Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wizgame update: talked to this dude

he keeps sending me to go beat up lion tribes to show I'm stronger than them only for the lion tribes to be like "dude wtf why are you beating me up, if you wanted to talk you could have just spoken to our tribe's chief" and then it's a bunch of back and forth like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

please explain in whic hway you call it a sequel to black & white because that's one of my trigger words that makes me grab my wallet even though steam already has my cc info saved
not in a good way. mostly just has that kind of aggressively 2000s edgy morality and sense of humor that b&w (and also fable) has, down to also having manifestations of good and evil that argue about what you should do

it is about creatures also but theyre boring rear end mediocre action game creatures, and not virtual pets

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
disco elysium was alright I guess, nothing to write home about

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

cheetah7071 posted:

disco elysium was alright I guess, nothing to write home about

Yeah it was a fairly uninteresting videogame with a dull premise and a skill system I've seen done too many times before.

Must dash, have to go put 60 hours into whatever generic 3rd person shooter is gobbling up the 9s and 10s this week

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Does the remaster keep the film grain graphics option?

Yeah, also adds it for the first game as the original chef it for some reason

Edit: before my phone mangled it this was supposed to refer to the third game

Convex fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 26, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm writing a letter to your house about how you were wrong and it was more gooder than "alright."

BioMutant so far is pretty eh, not sure why they decided to make a furry game... when they still aren't able to render fur convincingly, just weird zigzaggy crimped looking strands. It doesn't look great, especially up close. Character creation was a huge letdown. That creature you see is what you get, you get a weird orb slider to mess with it's proportions a little but it's always the same ratfox thing. I made mine an agile psychic pikachu.

The combat controls on KBM are horrible, holding middle mouse then pressing e/rmb/alt/shift to use magic (or use f1-f4)? Melee combat has bad feedback, like in Arkham, you can feel hits, there's weight to it, there's audiovisual feedback. In this it's just wet and sloppy, hard to tell if you're really hitting, parrying windows feel real loose. Fights themselves are pretty messy and you're generally strafing around and dodging but then you'll launch up to some enemy and be attacking them melee in the air in slow-mo when you didn't mean to. There's also a combo system to kind of muddy things up more and so far at least it seems like you're meant to be fluidly combining melee/guns/magic but then they also added a bio mutation system that's not the same as magic, i barf a green mind control orb.

I met the black and white Navis. I went light blue at first but the angel things voice annoyed me so I swapped to bad boy club... but still got light points about it?

I never played Shadow Hedgehog's game, but this is what I imagine it's like.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What makes biomutant noteworthy in the first place? Why has it been on everybody's lips this past week?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

What makes biomutant noteworthy in the first place? Why has it been on everybody's lips this past week?

Just new game thirst

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It’s A Game that actually came out in 2021, which itself is noteworthy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I will also add a Biomutant trip report.

My main takeaway after about 3 hours: A team of 20 decided to make a Far Cry game? And I guess I'm kinda impressed that they were able to ship something that somewhat looks the part, but at that point why don't I just play a Far Cry game, because also the game is kinda built on design and storytelling tropes that are 10+ years old

To wit: basic annoying lockpicking minigames all over. The crafting and skill systems seem way too finicky and complicated for the kind of humdrum end product. Why am I getting loot drops that are 10 or 20 levels above me in the starting area? The outposts (I am not kidding about the Far Cry comparison) are copy-pasted and also there was some weird dialogue minigame I didn't understand for one of them and then suddenly I had control of the outpost? Yeah they have a combo system to try to make you shake things up but it feels pretty clunky and unsatisfying, like at first it seems they want to let you specialize in one kind of combat but the trees are really short to fill in and then you keep getting upgrade points? I tried to spec in dual pistols but in the whole time I played I didn't find a second pistol but kept on getting melee weapons and melee parts. Also there are flashbacks where you're forced to use the melee anyway because you're a kid and don't have a gun.

I guess maybe you'd want to play a story of furry animals going to war. Yet most of the generic creatures in the world look grotesque, especially since the fur tech is really, really bad. The designs of the main cast are kinda fun I suppose:

But it doesn't help that all their dialogue is filtered through a really cloying Stanley Parablesque narrator who is constantly framing every single action like a Randy Newman song. Every dialogue has the character speaking in a fake language, then the narrator says "Says such and such" like they're reading a plot summary. When you're wandering through the world he keeps on saying poo poo like "Live for the present because tomorrow is already gone" and I'm like come on (you can turn this off in the options I guess) but then it also intersects with the morality system in a really bad way.

The game has a super basic light side dark side morality system which gates powers. You earn points in, again, poo poo like from a 2005 game, literally you find a prisoner in an outpost and it's like "enslave them" or "help them" and there's no other context to it or other effects besides giving you morality points. The dark side faction is literally "genocide everyone" and the light side faction is "help everyone" (although maybe there's an ulterior motive?) but for some reason they also have medium dark/light and somewhat dark/light factions but I can't see a narrative reason for some group to exist in those slots. Anyway I kept on getting dark side points because I want revenge on the person who killed my parents and is also wanting to genocide everyone? But it's either that or say "I'm ready to forgive" when there's no rationale for it :confused:

Anyway the narration really made me go "gently caress off" when in the flashback you see your mom get murdered and literally immediately after that moment the narrator is like "This moment will make you stronger, her memory will live on in you" and I'm like, this is not the time for that poo poo lmao

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

But it doesn't help that all their dialogue is filtered through a really cloying Stanley Parablesque narrator who is constantly framing every single action like a Randy Newman song.

Not gonna lie this part sounds awesome

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

i can't get over how good the sonic comic is now (where i'm reading (sonic universe #1))

ahoy senchou

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just requested my refund, was not enjoying the combat even with improved controller controls.

The worst thing about the gibberish-stanley parable thing is that they don't show you the subtitles for the gibberish until after it's played for a while... like they want you to admire their gibberish work like we didn't see Banjo Kazooie do this a thousand years ago. So you skip the gibberish ahead to get the subtitles, then narrator starts reading it.

This game's chosen puzzle gimmick was even-worse Pipe Dreams. Just give us pipe dreams if you're gonna do that, not this awkward knob fiddling crap.

Maybe only 20 people made this game, but they all wanted to make a different game and they ended up just all throwing one major thing into the game that everyone agreed would go in no matter what, as a compromise. Someone threw in Stanley Parable narrator into the pot that already had "comic book sound effect graphics in our audiovisual videogame that has actual sound effects and also graphics for attacks" along with guns, kungpu panda, magic, biomagic, crafting, looting, combat combos, choose-your-team, good-and-evil system, "just tons of rats, but also goofy sloths for levity," post-apocalypse, world tree, a half dozen progression currencies for leveling up for some reason, "let's have a stat that basically gives a minor discount on shop prices even though even tabletop games and RPGs based around em on them still barely utilize it at their best," robot bug pet you can customize, dollar store batman arkham combat, shoulder devil & angel slapstick, old british man saying "lit" excitedly, dead mom spark hunt for the 7 crystals of whatever guarded by the dreaded legendary pokemon, "hi I know I was just hired today but I just think the character should piss on the fast travel points and their piss is like yellow road paint for some reason."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
found review for Attack on Titan Game

Graphics
☐ You forget what reality is
☒ Beautiful
☐ Good
☐ Decent
☐ Bad
☐ Don‘t look too long at it
☐ MS-DOS

Gameplay
☐ Very good
☒ Good
☐ It‘s just gameplay
☐ Mehh
☐ Watch paint dry instead
☐ Just don't

Audio
☐ Eargasm
☐ Very good
☐ Good
☒ Not too bad
☐ Bad
☐ I'm now deaf

Difficulity
☐ Just press 'W'
☐ Easy
☐ Significant brain usage
☒ Easy to learn / Hard to master
☐ Difficult
☐ Dark Souls

Grind
☐ Nothing to grind
☐ Only if u care about leaderboards/ranks
☐ Isnt necessary to progress
☐ Average grind level
☒ Too much grind
☐ You‘ll need a second live for grinding

Story
☐ No Story
☐ Some lore
☐ Average
☐ Good
☒ Lovely
☐ It‘ll replace your life

Game Time
☐ Long enough for a cup of coffee
☐ Short
☐ Average
☒ Long
☐ To infinity and beyond

Price
☐ It’s free!
☐ Worth the price
☒ If it's on sale
☐ If u have some spare money left
☐ Not recommended
☐ You could also just burn your money

Bugs
☒ Never heard of
☐ Minor bugs
☐ Can get annoying
☐ ARK: Survival Evolved
☐ The game itself is a big terrarium for bugs
☐ Cyberpunk 2077

?/10
☐1
☐2
☐3
☐4
☐5
☐6
☐7
☒8
☐9
☐10

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Biomutant just kind of looked like Rule of Cool creep where every idea made it into the final product. I remember wishlisting back when it looked like some Jet Force Gemini-esque action adventure in a miniature world instead of whatever monstrosity it evolved into.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzEemp1SLOM

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please use NWS tags if you're going to post that kind of thing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Doof Culture

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When I posted my FFXIV butterfinger mount in a discord it got automatically filtered for "adult content" lol

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.gamesradar.com/10-strangest-moments-product-placement-gaming-history/

lol

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Jay Rust posted:

had a bunch of promising trailers over the course of the last 4 years & a distinctive enough style

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I thought the story mode in Merkel 2k16 is the best in the series.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Looks like she had a wicked birthday

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I finally finished off Dragon Quest XI S today. On the whole, I really, really enjoyed it. I've posted before about how the game functions as basically the RPG gaming equivalent of being cuddled up with a big mug of tea (or other comfy beverage of your choice). The soundtrack, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, blows. I didn't find out you could swap the Overworld theme to the Dragon Quest 8 Overworld theme until I was almost at the post game but it absolutely saved my sanity.

I feel like the game stumbled at the finish line a bit. I was gushing about the game when the first lot of credits rolled, but it very quickly became clear that the post game had so much story content in it that it didn't feel "optional", it felt like it was presented as a requirement/functionally Act 3 to play through. The problem is I don't think the post game is as interesting as the ending that precedes it, both in terms of character development and gameplay. From a gameplay standpoint the re-use of environments and wholesale quests means the entire thing feels quite dull. "Oh, I get to go back to Dundrasil and save that dude again? With no real changes to the outcome? Oh okay, uh, great." The difficulty bump from Act 2 into the post game, while not necessarily unwelcome, didn't feel particularly smooth - I suspect I missed some quest order signposting because a lot of the stuff I tried to do early on thoroughly kicked my rear end. I ultimately decided to surmount it by using the Hallelujah/Electro-Light trick to just quickly level a bunch, so I don't want to complain too much here - the game absolutely gives you a series of ways to quickly grind your level/cash/crafting materials up should you need them - I just felt like the intended progression through the post game could have been outlined a bit better.

The writing really strains here unfortunately. Because the post game is you going back in time you end up invalidating some of the big character moments for party members . The problem is that they're often not replaced with anything more interesting, or really anything at all. I think Serena really gets the short end of the stick here - her reaction to Veronica's death was one of the most emotionally resonant moments in the game for me, lead to some interesting character growth for her, and in the post game timeline that just....doesn't happen and so she never has the impetus to grow or develop. Ugh. The game also runs afoul of several silent protagonist moments where your character's silence makes him seem like the world's biggest loving idiot as he shuffles gormlessly through easily avoidable situations because he can't have any real agency or just say "Hey, watch out."

It's not all bad. Getting to go back to a rebuilt Cobblestone and marry Gemma was cute, and while I have my complaints about how the ramped up difficulty was sort of just... dropped in there, it was fun piecing together various character abilities to take down bosses in a way I hadn't really had to engage with during the base game. I did have to laugh at the final true boss being basically what if Perfect Cell but he has a giant dumb baby head. Toriyama really has his stock character types that he likes drawing again and again and again and again and loving again, huh?

Overall, I still think the game is really great, but the negative aspects of the post game drop it down to just "really great" for me when I think if the game had ended at the first round of credits I would have said it was one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What is the size scale in Biomutant? It looks like character creation makes the character look tiny next to grass and small stones, but then you start exploring abandoned brick buildings? You use a toothbrush as a club but also there are lightbulbs that are “normal” sized and not massive?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Come play Knockout City y'all it's really fun!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I keep overestimating how many zombies I need to lead to clear out a camp in Days Gone.

Hmm, a dozen guys armed to the teeth with grenades and assault rifles and bear traps and trip wires. I"ll lead....three zombies to them? Maybe that will cause enough chaos for me to pick some off?

*Three zombies overrun everything completely, kill everyone, and the noise causes like ten more to come*

Well, my work here is done. Area """"cleared"""".

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

exquisite tea posted:

Come play Knockout City y'all it's really fun!!

I only play the knockout game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I only play the knockout game

Lots of avatar changes.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

VideoGames posted:

Lots of avatar changes.

Dr Doom was the only one I did myself, on purpose, and it ended up looking like poo poo but the other 2 were out of my control. Now I'm Ramba Ral and here to party.

e:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Dr Doom was the only one I did myself, on purpose, and it ended up looking like poo poo but the other 2 were out of my control. Now I'm Ramba Ral and here to party.

e:

I liked the Dr. Doom one. Those MvC avatars look pretty swift.

Well you have inspired me to pick a new Kirbatar! Not sure which one to use this time, but I have a whole evening to figure it out :)

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Give this bad boy a big yeehaw

https://twitter.com/TheMeganStar/status/1395820292786712577?s=19

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

It needs to be the cursed wario kirby from a few pages back but gently caress me if I can find it now.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Walla posted:

It needs to be the cursed wario kirby from a few pages back but gently caress me if I can find it now.

You know someone is going to go find it now.

:negative:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

You know someone is going to go find it now.

:negative:

If only someone knew how to hit the question mark to see all my posts ITT..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vigilo Consolo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

I'm not one of those freaks that remembers posts people make to whip it back out as some sort of own later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's the one! Thanks!