Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My mom has lived in Canada since the 80s and speaks English fine (albeit accented) but Jeopardy moves wayyyyyyyyu too fast for her to get anything other than the science questions that are gimmes for her. She just can’t parse the questions quickly enough to answer them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I'm a native English speaker but the classical music categories and a hyper focus on Christianity are the ones that throw me off the most. I get some of them due to (thankfully only) a few years of Christian indoctrination but my partner didn't have any so it's a complete miss for them.

Further on being familiar with the format, etc., as soon as they reveal the categories I'm already brainstorming what the possible questions would be. I'm sure I'm not the only viewer that does that but if I were completely new to the show I would just let the questions come at me one by one.

Vvvvvvvv: yeah, Rudyard kipling/ jungle book comes up like once a month.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 26, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you watch the show enough you know the answers to clues based on them asking similar clues in the past. Some people not used to those may overthink the answer. And the wordplay ones have got to be killer if you aren't an American.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groovelord Neato posted:

If you watch the show enough you know the answers to clue based on them asking similar clues in the past. Some people not used to those may overthink the answer. And the wordplay ones have got to be killer if you aren't an American.

"This scottish poet..."

WHO IS BURNS

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Poque posted:

"This scottish poet..."

WHO IS BURNS

“This Finnish composer…”

WHO IS SIBELIUS

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"This final book of the Bible..."

WHAT DOESN'T HAVE AN "S" AT THE END OF IT

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

“This Finnish composer…”

WHO IS SIBELIUS

"This Norwegian playwright..."

WHO IS IBSEN

I love Jeopardy pavlovs.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

wooger posted:

The show concept and pace is fine, though it does seem far too dependent on buzzer timing vs anything else, at least in regular Jeopardy.

It would be a more fair trivia contest to let people buzz in whenever but it's a better television show the way it is.

I have found newcomers to be baffled by the answer-and-question format that's now barely followed. No real reason for them to still be doing "what is" other than it being tradition.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Sarah Jett Rayburn has made a couple posts on the Jeopardy subreddit that have been really beautiful and I'd like to link one she posted today.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/nl7uar/the_most_perfect_jeopardy_moment/

I really enjoyed her on her run (I found her chattiness very endearing) and she really seems like a wonderful person. Very cool contestant.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Orzo posted:

I was all about defending Ryan for his excitement in his first game that some people called rude, but this time his attitude was just poor sportsmanship. Unfortunate.

Why? Dude was sour sure, but it seemed just competitive and to be honest I think he seemed more angry at himself.

HookShot posted:

My mom has lived in Canada since the 80s and speaks English fine (albeit accented) but Jeopardy moves wayyyyyyyyu too fast for her to get anything other than the science questions that are gimmes for her. She just can’t parse the questions quickly enough to answer them.

She at least gets the hockey questions right ?

“This general manager needs to be fired asap”

“Who is Benning….wait Bergevon….wait at Treviling!”

Correct answer: all of them

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

She at least gets the hockey questions right ?

“This general manager needs to be fired asap”

“Who is Benning….wait Bergevon….wait at Treviling!”

Correct answer: all of them

LOL. Yeah, right.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the wordplay ones have got to be killer if you aren't an American.

Only from an occasionally odd pronunciation point of view - the wordplay works fine in Britain I think.

There is some other oddness, though I think it’s just bad questions. The contestant in correctly answering a ‘homophones’ questions the other day knew perfectly well that content and content are not homophones.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I really dislike any question that depends on pronunciation.

My personal favorite topic like that was about silent "L"s and the contestants pronounced the L when they gave the correct answers for 'calm' and 'stalk'.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I move that letters only be considered silent if the word is pronounced exactly the same without it. So no to the L in calm because cam has a different vowel sound. Of course, by extension this means the K in brick is silent and so is the C.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Why bet 5,000 there.

City of gold!?

Come on, Nic Cage, you're better than that.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poor Nibir hit his limit. Jason might could have made it in either of the first two semifinals, but Jennifer was that much better.

I am so pepped for the final.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Barely got that final at the last second. I immediately thought of the William Tell Overture but I was completely blanking on the name of the composer.

I'm really excited that Jennifer won. I'll still be rooting for Veronica in the finale, though.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My brain betrayed me. The William Tell Overture was playing in my brain, but decided to go, "Oh, the guy who wrote the 1812 Overture....Tchaikovsky!"

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Digging this final crew and rooting for VVV to take it! This has been a great TOC so far.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wow Sam with the big bet to crank the pressure up tomorrow!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I love jeopardy

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That game was so good.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
That was good. Feel like a idiot for overthinking Final like Sam did.

It's only my opinion but Buzzy has by far been the best host. Ken and Aaron look like amateurs next to him. I doubt he'll get it due to a low Q score to the other candidates but he should be the conversation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

It's only my opinion but Buzzy has by far been the best host. Ken and Aaron look like amateurs next to him. I doubt he'll get it due to a low Q score to the other candidates but he should be the conversation.

Buzzy absolutely smoked every other guest host thus far. Trebek didn't want another generic white guy to take over the show, but if that's the direction Richards & Co. go, I would not complain. He combined enthusiasm with intelligence and authority, plus a genuinely friendly attitude.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
How can they preempt Jeopardy in Portland when Veronica’s a finalist? No one in Portland cares about either of these teams!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't know if I would call Buzzy generic tbh.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I read about that stupid loving stretch armstrong TWELVE loving HOURS AGO.

DO YOU THINK I WAS ABLE TO COME UP WITH IT TONIGHT?

NO. OF COURSE NOT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Buzzy did such a good job.

HookShot posted:

NO. OF COURSE NOT.

You bring shame to your household.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Buzzy is my new top pick. Awesome job and awesome tournament

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Crazy that we’re getting Mike Richards after that performance (I’m just trolling at this point but I believe it)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I didn’t know about Buzzy at the beginning but he won me over. Give him the job out of everyone so far.

HookShot posted:

NO. OF COURSE NOT.

My wife thought it was Mr. Stretch. Her parents must have gotten her the generic Cracker Barrel version growing up

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I would not be mad if Buzzy got the job, let's just put it that way.

Hed posted:

My wife thought it was Mr. Stretch. Her parents must have gotten her the generic Cracker Barrel version growing up
LOL. I also learned he was filled with corn syrup!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like Buzzy and I think he's been the best so far but I do agree with this obersation:

feetnotes posted:

I’ve noticed Buzzy seems to get caught up in the energy of the competition and his reading of the answers gets punchier, louder, and faster at times as the momentum heats up. Like he’s matching the contestants’ excitement rather than balancing it with a calm demeanor. It’s actually pretty good for the tournament format but it would probably get fatiguing.

He’s still one of my favorites so far though, yeah.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I don't remember being much of a fan during his original run but man Buzzy loving ruled as TOC host. I like Ken and at the start I'd have said sure just give it to him because of his connection and because of how much he obviously wanted it, but compared to Buzzy and Aaron Rodgers maybe he played it a bit too safe? Like he was fine but being better than 90% of the guests wasn't all that hard. I respect Alex but his opinion on who deserves the spot is meaningless to me especially knowing he was friends with Dr fuckface Oz.
My order would prob go Buzzy, Rodgers, Ken. I don't give a ahit about any of the ones still to come.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

frogbs posted:

How can they preempt Jeopardy in Portland when Veronica’s a finalist? No one in Portland cares about either of these teams!
Yeah, that was really frustrating, especially since the winner was spoiled all over the news and social media hours before it finally aired.

Even knowing the results it was a fun game to watch and I really liked Sam's reaction when they officially named him the champion.

I'll agree with the sentiment on Buzzy too. I thought it was a really out-of-left-field pick when it was announced, but he did a great job and I think he'd do great as a permanent host.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Who is looking forward to Mayim Bialik this week?

I can't beleive she's hawking brain pills on TV.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mister Kingdom posted:

Who is looking forward to Mayim Bialik this week?

I can't beleive she's hawking brain pills on TV.

A legitimate doctor promoting quack science and hosting Jeopardy!? That’s a second

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Don't forget a woman who blamed the #metoo movement on other actresses acting slutty.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I just cannot imagine trying my whole life to get onto a game show and finally getting on and then getting on and then Blossom is at the lectern. If it was Six I'd let it slide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
They should have the gal from Small Wonder do it in her robot voice