Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

generic one posted:

In the continuing trend of ICE being curtailed, they had the lowest number of deportations on record last month. I think I remember seeing something about this toward the beginning of May, but there are some pretty decent anecdotes in this article from WaPo.

Some excerpts:

Get ready to break out the worlds smallest violin for these two:

Next bit, about public approval (spoiler alert, it’s not great):

This was always going to be the correct way to deal with ICE, short of transferring them all to a stamp licking outpost in Alaska.

If they had just come in and abolished ICE on day 1 they'd give a bunch of delusional nobodies a cause célèbre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I apologize for not adequately respecting Bernie Sanders by using a normal idiom. Please forgive me
Honestly, it creeps me out not because of respecting Bernie Sanders. It's just that using language of submission, comparing a man to a trained dog is kind of weird. So is when people talk about bending the knee or talk about bootlicking or blowjobs with an obvious submission connotation*. You're not the first person to do that, but people should be mindful of their mental models. If you're advocating for some level of a more democratic society like most people here are to various degrees, it's worth considering when you interpret interpersonal relationships in terms of dominance and submission.

*yeah it was weird when people were very focused on Trump blowing Putin

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

generic one posted:

In the continuing trend of ICE being curtailed, they had the lowest number of deportations on record last month. I think I remember seeing something about this toward the beginning of May, but there are some pretty decent anecdotes in this article from WaPo.

The most surprising part of that article to me is that ICE has lower approval than the IRS, whose low public approval has been a joke literally as far back as I can remember. You'd think more white people would approve of ICE than of the IRS.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rea posted:

The most surprising part of that article to me is that ICE has lower approval than the IRS, whose low public approval has been a joke literally as far back as I can remember. You'd think more white people would approve of ICE than of the IRS.

my expectation is that a lot of racists disapprove of ICE because they see non-white people far too often, so ICE must be doing a bad job at the racism

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FizFashizzle posted:

This was always going to be the correct way to deal with ICE, short of transferring them all to a stamp licking outpost in Alaska.

If they had just come in and abolished ICE on day 1 they'd give a bunch of delusional nobodies a cause célèbre.

The correct way to do it was to do this, but not delay implementation of some of the changes because you were worried about looking like you were allowing people to flood across the border during the surge in immigration.

Some of the delay was due to reduced capacity from the Trump administration + the larger amount of crossings, but there were a lot of documented reports that they were slow-rolling some changes to avoid scandals like sending kids to the wrong place (reasonable) and to avoid political attacks about letting people surge across the border (not reasonable).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, 19 months.
Seems like an easy job. Do they get paid even when adjourned?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Counting per diems, which they only get in session, they make $45k every biennium. It is not their main source of income.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

evilweasel posted:

my expectation is that a lot of racists disapprove of ICE because they see non-white people far too often, so ICE must be doing a bad job at the racism

This is the most recent I could find, and Trump was president, but it has both parties approve of most agencies and ICE is low because Democrats hate it. Not what I would have guessed, but maybe it's changed with Biden? At least DOJ probably flipped.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm just glad they're effectively handcuffing them at a minimum because with the way Trump freed them to just be a mask fully off gestapo squad that was actively and openly torturing people, there's no "reforming" that or putting that genie back in the bottle. You need to burn it all down and if the agency exists in name going forward with a different mission, it would have to do so with all new staff.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Dianne4NYC/status/1397545167587057670

Love to roll out the argot of academia to say nothing and obfuscate what happened. Does anyone know what this is about?

https://www.politico.com/states/new...ion-day-1384036

quote:

Dianne Morales has positioned herself as the progressive champion in a crowded field of mayoral candidates. Now that reputation is being threatened by a staff shakeup over accusations of mistreatment, inadequate pay and lack of unionization and health care.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly, it creeps me out not because of respecting Bernie Sanders. It's just that using language of submission, comparing a man to a trained dog is kind of weird. So is when people talk about bending the knee or talk about bootlicking or blowjobs with an obvious submission connotation*. You're not the first person to do that, but people should be mindful of their mental models. If you're advocating for some level of a more democratic society like most people here are to various degrees, it's worth considering when you interpret interpersonal relationships in terms of dominance and submission.

*yeah it was weird when people were very focused on Trump blowing Putin

Politics is about dominance and submission, though. The problem with "lol Trump and Putin are gay together and also Trump is the bottom" isn't that it espouses politics of dominance, it's that it uses homophobia to do so

Kalit posted:

I'm sorry, I should have clarified my post better and asked you to clarify what you meant by "he's obviously housebroken". I had interpreted you saying this as essentially claiming that he sold out to the Democratic establishment [since throwing his support behind Biden]. If this was not your intention, I apologize.

My point is he's still the same senator as he has always been, outside of trying to get more name recognition while running for President in 2016/2020.

I don't really dispute he's the same senator he's always been but I don't really consider that a compliment. As a candidate his expressed stances were fundamentally adversarial to establishment power, and he has more or less dropped that. The one time he's crossed the administration publicly(the minimum wage vote) he got clowned. Maybe he will be able to use his new chairmanship to nibble around the edges and try to slip good provisions into bills here and there, as he has always done as a senator, but he is never going to affect any of the actual systemic changes he once declared were urgent necessities

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
He literally just blocked Biden's State Dept. appointments to force him to send aid to Gaza.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

As a candidate his expressed stances were fundamentally adversarial to establishment power, and he has more or less dropped that.
What stances in particular are you thinking about here?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Politics is about dominance and submission, though.

It can be - and we see where that has left us over the last 12 years. It doesn't have to be.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
^ Word ^

Politics is about dominance and submission, though. The problem with "lol Trump and Putin are gay together and also Trump is the bottom" isn't that it espouses politics of dominance, it's that it uses homophobia to do so
Do you mean current politics or that politics is inherently about dominance and submission?

Also, you should investigate the homophobia piece a bit more. The Trump has sex with Putin stuff is not "Ew Trump is gay" in a vacuum. It's an attempt to weaken his strongman persona by implying that he is submissive to a foreign power.

EDIT: You can't separate homophobia from someone inherently working with dominance/submission mental models. That's what fundamentally is at the root of homophobia.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Re: Dianne Morales, if you want to believe a guy who writes for the Guardian and Jacobin covering NY politics who wrote this piece three days ago, and a White House correspondent for Yahoo News who has a substack newsletter and used to cover NYC politics (they're both from Brooklyn), there are some more details.
https://twitter.com/RossBarkan/status/1397361483353411589
https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1397519214525747205
so...not the best sourcing, but it's what everyone (including other reporters, natch) is quoting on social media for now.

Of note, we've got movement from the story being "people are mad about money" to "people are mad about more than money" to a campaign statement that acknowledges people are mad, but is definitely written to imply that people are mad about something other than money.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 26, 2021

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just got word that a number of people were shot to death at a light rail maintenance facilty in San Jose. Reset the clock.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Tayter Swift posted:

Just got word that a number of people were shot to death at a light rail maintenance facilty in San Jose. Reset the clock.

Shooter dead, multiple fatalities per several news outlets

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Bernie doesn't get any vitriol anymore outside of khive freaks but it's because he's obviously housebroken and no threat to anybody in power, and trashing him is a waste of time and money
In the same post claiming that Bernie doesn't get vitriol anymore, Bernie gets vitriol.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Gadfly posted:

We have an ACH network that could direct deposit checks into Americans bank accounts. Why can’t that be used?

While I think this is a good idea that should be done, around 7 million US households don't have any bank accounts.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

koolkal posted:

He literally just blocked Biden's State Dept. appointments to force him to send aid to Gaza.

lol it was $5 million that's almost certainly going to get paid out to Fatah and still let the State Department do an end run on Congress to get Israel more bombs to blow up Palestine with. What a heroic stand

zoux posted:

It can be - and we see where that has left us over the last 12 years. It doesn't have to be.

Timeless Appeal posted:

^ Word ^
Do you mean current politics or that politics is inherently about dominance and submission?

Also, you should investigate the homophobia piece a bit more. The Trump has sex with Putin stuff is not "Ew Trump is gay" in a vacuum. It's an attempt to weaken his strongman persona by implying that he is submissive to a foreign power.

EDIT: You can't separate homophobia from someone inherently working with dominance/submission mental models. That's what fundamentally is at the root of homophobia.

Okay I think this is the point where I tap out for the day. Our understandings of politics are so different that I don't really know what to say to this other than I do not think either of your conceptions appear rooted in any kind of material reality at all

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Shooter dead, multiple fatalities per several news outlets
Wonder what caused this one?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grouchio posted:

probably some toxic masculine bullshit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

goethe.cx posted:

I don't understand Democrats who don't want to legalize weed at this point. It's extremely popular! Ballot initiatives have passed in red states!

A lot of them still believe in Tough On Crime policies, also they like convenient ways to give people they don't like criminal records that deny them the right to vote

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

VitalSigns posted:

A lot of them still believe in Tough On Crime policies, also they like convenient ways to give people they don't like criminal records that deny them the right to vote

yep. its a mix of that, broken windows policing and also a TON of boomers of all political stripes believe in gateway drug bullshit still.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 26, 2021

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Grouchio posted:

Obviously not enough guns.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

I don't really dispute he's the same senator he's always been but I don't really consider that a compliment. As a candidate his expressed stances were fundamentally adversarial to establishment power, and he has more or less dropped that. The one time he's crossed the administration publicly(the minimum wage vote) he got clowned. Maybe he will be able to use his new chairmanship to nibble around the edges and try to slip good provisions into bills here and there, as he has always done as a senator, but he is never going to affect any of the actual systemic changes he once declared were urgent necessities

What policy related stances has he vocally expressed as a candidate, that he didn't continue to vocally support before or after he was a candidate? What stances has he expressed in a vote as a candidate, that he didn't continue to vote before or after as a candidate? He seems pretty much the same now, just less vocal about criticizing Biden because he's not running against him.

Also, he's "crossed" the Democratic Party publicly multiple times before in his past (e.g. Iraq in 2003). If you're talking about the one time he's "crossed" the Biden administration specifically publicly, I mean, there hasn't been much opportunity yet and he has more of a role at the table than he would have in the past.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 26, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

One of liberals' biggest problems is that they are overfocused on the executive and get starry-eyed about certain politicians. This is not limited to Bernie, it happened with Obama, Beto, Kamala, Liz Warren, even loving Hillary Clinton. Once those who are left of center start to realize that you build power from the bottom up and the middle out, not from the top down, we might start making progress in midterm elections and avoid this absurd rollercoaster of liberals turning out in droves to vote for president and staying home for legislative elections. We are in the situation we are in right now because all the hyped up people from 2008 didn't show up in 2010 and basically we've been in hell ever since.

Just look at how republicans conquered the entire country in 30 years through state legislatures and judicial appointments. Because they move in lockstep, they have enormous control over the lives of half of all Americans and used that power to put their thumbs on the scale twice this century to subvert presidential elections, even if it didn't work in 2020.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grouchio posted:

Not enough funding for police of course

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Obviously not enough guns.

Texas legalized all guns for everyone and it didn't happen there so theory checks out

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Just look at how republicans conquered the entire country in 30 years through state legislatures and judicial appointments. Because they move in lockstep, they have enormous control over the lives of half of all Americans and used that power to put their thumbs on the scale twice this century to subvert presidential elections, even if it didn't work in 2020.
they don't really move in lockstep, it's that their chosen agenda is also advanced by terrible, gross people being terrible and gross and they're more than willing to let them in the tent.
if you want to ruin a party and all you have to do is open the door for the binge drinking uncle that hits on all the underage girls you're not a master technician for turning that handle.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It is also a lot easier to break things than build things, especially when you don't plan to replace what you broke.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

they don't really move in lockstep, it's that their chosen agenda is also advanced by terrible, gross people being terrible and gross and they're more than willing to let them in the tent.
if you want to ruin a party and all you have to do is open the door for the binge drinking uncle that hits on all the underage girls you're not a master technician for turning that handle.

they do move in lockstep when it comes to expanding corporate power, dismantling democracy, taking over the courts etc.

There's big public spectacles where they call each other RINOs or some of the old guard act all offended that Trump said the quiet part out loud or whatever, but every single one of those guys was 100% on board with sneaky voter suppression poo poo like purging people from voter rolls for a spelling error or for not voting in enough elections or implementing voter ID then closing all the DMVs where poor and/or black people live etc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would be willing to bet that this shooting in CA today is workplace related

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

VitalSigns posted:

they do move in lockstep when it comes to expanding corporate power, dismantling democracy, taking over the courts etc.

There's big public spectacles where they call each other RINOs or some of the old guard act all offended that Trump said the quiet part out loud or whatever, but every single one of those guys was 100% on board with sneaky voter suppression poo poo like purging people from voter rolls for a spelling error or for not voting in enough elections or implementing voter ID then closing all the DMVs where poor and/or black people live etc
right but i'm saying it's not a strategy for some of them, it's just what they think should be done because they're true believers, lovely people, and all the people for whom that IS a strategy had to do was let the true believers in.
johnny lovestosmash and the bull he let into the china shop aren't really allies.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
At least 8 dead in San Jose, including shooter.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
There's also the decades and decades where the GOP was slavishly devoted to giving billionaires more billions and megacorporations less regulations, to the point where there was an entire media ecosphere to give them more billions and less regulations. Propaganda works and the GOP has manufacturing it down to a science at this point.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

VitalSigns posted:

Exactly. Just look at Liz Cheney for the most recent example of this. She loses her leadership role and gets castigated as a RINO for speaking out against Trump's lies. She also comes out in complete support of the "election security" laws Republican states are passing rooted in those very lies.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seemingly every white boomer man believes government is always bad and can never help, that taxes are always bad and should be zero, that unions are bad and should be destroyed, that all regulation is bad and should be undone, and that the federal government should have zero control over schools, roads, workplaces, or consumer products. It's like they have these talking points posted deep in their brains and they don't even have to think to recall or use them. I want to say that racism was the keep the getting them in there, but it's weird because the conservative media machine didn't really take shape until the 90s, long after their brains had crystalized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/Mass-shooting-in-San-Jose-What-we-know-so-far-16204689.php

Looks like this was another disgruntled employee mass shooting