Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
tiny little eggshell!

admittedly, not a critter. but still neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh I love ladyslippers!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Jacksonville, NC. Garter snake? Five step viper???

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'm no snakeologist but that's no garter snake

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The true test is trying to wear him as a garter, of course. If he falls off then it's probably a yellow rat snake

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I’m getting a rat snake vibe but I only have western field guides right now.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Oh yeah definitely appears to be a rat snake. For some reason rat snakes weren't coming up on any of the "snakes of North Carolina" pages I looked at. Thanks, good to know it won't murder my dogs.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure if it counts, but just yesterday the flickers here started their yearly ritual of pecking the poo poo out of the plumbing vents on my roof presumably as a mating ritual. Last year I thought an inconsiderate neighbor was using an air ratchet at odd intervals until I finally figured out it was the birds.

It took me like three years to realize it was a bird and not an inconsiderate neighbor. :doh:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Forgive the potato quality of my phone camera, but here is a pic from a couple hours ago during a walk at a local park. In the bottom right is a green heron, top left is a blue heron.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nice find!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Forgive the potato quality of my phone camera, but here is a pic from a couple hours ago during a walk at a local park. In the bottom right is a green heron, top left is a blue heron.

You still need the yellow heron, black heron, red heron, and pink heron to form the heron megazord.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Heard a thunk and looked out the window to watch this cooper's hawk snatch this finch he'd flushed into the glass :black101:

Things are progressing nicely w/ my crow friend. He comes when he sees me or when I whistle if he's in the area. There aren't really a lot of crows around and I've figured out that if I can hear crows at all, I can go outside and whistle up into the air and he'll be around in a minute. And he'll come straight down and eat while I'm out there now. I'm pretty amazed at how quickly he's warmed up to me just since march or whenever we started.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I found another snake. I was only able to get a bad picture because it was not happy with me (crunched up, widened neck, and hissing) and I didn't want to get too close with my garbage phone.

Greenish-yellow, black spots, flat neck when upset. Lower Northern Michigan. Might be an Eastern Hog-nose?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

McGavin posted:

You still need the yellow heron, black heron, red heron, and pink heron to form the heron megazord.

No no, the blue, pink, red, black & yellow made the standard Heronzord...green combined to make the Super Dragon Heronzord

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Actuarial Fables posted:

I found another snake. I was only able to get a bad picture because it was not happy with me (crunched up, widened neck, and hissing) and I didn't want to get too close with my garbage phone.

Greenish-yellow, black spots, flat neck when upset. Lower Northern Michigan. Might be an Eastern Hog-nose?

It's very possible, especially given the dramatics.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

It's very possible, especially given the dramatics.

Pointy face, hood, blotchy, that’s my pick

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Found these fellas today in Astoria, OR

Roomate took the photos, idk why he couldnt focus this

These snails were really pretty with the pink and green streaks and when I walked out into the surf there were tons of them with their soft-bits spread out really flat and wide like they were using it to get dragged around by the water

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Astoria! I used to live there!

Now I'm a cool south Oregon coast guy :coolfish:

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Literally A Person posted:

Astoria! I used to live there!

Now I'm a cool south Oregon coast guy :coolfish:

Its a really pretty town, I love the coast and all its horrible place names. Saw "Dismal Nitch" today

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Speaking of the southern Oregon coast is there a reason this rat:

Would be acting really strange in my backyard. Like it's paralyzed or something. My cats won't get near it and it won't run away. It let me just walk up and take that picture. A rat. Like the bad kind.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Would be acting really strange in my backyard. Like it's paralyzed or something. My cats won't get near it and it won't run away. It let me just walk up and take that picture. A rat. Like the bad kind.

Small guys like that dont usually get rabies, but its not impossible, it might also just be sick with something else or has a head injury :shrug: it doesnt look like a domestic rat so its probably not someone's escaped pet. I know with pet rats having poofed out fur like that is usually a really bad sign.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

You probably have a neighbor using rat poison. Rats get sluggish and then some unsuspecting fox or hawk or owl (or someone’s dog) eats it and gets hosed.

E: check out https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 31, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Bismuth posted:

Its a really pretty town, I love the coast and all its horrible place names. Saw "Dismal Nitch" today

Astoria is one of the loveliest places I've ever visited. I fed seagulls in flight by hand from the car window while crossing the bridge into WA and when we went to check out the Goonies house a neighbor offered to give us a tour up it's driveway in exchange for beer and weed

Tarantula and scorpion corpses I found in central Nevada last fall

The absolute fuzziest Japanese beetles. There were tons of them clinging to bunchgrass culms warming their bellies in the sun. Invasive as gently caress but they're pretty adorable

Huge carpenter bee warming up in the greenhouse. I thought she might be stuck but she zipped right out the window the moment I annoyed her enough to convince her to leave, pretty good sense of direction. That's a massive pepper leaf, she was about the size of a half-dollar.

There she's waving her legs at me and buzzing in an aggravated manner once I got too close

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we have a shitload of carpenter bees around(and in parts of) our house, and I love that when I put my dog out back, the ones out there follow her around, seemingly fascinated by this big black thing moving around. they hover like drones, occasionally flitting to a new spot to hover in to get a better viewing angle I guess.

treat posted:

Tarantula and scorpion corpses I found in central Nevada last fall
those are just sheddings, right? they look weird for dead arthropod bodies, they look more like shed skin.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Uhhh that fuzz on them beetles has gotta be a fungus or something right? Normally they’re super shiny and smooth

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

BetterLekNextTime posted:

You probably have a neighbor using rat poison. Rats get sluggish and then some unsuspecting fox or hawk or owl (or someone’s dog) eats it and gets hosed.

E: check out https://www.raptorsarethesolution.org

Oh great. Reading this is worrying me a lot. Usually people around here use cats to do that kind of pest control so the prospect of little poison bombs running around is extremely unsettling.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Those are little bear beetles.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Huge carpenter bee warming up in the greenhouse. I thought she might be stuck but she zipped right out the window the moment I annoyed her enough to convince her to leave, pretty good sense of direction. That's a massive pepper leaf, she was about the size of a half-dollar.

There she's waving her legs at me and buzzing in an aggravated manner once I got too close

This is a bumble bee, not carpenter bee.

Where were these pictures taken? I want to know what this species is. Somewhere from midwest to northeast North America? Looks like Bombus bimaculatus, but the wings are obscuring the smoking gun feature for that species. The face coloration is real odd though. They're normally totally black, instead of what they call "smokey," as seen here.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 31, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dude chilling out on a wall at work, guessing it's just one of a billion various grungy-looking brown/grey moths and nothing really noteworthy

and this guy was attracted to the wall where my light points. I've never seen a centipede get attracted to lights, do they and I just don't notice because they're ground-dwellers? at first I thought it might've been a baby house centipede or silverfish, but no, just a regular ol' centipede of some sort.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Well, at least I can still ID insects down to order reliably

That bee was in Idaho, so probably B. nevadensis

I'm glad those little bears aren't what I thought they were, I can love them even more now. Even their name is cute.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Big critter

El Burbo fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 31, 2021

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Thought this one was sunning itself at first, but no, he was about to thwack the one next to him. They all seemed pissed off at the others for having the same idea for a roosting spot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Red Queen posted:

Thought this one was sunning itself at first, but no, he was about to thwack the one next to him. They all seemed pissed off at the others for having the same idea for a roosting spot.

What kind of vultures are those? I saw a couple turkey vultures standing by the side of the road the other day (it was weird seeing them up close), and their heads are very red.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Looks like a black vulture. We got them in texas and there seems to be a lot out recently. That or there more roadkill this year.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Well, at least I can still ID insects down to order reliably

That bee was in Idaho, so probably B. nevadensis

Unlikely. I had to look up the size of a half-dollar. It's huge, but apart from that most everything else about it doesn't fit that species. I'm guessing it's a queen sized individual of another species.

Changing my ID to a queen B. griseocollis, one of the variants without the brown belt that I'm more accustomed to. Neat! Has the smoky face too. Very common species in Idaho and queen production peaks at around this time of year.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 31, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Heronchat is timely for me, because I also spotted a heron

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never seen a centipede get attracted to lights, do they and I just don't notice because they're ground-dwellers?

It’s more likely it knows lights are primo foraging turf

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Heronchat is timely for me, because I also spotted a heron

Where I grabbed the picture of both the green and blue herons has several blue heron nests in the same tree. It looks like maybe 3 nests are active this year, although it's hard to tell and I haven't been outside as much for the last year due to covid. The resident blue herons are pretty drat chill as far as blue herons tend to go - they'll come within 10 feet or so of people and mostly just seem mildly annoyed. Those are some big drat birds.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Had a dresser my parents brought me to put in my new house that was in storage. Had about 3 cute little mice hitch a ride and jump out. I have no idea how I did it, but I managed to eventually chase each one down, catch and put outside. This last one was chilling right beside the worthless cat, but I guess I'm glad she didn't kill it. They were nice mice, none of them even bit me which I'm glad of. They went by pretty fast, it was either stomp them or just snatch them up with my bare hands.

It's eyes look bulgy, but I'm definitely only holding it tight enough to keep from getting away. Let them all go in the little patch of woods behind my house. Washed my hands afterward, hopefully I don't catch anything nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my first rodent ever was a teeny tiny baby rat that my auction house-employed uncle found a nest of in a piece of furniture they were delivered, with the mom nowhere in sight, so he asked if anyone wanted one. I took care of it as best I could, but I was only 7 at the time and wasn't well versed in caring for a baby rat, and he only made it about a week before dying. I was so distraught that my grandma, who I was staying with at the time, took me to a pet store and got me a hamster, the one they had by the register that was "very used to people", a chinese dwarf hamster I named Junior. Junior then lived to be over 7 years old, outliving 3 hamsters purchased for me to have when she eventually passed.