Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do my deep-frying outdoors in a big pot with a propane burner. Best part is I can fry chicken then make fries while the chicken is cooling and well wouldn't you know it now we have fries and chicken and the kitchen is clean!

Plus the oil I get all over the driveway is ostensibly like a mini sealant right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I set up a permanent frying station in my kitchen because I actively enjoy the entire process of frying stuff. I even enjoy scrubbing up the aftermath and filtering the oil. Cooking a fried dinner feels like a meditation. I never end up eating what I make though. I'm always too hot and gross for the heavy food.

Actually I wish I enjoyed any of the food I cook. I'm forever in the kitchen snacking on crackers and pickles during dinner because I never want to eat what I make.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

fizzymercury posted:

I set up a permanent frying station in my kitchen because I actively enjoy the entire process of frying stuff. I even enjoy scrubbing up the aftermath and filtering the oil. Cooking a fried dinner feels like a meditation. I never end up eating what I make though. I'm always too hot and gross for the heavy food.

Actually I wish I enjoyed any of the food I cook. I'm forever in the kitchen snacking on crackers and pickles during dinner because I never want to eat what I make.

Weird! Why not just make something you like...??

Or are you trying to kill someone you live with by making them eat fried food often?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I start out making food I want to eat and by the end of it I'm tired and just want snacks and a beer. I always eat what I make but I eat leftovers hours later. I just wish I wanted to eat my very delicious cooking when it's at it's peak.

And I'm not trying to kill my boyfriend but he eats like a minimum of 5000 calories a day because he's a landscaper. I'm considering installing a food trough.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

I made falafel for tonight's dinner and I have to decide if I'm going to deep fry them or just bake them.

Have you baked them and had them turn out well before? I never quite managed to get it to work right, I'd try baking them in a mini muffin tin, but they'd always be quite tough.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fizzymercury posted:

I start out making food I want to eat and by the end of it I'm tired and just want snacks and a beer. I always eat what I make but I eat leftovers hours later. I just wish I wanted to eat my very delicious cooking when it's at it's peak.

You sound so much like me in this paragraph, which is slightly worrisome as I'm afraid I might start eating mercury

But I lose my entire appetite during the act of cooking, from the prep and the smells and the tasting and the cleanup. Sometimes I just give my wife and daughter the food and eat cold cuts

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

You sound so much like me in this paragraph, which is slightly worrisome as I'm afraid I might start eating mercury

But I lose my entire appetite during the act of cooking, from the prep and the smells and the tasting and the cleanup. Sometimes I just give my wife and daughter the food and eat cold cuts

What the hell is wrong with you people?!
Also, please don’t eat mercury, fizzy or otherwise.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sous vide your mercury so it’s at that jammy stage

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Sous vide your mercury so it’s at that jammy stage

Your mercury is ready when you drop some into water and it forms a ball.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I prefer to sous vide Uranus.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

quote:

Deep fryers are dangerous. You say to yourself "Oh, I'll just fry up some mushrooms and onion rings for this one special meal." But then you have the same classic conundrum that everyone all through history has had: "poo poo, now I have all this oil and need to use it before it goes bad."
For the next several weeks, you end up frying everything that could every possibly be fried. Yeah, used oil can be stored and reused, but there is still a ticking clock. You get crazier and crazier. You started out with just a few common fried foods--potatoes, mushrooms, onions--but then you go though some sort of sexual food experimentation phase. You've become frysexual, and now you're frying poo poo that you've never seen fried in restaurants. You push your cart down supermarket aisles wondering if foods would be better if they were fried. Part of you dies when you realize that you can take items that have been purposely baked instead of fried, such as Baked Lays chips, and fry them yourself to show your defiance. You keep saying that you're frying these strange things "just to see what they taste like" but you and I know that it's far beyond experimentation at this point. You've become an addict. Eating deep fried macaroni and cheese is not just something you do for fun, but it's loving drat tasty and you know it deep inside.

Then you taint all of your oil with fish, and now it's just hosed. You've got to use it all, fast, and on some food that won't taste too terrible with a faint fish flavor. Ah, potatoes. You remember your old friends. They were there for your simple, fried food desires before you moved on to these fried exotics. Oh the simple life.

You make some fries. They're good, and aren't ruined by the fishy oil. But oh god there is still too much oil left. So you make more. You make batch after batch after batch of fries. Dear god, you're 10 pounds into this french fry venture and the oil doesn't seem to have diminished at all.

So you run down to the store and buy one of these:

Yes. Yes you must use the oil. Potatoes are cheap. Wash. Cut. Fry. Dry. Wash. Cut. Fry. Dry. You are the french fry king. You are lord and master of this land of bountiful french fries. You've seasoned them a dozen ways: Cajun, sea salt, parmesan, paprika, dill, lemon pepper, garlic, etc. You've made every dipping sauce known to man. Then your friends don't hear from you for weeks and they find you rocking back and forth in the corner of your kitchen, mounds of fries all around you, while you mumble "There's still more oil. Got to use the oil. The oil, guys, oil is expensive. Got to use the oil. More fries. More fries.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

tarbrush posted:

My attempts at deep frying were delicious beyond my wildest dreams and I've never done it again because the inevitable oil waste and tidying up put me off

That's honestly the only thing that saves me.

If it wasn't such a bitch to clean up after deep frying outside of a commercial fryer and hood setup, I'd just make doughnuts whenever I felt like it and have to be wheeled out of the house on a pallet when my heart finally gave out.

Also, you haven't really lived until you've gone fully down the making perfect fries rabbit hole.

Slice the potatoes, rinse.

Let sit overnight in a cambro full of cold water to float off the excess starch.

Par-fry in peanut oil at 325 until pale. Freeze. Final fry to crisp at 375 before serving.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

To be fair, I don't even have a deep fat fryer per se. I used to use a big wok, these days I use my soup pot. Less fiddly though yeah oil disposal is still an annoyance.

Oh yeah make yourself some Chicken 65 and onion bhajis and maybe samosas. s'legit and that way you get good use out of the oil, even if your dinner that night is going to explode your every artery.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I use my Dutch oven for frying. Holds pretty much a whole bottle of oil, and I just filter it when it cools and pour it back in the bottle to reuse shortly or dispose of.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

After a few failures with cold oil fries, and knowing they can be delicious, I think I'm going back to the cast iron vs wok for frying.

Am I just delusional though?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

If you have an outdoor fire pit save your old oil and just dump it in there BEFORE you light the fire. BEFORE!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I use my Dutch oven for frying. Holds pretty much a whole bottle of oil, and I just filter it when it cools and pour it back in the bottle to reuse shortly or dispose of.

Same! Nut milk bag for filtering is quick and good enough, bottle goes in the garage beer fridge and lasts a dozen uses as long as you don't do fish or a bitter vegetable

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Nut milk bag

heh

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's called a nut milk sack unless you're in canada.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mystes posted:

It's called a nut milk sack unless you're in canada.

Don't know if I've seen nut milk in bags yet

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Don't know if I've seen nut milk in bags yet

I’ve just PMed you. :wink:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Liquid Communism posted:

That's honestly the only thing that saves me.

If it wasn't such a bitch to clean up after deep frying outside of a commercial fryer and hood setup, I'd just make doughnuts whenever I felt like it and have to be wheeled out of the house on a pallet when my heart finally gave out.

Also, you haven't really lived until you've gone fully down the making perfect fries rabbit hole.

Slice the potatoes, rinse.

Let sit overnight in a cambro full of cold water to float off the excess starch.

Par-fry in peanut oil at 325 until pale. Freeze. Final fry to crisp at 375 before serving.
Best fries I've ever made at home I did by shallow frying them in duck fat in a fry pan. Way more labour intensive than using a deep fryer/dutch oven, though.

Made potato chips/crisps via a similar method a couple times earlier in the pandemic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Duck fat fries are absurdly good.

There's a French place here in town that does duck frites, and I adore them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just tried the angry lady hot pot mix as thread's recommendation and it rocks. But it only calls for 500ml of water, whereas most of the mixes I use call for 1000-1500ml. Do you guys use two packs at a time, or just a very small pot or what? Followup question: Any cheap place online to buy it in bulk?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I did falafel again tonight (I made a bunch of extra before and froze them) and I actually fried them this time, and yeah... they're a lot better fried.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mystes posted:

I did falafel again tonight (I made a bunch of extra before and froze them) and I actually fried them this time, and yeah... they're a lot better fried.

I think this is true for basically all cooked foods.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

You need to double dip your chips when frying them.

When you first toss them in the hot oil (I use a wok to avoid having litres of oil to use), it quickly brings the temperature down. If you just leave them in there as the oil warms up, then you get too crispy on the outside while still a bit soggy on the inside.

So first dip: let the outside crisp a bit. Then remove and let the oil heat up again.

Second dip with half cooked chips: cook them through

A good chipper will double dip their chip.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love the idea of applying all this process to cooking, but for things like fries... Is your end result that much better than what you could get if you went out somewhere to your *favorite* fry place for a few dollars? It feels like a lot of work and time for fries, like you'd expect to spend that much time making sous vide duck confit or something. Is this something like you grew up in Fry Country and it scratches an itch?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

I love the idea of applying all this process to cooking, but for things like fries... Is your end result that much better than what you could get if you went out somewhere to your *favorite* fry place for a few dollars? It feels like a lot of work and time for fries, like you'd expect to spend that much time making sous vide duck confit or something. Is this something like you grew up in Fry Country and it scratches an itch?

For me it was being stuck at home for a year+, I made a lot of fried stuff because I felt fries didn't travel well and we didn't want to go out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

To me, home deep frying is only worth it for chicken, falafel, and tater tots because other home methods just aren't the same, and home quality vastly surpasses restaurants. For wedge fries, I'm quite happy with par-cook, rough up + starch slurry, convection oven "fry". I even started doing the par-cook in the microwave and it's even faster. I'll still get fries at nicer burg joints because that's a different product, but my method tides me over in between those not-inexpensive trips.

Then there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is amazing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

VelociBacon posted:

Frying is basically optimal eating out food. Low marginal cost high setup cost, tons of cleanup, large margin for error, cheap ingredients. That said as with all food there's still some fun doing it on your own, plus you get to choose your fat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have always been a "one good kitchen knife is all I need" kind of guy but I bought a cheap food processor on a whim today and I feel like I have opened a portal to a whole new world.

Now I want a nice one, that's bigger.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tried making biscuits with Lawry's seasoning salt instead of Old Bay, and I almost couldn't taste it at all; not worth using even over plain salt.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

VelociBacon posted:

I've found it's surprisingly meditative and soothing to fry up little potatoes in a weird way, a chance to burn off some work stress and let my brain chill for a bit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIaAMIUd6WQ

Very good with Shanghai bok choy miu rice. Will make again

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
My goodness that's a gorgeous video. It looks really good, drat. I can't follow the subtitles at all, though. It took me 5 minutes to get through the first one minute. Videos like this give me dyslexia anxiety.

Do I need the on screen audio instructions or is the recipe like it looks on screen? Sometimes they drop in tips and I don't get them.

Maybe my roommate will read it to me because that looks amazing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

My goodness that's a gorgeous video. It looks really good, drat. I can't follow the subtitles at all, though. It took me 5 minutes to get through the first one minute. Videos like this give me dyslexia anxiety.

Do I need the on screen audio instructions or is the recipe like it looks on screen? Sometimes they drop in tips and I don't get them.

Maybe my roommate will read it to me because that looks amazing.

They also have a link to their website that's more straightforward.

Their recipe is as follows:

2 oz. Green onions (the white part), julienned and minced
1.5 oz. Ginger, julienned and minced
(He also says you can just use a food processor)
5 tbsp. Corn oil (I used canola since it's what I have; it was fine)

Added after cooking:
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. Sesame oil

Refrigerate

Heat oil to 400/until shimmering
Add ginger and cook 15 seconds
Add the green onion and do the same
Remove from heat and place in a bowl, then add the salt and sesame oil

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Has something changed in the egg supply chain that results in eggs lower in lechtin or something? I make a small amount of mayo every couple weeks for sandwiches and so on, and starting like two months ago suddenly every loving time the mayo wants to turn into a soupy mess. I've been making mayo for roughly forever and I think I might've had the emulsion fail maybe twice. And now it's every loving time unless it's babied like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

SubG posted:

Has something changed in the egg supply chain that results in eggs lower in lechtin or something? I make a small amount of mayo every couple weeks for sandwiches and so on, and starting like two months ago suddenly every loving time the mayo wants to turn into a soupy mess. I've been making mayo for roughly forever and I think I might've had the emulsion fail maybe twice. And now it's every loving time unless it's babied like crazy.

Huh. Do you have a regular brand? There really aren't all that many egg producers in the US unless you're buying from local folks. Iowa is by far the largest producer of chicken eggs in the country but there's only a handful of industrial layers. i had to write about an avian flu epidemic there as a journalist and the actual size of some laying operations staggered me. one local producer had to euthanize 5 millions birds (cant recall of they were broilers or layers) in one go.

It wouldn't shock me of an industrial producer changed its feed formulation to save 0.002 cents per dozen eggs or whatever even if it meant the egg was worse. CAFO animal husbandry (and, well, bigtime capitalism) is all about cranking out shaving fractions of pennies to maximize profit. Have you tried a different or a "certified humane" brand or anything?