Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
One or another of the early milestones hands you ten nav data too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I did milestone one, didn't get nav data for that one I think. Now I'm stuck to finish milestone two, as I can't seem to find a lifeform to save :/

Where do I find nav data on planets?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Many structures on planets will have a flagpole-looking structure next to them. It acts as a save-point, and if you're the first person to interact with it (which is likely, planets are big) it will give you 1 nav data.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

MrGreenShirt posted:

Many structures on planets will have a flagpole-looking structure next to them. It acts as a save-point, and if you're the first person to interact with it (which is likely, planets are big) it will give you 1 nav data.

I don't think it's even first person, just the first time you do it. Also if you learn travel related words like "find" or "where" and practice it in dialect with aliens they'll often give you either nav data or maps. Telling a map kiosk dude you need help sometimes gives you a nav data as well.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
There's also always little interactibles in bases and structures that look like glowing rubik's cubes or polyhedral dice that will give you either nav data or a handful of nanites when you mess with them.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

AirRaid posted:

You can build a base big enough to encase a Portal right? there's only one of those per system...

Portals have some specific logic around them to ensure a player can't encase it in a structure, even if thst structure is large. Basically it's fine for the player that built it, but for anyone else it won't load any structure objects at all.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Meanwhile there's absolutely no logic check for "is there a base here? Maybe the ground shouldn't be" so you'll find a ton of bases built on flattened land that are fully inaccessible to anyone but the original builder if they didn't give full edit privileges to everyone.
Also I wish you could set a per base editability rule. Like go hog wild digging around this random farm and portal I made, but no I don't want people loving up my freighter.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, someone shoved a base next to a crashed freighter which was great for locating it for the expedition but the lack of terrain edits meant I couldn't get half the boxes.

Not like you need the boxes to finish the phase, but still.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

it'd be nice if the game remembered terrain edits in your bases at all tbh, sick of having a basement full of dirt

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

it'd be nice if the game remembered terrain edits in your bases at all tbh, sick of having a basement full of dirt

Dig down, build a room with a teleporter, and then restore the terrain. Now you have a basement and can continue to build rooms underground.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Natsuumi posted:

Dig down, build a room with a teleporter, and then restore the terrain. Now you have a basement and can continue to build rooms underground.

At least with other people's bases with stuff like the teleporter or ladder trick it's unreliable and while the game won't fill the blocks up if you're past a certain line, it will sometimes freak out, think you've fallen out of bounds and teleport you back to the surface roughly above where you were.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I randomly installed this again after trying it about a year and a half ago and finding it a bit too clunky and resource management intensive. I was pretty frustrated with my ship constantly being out of 1 of 3 types of fuel and feeling like I had almost no inventory space. This time I gave the expedition a shot and had a blast! I don't know if it was the way it gives you a bunch of inventory space and good items (and a freighter!) right off the bat, the way it's a little more narrowly focused and keeps giving you rewards, or just seeing all the people and their bases working along the same path, but it was a lot of fun. While searching for uncharted systems I stumbled across this really cool planet with round rocks and bubbles everywhere, and then I found the local lifeforms:

https://i.imgur.com/arGIqDR.mp4
and THEN the sun rose:

https://i.imgur.com/ifkpoBs.mp4
I'm sure you've all seen something like that before but I thought it was really cool. Anyways I'll definitely be giving the next expedition a try.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I have been through twenty five distress star charts and haven't seen a single stranded lifeform rescue mission yet. How bad is my luck?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

5er posted:

I have been through twenty five distress star charts and haven't seen a single stranded lifeform rescue mission yet. How bad is my luck?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bug. See upthread the advice to do the Nexus mission (wait a while if it's not offered as a mission)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Devor posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a bug. See upthread the advice to do the Nexus mission (wait a while if it's not offered as a mission)

Oh gently caress brilliant, I'll go see if that's an option.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Spoke too loving soon it appears.

The mission in question is at the Nexus, great! I start it, head out, meet the stranded guy, then start rooting about for the modules I'm supposed to unearth with the terrain manipulator.

Until the last module left is apparently stuck inside of a large noclip structure that can't be tunneled into or destroyed.

Well played, hello games, you loving filthy pieces of poo poo.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I just want ship customization/trading and melee weapons of some kind

let me be a jedi

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Why is it I never had a problem finding a stranded pilot before yet when I try to find one for the expedition I blow all my nav data on planetary charts and can’t find a single one? That’s NMS I guess!

Time to try the Nexus

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Check portals in space stations esp around the rendezvous systems; some kind souls have uploaded bases near either crashed ships or stranded pilots or freighters depending on which one you need

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I ended up having to get the stranded pilot job from the nexus too. Took a few refreshes to get one, then that and the mission itself took more than a few minutes but it was better than hoping the RNG cooperated.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

5er posted:

Until the last module left is apparently stuck inside of a large noclip structure that can't be tunneled into or destroyed.
If it's buried tech module you need to unearth, they're not quest specific and you can find and use different one.

Same thing happened to me, first buried module next to stranded ship was behind an indestructible rock, so I just looked around and dug up another one and it worked.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 26, 2021

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok since I'm a noob starting this game with Expeditions, I need to ask. What's the Nexus?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Furism posted:

Ok since I'm a noob starting this game with Expeditions, I need to ask. What's the Nexus?

When you're in your spaceship in space if you bring up the menu for misc stuff like recharging gear or summoning your freighter there's a "summon anomaly" option. When you enter the anomaly there's a big holographic square surrounding a robot orb, that orb is the nexus and offers multiplayer missions like the ones the agent gives in a regular space station. You don't have to be in a group to do them, but they're built with the assumption you have a group, so might drag a little solo.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I completed the Living Ship mission, didn't want to swap my existing ship, went to go get one, came back, the living ship was replaced by a standard crashed ship, even though the living ship marker was still there :smith:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I completed the Living Ship mission, didn't want to swap my existing ship, went to go get one, came back, the living ship was replaced by a standard crashed ship, even though the living ship marker was still there :smith:

All living ship crash sites are normal ship crash sites with a "you're on the living ship quest" overlay, which is how people can pick and choose what living ship they want based off someone else's. Relogging Saving and reloading generally kicks it back into "oh right you're on the living ship quest" mode

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

5er posted:

Have you visited them or hoped to see 'stranded lifeform' because the star chart will only say 'distress signal' as opposed to 'abandoned building'

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Coolness Averted posted:

When you're in your spaceship in space if you bring up the menu for misc stuff like recharging gear or summoning your freighter there's a "summon anomaly" option. When you enter the anomaly there's a big holographic square surrounding a robot orb, that orb is the nexus and offers multiplayer missions like the ones the agent gives in a regular space station. You don't have to be in a group to do them, but they're built with the assumption you have a group, so might drag a little solo.

That's what I thought, but never dared to summon "the Anomaly." Thanks!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Furism posted:

That's what I thought, but never dared to summon "the Anomaly." Thanks!

yeah that's like the main mission hub for quicksliver (cosmetics purchases), the place you get addons for ships/exocraft/exosuit/multitool/building blueprints, yrade discovery for nanites etc.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Elite Dangerous needs to "borrow" the alien procgen system from NMS, those balloon aliens are amazing.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Incidentally, I found a thread on Reddit talking about upgrading their ship's speed. The Launch Thrusters boost stat affects your ship's boost when flying. I thought it was just to make you take off faster or something. Also, this is not indicated in the game whatsoever, but the figurines you can get give various bonuses and apparently the ship trails can make you faster. The thread I found the person had managed to get their ship to go something like 64000 u/s. I added several pulse drive and launch thrusters to mine, plus 3 or 4 trails that I got free from the Twitch rewards or expedition rewards, plus a Polo figurine and Artemis figurine and I managed to get 42000 u/s in boost in space. Oh, also I used a save editor to get the Photonix Core which was apparently a preorder bonus for the PS4 version at launch. Apparently it makes a big difference but I haven't tried it without it yet.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

So I just had a weird bug where my first expedition-now normal save converted itself into a second expedition save, and filled my exosuit, tool, and ship with extra duplicate modules :confused:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
More critters please! Here are two I found.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

More critters please! Here are two I found.

Here you go.

Arseface

Buskshitter

Fingers

Tusker

Troggy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

More critters please!

I made friends with this weird dog

I think a wizard bought a plush toy to life

pretty sure I saw this on Star Trek once

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
After spending like 10 Nav Data on Emergency Planetary Charts I finally was able to recover a spaceship. One step closer to that milestone! It was much easier once I figured out that if you plot the waypoint while on the ground it'll find a spot on the planet you're on - if you do it in space it seems to put the spot on a random (but close-by) planet? So I picked a nice, super tempered and calm planet and just daisy chained there.

All I have left for the second milestone is to help a stranded life-form. People in the thread said that the best option for this is to do a Nexus mission? Is there any specific mission name I should look for?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Names vary, but the description of the nexus mission will be "Rescue Stranded Lifeform."

According to the wiki, names of the mission can be:
An Old Distress
Friends Adrift
Dangerous Associations
Anonymous Assistance
Foe of my Foe

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Welp the living ship just disappeared and I got the banner title for completing the quest so I guess I wasted a lot of time and resources. :smith:

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Welp the living ship just disappeared and I got the banner title for completing the quest so I guess I wasted a lot of time and resources. :smith:

Go ahead and save editor you one if it seems like the quest is bugged beyond your control.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Go ahead and save editor you one if it seems like the quest is bugged beyond your control.

I don't really need a living ship, it just makes playing the game feel more pointless than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you're not at ship capacity it may have snuck onboard your freighter.