Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

CitizenKeen posted:

Currently trying to picture the union of (a) people I play games with who love crunch, and (b) people who can reliably make it to more than one game.

Turn your monitor on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross posting from the KS thread:

The Witcher is live. Go get your minis.

That said I am probably far more interested in Paris l'Étoile, which looks like it's pulling an AFFO:Norwegians trick and making the base game even better.
It also said a magical combination of words I've never heard before, but am suddenly super intrigued by "Custom shaped 4mm thick wooden tiles with heat transfer printing". Wooden bits instead of cardboard? :nyoron:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Cross posting from the KS thread:

The Witcher is live. Go get your minis.

That said I am probably far more interested in Paris l'Étoile, which looks like it's pulling an AFFO:Norwegians trick and making the base game even better.
It also said a magical combination of words I've never heard before, but am suddenly super intrigued by "Custom shaped 4mm thick wooden tiles with heat transfer printing". Wooden bits instead of cardboard? :nyoron:

Is Paris any good? I've never actually heard of the game before the KS for the expansion was announced and I like K&K but this looks like another MWE with lovely components.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

FulsomFrank posted:

Is Paris any good? I've never actually heard of the game before the KS for the expansion was announced and I like K&K but this looks like another MWE with lovely components.

My video (with terrible hair) on Paris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6gBJ744KI

Video on Keyflower should be out this week btw.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mayveena posted:

My video (with terrible hair) on Paris.

Good video.

You should be interested to know that a new version of Palaces of Carrara is launching on KS in December this year.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Good video.

You should be interested to know that a new version of Palaces of Carrara is launching on KS in December this year.

I saw that. May wait for the retail version, unsure, I'll have to see what the KS looks like.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mayveena posted:

Video on Keyflower should be out this week btw.

I am very keen to hear your opinions on Keyflower.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Finally managed to play A Feast for Odin. I did go ahead and use the Norwegians straight away, and don't regret it. Sadly my wife had a bit of a long week and wasn't up to learning the game at the weekend, so I played solo. Enjoyed it so much I played another game straight away. I scored 98 the first time and (using a 1st round strategy I read on BGG to get a whaling boat and 1st round island) managed 134 the second. Both times I aggressively went for income and bonus tiles, but I got the island a round earlier in the second game, and ended up with more boards covered at the end. It's immensely satisfying piecing it all together and seeing your engines grow as the game progresses. Now I just have to try and hold off playing again until the wife is ready to avoid too having too big a headstart when we do play together!

I'm curious, does anyone here play 2-player using the 4-player side of the boards, in order to preserve the sandbox feel of the base game?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
No, it’s better with the tighter spaces so you have a little tension. Still pretty open and sandbox compared to Agricola

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Finally managed to play A Feast for Odin. I did go ahead and use the Norwegians straight away, and don't regret it. Sadly my wife had a bit of a long week and wasn't up to learning the game at the weekend, so I played solo. Enjoyed it so much I played another game straight away. I scored 98 the first time and (using a 1st round strategy I read on BGG to get a whaling boat and 1st round island) managed 134 the second. Both times I aggressively went for income and bonus tiles, but I got the island a round earlier in the second game, and ended up with more boards covered at the end. It's immensely satisfying piecing it all together and seeing your engines grow as the game progresses. Now I just have to try and hold off playing again until the wife is ready to avoid too having too big a headstart when we do play together!

I'm curious, does anyone here play 2-player using the 4-player side of the boards, in order to preserve the sandbox feel of the base game?

We usually play with the 2 player boards but sometimes will use the 3 or 4 player ones for variety. We arent super competitive though and like to houserule stuff as we go. If one person goes heavy into raiding having 2 spaces to do it each round is a pretty big deal

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Yeah, I didn't feel too constrained playing solo, with the same amount of action spaces blocked as if it were 2P, though I guess it's slightly better having control of the flow of those spaces than not. I'd heard of people using the other side for 2P, and in a way it appealed, but on the whole I agree it's still pretty open.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Nice scores for your first games! We always use the two-player boards except when we manage to trick another one or two people into playing it. It's so odd that it's like pulling teeth trying to get Agricola ride-or-die types to try it and/or like yet (and I think I mentioned this a while ago) we taught the game to another couple almost a year ago whose heaviest experience to date was Monopoly and they grokked onto it like I couldn't believe and loved it. I think there's so much going on in that box that it can be overwhelming and easy to miss the subtleties.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CitizenKeen posted:

I am very keen to hear your opinions on Keyflower.

Expect to hear the words "Once Seen, Always Seen". :)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Expect to hear the words "Once Seen, Always Seen". :)

Booooo

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Not my personal preference for that game either, but I've seen Mayveena's thoughts on the topic a few times and just thought I'd drop the teasing comment because I'm 99% sure it'll turn up in her video. :)

I think there's a sound logical basis behind it, but it just *feels* wrong for my tastes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Not my personal preference for that game either, but I've seen Mayveena's thoughts on the topic a few times and just thought I'd drop the teasing comment because I'm 99% sure it'll turn up in her video. :)

I think there's a sound logical basis behind it, but it just *feels* wrong for my tastes.

Yup! Bugged my son to get the editing done, we'll see.

Hiding things I've already seen behind shields assumes I'm too stupid to remember what's behind the screen. And while that's true I don't need to be reminded of it :)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
keeping seen meeples visible is a disrespect to the intent of the game. That's why I don't let anyone use calculators, rules reminders, glasses, or chairs at my games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I don't like open perfect info in games like Keyflower/T&E/High Society etc because it turns the knobs for some players' brains to full AP while they calculate every move. Memory heuristics in these types of games are simple enough ("I remember player Y got a boat with a lot of red") that it's worth the trade off of unoptimized play to make the game play twice as fast. On the opposite end, someone with perfect memory doesn't have a leg up on other players any more than someone that's played the game more times anyways.

I don't see what you gain from open info that makes it worth the slowdown in play.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is Keyflower perfect info? I thought certain meeples were pulled from the bag in secret?

Edit: Yeah, just looked at my rulebook. Keyflower isn't perfect info. I agree that perfect information games shouldn't hide info ("once seen, always seen"), but Keyflower has secret info as well.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 25, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Bottom Liner posted:

I don't like open perfect info in games like Keyflower/T&E/High Society etc because it turns the knobs for some players' brains to full AP while they calculate every move. Memory heuristics in these types of games are simple enough ("I remember player Y got a boat with a lot of red") that it's worth the trade off of unoptimized play to make the game play twice as fast. On the opposite end, someone with perfect memory doesn't have a leg up on other players any more than someone that's played the game more times anyways.

I don't see what you gain from open info that makes it worth the slowdown in play.

I also think there's a certain beauty in "forgetting" what someone did. I dunno. It's a weird argument because, yeah, I get the entire hyperbolic argument behind "well then forbid player aides, glasses and chairs at the table!" and there's logic there, but games test people's skills in a lot of different ways, be it memory, negotiation, spatial awareness, calculation of risk, etc. I think there's a middle ground that needs to be reached between perfect information and completely unassisted skill to make a game enjoyable.

That space is going to vary from game to game and, likely, will be perceived differently by different players. For me, with Keyflower, I prefer "once seen, now the screen" to "once seen, always seen" but I don't fault people who feel differently. I'd just prefer to play that game with people who feel the same way I do.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Is Keyflower perfect info? I thought certain meeples were pulled from the bag in secret?

Edit: Yeah, just looked at my rulebook. Keyflower isn't perfect info. I agree that total information games shouldn't hide info ("once seen, always seen"), but Keyflower has secret info as well.

Mayveena likes to play these games with open info. In Keyflower that means the meeples you take from public tiles stay in front of the screen. The topic comes up from time to time with this type of game because some people don't like the memory component of skill these games ask of players. I had a player that was adamant about note taking in High Society and that game just stops functioning if you allow open info, because no one would ever make the bid that makes them the player with the least money left.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 25, 2021

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oh, I get that info that's once public should stay public. It's dumb to hide things that you knew once. Glory to Rome says you have to say what you're putting in the vault but nobody (including you) can know what's in your vault. But that's dumb.

But Keyflower, some things you take are from public info, and some are secret, and the comingling is important because it then turns the known into the unknown.

No Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them in front of my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You know I still have two Red Meeples.

Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them behind my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You don't know if I have any Red Meeples left.

Those are two different games.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Impermanent posted:

keeping seen meeples visible is a disrespect to the intent of the game. That's why I don't let anyone use calculators, rules reminders, glasses, or chairs at my games.

I'm sorry but that's crazy. 18xx games are MEANT to be used with calculators. And as a designer myself, and if you choose to watch the video, you'll see exactly how wrong you are. Tom Lehmann, Richard Breese, Alexander Pfister, Joeren from Splotter, my co-designers, Bruce Harper the project lead on several Avalon Hill games back in the day, have no issue with house rules. I have no idea why you would think that somehow the designers are at your table watching what you do.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

My experience has been the opposite. When they don't know, then they sit there forever trying to remember. When they can see they make their decisions way faster. Also in general (although cons/meetups can change things) I don't play with slow players anyway.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I am currently yelling at my son to get the drat video done as concerns may or may not be addressed in it :).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Have you played Keyflower with "once seen, always seen"? I have played both ways and the "slowdown" doesn't seem to exist. The "calculation" with the open information amounts to "is 3 > 5?" and takes about as long as surveying one's memory of others' inventories.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

No Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them in front of my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You know I still have two Red Meeples.

Screen Scenario: I take two Red Meeples from the table and put them behind my screen. I take two (Red) Meeples from the bag and place them behind the screen (secretly). I then spend two Red Meeples from behind the screen. You don't know if I have any Red Meeples left.

Players would generally spend the known meeples first if playing open. Slightly changes things but yeah, your overall point is rihgt.

homullus posted:

Have you played Keyflower with "once seen, always seen"? I have played both ways and the "slowdown" doesn't seem to exist. The "calculation" with the open information amounts to "is 3 > 5?" and takes about as long as surveying one's memory of others' inventories.

Yeah, I've tried Keyflower and T&E with open info and hated the changes to both. If I could draw a parallel to another game that had a similar feel it would be Five Tribes. Perfect info on the board state caused players to get lost calculating moves and possible outcomes. T&E probably had a more dramatic effect on a turn to turn basis than Keyflower but the overall playtime was noticeably longer because end of round actions in KF would drag a lot more for us.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 25, 2021

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

I'm sorry but that's crazy. 18xx games are MEANT to be used with calculators. And as a designer myself, and if you choose to watch the video, you'll see exactly how wrong you are. Tom Lehmann, Richard Breese, Alexander Pfister, Joeren from Splotter, my co-designers, Bruce Harper the project lead on several Avalon Hill games back in the day, have no issue with house rules. I have no idea why you would think that somehow the designers are at your table watching what you do.

I'm pretty sure the voice there was presenting those options as "a modest proposal". :)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Players would generally spend the known meeples first if playing open. Slightly changes things but yeah, your overall point is rihgt.

I don't think the point is right either. So long as meeples are always spent from the front of the screen first, unknown information will remain unknown exactly as it would with full screening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think keyflower has any situations where spending open-information meeples gives information about hidden meeples. Such situations would mostly only arise under rules that require trusting the player to follow certain conditional rules without verification, which most hidden-information games rightly avoid (ie "you must spend a red meeple unless you have none, in which case you may spend a yellow meeple").

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Keyflower isn't a game that's fundamentally about memorization, it's not like you've compromised some core facet of the gameplay by removing the memory element. Whichever way of playing yields the better experience for your specific group, is the right way to do it.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

FulsomFrank posted:

Nice scores for your first games! We always use the two-player boards except when we manage to trick another one or two people into playing it. It's so odd that it's like pulling teeth trying to get Agricola ride-or-die types to try it and/or like yet (and I think I mentioned this a while ago) we taught the game to another couple almost a year ago whose heaviest experience to date was Monopoly and they grokked onto it like I couldn't believe and loved it. I think there's so much going on in that box that it can be overwhelming and easy to miss the subtleties.

Thanks - I was really pleased with both. It was fun getting things to balloon more for the higher one. Just really getting tile generation going early, and not being afraid to take another island just before the last turn because I knew I could fill it enough to be worthwhile. I think the first game aside from the home board I filled the Shetlands and a shed (with several emigrations) and the second I filled Isle of Skye, Labrador, a shed and a house, with one emigration thrown in. Had several occuptions both times. I know the Norwegians is meant to have buffed a more animal-focused approach, but it's tricky for me as novice to see how I could score similarly going that way. I'm sure it's entirely possible though, indeed, to score much higher. Might have a try next time round. I'm sure using occupations to their fullest can give a huge boost to most types of strategy.

I think learning the game entails a real spike in the work required at the very beginning, but once the information is absorbed it all feels really elegant, given the overall complexity. Pretty cool that a non-gaming couple were able to jump in that smoothly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, I've tried Keyflower and T&E with open info and hated the changes to both. If I could draw a parallel to another game that had a similar feel it would be Five Tribes. Perfect info on the board state caused players to get lost calculating moves and possible outcomes. T&E probably had a more dramatic effect on a turn to turn basis than Keyflower but the overall playtime was noticeably longer because end of round actions in KF would drag a lot more for us.

I don't think open helps T&E as much as it helps Keyflower so I'd probably agree to closed T&E vs closed Keyflower.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

Oh, I get that info that's once public should stay public. It's dumb to hide things that you knew once. Glory to Rome says you have to say what you're putting in the vault but nobody (including you) can know what's in your vault. But that's dumb.

But Keyflower, some things you take are from public info, and some are secret, and the comingling is important because it then turns the known into the unknown.

Spoiler ;) We absolutely play with screens as the opening meeples aren't known and neither are the ones you add from the bags. We also play Paris with once seen always seen and play with the end game chits face up too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a player that was adamant about note taking in High Society and that game just stops functioning if you allow open info, because no one would ever make the bid that makes them the player with the least money left.

Taking notes in a 15 minute breezy filler game like High Society seems double goony. Sure, if I had an eidetic memory I'd know you only have a 3, 6 and 15 left, but I don't, so gently caress me. I don't want to win that badly I am willing to be an inconvenience.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Magnetic North posted:

Taking notes in a 15 minute breezy filler game like High Society seems double goony. Sure, if I had an eidetic memory I'd know you only have a 3, 6 and 15 left, but I don't, so gently caress me. I don't want to win that badly I am willing to be an inconvenience.

*carefully scribbling down on a notepad every card you pick up in Gin Rummy*

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I agree that I am okay with hidden trackable information as a means to prevent AP. Libertalia does it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mayveena posted:

haha yes, as pointed out by someone else earlier I meant this satirically - overall I'm fine with altering rules like that to fit the needs of players at the table (and I need a personally need a calculator to play any game that adds numbers together larger than 5.) But I was talking with someone earlier about this and they mentioned how hiding some information helps reduce AP and I've also seen that, so I would basically take it on a table-by-table basis.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Has anyone here played Kings Dilemma? I have a copy and finally lockdown is relaxing here (UK). But we have a choice between playing now with four players or waiting until the next stage of lockdown easing and play with five. Does it need to be five player to get the full experience?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

King of Bleh posted:

Keyflower isn't a game that's fundamentally about memorization, it's not like you've compromised some core facet of the gameplay by removing the memory element. Whichever way of playing yields the better experience for your specific group, is the right way to do it.

The hidden information in Keyflower isn't even the bad part of Keyflower, it's everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Could I get some recommendations for some board games to play with my 5 year old? It'll generally be just me and her playing, with maybe another kid or adult now and then. She likes candy land and has somewhat outgrown the random Haba games that I have. Thanks.