Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

OtspIII posted:

This is almost certainly what was happening, thanks!

I think the number one thing I want out of Rift Wizard at this point is a way to filter spells/perks by type. Looking for synergies is pretty brutal, and I'm increasingly realizing is a solid 80% of what separates winning from losing
Push the letter in the type column, like F for Fire. You can chain too. Like C for conjuration (summons mostly) then F for conjuration+fire, etc.

Should be a big filter menu to the right of the spell learning.

If you want types like nukes and debuffs then yeah... that'd be nice too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rift wizard is very overwhelming but i like looking at all the cool spells and skills to theorycraft dumb poo poo to do

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
My recent big learning is holding 'alt' when looking at entering the next realm or even moving in some instances. It shows you all tiles that are able to be attacked by enemies and can be a huge boon when deciding where to enter a level.

I'm still new enough that I don't know what 'works' in most situations yet, but I'm really enjoying choosing my first spell based on what the first set of portals has on offer (i.e. if there's a lightning circle in one of the first realms, I choose lightning as my first spell).

I'm more consistently now making it to realm 10+ and have now had a couple of builds get into the high teens. My current build is kicking a lot of rear end and is currently realm 12 so fingers crossed it's able to keep going.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
basically my approach is to pick two elements and experiment, that way you're looking for the specific synergy that overlaps between two specializations instead of trying to grapple with the entire spell list and getting overwhelmed

i've tried both running with whatever elements the game gives shrines for and forcing a build and to the game's credit both approaches work quite well. you just have to be flexible about the order of your build in the latter case -- floating a few skill points and filling in a bunch of cheap upgrades at a shrine is far more efficient than discounting a big upgrade by a single point, so you might as well buy those big upgrades after a Ruby Heart level and only "lose" a single point

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know much about how to synergize builds yet but but Death Shock is great - split dark/lightning damage and if it kills the target is cascades to another within 4 tiles, up to 3 times. You can upgrade it to remove the cascade limit and to double the cascade range. The damage is high enough that through a lot of the early game it will one-shot most enemies, so if a room is packed enough with enemies that aren't immune to lightning/dark you can sometimes wipe out the entire room with a single Death Shock.

Upgraded Death Shock + Magic Missile is enough to handle the first ~10 floors on their own a lot of the time which gives you a lot of breathing room to save SP and build around shrines.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know much about how to synergize builds yet but but Death Shock is great - split dark/lightning damage and if it kills the target is cascades to another within 4 tiles, up to 3 times. You can upgrade it to remove the cascade limit and to double the cascade range. The damage is high enough that through a lot of the early game it will one-shot most enemies, so if a room is packed enough with enemies that aren't immune to lightning/dark you can sometimes wipe out the entire room with a single Death Shock.

Upgraded Death Shock + Magic Missile is enough to handle the first ~10 floors on their own a lot of the time which gives you a lot of breathing room to save SP and build around shrines.

the game's progression is incredibly clever in this respect:

you've got about 5-10 levels (depending on the raw strength of your chosen element[s]) where playing "normally" is actually stronger and more reliable than trying to build a combo without the SP to support it

then another 5-10 levels where you need to start developing synergies but you're still engaging with positioning and the tactical layer a lot rather than an explosive win condition

then the last few levels (20-24 or so) are just brutally unfair to the point where wiping them out with some non-interactive bullshit just feels like fair play, plus this stage of the game is usually quite short so you don't have time to get bored

and then the final boss is a radically different challenge than anything else in the game and requires you to put some extra thought into how to make sure your degenerate combo stays relevant

there's still a little hint of the traditional roguelike inverted difficulty curve at work but it's smooth and intentional rather than the game simply giving no thought to what happens if the player actually optimizes their approach. it's a game that's unabashedly designed for mastery and i love it for that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's fun to get a skill like storm caller and just have waves of bullshit start spawning all over half the map from a single cast of lightning bolt or whatever. like maybe it might not be the most EFFECTIVE thing at that moment but the game does a good job of making it apparent you're pulling off some wild poo poo. unlike, say, tome4, where everything just kinda bleeds together into a smear. the readability is a huge positive in rift wizard.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man this game really is a wild mix of "Oh wow my spells can do THAT? drat this is great I'm immortal!" and "Oh that's what that enemy does? He...counters my entire kit"

It's a blast so far

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Unexplored 2 is pretty and charming, but I've not got very far into it yet. Hoping one of the characters you can unlock has a spear, the loading screen tips make them sound fun. So far the only additional class I've unlocked uses a bow and clubs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
StarCrawlers Chimera has a Kickstarter up

also a playable demo on steam

highlights: select 7 out of 25 skill trees for your character, the lowest difficulty is called "2020 mode", it's turn-based grid-based combat, it's pretty sick so far tbh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I should try that demo, I ended up bounching off og starcrawlers hard but this does look intersting.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

highlights: select 7 out of 25 skill trees for your character, the lowest difficulty is called "2020 mode", it's turn-based grid-based combat, it's pretty sick so far tbh

Man there really aren't enough cyberpunk games out there. Gonna check this out.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's fun to get a skill like storm caller and just have waves of bullshit start spawning all over half the map from a single cast of lightning bolt or whatever. like maybe it might not be the most EFFECTIVE thing at that moment but the game does a good job of making it apparent you're pulling off some wild poo poo. unlike, say, tome4, where everything just kinda bleeds together into a smear. the readability is a huge positive in rift wizard.

i played rift wizard for the first time this morning and in about 6 tries i was able to beat the game literally just using the level 1 Lightning bolt spell and that one holy spell that heals you because for some reason one of the lightning skills causes random enemies on the map to go berserk whenever you do basically anything. i would just teleport into the safest corner on the map, hit one enemy with lightning bolt and watch as a riot started and all the enemies broke their own spawners and then killed themselves.

then i got to the last boss and melted him because it also did 100+ damage per shot in 3 different damage types and could fire up to 10 times per cast, and also stunned and left DOT storm clouds

this is a level 1 spell, you can start the game with this and have it at approaching maximum power by like the 8th floor, leaving you with 15 floors worth of points to dump into the spell that full heals on cast while also stunning and damaging most of the enemies on the entire map, and also is a lightning/holy spell for some reason so it benefits from all the skills you already took for the Riot Beam. then all you have to do is pick floors that have mana potions and ruby hearts because every mana potion now also comes with 6 full heals so no other item is at all relevant

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Meanwhile I haven't made it past level six or seven yet, I think I'm spreading my SP too thin but I have no real clue

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I feel like y’all would appreciate this article on the level generator: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DylanWhite/20200918/370397/Generating_Cool_Levels_for_Rift_Wizard.php

(Or at least what it was in 2020)

Definitely not a process which ever would have occurred to me, and some parts seem like they are in there mostly for fun, but cool to learn about!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

you were right, that's really cool

i like that the mutator concept gives the dev carte blanche to write silly algorithms in the name of randomness. never expected to see Conway's used for the task, that's for sure

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I'm guessing the infinite arcane combo is Glittering Dance + Devour Mind to recharge Teleport, then Arcane Accounting + Teleport to recharge your non-arcane spells, rinse and repeat as long as you have valid Devour Mind targets and a strong non-Arcane nuke to recharge?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Did anyone like the first Starcralwers? Despite it looking very snazzy in demos and gfx the actual gameplay was super grindy and shallow and put me off after only a few hours.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 26, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i liked a lot of ideas it had and it was fun how you could just directly call up all the corps but actually playing it wasn't great yeahhhh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i actually played all the way through starcrawlers and i hope the devs learned how to improve the things that were not fun about it, because the core of a great game was there

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I submitted this as feedback but this is a really awkward game to play. Freelook doesn't have limits so if you scroll far enough you start wrapping around. Strafing is based on true-north orientation instead of where you're facing, so if you're facing south and strafe "left", you'll move to your right instead. There's a bunch of other UX stuff like this that really prevents me from getting into the game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Died on floor 24 of Rift Wizard because I accidentally clicked a portal instead of the health potion in a nearby tile :negative: Entered the floor with no healing and 15 health.

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 26, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

Died on floor 24 of Rift Wizard because I accidentally clicked a portal instead of the health potion in a nearby tile :negative: Entered the floor with no healing and 15 health.

you can hit esc after clicking a portal but before choosing a destination to bail out

I'm looking through the spell list for Lightning and not seeing any particularly interesting combos - but then I've never been too good at hunting that sort of thing in games

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 26, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SKULL.GIF posted:

I submitted this as feedback but this is a really awkward game to play. Freelook doesn't have limits so if you scroll far enough you start wrapping around. Strafing is based on true-north orientation instead of where you're facing, so if you're facing south and strafe "left", you'll move to your right instead. There's a bunch of other UX stuff like this that really prevents me from getting into the game.
I absolutely agree. Also inventory management is trash, equipping weapons being a free action really rewards micromanagement in awful ways... well, suffice it to say that I liked the demo a lot, enough to post it in the thread, but also, it's an awkward play experience right now and I'm hoping they fix it!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

I'm guessing the infinite arcane combo is Glittering Dance + Devour Mind to recharge Teleport, then Arcane Accounting + Teleport to recharge your non-arcane spells, rinse and repeat as long as you have valid Devour Mind targets and a strong non-Arcane nuke to recharge?

I just used Magic Missile, it doesn't matter whether you can actually go "infinite" or not, and more importantly Devour Mind requires a target (not just a living target, even, you literally can't cast it at nothing) and Magic Missile doesn't.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i'm finding myself very annoyed by rift wizard's enemy design now. The riot beam worked really well because as far as I can tell nothing is resistant to both holy and lightning and berserk works on seemingly every enemy and because it has multiple damage instances it blows straight through shields. Any other build I try ends up with me fighting enemies that have 100% resistance to all of my damage types and being completely unable to harm them, or if I diversify then my spells aren't actually powerful enough to keep up. Like there's a fairly simple Dark/Arcane build that lets you clear entire maps in 2 casts with a spell that deals hundreds of damage and cascades infinitely with an 8 tile range and spawns minions whenever it kills something, but which gets completely shutdown by the loads of enemies which are totally immune to Dark or anything that has multiple shields. You can cherry-pick the floors you travel to so that they don't contain enemies like that but eventually you end up running into a level where all your choices are bad and then you just lose.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

fire / ice builds (e.g. my first win) work for similar reasons but i'm pretty sure the intended experience is actually the one where you sometimes have to deal with enemies that are immune to your primary combo

i hit dungeon 24 with a lightning spells only build (e.g. i had the lightning spells that also do dark and fire damage but that was it in terms of splash elements) and only died because i was badly sleep deprived and entered the wrong rift by mistake, so it's definitely possible, you just have to slow down and play tactically instead of coasting on combo power

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

cock hero flux posted:

i played rift wizard for the first time this morning and in about 6 tries i was able to beat the game literally just using the level 1 Lightning bolt spell and that one holy spell that heals you because for some reason one of the lightning skills causes random enemies on the map to go berserk whenever you do basically anything. i would just teleport into the safest corner on the map, hit one enemy with lightning bolt and watch as a riot started and all the enemies broke their own spawners and then killed themselves.

Oh wow, you weren't joking--I tried this build out and hit 20 for the first time.

One thing I didn't realize immediately was that the 'these attacks also do element X and element Y' upgrades are actually damage multipliers instead of just ways to get around resistances. That changes how I look at the basic attacks a lot.

Also, learning that I could filter spells and skills has made this game so much easier to read. I can't believe I didn't realize I could do that before

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A way to see what spell upgrades do without having to learn the spell would be nice

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Rift wizard needs a food clock real bad imo, I just spent like 500 turns waiting for troublers to blink into range of me.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Looks like someone isn't getting a high score :smaug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

remember, don't shoot food

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Does anyone know if Deep Sky Derelicts is any good? It is 75% off right now.

Also could someone weigh in about the DLC?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Yay, my first win in Rift Wizard. Was a pretty broken build focused on Lightning / Holy damage with Heaven's Wrath nuking half the level on 2 casts, and chain/arc lightning finishing off the rest. Killed Mordred with tons of consumables still sitting in my inventory

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 27, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Helical Nightmares posted:

It's aggressively adequate. 75% off is the right price.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PotatoManJack posted:

Yay, my first win in Rift Wizard. Was a pretty broken build focused on Lightning / Holy damage with Heaven's Wrath nuking half the level on 2 casts, and chain/arc lightning finishing off the rest. Killed Mordred with tons of consumables still sitting in my inventory

grats. can i ask how you spent your SP along the way?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nrook posted:

Rift wizard needs a food clock real bad imo, I just spent like 500 turns waiting for troublers to blink into range of me.
I avoid every rift with troublers no matter what, they're easily in the unfun territory for me.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Deep Sky Derelicts is sort of a weird hybrid between darkest dungeon and card quest (that's not exact but it's the best way I can think of to link it to other games). You have a party that's consistent between adventures, but combat is card based and most cards are based on your parties current equipment. I've never gotten super into it but also keep going back every so often, it does what it sets out to do and I don't regret the money I spent. I don't know that I've ever not had the DLC though so I can't weigh in on that specifically.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

grats. can i ask how you spent your SP along the way?

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure it went Lit Bolt -> Arc Lit -> Lit Bolt Upgrades (charges, judge bolt, damage, range later) -> Heaven's Wrath -> Arc/Wrath upgrades (not sure which ones, but culling for wrath was pretty early) -> support skills -> MM because I needed something to kill nests that didn't use up my valuable charges -> Chain Lit -> more skills and Chain Lit upgrades.

If I were to do it again, I'd get Chain Lit sooner as it became my bread and butter map nuker after Heaven's Wrath had made clouds everywhere.

My normal process on entering a level would be Heaven's Wrath x 2, Lit Bolt to give myself Lightning Resist, then Chain Lightning which would arc around the whole map (including myself) and fry everything.

Shock Value was super useful as well, as it made half the level berserk after Heaven's Wrath killed all the weak monsters

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm on floor 20 in a run where I took every level 1 spell, then Cantrip Cascade, and proceeded to upgrade the poo poo out of all my cantrips. The only other spells I have are utility stuff. I picked up the skill that buffs all Sorcery spells and the one that gives you a shield when you cast Arcane spells.

I'm basically toting around an explosive wizard shotgun that gives me super armour. I can delete minibosses such as enemy wizards and monster kings in one, maybe two cascades. I constantly blow myself the gently caress up and "Player" is invariably the highest source of damage to me after a floor is done. This game loving rules