something is different.

Hed fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 21, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hed posted:

Thanks! I have been waiting to purchase as our new furniture set hasn't shipped yet, and I found that Costco is offering something as well.

Do you or anyone else who knows Tempurpedic know the difference we would see between these two:

https://www.costco.com/tempur-contour-11.5%22-supreme-mattress.product.100473895.html
https://www.us-mattress.com/tempurpedic-tempur-pro-adapt-firm-king-mattress.html

ProAdapt Firm vs. Contour Supreme. They look similar on the firmness scale but not sure what the other differences would be. For 50% price difference I hope something is different.

The Contour Supreme is hard as gently caress, and is one of the firmest mattresses I've tried. It was one of the entry level models of the previous Tempur line (ca. 2014), which was discontinued in 2018. I've sold beds for several years now, and I can honestly say that the Contour Supreme was one of the least popular Tempurs in the 2014 lineup--which is why you can find them on sale at Costco in 2021, 3 years after they were discontinued. :v: It's the precursor of the ProAdapt Firm. In many ways, it's the hard-as-gently caress version of the Adapt Medium. For posterity, the Adapt Medium is virtually the same as the Cloud Supreme which was one of, if not the most popular Tempur of that line.

The ProAdapt line in general includes the new Tempur APR material. The PA Firm in particular has it on top, with the OG Tempur material underneath. The PA Firm will instead have two major improvements: better pressure relief (though it is nearly as firm), and a much cooler sleeping environment. It is also drastically more expensive, as it is in the current line-up.

If you can try them, you 10000000% should, just to make sure they are the right feel. It takes time to correctly try Tempur mattresses, as it takes 5-7 minutes for the product to fully conform. Thankfully the mattress does most of that action in about 90 seconds.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I'm a large goon (~300 lbs) and a side sleeper/stomach sleeper. I've been looking around online and I went to a showroom to lie on mattresses, I think a medium firmness is what I prefer, I also liked the Purple they had well enough. I don't think I'm up for paying Purple prices right now, so I was looking at the Titan Luxe Hybrid as a more budget option. Any thoughts from people here on that or other things I should look at?

Also I could afford a Purple but it would be digging a bit deeper into my pocket and probably looking for a payment plan. I'm moving to a new place for a new job and I'm not sure if I'll be here more than 2-3 years and I'm a little leery of buying an expensive mattress that poo poo could happen to if I move it. Is that out of place? I've been sleeping on random garbage for years so this will probably be a major upgrade to my sleep quality either way.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Fellis posted:

I'm a large goon (~300 lbs) and a side sleeper/stomach sleeper. I've been looking around online and I went to a showroom to lie on mattresses, I think a medium firmness is what I prefer, I also liked the Purple they had well enough. I don't think I'm up for paying Purple prices right now, so I was looking at the Titan Luxe Hybrid as a more budget option. Any thoughts from people here on that or other things I should look at?

Also I could afford a Purple but it would be digging a bit deeper into my pocket and probably looking for a payment plan. I'm moving to a new place for a new job and I'm not sure if I'll be here more than 2-3 years and I'm a little leery of buying an expensive mattress that poo poo could happen to if I move it. Is that out of place? I've been sleeping on random garbage for years so this will probably be a major upgrade to my sleep quality either way.

Honestly, for that price, I'm not sure what it would compete against directly. Some quick napkin math implies the coil density of a queen is somewhere around the 800 coil range, vaguely analogous to a BR800 (a BeautyRest introductory model), but using a super stout spring. If that mattress feels at all medium in practice, it necessarily is because there are not a huge number of coils. If you went to a Mattress Firm and tried the PressureSmart firm (or literally any other store and tried a BRS900 Firm/ExtraFirm), you've experienced the same coil, but with more of them.

For a 2-5 year mattress, I'm sure that hybrid will suffice, I just wouldn't know what to expect beyond that!

ed: I have a colleague who used to work for Brooklyn Bedding. I'll ask him his opinion on it tomorrow.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Fellis posted:

It's always best to try in person, but if you are okay with the buy and try easy return model check out the Winkbeds, too. I've bought a Cal King Luxury Firm in 2019 and a Queen Firmer in 2020 (for guest room) in the last few years. The only thing they need to add is a drat strap so you can move them around easier. The Plus model was wayyy too stiff for me (but I bet it would last 10+ years) and I swapped it for the Luxury Firm (I was convinced I liked Klingon style cement beds but I guess I don't).

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think I tried the Beauty rest introductory model so that’s nice to hear, I liked that one and it was one of the more budget options i was considering. Thanks for the thoughts! I just wanted to post here for a second opinion before i pulled the trigger, just make sure the company wasn’t known for shoddy materials or whatever else.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 12:43 on May 25, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I can't find anything about the Simmons Beautyrest BRX-800 on The Firm's website. Know anything about it?

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Just moved into a new house and the box spring on our old beautyrest queen couldn't maneuver up the stairs, so we plopped the mattress on the floor temporarily until we could get a new bigger bed—but holy hell, the awful sagging issues we were having disappeared and now the mattress feels supportive again. Never really considered the issue could be the box spring, but my hips are now telling me otherwise.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I can't find anything about the Simmons Beautyrest BRX-800 on The Firm's website. Know anything about it?

MF doesn't sell that model; I didn't even know that the BRX 800 existed!

Beautyrest uses a standardized model designation.

BR, obviously for BeautyRest, but moreover it means it must have individually pocketed coils
X in this case means "hybrid." There is also an S designation for "silver," and if you see -C that means it utilizes microcoils.
The number, 800 in this case, is the coil density in a Queen. The levels are 800, 900, 1000, Black. If it is a collection name (e.g., PressureSmart, as you see at MF, or Harmony, as you'd see elsewhere), it's a 900 system; if it includes Lux (e.g., PressureSmart Lux), it is 1000. They will typically end with a feel level, if applicable.

The BRX 800, would then be an individually coiled mattress with an 800 coil density with memory foam as its comfort layer. It is in the entry level, and would therefore have the same kind of support as a BR800. Given the lack of firmness description, it would have to be a medium feel, as well.

Insurrectum posted:

Just moved into a new house and the box spring on our old beautyrest queen couldn't maneuver up the stairs, so we plopped the mattress on the floor temporarily until we could get a new bigger bed—but holy hell, the awful sagging issues we were having disappeared and now the mattress feels supportive again. Never really considered the issue could be the box spring, but my hips are now telling me otherwise.

Many folks don't think about the importance of a functioning foundation for a mattress. It's one of the biggest reasons we recommend updating foundations when you get a new mattress!

Consider grabbing an inexpensive platform frame until you secure your upgrade; it'll get you off the floor while allowing you to ditch the failed boxes!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Synastren posted:

MF doesn't sell that model; I didn't even know that the BRX 800 existed!

Beautyrest uses a standardized model designation.

BR, obviously for BeautyRest, but moreover it means it must have individually pocketed coils
X in this case means "hybrid." There is also an S designation for "silver," and if you see -C that means it utilizes microcoils.
The number, 800 in this case, is the coil density in a Queen. The levels are 800, 900, 1000, Black. If it is a collection name (e.g., PressureSmart, as you see at MF, or Harmony, as you'd see elsewhere), it's a 900 system; if it includes Lux (e.g., PressureSmart Lux), it is 1000. They will typically end with a feel level, if applicable.

The BRX 800, would then be an individually coiled mattress with an 800 coil density with memory foam as its comfort layer. It is in the entry level, and would therefore have the same kind of support as a BR800. Given the lack of firmness description, it would have to be a medium feel, as well.

Thanks for all this! There is a sale on this model with an attractive price, but no place to check it out in person. Figured I'd seek out some more info here.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Holy hell does Purple use a lot of packaging. The amount of single use plastics here is obscene, to say nothing of the boxes within boxes. The mattress itself came in a vinyl bag, which contained thick plastic wrap around a thinner plastic wrap around the mattress.

I realize the entire mattress is petroleum but I figure we'd keep it 10+ years. I wasn't counting on having to throw away all this plastic wrap on day 1.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

cruft posted:

Holy hell does Purple use a lot of packaging. The amount of single use plastics here is obscene, to say nothing of the boxes within boxes. The mattress itself came in a vinyl bag, which contained thick plastic wrap around a thinner plastic wrap around the mattress.

I realize the entire mattress is petroleum but I figure we'd keep it 10+ years. I wasn't counting on having to throw away all this plastic wrap on day 1.

All beds in a box are wrapped at least twice. Virtually every mattress is in a factory sealed bag. Beds in a box require extra wrapping to keep them compressed for shipping. The vinyl bag that Purple uses primarily displaces the typical box, but it isn't necessarily a given that they won't ship in boxes, too, because why the gently caress not. That does, however, explain the thinner bag (factory sealed plastic, also vacuum sealed), and the thicker outer plastic (stout, to hold compression of product) within it.

... but yes, it is a lot of material.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
is there a meaningful difference between the purple 3 and tempurpedic pro adapt, comfort durability or otherwise?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

FamDav posted:

is there a meaningful difference between the purple 3 and tempurpedic pro adapt, comfort durability or otherwise?

If you mean the ProAdapt medium, it is almost the exact opposite of the Purple3 in comfort and feel. The Purple hybrids are rubberized polymer on a coil unit; the non-hybrid Tempurs are Tempur material on top of a support foam base.

The all foam Tempur models are designed to slowly contour to the occupant and respond to changes in body temperature to provide targeted pressure relief. They are difficult to move in, and generally feel quite firm on account of the density of the material and the slow response. The hybrid models are much more popular as they lessen the overall "Tempur" feel while providing similar benefits as the all-foam version.

The Purple hybrids are exceptionally bouncy, and conform immediately to whatever presses on them; they are largely heat agnostic. They're difficult to characterize except to say that they feel somewhere between lying on a trampoline, a water bed, and a big bowl of jello.

I'd give a slight durability edge to Tempur, assuming the use of a mattress protector, on account of them having been around for 20 years longer, if nothing else. The warranties on the two products are nearly the same, with the only notable exception being that Tempur requires a 3/4ths inch impression, compared to Purple's 1 inch impression.

So, durability is similar, but I'd rate Tempur higher; they feel nothing alike, at all, though. The ProAdapt hybrid is likely the most popular Tempur model on the market now, and the Purple3 is by far the most popular option out of all of their options.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Purple's breathability is probably their biggest-advertised difference from other mattresses, and I will say that it runs waaaayyy cooler than my previous bed (which was a traditional spring mattress).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh hi thread. I'm on week 2 of the purple mattress.

My wife loves it. I'm having a bit of trouble with it. Something about it is making me feel like I'm constantly just about to fall off the edge of the bed. It's possible that our old bed was concave, and this one isn't, and sleeping on a flat bed is the problem. It may also be the 10-pound pillow, which doesn't really allow me to sleep on my arm the way I'm used to. I'm starting to think maybe I don't want a pillow at all, but then I can't spoon Ms cruft without getting a face full of her pillow, which is a real conundrum, I tell you what.

Anyway, yes, it is definitely nice and cool. If it ever warms up in North America, I'll get a chance to really put this to the test. The climate models make it look like this is definitely in the cards for me. But for now, yeah, definitely cooler, which I appreciate.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a BIFL-kind of mattress (I know that's not really a thing), but something that I'm going to not want to replace until I've sufficiently wrecked it some how. For the purpose of this discussion, assume money is not a concern.

Anecdotally, I've heard really good things about the Leesa Legend, and it's my current front runner. The reports I've heard are that it sleeps pretty cool, and medium-ish firmness, which both are something I enjoy. I'm having a very hard time though figuring out what parameters I should really be looking at, and it seems like mattresses generally do not provide 'specs' so much as they provide 'marketing material'.

This thread seems to generally have nice things to say about Purple as well, which seems like another front runner.

I'm wondering what Synastren / others in the thread have to say about the Leesa Legend. Is this a 'good' mattress? Is the real answer here to try it at a retailer? Is there some other mattress I should be looking at? An aside: I'm also looking for pillows that are S-tier.

Requirements:

- Mattress is of high quality
- Available in Twin XL or Full
- Sleeps between medium and medium-high firmness.
- Would be nice if it sleeps cool.
- I am going to want to keep this for two decades if I can help it.
- 6'3" and 170 lbs if that helps narrow things down.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 1, 2021

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

:siren: Quick reminder that I work at MF, and will keep my shilling to a minimum, but those are the products I'm most familiar with! :siren:

For starters, your weight is well within what manufacturers consider to be average, so you will not absolutely require a firm coil for maximum durability. I think you'd be fine for about a decade with anything that clocks in around $1k in a queen, but it may not meet the feel you're looking for. Trying things out is definitely for the best, not only to verify the feel, but to educate yourself hands-on.

I'd fully expect that Leesa Legend mattress to be a solid 10-15 year mattress. I think.

They are definitely somewhat vague in giving specifications about the mattress, but there's enough to piece some stuff together. We know that it uses 15 gauge coils that are 6 inches tall; I believe that a plush BeautyRest uses a 14.5 or 15 gauge coil, but it's 9 inches long uncompressed. That would suggest to me that the coil is roughly average--but it needs to be able to be compressed for shipping, so it makes sense that they wouldn't want to use something that is super beefy. Likely, most of the firmness in that mattress comes from the foam and microcoils, which would result in something similar to the BeautyRest Firm Hybrid that Mattress Firm sells, which should be relatively easy to find and try if you live in a city with a MF nearby.

Purple is OK, but I have similar reservations about how long the coils will be operating at peak efficiency. The smartgrid that Purple uses is the wildcard, and makes it difficult to figure out the overall lifespan of those products. I would recommend a Purple 3 if you are going to go with Purple, based on return rates I've observed, and general customer satisfaction. Note that you may or may not be able to find those at MF, depending on what city you reside in.

If you're looking for ultra-traditional innerspring style mattresses, the two brands I hold in highest regard are Kingsdown Passions or Select, and Chattam & Wells. Note that C&W's current selection likely would not work with an adjustable base, if that is something you are considering down the line. Honorable mentions to go Aireloom and Kluft.

For innersprings that include more modern materials, hit up BeautyRest Black or Beyond or the old standby Stearns & Foster.

For "traditional" hybrids (i.e., memory foam on coils, does not ship in a box), you can't go wrong with Serta's iComfort or iSeries hybrids, though I think that the Sealy Premium Hybrids are among the most popular mattresses in the MF portfolio right now. Also, the TempurPedic ProAdapt Hybrid is amazing, and it's encouraging to see Tempur make a hybrid that doesn't suck donkey poo poo.

I could keep going, but I don't think I could give a strong recommendation for what you should look into, specifically, unless I knew more about what you were looking for and what you like.

And as for pillows? There are hundreds of quality pillows out there, and it depends greatly on a few factors: how they work with the mattress to support your head, what your preferences are in materials, and what features you may need (e.g., cooling properties).

Also, open comment to the thread at large, I'm happy to take any questions you may have via PM, and am open to longer conversations while I'm actually at work. :v:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Thanks a lot for the response! This is such a great starting point to understand what's even out there. In a market that seems to be dominated by misinformation and paid-for reviews, you are a gift Synastren.

I should add that I really don't even know what I want. I've had the same mattress for over 15 years - since I started college in 2005 and have never really developed a 'taste' as it were for mattresses. I think the play here is for me to go to a showroom and try some out.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 3, 2021

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hey Synastren, thanks for all the helpful information. I honestly don't know what kind of mattress suits me as I never get particularly amazing sleep but I think one thing that I want is good movement isolation - as in, if one of us moves, it disturbs the other as little as possible.

In some other posts you said that Nectar is good - would their foam mattresses have good movement isolation like I described?

Also, their Premier mattress comes with "ActiveCool HD" one of the layers. Supposed to keep you cooler. You think this is just bullshit or actually worth an extra $500?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AndrewP posted:

Hey Synastren, thanks for all the helpful information. I honestly don't know what kind of mattress suits me as I never get particularly amazing sleep but I think one thing that I want is good movement isolation - as in, if one of us moves, it disturbs the other as little as possible.

In some other posts you said that Nectar is good - would their foam mattresses have good movement isolation like I described?

Also, their Premier mattress comes with "ActiveCool HD" one of the layers. Supposed to keep you cooler. You think this is just bullshit or actually worth an extra $500?

Disclaimer: I'm very tired, so apologies if this is somewhat difficult to read.

Setting aside foam, for motion isolation, stick with individually encased or pocketed coils. Almost any queen mattress over ~$600 should have those. Helical, connected, or continuous coils transmit motion like a motherfucker so stay away from those. Essentially, the physical structure is such that individual coils will not have significant influence over their neighbors, therefore reducing motion transfer. This is enhanced if the product includes more foam--particularly of the memory foam variety.

Foam itself dampens pretty much all kinetic energy, meaning it will stop motion transfer but also be harder to move in.

I'm quite confident that the Nectar Premier is better than the base model in every way. You're getting an extra inch of foam, and the foam is likely denser than the base Nectar model, not even touching on the cooling properties.

As for the cooling, I'm sure it's OK. It uses phase change material (PCM), which is generally a wax suspension applied to foam that melts around skin temperature (84-86 F). When that wax melts, it absorbs heat extremely rapidly, producing a cooling feeling--the same thing that ice does. It will generally be quite cool for about 20-30 minutes directly under you, and it will somewhat outperform a similar product without PCM. It will resolidify after you roll away, and be ready to cool again within a couple of minutes.

So to lightly touch on something else, PCM is a legit cooling technology--just understand that it's designed primarily to get you to sleep. Gel [infused] foam is not particularly cooling; gel is added to foam to increase its density as cost efficiently as possible. I really should make a big FAQ for mattress questions.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Awesome, thanks so much. Think I'll just go with the Nectar Premier and call it a day.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

AndrewP posted:

Awesome, thanks so much. Think I'll just go with the Nectar Premier and call it a day.

You can likely try a base model of Nectar at a local store--they're in a few different businesses. The Premier is a new model, and likely not physically anywhere yet; the Lush is getting closed out, so you might be able to try that somewhere near you, as a surrogate for the Nectar Premier.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Word, there's a Mattress Firm near me that I need to check out. My current mattress is a big rear end coil mattress with a super thick pillow top and this thing sags hard.

The mattress isn't the worst part... it's our lovely pillows. They're MyPillows I bought at the behest of my wife a while ago (before Mike Lindell was more than just the guy hawking pillows on commercials). They loving suck and I've hated them forever.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I pretty much need new everything - bed, mattress, pillows, sheets... hell, new blankets would be nice too. Is there any sort of package or combo deal I should look for, or should I just plan on buying most/all of these components separately?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I pretty much need new everything - bed, mattress, pillows, sheets... hell, new blankets would be nice too. Is there any sort of package or combo deal I should look for, or should I just plan on buying most/all of these components separately?

<shill> Mattress Firm has a free base offer with most (not all) products, which can solve for matt+frame or give a solid discount on better bases. </shill>

Most retailers have accessory bundles, including some bed-in-a-box manufacturers. Purple and Nectar come to mind, as those are products I sell every day. You can also often find stand-alone accessory bundles that include sheets+pillows+protector. You'll almost always save something somewhat significant in accessory bundles as it cuts down on shipping costs and manufacturers will often discount product (which gets paid forward) as they are getting a lot of your business in one swoop.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I got the Wirecutter-recommended LL Bean percale sheets and they're loving great, worth every penny. Hella cool at night.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

I got the Wirecutter-recommended LL Bean percale sheets and they're loving great, worth every penny. Hella cool at night.

Do those pillowcases with those sheets (L.L. Bean 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale) come with the "flap" to hold in the pillow? That feature is most needed when using POOOOFY foam and few if at all sellers document it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

Do those pillowcases with those sheets (L.L. Bean 280-Thread-Count Pima Cotton Percale) come with the "flap" to hold in the pillow? That feature is most needed when using POOOOFY foam and few if at all sellers document it.

I have queen size pillows and a double size bed, so I don't use them.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Keyser_Soze posted:

Look for "envelope" in the pillow case description.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey, another person looking for a recommendation for a queen size bed. I'm 90% a back sleeper, currently on a cheapo amazon bed. As you can imagine, not the greatest bed, so I was thinking about getting a nicer one, probably around July 4th for the sales. Here's the twist I haven't really seen in the thread yet - I almost always sleep with a sherpa blanket or comforter, so I think I'm a cold sleeper, My brother has a purple 3, and I did quite like the feel of it as a bed but it being cold to the touch was a negative to me. Anything geared specifically to cold sleepers like myself?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Argona posted:

Hey, another person looking for a recommendation for a queen size bed. I'm 90% a back sleeper, currently on a cheapo amazon bed. As you can imagine, not the greatest bed, so I was thinking about getting a nicer one, probably around July 4th for the sales. Here's the twist I haven't really seen in the thread yet - I almost always sleep with a sherpa blanket or comforter, so I think I'm a cold sleeper, My brother has a purple 3, and I did quite like the feel of it as a bed but it being cold to the touch was a negative to me. Anything geared specifically to cold sleepers like myself?

Historically, folks who sleep too cold haven't been targeted, as there is a fairly easy solution in "get more blankets and/or wear heavier pjs." Hot sleepers, in contrast, can only get so naked, you know? :v:

I'd encourage you to look at more traditional styled innerspring mattresses, or mid-tier hybrids that specifically don't have much in the way of cooling (e.g., the Sealy Copper series, BeautyRest hybrids that do not belong in a larger collection). As long as you avoid mattresses that feature cooling, you'll probably be ok!

If you get super cold, microfiber sheets are your friend.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Speaking of sheets, when I bought my Purple 3 from Mattress Firm their softstretch sheets came in a bundle with it. I love these loving sheets. Do you know how well they hold up? I'm strongly considering getting another set of them so I can alternate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

How do people get king-sized beds up stairwells? The perpendicular distance between our stairs and our stairwell ceiling is only 62 inches. We fit a queen through, but my wife is dead set on getting a non-split king. Is our only option a bed-in-a-box that we expand in our room?